/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Tora Tora Tora Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/koj4kwg87zz97z7/Osprey - CAM 062 - Pearl Harbor 1941.pdf
mediafire.com/file/p8665nhv58f6ucu/Osprey - ELI 080 - The US Navy in World War II.pdf
mediafire.com/file/592xuzcrdbt3bup/Osprey - ELI 086 - Japanese Naval Aviation Uniforms and Equipment 1937-45.pdf
mediafire.com/file/178a08h8t4lj2m8/Osprey - WAR 055 - Imperial Japanese Naval Aviator 1937-45.pdf
strawpoll.me/11834842/r
strawpoll.me/11834895
strawpoll.me/11835002/r
www22.zippyshare.com/v/sQ5XR5HB/file.html
www22.zippyshare.com/v/u5j0dCNi/file.html
www81.zippyshare.com/v/z6E3ssPt/file.html
www81.zippyshare.com/v/ZAGDNQjY/file.html
perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_74_78&products_id=3085&osCsid=lkignrb0g3i64s4hsgd9kple57
perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_74_77&products_id=3099&osCsid=lkignrb0g3i64s4hsgd9kple57
tamiya.com/english/products/37009flak37_tobruk/index.htm
store.warlordgames.com/collections/german-afrika-korps/products/german-88mm-flak-36
mega.nz/#F!HtcgSYrb!HgR5pSOWIfNorIsZ9LBBNA
mediafire.com/file/i51jtt3sxo7pybg/Osprey - DUE 077 - Bazooka vs Panzer.pdf
mediafire.com/file/4hazj4tbrf5z4ei/Osprey - WAR 188 - British Commando 1940-45.pdf
olicanalad.blogspot.co.nz/2016/04/austrian-army-finished-roll-call.html
olicanalad.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/prussian-army-finished-roll-call.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

8th of December in military history:

395 – Later Yan is defeated by its former vassal Northern Wei at the Battle of Canhe Slope.
1432 – The first battle between the forces of Švitrigaila and Sigismund Kęstutaitis is fought near the town of Oszmiana (Ashmyany), launching the most active phase of the Lithuanian Civil War.
1914 – World War I: A squadron of Britain's Royal Navy defeats the Imperial German East Asia Squadron in the Battle of the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.
1941 – World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt declares December 7 to be "a date which will live in infamy", after which the U.S. declares war on Japan.
1941 – World War II: Japanese forces simultaneously invade Shanghai International Settlement, Malaya, Thailand, Hong Kong, the Philippines, and the Dutch East Indies. (See December 7 for the concurrent attack on Pearl Harbor in the Western Hemisphere.)
1971 – Indo-Pakistani War: The Indian Navy launches an attack on West Pakistan's port city of Karachi.
1988 – A United States Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II crashes into an apartment complex in Remscheid, Germany, killing 5 people and injuring 50 others.

This week marks 75 years since the attack on Pearl Harbor, also known as the Battle of Pearl Harbor, the Hawaii Operation or Operation AI by the Japanese Imperial General Headquarters, and Operation Z during planning. It was a surprise military strike by the Imperial Japanese Navy against the United States naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Territory, and led to the United States' entry into World War II.

Japan intended the attack as a preventive action to keep the U.S. Pacific Fleet from interfering with military actions the Empire of Japan planned in Southeast Asia against overseas territories of the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and the United States. Over the next seven hours there were coordinated Japanese attacks on the U.S.-held Philippines, Guam and Wake Island and on the British Empire in Malaya, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

The attack commenced at 7:48 a.m. Hawaiian Time. The base was attacked by 353 Imperial Japanese fighter planes, bombers, and torpedo planes in two waves, launched from six aircraft carriers. All eight U.S. Navy battleships were damaged, with four sunk. All but the USS Arizona (BB-39) were later raised, and six were returned to service and went on to fight in the war. The Japanese also sank or damaged three cruisers, three destroyers, an anti-aircraft training ship, and one minelayer. 188 U.S. aircraft were destroyed; 2,403 Americans were killed and 1,178 others were wounded. Important base installations such as the power station, shipyard, maintenance, and fuel and torpedo storage facilities, as well as the submarine piers and headquarters building (also home of the intelligence section) were not attacked. Japanese losses were light: 29 aircraft and five midget submarines lost, and 64 servicemen killed. One Japanese sailor, Kazuo Sakamaki, was captured.

