/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

Now with fifty percent more bickering and name calling!

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread Have you ever been part of a successful evil campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyone know of a good homebrew or conversion for the Inquisitor class from Pathfinder? I'd love to play as one in 5e, I need to be able to fuck with peasants calling them sinners and then proceeding to whip the sin out of them.

Is it the flavor or the mechanics that you want to replicate in 5e?

Are there any 2-level dips that would go well with the new Arcane Archer Fighter? Can anyone with more experience than me give their overall opinion of that archetype? The concept looks pretty fun.

UA Ranger

Both would be nice, but if it isn't all that feasible to replicate mechanics then I can go with just flavor. Only thing I could think of was a Cleric, but they aren't enough combat and conviction. Paladin just seems to dumb and not nimble to be an Inquisitor.

consensus seems that 2 arrows isn't enough, especially since they have a chance to miss unlike other core class features like smite

If I give all martials a version of expertise in their class progression, will that alleviate their lack of out of combat usefulness any?

>playing a game of 5e
>everyone plays a PHB class and a race from either PHB or Volo's
>one guy goes on reddit and finds a homebrew race and class that are blatantly unbalanced and OP as fuck so he can play a special snowflake mary sue character while we are all individually less than half as powerful as he is
>DM okays it
anybody else dealt with this silliness?

*too dumb
fucking typos

What are three solid cantrips for a book of shadows? Shillelagh need not apply.

Yeah, the mechanics probably aren't going to happen considering the difference between PF's feature overload and 5e's minimalism.

Cleric would be my choice, but Favored Soul Sorcerer is also a solid pick.

the flavour of the inquisitor seems to be most similar to the oath of vengeance paladin, or maybe even ranger

Here's one of the things I give fighters. works out pretty well, mathematically

Warrior’s Reputation
At 3rd level, tales of your exploits begin to circulate in the world. Choose Intimidation or Persuasion. You gain proficiency with that skill if you don’t have it already. Furthermore, you gain advantage with checks of your chosen skill as long as your proficiency bonus is equal to or higher than your target’s. If you are targeting more than one creature with your skill, your proficiency bonus must be equal to or higher than the greatest proficiency bonus among your targets. At 10th level, you gain this ability with the skill you did not previously choose.

>Have you ever been part of a successful evil campaign?

We would've been successful if the DM wasn't fond of turning every one-off into a TPK. We made it to the end and then he threw an Angel at us because apparently we were that evil? We weren't. In fact the entire game we were killing other evil people.

Guidance
Mending
Thaumaturgy
Vicious Mockery
Shocking Grasp

This. I don't know why they thought only 2 arrows would be sufficient.

>Prestidigitation
>Thaumaturgy
>Druidcraft
Master ALL the basic magics!

eldritch blast, prestidigitation, green flame blade.

I play mostly in the adventurer's league, so the nonsense I have to deal with mercifully does not include that.

>setting has guns
>want to play Dex based Eldritch Knight that uses a musket as their casting focus

Would you allow it?

The thing about Cleric is that they aren't as charismatic or have the combat capabilities of an Inquisitor, Clerics to me seem like learned monks in some abbey since they are mostly wisdom based.

Revised Ranger 3/Maybe one or two levels in Rogue for sneakin' Expertise & Cunning Action and the rest in EK Fighter y/n?

Find you own class that outshines his, get dm approval to play it, ruin campaign so no one can stop you, flaunt superiority in DM's face.

alternatively
Speak to the player and DM, if it's broken and basically outshining everyone at their intended power then it's not fun for any of the other players.

Since multiclass is apparently broken with revised ranger, is it a good idea to dip a level into rogue to get sneak attack with the natural explorer stuff?

No, that's gay.

Here's an Inquisitor.

Honestly the closest is probably a vengeance paladin using dex, might not be the most min/maxed but you'll still be useful.

If you want more skill monkey stuff dip into rogue or start rogue at level 1.

sure

Right, so I suggested Favored Soul Sorcerer because they're charisma-based, cast spells, can gain proficiency in a lot of the skills that Inquisitors should focus in, and as a Favored Soul you get the religious aspect.

Would you let a Ranger with Find Familiar use his familiar as his animal companion?

It's not an Imp so you don't need to worry about it being invisible and spamming the Help action.

i wouldn't unless it were specially enchanted/made to allow it to become a spellcasting focus

Play a revised ranger, take spells from the Cleric spell list instead of the Ranger list.

Fug

Cool

Fair, and makes sense too.

