/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread What monsters do you think are woefully underused in most campaigns?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/557820938402947072?lang=pt
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557823175581769729?lang=pt
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkpZBnJ_
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Asmodeus

Wtf is up with /5eg/s penchant for Generals fuckery?

speaking of asmodeous, has there been any attempt at converting the way of the wicked campaign into 5e?

>statting an estoc
1d8 piercing two handed finesse is alright, maybe make it a d10.
If you really want a special ability, make it +1 to hit against metal armor.

I'm about to DM a story about a Githzerai and a Slaad who end up in the material plane. Players may ally themselves with the Gith, and try to banish or kill the slaad. But I'm really struggling with a motive for the slaad that makes it behave like anything more than a beast. Could use some help.

sixth for gladiuses are shortswords

What are you talking about? I mean, specifically.

Yeah when I thought about it a bit more I realised that it doesn't make any sense to make it a d8 when two-handed longswords are a d10, unless you assume piercing attacks are inherently less damaging than cutting attacks which would be taking huge liberties with interpretation.

The special effect would be 90% DM fiat I guess because 5e doesn't really differentiate between different types of armour. I'd want it to have an effect against leather and certain forms of natural armour too though.

Reminder that Magic Missile is an area of effect attack that has a very flexible area of effect that can't really be called an 'area'.

Learn it already you faggots.

>unless you assume piercing attacks are inherently less damaging than cutting attacks
That would be pretty stupid considering that irl it's the exact opposite.

The fact that there are two (2) Generals going right now, and no one seems to be batting an eye. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

>attack
TRIGGERED

Because the retard who posted the other thread didn't link to it in the previous one

>Reminder that Magic Missile is an area of effect
Reminder each missile receives +int damage from the evocation school level 10 ability because of this and you roll missile damage once

Somebody did their homework.

I love when people who doesn't like it to work like this get in denial

That's not how that works. How many threads is this going to take.

Do you guys ever do collaborative skill checks? It doesn't work with a lot of skills but last night I was DMing a party who were squaring up against a group of thugs and I had two people step forward wanting to do the required intimidate check to get them to back down. In the end I got three of them to all roll intimidation checks to see if they would combine to beat a DC of 40 (which they did.)

Any other examples?

Tell that to Crawford :^)

twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/557820938402947072?lang=pt

The true and only general thread.

BTFO

>redirected to this thread in that thread
can we just fucking decide already?

Two /5eg/s running at full power consecutively.

This was all intended.

Yes, we have decided. That thread has more posts, which means it's a real general.

I do these all the time, stuff like combining Athletics rolls to push a huge stone statue aside. Builds camaraderie.

>he said, posting in this thread

>twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/557820938402947072?lang=pt
ctrl+f "area"

Nope, nothing about it being an area. It's a spell that can target and deal damage to multiple target or the same target multiple times.

Not an attack.
Not an area.

OP of the other thread is a retard and didn't link it in the old thread so this is the real one

I really like ettercaps. I dream of one day making an ettercap PC.

Well, the other one is higher quality so I'll just close this tab then.

Are you blind?

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557823175581769729?lang=pt

>just like fireball
>just like fireball
>just like fireball
>just like fireball
>just like fireball

see

I read somewhere at some point that there was an extremely low level spells in some official D&D adventure that would end the world if cast. Was that in 5e, some other thing, or was it not official afterall?

this general has a better image, i'm moving to this one

slaadi are neat

That's correct. You roll damage once. 3 x (1d3+1) You don't get take-backsies if you kill someone with your "first dart". Nor do you do another attack and get a separate damage roll like with eldritch blast.

>check other thread
>last comment: "whats with all the autistic fuckery" replying to nothing
>ten minutes ago
>no comments since

Yeah, buddy, go have fun.

>3 x (1d3+1)
3 x (1d4 +1) actually, you probably mistyped tho

er uh yea. That one.
>puts away stack of d3s

>tfw I actually have d3s

Has nothing to do with it being an area spell. You just roll the damage once. Just like Fireball. Tacking on "like an area spell" or saying "it's a flexible area spell" has no meaning or justification.

Notice how these guys
make no mention of it being an area spell. You just roll damage once. Just like fireball. Damage rolling. Fireball.

Nothing to do with area.

>what is Comprehend Languages

There's no rule that says you can;t write your spellbook in a specific language is what you're saying.

Every time I come to this thread I wonder what % of people actually read the PHB and what % of people just played 3.5 and figured they already knew the rules.

>people just played 3.5 and figured they already knew the rules.
This is the biggest mistake someone could do when they start playing 5e. It's the first thing I mention when people say they will be moving from 3.5 to 5th edition

They may have been referring to the Locate City Nuke, a broken combination of metamagic feats that can cause an innocuous spell that detects cities within a few miles of you to instead utterly annihilate everything within a few miles.