The attack came as a profound shock to the American people and led directly to the American entry into World War II. The following day, December 8, the United States declared war on Japan. Domestic support for non-interventionism, which had been fading since the Fall of France in 1940, disappeared. Clandestine support of the United Kingdom was replaced by active alliance. Subsequent operations by the U.S. prompted Germany and Italy to declare war on the U.S. on December 11, which was reciprocated by the U.S. the same day.

There were numerous historical precedents for unannounced military action by Japan. However, the lack of any formal warning, particularly while negotiations were still apparently ongoing, led President Roosevelt to proclaim it "a date which will live in infamy". Because the attack happened without a declaration of war and without explicit warning, the attack on Pearl Harbor was judged by the Tokyo Trials to be a war crime.

The Japanese planners had determined that some means was required for rescuing fliers whose aircraft were too badly damaged to return to the carriers. The island of Niihau, 30 minutes flying time from Pearl Harbor, was designated as the rescue point.

The Zero flown by Petty Officer Nishikaichi of Hiryu was damaged in the attack, so he flew to the rescue point on Niihau. The aircraft was further damaged on landing. Nishikaichi was helped from the wreckage by one of the native Hawaiians, who, aware of the tension between the United States and Japan, took the pilot's maps and other documents. The island's residents had no telephones or radio and were completely unaware of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Nishikaichi enlisted the support of three Japanese-American residents in an attempt to recover the documents. During the ensuing struggles, Nishikaichi was killed and a Hawaiian civilian was wounded; one collaborator committed suicide, and his wife and the third collaborator were sent to prison.

Pearl Harbour has a promising basis for wargaming. Players could explore various alternate scenarios, mostly revolving about the US fleet having warning of the attack, or the Japanese deciding to go for a third wave. It isn't really a situation where you play to "win"; rather the goals would be to meet various mission objectives while denying the same to the enemy. At the strategic level it could be a grand campaign co-coordinating the air and naval elements. Or on a more modest scale, players could simulate the actual bombing runs on Battleship Row.

mediafire.com/file/koj4kwg87zz97z7/Osprey - CAM 062 - Pearl Harbor 1941.pdf
mediafire.com/file/p8665nhv58f6ucu/Osprey - ELI 080 - The US Navy in World War II.pdf
mediafire.com/file/592xuzcrdbt3bup/Osprey - ELI 086 - Japanese Naval Aviation Uniforms and Equipment 1937-45.pdf
mediafire.com/file/178a08h8t4lj2m8/Osprey - WAR 055 - Imperial Japanese Naval Aviator 1937-45.pdf

This month's community project is a food/drink-related mini or unit.

Since I had a lazy snow day today and didn't see this until after the last thread closed

>Wait. We have Americans on /hwg/?
Not only am I American, I don't live in New England, and I don't play BA or FoW.

I'm that guy who occasionally mentions CoC, mostly because its the only historical rules I actually play. though I've been eying a few others lately (all your enthusiasm is contagious, rip my wallet).

Got my 4 Vickers mark E tanks today from UM. Damn Ukrainians and their photo-etched metal parts!

Well the metal parts are ok, and I can deal with having to use 2 types of glue, but the double bogey wheels are not fun, and the tracks are not going to be fun either. Its going to take me 4 times longer to build this tank than a fast build kit, and the result will be largely the same.
Then I have to build 3 more...

Size-wise its shorter than an SDK-222, and I know my Chinese are going to squander these tanks in dense city fighting with little knowledge of combined infantry-tank tactics.

Probably go for a grey-ish color like pic related (different kit I think though, the painted one)

An older friend gave me a Squad Leader box yesterday because he already had too many. Fucking great! Now how to begin with this monster.

It's probably the best gateway into that kind of hex-and-chit gaming, being a lot more accessible than most people would think. The complications came later, with the expansions. But straight out of the box it's pretty much a perfect game. Then of course there's ASL too, but you get to that in good time.

user mr. E from Edinburgh could expect a package soon, posted it today. Needs to cross the North Sea first so give it a week.

