/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Robot Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Question of the Now: Do you think there's a gap in the fantasy skirmish market for a game that takes JRPG aesthetics but isn't as boardgame-y as Endless Fantasy/Super Dungeon Explore?

And another question - I'm the user working on 10mm Kings of War and I have found the Pendraken Orcs don't rank up too neatly. Now, I don't like the idea of ranked up Orcs anyway, so what's people's thoughts on having a "regiment" (nominally 16-20 guys ranked up on a 40x40 base after scale conversion) being 12-14 guys in rougher formation?

Other urls found in this thread:

fasagames.com/2016/12/09/noble-armada-preview-sensors-and-communication/
daishogame.wordpress.com
daishogame.wordpress.com/playtests/
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1155527/tank-combat-review
mediafire.com/file/5s4ny44fiuz0qco/Hordes_of_the_Things_v2.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>And another question - I'm the user working on 10mm Kings of War and I have found the Pendraken Orcs don't rank up too neatly. Now, I don't like the idea of ranked up Orcs anyway, so what's people's thoughts on having a "regiment" (nominally 16-20 guys ranked up on a 40x40 base after scale conversion) being 12-14 guys in rougher formation?
Why a square base? Wouldn't a rectangle work better? And, well, Pendraken's Warband basing is a 100mm x 50mm rectangle for everything - you could use that without too much trouble~

But yeah, there's no reason to go with KoW's strict warhammer-style figure counts and ranking when it's mechanically meaningless and worse-looking than other basing schemes.

OTOH, you could literally use the giant KoW unit footprints and just plop down a flood of orcs. A big orc horde unit's, what, 4" x 10"? You could (if you wanted to spend forever in time and a fair bit of money) build a REAL horde. Just think how it would look!

(don't do this, that way lies madness)

The reason I went for squares (and 40x20 for cavalry) is I had a shitload of MDF in those sizes from another project. If I go for slightly fewer guys per base I can make more bases, too.

Ah, note that if you go 40x20 for infantry as well then you're on standard WRG/DBA/HotT basing, as used by half a million other rulesets. You can always have multiple bases to a single KoW unit, it's just something to keep in mind.

Right, 40x20 it is, probably 5ish figures a stand. That's easy.

Don't feel there's anything wrong with bigger, though. i mean even wrg has 40x30 infantry and 40x40 is fine.

base as you like as long as it's consistent.

(or just... use kow regiment basing but read inches as centimetres, that's the best way to convert down because you don't have to change numbers)

>And another question

The precise number of models in a unit does not matter in KoW, just use the right base footprint.

And now I'm one step closer to a new level of novelty. Here's my Dark Legion Praetorian army for warzone: resurrection all assembled. My original stalker squads in the back all partially painted and waiting to be finished.

It'll be fun to play with all these infiltrate and stalk deploying squads, I may bulk this out with some necromutants or heretics, dunno which yet.

>Robot Edition

Perfect, I can post my finished GP squad for Heavy Gear Blitz.

First stand of Orcs painted. I decided five models a stand looked best after mocking up stands of 4, 5, 6 and 7.

>those names

Fuck you, it's Christmas and now I'm sad about hamburgers

Top /m/ knowledge, though

you going with standard colors for your DL? i havent painted mine, but want my pretorian stalkers and behemoth to match, with red skin all around. got so many stalkers (old metal ones too) i might do a few in blue but still.

>that alien warrior sneaking up
also, how hard was it to getthat stalker posing with his arm up? i stopped halfway putting my ranged pretorians together and have them sitting in a bag cus i was having so much trouble getting the arms to fit on the guns. i thought they were meant to match specifically to a torso each and i had just missed that.

Asking again here, because the last thread didn't understand the question: is there any good skirmish system that can be used for mythological Japan. And by skirmish system, I mean one that focuses on individual figures acting, moving and fighting on their own, *not* armies with ranks of soldiers fighting together as a bigger unit.

And even if I wanted armies with ranks of soldiers, Of Gods And Mortals would be a terrible choice anyway since I'm not gonna have any gods in play, and the whole system is written around that premise. Sorry for sounding harsh, but apparently I have to be really, really specific.