Had a character with 11 cantrips once. Was Bard 19/Sorc1, High Elf with Magic Initiate I think. Got to the point where my DM just said "Fuck it, if it's remotely magical and still within the realm of cantrips, you can do it."

Don't fuck with the cantrip master

Different guy, but where do you find the revised ranger?

media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

A simple way to homebrew it would be to combine the Paladin and Cleric spell lists, give cantrips at level 1 but spellcasting as Paladin. Then I would go with the UA ranger but replace the archetype with a cleric domain. Refluff the abilities as divinely granted rather than nature, and finally favoured enemy is now favoured alignment(choosing from only opposing alignments: neutral, evil, good, chaotic, and lawful for regular and greater. Ex: being LG your choices would be limited to Chaotic, Evil, and Neutral. The Favoured Enemy bonuses would apply against any creature that had whichever you chose as an alignment component.)

i personally dont give a shit desu and i have fun regardless because i just enjoy sitting around eating junk food and joking around with friends
im just wondering in my head why this one dude has to go above and beyond for his power fantasy

Anyone have the screenshot of the stupid fast cat person build?

Im running a LE Tiefling FiendTomelock with the noble background that is the patron and leader of the party. It just so happens doing heroic acts and getting the peoples adulation has helped me acquire greater power than many others could even hope too. So sometimes some people may question my enlightened superior form of morality but nobody ever complains when my tactics win us battles and save their miserable lives

What DM is going to let you dip into revised ranger like that?

well that's a little bit fast

Probably none, just doing what I always do and making characters because I'm forever DM. Might end up using it as a NPC.

I would, yeah if we're talking about PHB ranger.
And if only for the reason that it would make the ranger less afraid to actually use their companion in battle.

Oh, in that case, sure.
I'm right there with you friend. Forever dreaming up characters that I never get to play because my friends are shit DMs.

Okay, so I wanted to get a general feel for opinions on something. How do you feel about IRL Deities existing in the setting you're playing in? I know Bahamut and Tiamat were IRL figures of myth, but their D&D incarnations are essentially independant from those original ones. I'm talking like, there's straight up some recognizable gods in the setting, like Anubis or Thor, and the only difference between our world and the campaign one is that we stopped worshiping them and they didn't. Is this awesome (An army screaming "Sons of Odin fight to die and live again!"), or does it hamper immersion to have those deities present? Is it okay to have IRL deities as long as they're obscure or re-imagined enough?

That might just work.

Here's my 2 cents:

Unless you specifically recognize those gods as existing and actively worship them, there is functionally no difference between them and the constructed deities of a fictional setting.

It's fine. Just might want to shy away from including irl deities that your players might believe in irl. Only because as a DM you don't want to make your players feel overly uncomfortable.

If you're sticking to older pantheons, you're probably good to go though.

Dude that was default mode as far back as the original days of the game. Made up Pantheons are a fairly new idea and are usually shit compared to ones with established mythology anyways ie the word salad gods of PF or the shitty reskinned gods of FR

How can a warlock with pact of tome cast shillelagh? One hand needs to be holding the book of shadows, one needs to be holding the quarterstaff, then you'd need two more hands free for the material components and the somatic components.

I'm trying to make up characters for each class because reasons.

Thus far I have a
>Barbarian
>Fighter
>Rogue
>Warlock
>Wizard
done with full backstories

decent idea what I want to do but no backstory aside from general ideas
>Druid
>Cleric
>Monk

However I'm stumped for original (Or unoriginal and at least good) ideas for
>Paladin
>Ranger (Mainly because the fighter I made might as well be a ranger with backstory and skills so making another "lives off the land rough-and-tumble dude seems too copycat)
>Sorcerer

So what're some good Paladin/Ranger/Sorcerer character backgrounds you can think of for me to base characters off?

I'd dig it, personally. I'd prefer a real life pantheon to some homebrew of 20+ entirely new gods.

It doesnt say anything anywhere about your Book needing to be held and waved around to cast spells same for material components

nigga u dum

Bounty hunter ranger (hunter) or paladin (vengeance).

I'm not saying "Helios is my copilot" or something, (in fact if it matters at all I'm not really in any believing camp) and looking over my post I suppose the "only difference between our world and the campaign one" quote is poorly worded. I wouldn't put in anything I believed was sacred in my anyway, as I like even for good deities to not necessarily have the party's best interests in mind at all times.