SL's not a monster. It becomes a mess when you add all the other expansions, but don't do that if you don't have them.

Noice, I'll be on the lookout.

If you've got the original rulebook it's organised for learning. Scenario 1 has infantry only, with enough rules for them to move and shoot.
Basic SL was a great game. Not too complicated, plenty of scope.

I just got a box from the Netherlands. Thanks user! Should i open it already? Or do we wait until everyone got his? Or until Christmas?

Sent one to a Hampshire user today. Good luck getting into it through all the packing tape.

Your call. I'll be tempted to leave it until around Christmas. A few days before perhaps.

What country are you from
strawpoll.me/11834842/r

What armies do you own?
strawpoll.me/11834895
If you want you can specify the armies in the thread but there are too many flavours so i just went with era's

Also I forgot everything to do with Air.

>country
>Africa

:^)

>What country are you from
Hungary, which isn't one of the options.

Asia is on the list bru

But really, that list could be a bit better with options like "other european country" or something along these lines.

I assume Soviets count as "Allied" in WW2?

I planned to do Europe - Other but I forgot.

No Australia? Wtf

Yep

Just vote UK

It's the only answer that matters.

Fucked up hard so here's another one
strawpoll.me/11835002/r

>Australia and all those other fucking Islands in the fucking pacific

Like Japan?

That would be "east Asia" i guess.

Never seen papua's running after dingo's either.

Technicaly Japan could be either one. I counted it as East Asia though.

Osprey - DUE 077 - Bazooka vs Panzer.pdf
www22.zippyshare.com/v/sQ5XR5HB/file.html

Osprey - WAR 188 - British Commando 1940-45.pdf
www22.zippyshare.com/v/u5j0dCNi/file.html

Osprey - NVG 240 - M50 Ontos and M56 Scorpion 1956-1970.pdf

www81.zippyshare.com/v/z6E3ssPt/file.html
Osprey - COM 117 - Tempest Squadrons of the RAF.pdf

www81.zippyshare.com/v/ZAGDNQjY/file.html

Finally got around to testing Fear Naught! Blasted through the Battle of Coronel with a buddy of mine.

Took about an hour and a half, with the end result being a crushing defeat for the British despite some early success in destroying the Gneisenau with a lucky salvo and routing one of the German light cruisers.

The game was quick to learn and simple to play. Very happy with it.

I'm looking to get in 10mm ancient war gaming.

Should I be looking back at Warmaster Ancients or use the "inches to cm" conversion and play Hail Caesar?

My initial inclination is to Warmaster because its a game I have fond memories of (came and left while I was working at GW many years ago), but I feel like Hail Caesar is the 'current' game, even if not designed for 10mm scale, although I've heard the movement in HC at 10mm is horrendously slow (units moving 6cm at a time etc).

Thoughts?

Sorry if this question is asked a lot.

Sub question - I have no idea how to base for Hail Caesar.

Fuck it. Patience was never my strength.

And unwrapped. Thank you alot Netherland-user!

I actually have some BA stuff, but no Brits. Maybe i'll put it into service with my Soviets as L+L vehicle. A captured German carrier might also be an Idea.

HC with centimeters. Base whatever seems good.

>Christmas paper

Well mine is gonna seem very unchristmassy for whoever gets it

I feel a bit thick for not thinking of that as well actually

I made a poem

It certainly is a nice touch.

I thought all the non 40k Americans lived in Dixie

I was shopping for one of those last night actually. I'll probably go with the First to Fight kit.

Any idea where to source some wooden wheels for a horse-drawn PaK36? (Hopefully without ending up with a wheel-less wagon)

4Ground does some interesting carts and carriages from mdf, maybe you can use wheels from those?

>but I feel like Hail Caesar is the 'current' game, even if not designed for 10mm scale

>10mm
>scale
I cry errytime.

Seriously though Warlord's regiment sized games are not designed for any practical scale (because surprisingly few people have tables in the size required to field the amount of 28mm figures the game was aimed at), so modify as you feel necessary if you choose to use them. Bases really don't matter, they don't really even need to be equivalent between armies, the system relies on model-count to indicate size of unit more than anything else, so use whatever if you go down that route.