You can fit 8 Pendraken human sized infantry on a 40x20 easily enough

(Pardon the paintjob, it was WIP)

Literally why did this upload upsidedown when the photo is the right way up on my machine?

It lets us identify aussies

The system must be riddled with false flags like this so.

Latest post is up about the wargame I co-wrote, Noble Armada 3e. This post covers the sensors, weapons and how it links into the strategy of the game fasagames.com/2016/12/09/noble-armada-preview-sensors-and-communication/

The Orcs look quite a bit bigger than those, so that's a nice contrast between factions.

Unlike half the population of my country, I am not in Australia.

Maybe my phone was made in Australia?

I hate to be that gut here, but are those the plastic models? If so: why not more running poses? The new plaatics are so good for dynamic posing.

I wanted a mix of static and running, plus I've never worked with DP9 models prior to this. My Jags are much more dynamic.

you silly billy, answering questions in the future too

...and a pic.

>Sorry for sounding harsh, but apparently I have to be really, really specific.
If you were really really specific you would say what your problem with the other suggestions was.
Cause aside from Bushido and Kensei I can't thing of any games that really deal with eastern mythology at all. At least on a level that takes it somewhat more serious than pulp fiction.

And the DIY systems where you could build your own units were also already mentioned.

If non of that is up to your own standard or requirements you might just have to make up your own rules.

Brand new to the general, why do we hate Spartan Games?

Good names, good shoulders, and I like the two on the left.

むせる intensifies

I love both list-building games like Warmahordes, Infinity, Warhammer, KoW, whatever, and also skirmish campaign ones, like Mordheim, Necromunda, etc.

Is there a game that combines both? Like list building (I know that Mord/Necro have list building, but it's really not that important compared to all the other stuff) mixed with campaign advancements and all?

I know that named characters and shit don't go well with campaigns, and I'm OK with that, I don't actually like named characters. But I love the fact that one can have a good or a bad list, and at the same time I want a game that can have an interesting campaign element and all.

It could be skirmish or regiment-based, but probably something ancient/medieval/fantasy related.

Any ideas?

And if there aren't out there, how would you make one?

Are you illiterate or something? I'm clearly stating why I didn't like the other suggestions. Please don't make me gave to speak to you like you were a particularly dumb child. It makes me feel bad.

*have
Damn, it's contagious.

Bushido doesn't use units so I'm not sure what was your problem with that, but in case you could come off that high horse, that'd be lovely.

Also: daishogame.wordpress.com - not sure if it's out yet, or when it'll be out or anything, but check to see if it tickles your fancy.

Bushido is skirmish man

Anyone have any actual Dystopian Legions ruleset? I don't care about the actual game, but apparently Achtung! Cthulhu uses it as the base for that game, and Nazi Nyarlathotep cultists have a certain draw to them.

Yes, but I want to use models from other ranges as well, and 30mm is for Spaniards and idiots.

Note to self: next time I ask Veeky Forums a question, I better draw up some helpful diagrams or tape a puppet show, because simple English clearly isn't working with you boneheads.

Or you could just fuck right off back to the hugbox you came from or do research for yourself instead of asking anons and swearing at them for not providing the exact, one in the million game you were looking for.

Fucking weeaboos

>any actual experience
That's what I get for trying to type on my phone at work.

No one then?

Check Otherworld and Rack&Ruin, those sound similar to that. Maybe Savage Worlds: Showdown as well.

I'd also like to know.

For Sci-Fi HoR Kill team for 40k fits the bill. I mention it because you mentioned possibly making one and it could be a decent template.

I've played 40K very few times, but I coult take a look at that and see if I can get good ideas.

Just got Otherworld. Mechanically I don't like it, but let's see if the ideas behind it are good, thanks man!

Add some house rules to infinity?

I bough a pack of 40 mantic zombies, are there any good rules sets for a zombie survival game

Looking for something where the zombies have a random ai or have them controlled by one player, and then several players each control a hero

You can add campaign rules to every game you like user.

Do you know the path of glory supplement for Warhammer Fantasy for example?
There are even 3rd Party campaign rules designed to be used with other games.