>Made up Pantheons are a fairly new idea
>shitty reskinned gods of FR
Forgotten Realms predates D&D (and was built up in detail long before it had any official publications for it) and making gods up for a fantasy setting isn't anything new, by any stretch of the imagination.

>Bounty Hunter Ranger
>Ranger who's from a city and goes out to find bandits and such
>Doesn't actually like the wilderness, just knows it like the back of their hand because they need to
Could make that work with some effort, not a bad idea
>Paladin
This and cleric are the ones that give me the most issue when it comes to making backstory, mainly because I'm not even the slightest bit religious nor have I ever been so roleplaying someone meant to be devout well is rather difficult to me, and I'm not nearly edgy/stupid enough to suggest an atheist character in a setting that clearly has gods who interact with the world on the regular. That and I don't much like the idea of my characters getting by on borrowed power from some deity, but that's more because of my own personal beliefs and shouldn't come into consideration for a fictional character.

Maybe a Paladin who entered an oath without really realizing it with some Fey or something?

>implying making up pantheons wasn't one of the first things humans ever did

I like the idea of playing an oath of the ancients firbolg that acts as a sort of shepherd-like wise-man of the woods.
It's not exactly unique, however.

*fips tedora*

It's occurred to me that none of my characters are properly Hot Topic Coldsteel the Hedgeheg tier edgy.

What about a Paladin Oathbreaker/Vengeance Paladin who learned he was being led along by a demon/fiend posing as a god, or an evil god tricked him into an oath, and now is in full "REMOVE DEMONS DEMON GENOCIDE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE"/going all out to bring about the end of this god's religion mode?

I say Oathbreaker because Vengeance implies they're still following a god.

Also also, if an oathbreaker's broken his oath against an Evil god, does he still need to be Evil himself?

>Forgotten Realms predates D&D
>Have Greyhawk gods

Dude forgotten Realms is the third campaign setting of D&D.

Post images of your Warlock pact maker.

*bips fack*

Vengeance implies nothing of the sort, just that they switched from another oath to vengeance. Paladins don't need deities now, and I'm not sure what the last time that was true even is.

How does Warlock 3/Paladin 17 work out, taking spells that don't need CHAmod? Seems like it'd be a pretty strong combo. I was thinking Warlock 2 but Pact of the Blade seems like it could be fun thematically for an edgy paladin so Warlock 3.

Yeah I keep forgetting that. I guess the idea of a Paladin not needing a deity is kinda silly to me.

BAD.
2 smites per short rest of 2d8
Being 3 of spell lvl behind a normal paladin.
Dumping charimas when is a heavy characteristic of both classes

OK, I have to ask a question about the fundamental numbers of 5e...

is 16 good enough?

>>This D&D setting is older than D&D
>>What do you mean im retarded?

Yeah after looking at it longer I'm inclined to agree, since none of the Patrons really add anything that would be worth it in the end.

FR most certainly doesn't not predate D&D.

until level 10

Ed Greenwood didn't even start writing for TSR/Dragon until like, 1979. Considering that D&D was borne out of Chainmail which Gygax made in 1971, you're full of shit.

I mean, if you Greenwood's writings as a youth the origin of Forgotten Realms it most certainly does.

>He began writing stories about the Forgotten Realms as a child, starting in the mid 1960s

>Greenwood discovered the Dungeons & Dragons game in 1975 and soon became a regular player.[1] He used the Realms as a setting for his campaigns, which centered arounds the fictional locales of Waterdeep and Shadowdale, locations that would figure prominently in his later writing

>n 1986, the American game publishing company TSR began looking for a new campaign setting for the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game,

We have no ideas what the FR looked like prior to his work with TSR, though. You have to look at the FR as a published setting, the one that everyone has access to.

I was thinking of running a Warforged in a group that's starting up soon. Any resources you guys recommend looking through for fluff since 5e doesn't really have anything for them as far as fluff goes, or any other race but still

Help a prospective tinman out?

If you're not playing in Eberron, you should avoid Warforged. They're for that setting and only found in that setting.

If you're not in Eberron, talk to your DM before even planning anything with them.

They have CHA synergy its extra slots for smiting a few spells you dont normally get and EB gives you a nice ranged option that scales with level.. The patrons add a little with Fiend being the best for free temp HP for a murder machine like a Paladin. The pact boons come online and are all moderately useful while your two invocations let you pick up some of the best stuff a Warlock can get like Agonizing blast or Book of Ancient Secrets

How would I go about making an Urban druid? if a Druid gains power from the spirits of trees, rivers, and animals why can't someone gain power from the spirits of roads, houses, and tools? folklore is full of household spirits and shit like that.

