/swg/ - Are You Not Entertained Edition

Previous Thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

HoTAC
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/9/the-empires-interests/
adpublishing.de/assets/images/FFG_SW.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=In12QLHJxqc&t=3s
thedailywtf.com/series/feature-articles
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no Aayla

s m h

The Corellian Conflict and Armada Wave "Five" are shipping now, and today we got a preview of the Arquitens-class Cruiser.
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/9/the-empires-interests/
This seems quite a bit stronger than the similarly costed Nebulon-B the Rebels have. Not as good out the front, but much better on the larger side arcs. I like its defense tokens better, and getting a defensive retrofit is great, even if the new one they previewed can get more use on bigger ships. This is also the Empire's first ship with more dice in its side arcs than its front. These things will be phenomenal for sniping enemies at long range.

You don't fool me Filoni.

My waifu has been saved from his grasp.

On one hand i agree with you, but on the other her constant hair color changes to unnatural colors work as a giant warning siren to me.
So i am in this odd state where id like to tap dat, but at the same time every fiber of my being tells me that i should abandon star system.

I asked this in their last thread, and got only 1 answer. Anyone else got opinions?

>I have a couple of questions about imp assault., if you don't mind.

>how hard is it to paint the figures?
>I know that they are just plain out of the box, and I don't mind painting, I paint my armada squadrons And other tabletop game figures too. Are the figures about 40k size? Larger? Smaller?

>how does it play in competitive?
>I know it has a story game style, and I'm glad you like it, but is there a DM game style? Is it a point buy with upgrades like xwing? Is it balanced by point levels? Like are rebel troopers and stormtroopers evenly matched?

>is it usable for starwars figure based rpgs?
>I have a EotE group and we occasionally switch back to d20 saga when we want, and its always hard to visualize the games without figures. Are the map templates useable for other things, like base mapping? Are there map tile boosters like there are for D&D?

>Any help is enjoyed, just want to know some stuff before I buy in. I love starwars, but I don't like wasting time or money. Sorry if I'm being annoying.

Is it ok to say here that if EA battlefront was released complete it would be one of the best shooters ever? I know it's not /v/ but it's really got me back into the setting.

I love SW.

EA Battlefront is one of those games you pick up from RedBox to play with your friends because there's not enough content to keep it long term.

Hey shipfag, just reminding you i'm still waiting for stats on that gunship to give to my PCs. Game is on monday, so not urgent yet, but getting there.

>one of the best shooters ever
Depends on how big the list is, because that's a really tall fucking order.
>The entire Dark Forces saga
>Battlefront 1 and 2
>Doom I, II, Final Doom, 2016
>Quake
>Unreal Tournament
>Wolfenstein
>Halo 1 and 2
>Wolfenstein: The New Order
>Unreal
>Half-Life
>Starsiege: Tribes
>Duke Nukem 3D
>Bad Company 2 and Vietnam
>Battlefield 1942, 2, Vietnam, and Project Reality
>GoldenEye
>STALKER
>Chex Quest

/swg/ I have a question about tha cannon
Is it okay to assume tha pre ep6 old cannon us still good, minus whatever rouge 1 adds/changes?

If it's for a tabletop campaign, sure. However, all Legends stuff is noncanon unless explicitly stated otherwise for the purposes of understanding the current Disney canon.

No.

The only canon sources are the recent novels made after 2014, TCW, Rebels, Movies and Pablo Hidalgo's twitter

first for the 181st

Just do as /swg/ ahs always done: disregard the parts of Old/NuCanon you don't like

Does that mean Jedi Prince is Canon again?

the mega link for the FFG books only links to force and destiny, anyone have a none broken link?

It's in the pastebin.

Who?

I find it really weird that they aren't giving us a look at the titles. It seems to me the best thing they could do considering they made us wait for basically release for the articles is spoil everything. Oh well, guess we get to wait two weeks.