Isn't the 'proper' scale for 10mm something like 1:30.5 though? Seems a bit awkward.

I'm looking for 28mm DAK 8.8cm Flak 36 crew; if possible, with the gun too. Any suggestions?

Closer to 1:144
Either way it's a size not a scale. It's fine to just say '10mm' or 10mm miniatures'. Tacking scale on is just anus aggravating and I wish people would stop.
/buttflusteredgrognard.

Have you checked Perry?

If your definition of 28mm includes 1:48 kits then Tamiya has a Tobruk set with that gun. Italeri does the gun with carriage, but without the scenery.

>Heroic and ros is down without word of when it will be back up

Man, why do people insist on reproducing and do anything other than manufacture miniatures?

So inconvenient.

Perry:

Gun:

perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_74_78&products_id=3085&osCsid=lkignrb0g3i64s4hsgd9kple57

Crew:

perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_74_77&products_id=3099&osCsid=lkignrb0g3i64s4hsgd9kple57

Tamiya:

tamiya.com/english/products/37009flak37_tobruk/index.htm

Warlord:

store.warlordgames.com/collections/german-afrika-korps/products/german-88mm-flak-36

Sorry, 10mm *size*. I think when I first wrote the question I put in 1:120 scale then I wasn't sure if that was even correct so I changed to a format that's more commonly used.

But I digress. Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll base them as Warmaster Ancients standard since it doesn't matter for HC, that way I have more options open to me. To be honest I just quickly looked at the basing rules for HC and my mind couldn't make sense of it especially when converting size.

More than accurate rules or whatnot I'm mostly interested in the feel of epic battles; something I've been craving as my group and I have been playing mostly gmt COIN series games lately. It's a struggle to get anyone except my wife to play even a C&Colors game with me and even then she only likes Battlelore lol.

Cheers!

Not when the 1/48 includes figures.
Sweet, thanks. I KNEW I'd seen Perry crew somewhere, but for whatever reason I didn't think to check their website... herpderp.

> Posting one more time to make sure you see it

Attention "D. Reinhardt in Newmarket"

Your /hwg/ Secret Santa gift is on the way. Delivery in 7-14 days. I had to ship directly from Noble Knight Games to your address, because if I took the time to have it shipped to me in the US, repackaged it, and shipped it back to you, it would either get there at the end of January**, or it'd cost me $120 in shipping to get it to you by Christmas. I sincerely apologize for not getting the opportunity to personalize it. So if you see a Noble Knight package turn up in a week-ish, that's your Secret Santa gift. Merry Christmas and happy gaming.

bmp

Does anyone have the warlord 3/4 ton truck?

The images and info on the website is pretty lacking, it doesn't say what options the kit comes with or anything.

Bump

Great stuff Jazz. I'll add them to the MF tonight.

Can anyone suggest any manufacturers of 10mm ancient scenery (other than the few found on big sites like magister militum or pendraken) ?

Ideally looking for hill forts or other structures to recreate Britain during the time of Roman conquest. Thanks!

Try scotia grendel if you haven't already m8.
I know some of their casts look absolute dogshit but they do produce some really nice ones too.

Not a bad idea, I can get part of the force I'm looking for on here.

Shame it doesn't say when Heroic and ros will be back online.

>no New Zealand
I think there are few of us kiwis here.
I'm not voting until you go through the effort of including every country on the map

I remember seeing a film where chinese were puting improvised wooden wheels onto a field gun, I'd be keen to try to whip something like that up. Ideally mismatched - with a standard spoked steel wheel on one side, and a solid wooden cart wheel on the other.
I'll probably just use balsa wood circles scored with a pen to make it look constructed from wooden planks.
Are you also building a Chinese force?

I think Timecast might have you covered but if they do they're expensive for their size. Used to be the go-to but these days there's competition... somewhere.

If you don't mind going under-scale (which can be quite handy and a nice visual effect if you're doing big regiment units) there's some options in 6mm I believe.

