D&D 4e General /4eg/

D&D 4e General /4eg/

Have you ever played a pixie, or played with or GMed for a pixie? Were they cute? What did they do? Do you think pixies are overpowered with their Tiny size and super-jumping?

If you are GMing, remember...
1. To strongly consider giving out at least one free "tax feat," like Expertise and pre-errata Melee Training.
2. To use Monster Manual 3/Monster Vault/Monster Vault: Nentir Vale/Dark Sun Creature Catalog math. Avoid or manually update anything with Monster Manual 1 or 2 math.
3. That skill challenges have always been scene-framing devices for the GM, that players should never be overtly told that they are in a skill challenge, and that the Rules Compendium has the most up-to-date skill DCs and skill challenge rules.

If you would like assistance with character optimization, remember to tell us what the what the rest of the players are playing, what books are allowed, your starting level, the highest level you expect to reach, what free feats you receive, if anything is banned, whether or not themes are allowed, your starting equipment, and how much you dislike item-dependent builds.
If you wish to talk about settings, 4e's settings are Points of Light (the planes and the natural world's past empires are heavily detailed in various sourcebooks and magazines), 4e Forgotten Realms, 4e Eberron, 4e Dark Sun, and whatever setting you would like to bring into 4e.

Useful resources: pastebin.com/85Hm56k5
Online compendium: funin.space/

>tfw some dude offers to open up lewd 4E game and then disappears
Feels bad. I would just like to try 4E, is that too much to ask for? Lewds aren't even required.

Rogue attack powers are weird, the best option is so much better than the other options at pretty much all levels except level 15, where you have 5 options of approximately equal value

And yet, even with those powerful options, they can never be as good as a ranger

I played a Pixie Barbarian once. Basically hear them as an irate Irishman to the typical irate Scotsman dwarf. Except with more slamming of spikes into people's legs.

Pixies make pretty damn good barbarians as far as races without a strength bonus go.

This would be the game offer in question: Small size rules out a fullblade, and charging is less important for barbarians by the time they can afford to operate under a "stand and bang" build with multiattacks.

small size rules out a fullblade, but it rules in the scrappy feat, and since you aren't charging that much, the bonus damage from scrappy outweighs the bonus damage from two-handed weapon expertise in paragon

Scrappy says, "Prerequisite: Small size." Pixies are not Small-sized.

Even if they could take Scrappy, the feat would be inferior to using a higher-[W] weapon for barbarians' high-[W] powers. The fullblade also comes with the high crit property, and barbarians certainly want to optimize for critical hit-fishing.

I'm going to be playing a human sized pixie in a Pathfinder game that's coming up. I hope she's going to be cute.

>Human Sized Pixie
Explain this meme

I don't want to drag my DM too far into my magical realm when she's taking human pets.

You're going to be using Reduce Person a lot, aren't you?

Don't need to, she's already human sized.

What anime characters work well as 4E characters?

2hus.

What would you prefer as a 4e retroclone?

- just a math fix (not so viable since it is easy and CBLoader) or removing the whole +1/2 level (that only creates a false assumption of power growth) alongside it?
- scalable encounter powers so you don't need to replace Brute Strike (3 [W]) for Bruter Strike (5 [W]) like plenty of higher level powers are.
- getting rid of dailies, instead turning them into encounters that can be augmented (by spending AP, HS or whatever)
- Try to fit into OGL or fuck-hasbro-down-with-the-law?

You can add other ideas. Please do.

Why no both?

>not so viable since it is easy and CBLoader
I'm not following along here.

Personally I would like scalable creatures similiar to what, for example, Fantasy Craft has.

I would also like more utility power or utility "stuff" not tied to the power system.

Dragon Forest guy here.

Working on finalizing my roster of classes for this 4E-inspired game I've been working on.
There will be twelve classes that will work very similarly to popular classes in 4E D&D while being different enough to be legally distinct.
I'm combining influence from both the most recent Gamma World edition and Japanese SRS games, so you select up to three character classes (you can select a class more than once). Then you select your role. This isn't like Strike though where role and class are completely discrete; each class favors a certain role, and your choice of role can open up or close off class features. There are only three roles: defense, support, and control. The striker role is diffused into the other three.

The classes are:

>Slayer (Veteran Defense)
Based on Fighters
Rewards use of oversized weapons, like Guts from Berserk

>Bravo (Veteran Support)
Based on Warlords

>Ascetic (Veteran Control)
Loosely based on Monks

>Elemental (Occult, Defense)
Based on Swordmages/Sorcerers
More of a Frost-Cheese/Radiant-Mafia bent.

>Magician (Occult, Support)
Based on Bards/Artificers

>Summoner (Occult, Control)
Based on Wizards/Warlocks

>Lycanthrope (Beast, Defense)
based on Wardens/Barbarians/Druids
Features beast forms.

>Puppeteer (Beast, Support)
Based on Shamans/Druids
Summons a construct named Marrionette.

>Hunter (Beast, Control)
based on Seekers/Rangers
Uses guns, with bullets infused with blood magic. Inspired by the game Bloodborne.

>Revenant (Undead, Defense)
based on Paladins/Blackguards/Vampires, with a delayed damage pool from 3.5's Crusader (Tome of Battle)

>Geist (Undead, Support)
Based on Runepriests/Clerics
Swaps between light and dark states.
Dark state has more of a mobility and evasion bent with teleportation and invisibility effects.

>Psychopomp (Undead, Control)
Based on Avenger/Invoker
Write enemy names on your list and call out the names to buff your offense or apply status effects against those enemies.

Why are you defusing striker instead of controller when control is the easiest job in 4e to fulfill as a non-controller class?

Are you working on something?
If so I'd like me some more support for systems like martial practices, rituals, alchemy and power points.

Super jumping?

Playing a pixie in my current game, he is decidedly not cute. He rides a mount, so tiny size doesn't do much for him.

>character optimization
If you're offering, I'd like some advice:

I'd like to play a melee striker or defender (I'd prefer defender) with an elemental / arcane theme and lots of teleporting (primarily himself but maybe also his enemies).
Now Swordmage probably fits best for that but if you suggest something else that's fine too.
I'm allowed all books but essential classes themselves are out (so essentials feats yes, essentialls classes no).
No themes, starting equipment as per normal rules.
Starting level will be 3-5.
Expected final level: Mid-Paragon
Free Feats: One Expertise feat of characters choice.

The 1/2 level thing works well for campaigns with an "epic" focus, like a wuxia campaign or a godslayer campaign. Personally the "math fix" I'd like to see as an option would be getting rid of the 1/2 level bonus and capping attribute totals like 5e does to make non-optimal race/class combos better

Also I like dailies, having a once-per-day supernova capacity is so much fun, especially with powers that do really flashy things like boulder charge or blizzard

Also also, do not do what Strike! does, that shit should never be replicated

>Also also, do not do what Strike! does, that shit should never be replicated
What's wrong with Strike? I've only recently heard of it and haven't had a chance to read through it yet.

Its easier to list what's right with strike.

That's not very helpful

I'm thinking of adapting psionics to 5e. I'll use the tone of the mystic ua and fill in the blanks with the 4e psionics.

Worked. Thinking of reworking on it.

Dailies wouldn't end. They would become encounter power but with "spend 1 Action Point for greater effect. You can't spend another AP on this power until the next day".
This reduce the power bloat and opens for more diverse powers.

I _think_ his problem is probably getting rid of stats and relying entirely on re-fluffing things. At least, I can't think of anything else that stands out as being especially bad.