Ed go home. Lorraine is dead and just because they are pushing your setting a bit again doesnt mean you can smear shit all over the offices and claim your bigger than the game like you did at the TSR offices. Nobody likes your mary sue faggot characters especially your self-insert Gandalf knock-off and even if you had thought of some stuff in your shitty fanfics it doesnt mean it predates D&D

I never even read those books, i just looked on wikipedia and found that people were being wrong.

If you're seriously going to make the claim that whatever Greenwood's proto-FR setting that he made while he was a teenager looked like prior to it being polished up and worked on while he was at TSR actually had unique, thoughtful and nuanced deities, I'm going to laugh.

No real reason you couldn't, there was even a whole prestige class based around it in 3.5. In 5E it's harder to do - mostly you should refluff your abilities and stick to urban creatures for wild shape, maybe take a feat like dungeoneer to reflect your heavily urban life.

I think it's because typically civilization has often been antithetical to the classic idea of druid.

What you're proposing can work really well if you reflavor your Druid to be more like a shaman. Shamans from shadowrun are basically this.

I think that's probably the best bet, will take some work for sure though. what might a good replacement for animal shape be? because it doesnt seem to fit well.

I have, they're cool with it.

Making your druid at cold war with traditional wilds druids because reasons could be fun

I think I got an idea for my edgy paladin.
Lemme know what you think.

>Wears extremely worn down gear, clearly no care taken to maintain it
>carries no extra equipment like bedrolls or rations
>never removes their helmet
>has a cold, mettalic voice
>eventually character reveal- he's a Warforged made by a cult of some evil god, and due to unestablished plot has turned against his creators and sworn to destroy the "god" (could be a demon or dragon, ill probably leave that to the DM so they have a character hook) in charge of the cult
>if go vengeance it writes itself- cult was dicks, character vows to kill 'em
>If go Oathbreaker similar path- newly created Warforged were forced into Oath with this BBEG guy

The reason I'm still considering Oathbreaker is that this guys vengeance plot is entirely selfish, he's probably going to be LE, and follow typical amoral murderhobo rules- being at least somewhat reasonable to civilians and following the law but being a complete bastard to "enemies" so Chaotic Neutral could fit too.

Absolutely, I can see plenty of room for conflict

Forgot to add id be basing him a bit off good ol' non-murderous Creighton from DS2.

Wouldn't just swapping the Cleric's wisdom casting with charisma casting work?

> post pokemon-world, a world where technology much more advance than our, the world where nature is still abundant
> people still think "living in harmony with nature" is a tree hugger hippy thing

Creating a backstory for my paladin
> Once upon a time, there was a really cruel and unjust king.
> He taxed people harshly, did not care for the rule of the law and was an all around asshole.
> In response, a group of rebels formed, formerly farmers and artisans, they became outlaws - like Robin Hood's merry men they fought the royal soldiers, initially supported the common folk.
> However, the king was soon killed and replaced by another - this one far more pragmatic.
> He loosened up the opression and made the robber barons fall back in line. The rebels were offered amnesty - after all, there was no good reason to rebel anymore.
> But the rebels took a liking to the life of outlaws - so they did not stop fighting.
> One of the bandits was a young boy when they first became outlaws - and through his life, he never questioned their way of life.
> After all, they're fighting against the great injustice. Whatever happens to lapdogs of the tyrant - or ones who help and shelter those lapdogs, they deserve it, right?
> He never even thought of what he's doing as evil - until one day, his gang was going to burn down an old man's house because his son was a member of the city watch.
> That's where he drew the line - he tried to reason with his fellow outlaws, but they did not hear him.
> So he was forced to fight his comrades - and for once, he truly felt with his heart that he's doing what's right.
> It felt like justice itself is guiding his hand and striking those people down, and it felt like righteous fury burned in his soul.
> In that moment, he became a paladin.
> But not cleared of all sins. Still a bandit and an outlaw, he both feels obligated to bring down the merry men he was once part of, and to right his personal wrongs.

I think he'll be a dex paladin, still fighting and dressing like a common rogue. Also thinking about having an in-built antagonist - some kind of young avenger, whose father he killed once.
Roast me.

Better than edgy robo-paladin I made in .

Anyone got zip for '2-minute tabletop' maps?

After getting the class feature its best to switch to UA ranger.

Play a Scourge Aasimar Sun monk and Fuck him sideways.