The cards that come with it are going to massively boost other Imperial ships, VSDs especially. You can finally get an ECM for that brace on a Victory or ISD I.

Blast doors might rival ECM now, and are going to be fantastic on Assault MC80s.

Wave 5 was the first wave that they designed after the game came out and got real feedback from players, and I think it definitely shows.

Bring on all those new squadrons next week.

My GM says my character can become force-sensitive but can't start with a Force and Destiny career. What is the best way to go about being good at lightsabering?

Realistically, as the gm allows your character to learn that knowledge.

Rules wise, take force sensitive Exile or force sensitive emergent ASAP, then buy one of the FAD specs with lightsaber as a skill.
You can technically go straight to the fad Career for lightsaber skill, but that will not provide force abilities. If you start non force user you need Exile or emergent to get those abilities.

Even with all the expansions I wouldn't really call it good. All but one of the primry weapons running on heat, the very limited "Hand" system instead of something class based.

The grind-heavy system with Charge-cards as point-sinks is also really bad.

>EA Battlefront is one of those games you pick up from RedBox to play with your friends because there's not enough content to keep it long term.
But there's no local multiplayer.

I'd say halo 1-3 and I don't think Outcast and Academy were good shooters, the balance of guns vs sabers was terrible.

All these sexy starwars ship pictures are turning me on. Last thread had all those sexy ISD pictures. So hot. Soooooo hot. More! more you sluts!

By being already killed??

No, by being forgotten by him it would seem

But she died in the actual movie

She was never in a movie user

Are you denying the existence of RotS or did you just walk out of the theater before the movie was over?

Aayla? She's in II and dies in III. Not sure if this is a "the prequels never happened" thing or some other joke I'm not getting

Your waifu is dead son. Accept it.

My waifu's not on that list user

Oh now I get what you meant now. Luckily all three times Shaak Ti would have died were written out or made no canon so she still is still alive in my heart.

whos your waifu? I won't tell Filoni I swear

I can't tell you user.

He'll hear.

but she is blue

Chuchi, isn't it?

yes

I'm so sorry. She'll probably be shoved into Rebels as a supporter.

Who cares? No one plays Armada anymore.

I see it discussed pretty frequently ITT at least.

The only downside I see about wave 5 so far is the lack of Imperial Fleet Command. It'll probably be in the next wave, but still, the Rebs get a huge boost over the Imps now.

But I have to say, I'm definitely gonna pick up a light cruiser. Dem blast doors and red dice for days.

>Guys! We need to make our villain on Rebels look like a threat without ever stopping Ezra from succeeding!
>Have you tried having them ominously monologue?
>How about killing their own teammates or setting them up for failure on purpose?
>I've done all that but people still think they're a joke! There's only one option left...
>[uncovers dartboard covered in female characters]

N-no pls

>Wait a minute, Dave, I've got an idea.

>Kathleen, we've been over this. I AM the master here.

The only time I see it anymore is people trying to sell it. The game is too long, it takes up too much table space, it's too expensive, and it's just a worse x-wing.

Seeing as how the Imperials have their own upgrade type with the Interdictor, I'd say it's a fair trade. The Interdictor can play with objectives like no other ship, and is going to receive a huge buff from the CC objectives.

They're almost certainly going to be releasing it with more ships though, since we're lacking the concentrate fire command type.

That's true. Though I really want to know what those titles for the ALC are. I'm wondering what their rules will be.

When MAID RPG goes wrong.

>Hear me out, Dave. We take all these female characters and give them their own show to appease the girl power marketers. Then we load it to the gills with guns, booze, and starships.

To be honest, I'd watch the FUCK out of Star Wars Black Lagoon.

>Feel free to try Kathleen, but remember when the day is over, I am Lucas's legacy.