BMP

Finished the first of the Vickers Mark E's. (1/72 from UM)

A very challenging kit that I by no means built well. At least I kind of know what I'm doing for the next 3.

>Are you also building a Chinese force?
Yep.

Can't find the source now or image other than attached thumbnail but recently read most of the Pak36s bought by China were equipped with spoked wheels rather than rubber tires. IIRC that source said they ordered 96 with spoked wheels and maybe 10 or so with rubber tires.

Do you think the German trained divisions would be rated as veteran or regular on a veteran-regular-conscript scale?

Or alternatively: where on a green-trained-regular-veteran-elite scale?

I would say some of the german trained divisions (which were woefully squandered in shanghai in 1937 - hurled up against heavily defended Japanese positions) would be regular, and some even veteran. Either would work fine, as many of them did have combat experience from the Japanese invasion of Manchuria and some other skirmishes in the north pre-1937.

Out of curiosity are you building them for ostfront? those infantry categories make me think so.

Mine will be for ostfront, to test out the new Chinese army list and so we can do some shanghai city-fighting against our ~250 point Japanese army.

Here's my Chinese as they currently stand. With the other 3 Vickers it will be a roughly 200 point force. I'll probably pick up some Pak36's and maybe try to piece together some mortar squads.

They're Caesar infantry (2 boxes), strelets RKKA soviet cavalry (2 boxes minus the ones with Russian soft caps), an airfix SDK and the UM Vickers.

I'd recommend checking out the book "Shanghai 1937 - Stalingrad on the Yangtze" if you haven't already. Its on audible as an audiobook, excellent account of the early Sino-Japanese conflict in the 30s

"WWII History Mag" After The Battle mega.nz/#F!HtcgSYrb!HgR5pSOWIfNorIsZ9LBBNA

You live in PNW?

Both these Ospreys are converted from epubs (not true PDFs) which is a shame because it totally screws up the layout and picture spreads, but you can't complain with free books

Bazooka vs Panzer 1944 (Osprey Duel 77)

World War II saw tanks assume a dominant role in warfare, capable of tearing through the enemy lines if left unchecked. To combat the threat posed by these armoured behemoths the United States developed the M1 Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher, better known as the Bazooka. First employed in combat during 1942, the weapon required a great deal of skill and courage to use effectively. By late 1944 it was a mainstay of the US infantry's anti-tank capabilities, alongside towed weapons, anti-tank grenades and other longer-established measures. Focusing on the savage close-quarters fighting between Germany's armoured divisions and the US infantry during the Battle of the Bulge, Steven Zaloga's absorbing study compares and assesses the strengths and limitations of the cutting-edge technology used by both sides. Featuring specially commissioned full-colour artwork and explosive battle reports, this volume casts new light on the evolving nature of infantry-versus-tank combat in the closing months of World War II.

mediafire.com/file/i51jtt3sxo7pybg/Osprey - DUE 077 - Bazooka vs Panzer.pdf

British Commando 1940-45 (Osprey Warrior 188)

With Hitler's army rampaging across Europe, Winston Churchill ordered the creation of a special fighting force - the Commandos. These valiant men were volunteers drawn from the ranks of the British Army, formed into a Special Service Brigade and put through a rigorous but highly effective training programme. Over the course of World War II they would see action in every major theatre of operation and are credited with numerous feats of gallantry during the D-Day landings. Although many units were disbanded after the war, the Royal Marine Commandos have maintained the standards of this elite fighting formation to the present day. Angus Konstam explores the history of the Commandos during their formative years, providing detailed descriptions of their training, weapons and equipment. Battle reports are accompanied by specially commissioned Osprey artwork and historical photographs, offering readers an in-depth analysis of some of the most famous fighting units in the British Army's history.

mediafire.com/file/4hazj4tbrf5z4ei/Osprey - WAR 188 - British Commando 1940-45.pdf

Great, a book on them on WW2, finally! So far there's been only the more generic one that accounted for them up till modern times and I think that included other special forces too. Thanks user!

Yes I had wondered about that when I heard of it. There's a Elite covering Army Commandos only, an old MAA for the Royal Marines, and a Battle Order. So this gives the whole arm a much more solid study.