Skirmish Outbreak

There are some mechanics I don't like either (half your warband can activate, summoned undead, etc.), and the number of spells is a bit disheartening. But I plan to get a bit more into the game (read: actually play with it) and tweak it to my liking.

Maybe Ronin, even though I haven't partaken in the last thread, maybe someone already mentioned it?

Ronin has no mythological things AFAIK, which is likely a problem. Everybody is just normal mans.

>Everybody is just normal mans.
Doing normal fights.
Hot diggety.

There is a set of rules for mythological creatures (as their own bands or as mercenaries), but it is an add-on. I seem to have misplaced them, but I know they are out there.

Glad to know my posts are invisible! See

They're bad company who dedicate most of ther time to ruining their own games

>Glad to know my posts are invisible!

Glad to know you have a stick up your arse. Maybe if you rotate it a bit you might smile for once, here is your (you).

user said that he didn't know about mythological creature rules for Ronin, so I mentioned that there are indeed some. The whole world does not revolve around you, bucko.

My Orc army continues apace, I have a stand of Boar Riders and two of hand weapon and shield boys next on my painting table. I'm using the Khorne guy as a Giant.

Typed up a post with some suggestions for (you), but read on and discovered you're a total faggot. So fuck you.

> tfw you created the image that inspired this meme

I will probably never have children but I imagine this is how proud I would feel.

You know, that 28mm mini works better as a giant than I would have expected it to.

>but apparently I have to be really, really specific.
>Are you illiterate or something? I'm clearly stating why I didn't like the other suggestions. Please don't make me gave to speak to you like you were a particularly dumb child
>next time I ask Veeky Forums a question, I better draw up some helpful diagrams or tape a puppet show, because simple English clearly isn't working with you boneheads.
You know for all the shit you are spewing you have still not addressed the original question, that has been repeated in the meantime by other people. What is the problem with what was suggested in the first place?

Considering how much of a cunt you are I wouldn't expect any more help with this though. I've already been as helpful as I can be. Which I now kinda regret in hindsight.
Take a break from the internet and try again next thread when you've rediscovered your manners. Maybe you'll get lucky then.

Yeah, standard colours. My armies are all themed to fight on various parts of mars, so having the Stalkers with their blue skin will contrast nicely with the red earth of their bases. The Behemoth will be a red skinned monstrosity like in the art, nice deep dark bronze for his armour, like it's fucking older than civilization itself(and with their fluff, it probably is) verdigris in the cracks and pits. Really keen to get to grips with the Goliath though, he'll be fun to paint.

That Stalker in particular was the easy one, the rest of the squad needed greenstuff in the shoulders to create enough room to let me connect the gun arm to the holding arms wrist. The problem is that it's an old kit, all the way back to the kickstarter. Hell, these little bastards almost always have some greenstuff used in their construction. Heads, arms, the waist, all bulked anf illed with greenstuff and superglue.

any one knows more sites like this?
discountgamesinc.com
the prices are decent but the shipping costs are marvelous and more considering I live in a 3rd world shethole.

No Mantic Games general, so...

Anybody order the Crazy Box? I know they're pretty different, year to year.

Tom, if you're browsing check your email. I found the Light Infantry.

Mate, I linked the mythical version of Ronin and then the user said he doesn't know about it.

AoS big base infantry are all kinds of fucked proportion wise, to be fair.

So I've just purchased some Dystopian Wars models, and I know that a couple people here post about it. I wanted to know what the differences between working on these models and GW models are, as those were the last and only models I have ever worked on.

From what I remember Dystopian Wars models are resin(at least the ships are) and as such would need first a wash in warm water and soap to clean off the mold release agent. You'll want to be careful about sanding or sawing them, resin dust is carcinogenic. And lastly, use superglue, plastic glue doesn't work on resin.

I saw a german unboxing video of one of the fantasy ones.

It contained:
A charriot (ogres?)
a sprue with demons
a sprue with undead
a sprue with nature creatures
a resin hero from dungeon saga
some scenery for dungeon saga
a set of demons for dungeon saga
an undead dog handler

And maybe 1-2 things i forgot.
The guys who did the unboxing came to the conclusion that it was well worth the money.