Does comprehend languages work on thieves cant? Its hearing the "literal meaning" after all, and a conversation in thieves cant is disguised as a normal conversation.

[Desire to know more intensifies]

You are correct that the trick behind thieves cant is that it uses normal words. Comprehend languages only tells you how the words literally translate, not the subtext that thieves cant uses.

Snowcasting feat gives your spell the [Cold] tag

Flash Frost feat adds 2 cold damage/level to any [Cold] spell. Not a damaging spell, any spell.

Energy Admixture Feat turns [Cold] damage to thunder damage.

Born of Three Thunders feat makes it half electric, half sonic and adds a reflex save knockdown effect

Explosive spell means if you fail a reflex save you'r blasted back to the perimeter of the spell and take 1d6 for every 10ft moved.

Locate City has a rance of 1 mile/caster level.

Anyone within X miles takes 5 cold damage, 2.5 electric damage and 2.5 sonic damage. Anyone who additionally fails their reflex save is plasted back X miles or until they hit a structure, taking Xd6 damage depending on how far they explode (including straight up if you cast it underground).

The trick doesn't work, but it's cool nonetheless.

I don't know what you think I'm arguing here.

The only thing I'm arguing against is the semantics of saying
>is an area of effect attack

It is neither an attack, nor an area effect.

It's a spell that deals force damage to X targets. You roll the damage once, and empowered evocation is applied to it [just like fireball].

>Not an attack
>Not an area effect

Also in addition to this carnage, you also still know the location of any cities within X miles.

Chances are they're uninhabited now though

Okay, here's the short version of how it works.

Locate City is a simple divination spell that does exactly what its name says. Its radius is 10 miles per caster level.

Snowcasting is a feat that gives any spell the [Cold] tag and adds some snow to its material components.

Flash Frost Spell is a feat that adds 2 cold damage to any [Cold] spell that affects an area.

Energy Admixture is a feat that takes any spell that deals energy damage and makes it into a blend of two different types of energy. You can use it to take a Flash Frost/Snowcasted Locate City and make it deal a blend of cold damage and electricity damage

Born of the Three Thunders is a feat that adds sonic damage to a spell that deals electricity damage and knocks them prone if they fail a Reflex save.

Explosive Spell is a feat that takes an area spell that requires a Reflex save and causes it to push all creatures inside its area out to the edge of its area, and they take an extra 1d6 damage per 10 feet they were pushed.

With all these metamagic feats applied to it, Locate City is an 8th-level spell that deals an arbitrarily large amount of damage to everything within at least 150 miles.

Or they have a really pretty coat of blood and body parts.

>The only thing I'm arguing against is the semantics of saying
>is an area of effect attack
You are right, it's not an AoE spell, but it uses the same rules than one (roll damage once)

Bullwugs

Actually they will be inhabited with the few pick pockets and theives who had at least 2 levels of rogue and were lucky enough to pass a dex saving throw.

They band together and form The Kings Of Hiroshima

Are you trying to run Demon Stone?

Posted this in the other thread. Looking for opinions on this archetype, as a note this is based off the Revised Ranger.

Kenku

Bullywugs are out. Grungs are in.

It has a range, up to 3 targets at 1st level whithin range.
Not area of effect.

Seems alright. I'm not sure on the wording of that last level 15 feature, but I think it's fine.

I think overall it add a nice degree of melee ability and stealth attack options. Not sure what else you could name it though. Maybe Brushblade?

This is pretty neat, are there more custom builds like this?

>custom builds

I have these that I threw together months ago and never looked at again.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkpZBnJ_

The idea is that they're supposed to be part of a very specific homebrew world a la Battlerager or Purple Dragon Knight, so take that as you will.

I have some stats for non evil toad/frogmen in my setting. Here you go.
Skin Secretions: You gain resistance to Acid and Fire damage

Speed: Your speed is 30 ft.

Subrace: Two subraces of Grippli populate the world: Broadbellow Grippli and Longleap Grippli. Choose one of these subraces.

BROADBELLOW GRIPPLI

Size: Medium

Ability Score Increase: Choose Strength or Constitution. The chosen score increases by 2, the other increases by 1.

Booming Bellow: As an action, you may bellow with all your might. Any creature within a 15 ft cone must make a Strength saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier. A creature takes 2d6 thunder damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful save. At 6th level, a creature that fails its save against this ability is also pushed 15 feet away. At 11th level, that creature is also knocked prone. At 16th level, that creature is also stunned until the end of their next turn. After you use booming bellow, you can’t use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

Tenacious Tongue: When you take the grapple action in combat, your reach for grappling increases by 5 feet.
LONGLEAP GRIPPLI

Size: Small

Ability Score Increase: Choose Dexterity or Intelligence. The chosen score increases by 2, the other increases by 1.