>strawpoll.me/11834895
As it should be (said the Kiwi...) :-)

Thinking about getting into naval historical wargaming next, either WWI or Age of Sail. Which would you guys recommend?

I see all the rules in the mediafire, but is there one that's widely used or accepted as best?

What's played locally?

All things being equal, though, you're probably more likely to get people into WW1-era stuff. I can't say I understand the appeal of games that make movement meaningless compared to weapons ranges (IIRC, General Quarters has a game scale of 1cm=100 yards=4kts in a 30 second game turn. Moving 20 knots means you only go 5cm, with a 200cm weapons range, means you can shoot across a 6 foot table while only moving 2 inches) and which take place on big blue flat surfaces.

>What's played locally?
If only. I have three armies and the only one I actually get to play is my Bolt Action gnatzees.

>I can't say I understand the appeal of games that make movement meaningless compared to weapons ranges
That is a fair point, and I think that the mechanics of needing to consider the weather gauge and aim the broadside sounds more strategic than WWI naval mechanics.

I guess the next question is which period in the Age of Sail. Napoleonics would again be the most popular, and I do love Napoleonic navies, but that's not the only option...

Finished my WW1 Germans, just need to paint a few of the base decoration posts.

Next project: paint 3 bases of Soviet cavalry (6 minis) for our upcoming Khalkhin Gol battle - Soviets vs Japanese in an early war battle. Soviets will be using mostly BT-7s, infantry, artillery and air support (as well as the cavalry I need to prepare), while the Japanese will have a massive infantry force, artillery and a few Chi-Ha's.

Looking good, albeit with some really nasty moldlines. Those must be soft plastic since I think it's quite a bit harder to remove moldlines from those.

yeah some pretty ruthless moldlines on them. I should have tried harder to remove them before painting. They are soft plastic - cheap airfix minis. I think I need a new modeling knife

Looks nice.

I'd apply some brown/dark wash onto the texture paint though.

Probably a good idea. Aiming for chalky soil, but some darkness wont hurt.

Its actually baking soda and paint with some PVA. A cheap alternative to buying mud/textured paints

give it a wash (sepia can work too if you don't want to use dark brown, or maybe a mix of both) and then a light drybrush. That will add alot of depth.

painting away on my Winter Germans.
Damn, white is hard to paint...

>white is hard to paint
aaaaaaaaaaaa

My main project next year is 7yw austrians, I am terrified

I have that set as well.. lovely miniatures with only one pose among them that i don't like. The Volksgrenadiers are awesome as well.

I think i'm going to paint them in ss autumn camo to avoid the white

All that facing variety, at least.

I'm individually basing them for probably either CoC or Battlegroup.

The emhar WW1 Germans set has some good poses for variety, especially if you swap the helmets for soft caps.

I've got that book but haven't read it yet.

Not that other armies don't have similar variety. Except the russians with their green coats and red underneath.

Type 89, 94 and 95 made up the bulk of Japanese tanks at KG. Harder to get than the airfix chi ha but if you want to paint something different Frontline makes the type 89 and 95 in resin and SHQ does a metal type 94

When building an SYW army, it's important to recognise that you won't be able to accurately build and field every regiment, so just pick the prettiest and most varied.

I R 4 0
R

One more thought: the Red Box Boxer Rebellion set might provide suitable figures for peasant militia. I recall reading about ambushes in North china or Manchuria by bandits/militia armed with melee weapons.

Have you seen the figures by Stone wall Miniatures in person? They have a china range but I've never seen them painted up anywhere.

H-hey men, i accidently put my gfs pink underwear in the same washing machine as your uniforms

a) they look rad
b) they look better than that regiment who wear blue coats over orange, and the one that wears prussian blue over not just yellow but the whole rest of their uniform is *bright* yellow
c) pink is hardcore

Whenever i look at pics with line infantry i wish there were a plastic kit with bavarians. ;_;

Hi they're not bavarians but I have some porn for you.

olicanalad.blogspot.co.nz/2016/04/austrian-army-finished-roll-call.html

and he has prussians too, check out that sweet orange sers regiment

olicanalad.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/prussian-army-finished-roll-call.html