I ordered one. Got 2 Dreadball MVPs, 2 Mars Attacks characters, 2 terrain sprues, a Veer Myn giant monster, a Plague giant monster, a Veer Myn troop sprue, the old Dradzone 1 Enforcer starter, a couple bags of Plague 3rd gens, and a novel set in the Deadzone / Warpath universe

The Veer Myn and Plague Monsters alone are worth the price of that box, if bought seperately

These boxes are still available right?

I'm kinda tempted now

What said. I go over mine with warm water, washing-up liquid and a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush. If you're working on Naval/Land models, almost all the mould lines will be on waterline/base of the model. Be aware that any acrylic bases (provided with any land models, skimmers or flyers) will probably have a thin piece of backing film over them. Used to be blue, now it's clear. Make sure to remove it before painting otherwise it'll come off later, along with all your basing work.

Painting wise, because of the tiny scale, DW models react really well to even a basic layer+highlight scheme. Pic related is pretty much one colour + highlight on each section.

Yeah they are, but possibly not much longer.

Does anybody actually have a Daisho PDF?
I'm kind of interested in it now that it was brought up and would really love to look at it.

I don't even see a way to buy it on their "official site" (which is just a wordpress?)

Play test rules and bonus material on the old site check the do down menu daishogame.wordpress.com/playtests/

Drop, poxy phone

What is the best way to play a game of pure tank battles on the tabletop?

Galeforce9 have their TANKS game, but it looks a bit too simple and the rules for each tank come only within the boxes they sell.

There is Flames of War, which is definitely an option, though I'd prefer a system with proper front/side/rear armour values and the way they designate what is 'in front' of a vehicle is unintuitive.

I don't really know what else is out there. Any ideas?

What game are those minis for?

Fistful of TOWs. You can do it in 15mm - 6mm's better, but hey, you get your fun tank game.

I'm going to use them for Kings of War, but there's also Hordes of the Things.

Seconding Fistful of TOWs

Its a great system for that

Tanks is alot of fun, but you are right about the rules for each new tank coming only with their "expansions" which really sucks.
They kinda copy the X-Wing business model with that.

Its a very arcade-y game though. It feels like World of Tanks more than a proper simulation or wargame. Not bad at all if you are into that kind of thing. Battles are very short as well.

There is another game of this sort:
"tank combat" by zvezda.
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1155527/tank-combat-review

Does anyone have Hordes of the Things PDF?

I have this annotated one that an user posted in a previous thread.

mediafire.com/file/5s4ny44fiuz0qco/Hordes_of_the_Things_v2.pdf

What manufacturer are those? They're really nicely detailed for the scale.

GHQ if i'm not mistaken.

They're GHQ, an easy way to tell is that they look amazing.

>mediafire.com/file/5s4ny44fiuz0qco/Hordes_of_the_Things_v2.pdf

Thanks a lot man!

No problem, remember to consider buying a copy if you like it and decide to play it regularly. /awg/ publishers deserve the money and support.

Will do. I'd buy every rulebook, but my budget doesn't allow it since I'm in South America and currency conversion makes it pretty hard to buy stuff overseas.

Warpath kickstarter is out and backers have the digital rulebooks. Can someone share the rulebooks? I have lots of mantic miniatures, but the rulebooks are still not avaible...

Backers have been explicitly asked by Mantic not to share the books, at least for now.

a possibility is disposable heroes, every side has more than one av representing every little possible hit spot. Nothing too absurd, but i think every tank has like 15 avs if i recall correctly.
(i don't quite remember fow determined side hit,was it 180 degrees form the front counts as front armour?)

Not even with your good friend user? :^)

Thanks. I also wanted to ask, what do you guys think about the current Kickstarter for it?

Tried to upload it to Mega through Firefox, but this shit put my computer into fucking deep freeze for 10 minutes, plus Mantic asked nicely not to, so sorry user.

No worries, Im waiting now a pair of crazy boxes and wanted to try the new game. I'm gonna buy Heracles anyway .But "the waiting is the hardest part"

As i haven't the new rulebooks maybe i should play Infinity or spend my money in overpriced GW stuff :D

How much was changed from the beta versions, ruleswise? Just wondering how much development was actually done.

Looking for the expansion book to Tomorrows War, By Dagger or Talon. Anyone have a copy they can share?