Standing Leap: Your long jump is up to 20 feet and your high jump is up to 10 feet, without a running start. Double these ranges for a running start.

Gripping Digits: You can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings without needing to make an ability check.

say that to my face not online see what happens

It might also have been Pun-Pun, a kobold spellcaster who at level 5 could acquire any ability in the game, including godhood, and raise his stats arbitrarily high. The trick involves turning himself into an extinct reptile progenitor race from Forgotten Realms backstory and bestowing abilities upon his viper familiar who can then bestow those same abilities upon him in return.

That's the most hilarious shit I've read all day.
>the trick doesn't work
What, in real life? As long as it all adds up it works, and is probably also the RAWest thing in history. Pun intended.

Brushblade is a pretty cool name for it, think I'll use it. As for the wording, I worded it like that so as to play off of FotW. So when you run by, you can attack twice each time. This is to add a degree of viability to dual wielders late game, and to also make up for the fact this archetype doesn't get Extra Attack.

Custom builds? I have a few more homebrew options I've made, haven't playtested them much though.

Where are you getting these feats?

They're all from 3.5

A shitload of splatbooks. Locate Cityis in Races Of Destiny ffs, the most worthless splatbook

Lack of a better phrase I guess, in a hurry and just wanted the point across.
what would be a proper name?

Thanks though.

Just homebrew archetypes would be a good phrase for it.

Does 5E have stats for firearms, mortars and so on? I remember seeing them somewhere, but can´t find them.

They're in the DMG where they belong

DMG, page 267

Thank you.

Is revised ranger OP? My DM lmay et one of our players use it but we don't know if it's broken

Naw, it's more on par with paladins now.

Don't let them multiclass.

Beastmaster is a little strong beause Wolf as a pet is very strong, if they take pretty much anything else they are fine.

Rolled 2 (1d20)

THREAD CHALLENGE

>Rolled 18 (1d20)
This thread has lost. It's a TPK.
Migrate to receive your new party.

Remember to move back to this one once that other one is past bump if it's still up.

So I'm unhappy with the rules for way getting people back on their feet when they're knocked out/ dying work. Just getting someone back to 1HP and them having all the abilities back in the world doesn't quite fly with me- I'm sure some of you have watched stuff like Critical Role where sometimes it just turned into a heal train.

So I was wondering if any of you have systems in place to make it more challenging or what you'd do. Bring back negative hit-points? Or maybe the rezzed has disadvantage on all rolls for the next round?

Whatever happened to the Grippli?

Wait, so does Reanimator just summon CR 1/4 skeletons no matter what? Seems like it wouldn't scale particularly well.

Someone at 0HP can't act again until they finish a short rest, even if they're healed in the meantime. That way they won't be so confident in their ability to survive a brief journey into 0HP.

>150 miles
>792000d6+2
Jesus fucking christ.

Grippli are tree frogs. Grungs are poison dart frogs. Learn the difference; it may save your life.

I remember playing that, but don't quite remember what it's about.

Estoc
martial weapon, 25 gp, 3 lb.
1d8 piercing (versatile 1d10)

NOT FINESSE

This. Sneaky little raven men? Where the fuck are they?

I'm new to this sort of thing. I don't want to play anything standard like a dwarf or elf or anything. Can I play something weird like a ratman or Troglodyte? How would that work?

>NOT FINESSE
Butthurt brigade at it again.

I just want my weird frog/toad people with their frog language, with frog houses, frog clothing, frog music, frog weapons, and frog ruins to their frog/toad demon gods.

Fucking Ice Toads have their own language. Ice Toads then must have their own society.

Slaad fit the bill for frog/toad demons. Weird and chaotic in nature.

They just released a book with a variety of weird playable races in it. But before you do this you may want to sit down, take a deep breath, look inside yourself, and ask yourself why you want to play something weird. That kind of introspection will prevent yet another gaming group of three tieflings and a dragonborn.

Because I'm tired of dwarves and elves. I'm already a human so I don't see much point in playing that. I don't want a mary sue race, the opposite really. I want to play a shitty stupid little sewer vermin or something akin to it.

Thanks user. what's the book called? Or is it already in the OP omnibus?

>implying all froglike people are the same
>just lumping grippli, grungs, bullywugs, neraphim, and fucking slaad all into the same category

It's like you don't even care

It's called Volo's Guide to Monsters. It's probably in the mega somewhere. Goblins and kobolds fit the bill of simpering weaklings who get no respect, but kobolds turned out to be weirdly strong, so maybe ask your DM first.