What's the best rules system to run an Elder Scroll's Themed RPG session ?

What's the best rules system to run an Elder Scroll's Themed RPG session ?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit
web.archive.org/web/20070509175304/http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_anniv/tenth_anniv-arena.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Start with checking out UESRPG, a pretty good unofficial game that's about to get its third edition. It's the closest you'll get to a proper TES system.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit

If you don't like that, there's always GURPS.

Just get super high and freeform it

Get out of here Kirkbride

At least keep your shitty video-game discussions in the containment thread, please.

Namefagging here. Check out the UESRPG. The beta for 3rd ed is gonna be pumped out officially in a few days. All of us working on it are pretty proud of it. Expect an announcement here in the /esg/ hopefully this weekend.

If you have any questions about it is be happy to answer and shill the system

I'd do the UESRPG myself, like suggested. It's about to get a 3rd edition in about a week or so too, so best time to hop in with it.

>What's the best rules system to run an Elder Scroll's Themed RPG session ?
Every session, remove a few rules without telling anyone. Do this until there aren't any rules. Then drop acid and tell your players that you've become the the Numidium, and smash the table. If they question what happened, tell them that all possible sessions occurred simultaneously, including ones that made sense and didn't cause anyone to call the cops.

Weird, was the map in Oblivion actually bigger than the map in Skyrim?

That is legitimately how you play "Dawn Era: The RPG".

>about a week or so
That soon? Seht and Co. either waited a long time about announcing the new edition, or they're working fast as fuck.
Hopefully I'll manage to find/assemble some sort of group, to play it. I've only had the chance to try a oneshot so far, and that's been a good while ago.

The playable area is roughly the same in both, I think.
It's certainly no Daggerfall.

And the map in Daggerfall was vastly larger than the maps in any of the other games which ostensibly cover larger areas. We don't talk about the inter-game scale problems.

VENGEANCE

whew whats with the colour code?

It's been a fast development cycle. We've got a solid core of devs working literally every day for the past month or so revamping a lot of the game to make it as simplified as we can while maintaining as much depth of gameplay as possible, and in the case of vanilla combat, expanding its gameplay while also cutting down on the math as much as possible. I am personally pretty proud of how the revised combat has worked out.

Blue for guilds
Orange for shops
Green for taverns/inns

Go back to your crypt, Lysandus. You were a shit king anyway.

Sounds good, I'm eager to see the release.

Okay, this is really important. Can I take out a loan and buy a boat? And let's assume I decide not to pay the bankers, because now I'm a super cool pirate with a boat... what kind of collection agents can I expect? Are they gonna buy a boat to come and find me? Are there rules for naval warfare?

>not even including the witch houses
Max plebeian

There will be naval rules in the GMs guide or a mass battle supplement we've been discussing. It'll likely get lumped into the GMs guide. It's gonna be great.

You're making the Empire great again, huh?

Red: vendor
Blue: quest hub
Green: Inn or pub

Make Broadswords Great Again

What kind of Elder Scrolls are we talking about? Morrowind is radically different from Oblivion is radically different from Skyrim, etc.

This nigga gets it

GURPS

UESRPG guy here. Just made a big post about the direction of 3e on our subreddit, link via the the link compendium in Our 3e core book will be up soon, but it's not going to be as usable right away as the 2e stuff as we will be lacking a bestiary for a little while. I still recommend it though, as the game itself is just straight better designed in 3e.

I can answer questions if you have any. OP or anyone else.

>Begins to kowtow
WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

Adding to that map, there's also Battlespire, which takes place in space and Oblivion.

>mass battle supplement
That sounds interesting.

Any major system changes, or mostly rebalancing and adding new content?

Magic rewritten, combat tweaked and redone, luck is now also "lucky numbers" you want to roll and a bit more. It's going to be awesome!

Bow before the gears!

The post sums it up, but basically everything got overhauled. I'm pretty hyped.

Aside from the unofficial Elder Scrolls RPG, you have a few options. Runequest is what the TES1 and TES2 mechanics were inspired by, so there's that. Myself, I rather like the BECMI (or Rules Cyclopedia) version of D&D for its simplicity and interesting mechanics (like mass combat rules, airship mechanics, air combat rules, and domain (settlement) rules)- freebie version of this with all errata would be Dark Dungeons by Blacky the Blackball.

Merchant rules in "Republic of Darokin" and "Mithronad Guilds" releases in TSR's "Gazetteer" series, underwater combat and werefolk rules found in their "Creature Crucible" series.

I still need to get Dark Dungeons. I got his Darker Dungeons and I love it but I'd also like a more BECMI/RC proper game and his Dark Dungeons is about as close as one can get I hear.

But as for using it to run Elder Scrolls? D&D as a whole is probably bad but some of it's non-character mechanics are decent. I'd say try a classless system for character creation and combat for flexibility and growth but steal other systems as needed.

Weren't Peterson and LeFay big D&D nerds before they made Arena? Wasn't D&D the place where all that TES stuff lived before Arena came along?
I mean, Arena even has a descending AC system.

Okay, confirmed: Tamriel started life as a D&D campaign. Source: Elderscrolls.com, circa 2007:

web.archive.org/web/20070509175304/http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_anniv/tenth_anniv-arena.htm

>The world used for Arena was Tamriel, the fantasy world created by a few members of the staff for use in their weekly D&D campaign.