This really needs to happen

I play it every Thursday at my local cb/tt/gs, and about 4 to5 of us play it. Its great for tha edge of tha empire "rebel fleet officers" game I have going, and us great for visualizing similar things. Combine it with xwing and tha miniatures game for all sorts of neat story driven games.

Just ignore him. He's in every thread whining about Armada whenever it's brought up. He sounds like some poorfag who bought the starter set, lost a few games, refused to learn how to git gud and now just bitches and moans about it on the internet.

Oh I love those people. 15$ victories and 6 tie squadrons plus extra dice and cards, all for like 35$ us way more affordable than buying them separate. Whiney bitches who don't mind cannibalizing make my life better over all.

>mfw players wanted a thrawn game for my game so they could galavant around in wild space with a fleet of vic2s and an impsar1 spreading the emporer's message.

>now just bitches and moans about it on the internet.
usually When I bitch about armada, it's because I'm the only one at my LGS who plays armada so I'm often running matches against myself.

Feels kinda sad sometimes.

how plausible is a "hyperspace rerouter" in star wars?

What does a Hyperspace Rerouter do? Well, if a ship should try to jump into a system with this device the rerouter will change the oncoming ship's destination coordinates to another random location. (ex: jump from Naboo to rerouter system but end up over,say, Tatooine instead.)

Completely impossible given what we know about Hyperspace mechanics.

alright, fair enough, but if say someone wanted to keep people out of a given system w/o the need of a massive defense fleet, how would one go about doing that within the Star Wars cannon?

Hyperspace minefield, essentially a combination of interdiction and mines, dragging large planetoids into the way. (CAN be navigated around, but it takes time to plot secondary jumps, that's what mines are for)

Effectively what the rebels did to make approaching Mon Calamari incredibly costly (It also made LEAVING Mon Calamari difficult so the Empire didn't mind too much.)

Most jump points into a system are aimed at lagrange points, because its safer - otherwise your safety dumps you out at the first sign of a mass shadow, and you might autopilot right into a planet.

Pirates tend to wait a lagrange points as well, for exactly this reason.

Plus, most starships dont have ace astrogators, and even droids\astrogation computers play by the rules and play it safe.

Set u[ some kind of defense at a Lagrange point, like some automated weapons platforms, or a giant asteroid with a shitton of guns on it - or if you want to be rude about it, just mine the fuck out of the area.

First visitor will get fucked. Give special coordinates to trusted visitors so they can plot a course into the interior and bypass the defenses

Well I want it to be something where the locals can come and go as they please, but if a hostile force were to approach they could switch the whole system into "siege mode" making entry all but impossible.

would a hyperspace minefield be able to achieve that? or is that too much to ask?

...Could be a combination of the two? have planetoids be shifted around to limit the possible ways into the system while simultaniously mining the ever-loving fuck out of the few clear paths into the system...

...might also have defense stations located near these passes so they can fire on anything that tries to cross the minefield, having to navigate both mines and turbolaser volleys simultaneously would make even the boldest Imperial commander really consider if its even worth it...

Just thinking out loud here, jump in if you have anything to add.

Why would you go to a game store and take up 2 tables for yourself? I'm mad enough both Armada and Rebellion consume 2 tables for 2 player games as is, but you are a whole new kind of faggot.

Imp Assault is slated towards the Empire winning pretty hard.

Rebs typically need to smash the objective as fast as they can while Imperiale get the luxury of fighting it out forever if they want.

I personally don't like the game much as I feel too strong as an Imperial player and too weak as Rebel.

How often does the Empire use bounty hunters? I was thinking of a bounty hunter oneshot to test the system with some players, and I thought it would be cool if Grand Admiral Thrawn hired them. The idea is that he wants a personal team of troubleshooters and is pitting the PC team against an NPC party to get at the same target-whoever succeeds earns the contract. Is this too far fetched for the universe and character?

Don't know for sure about Thrawn, but doesn't sound out of place for the SW universe. Although, I would say it sounds more like something an Inquisitor would do rather than a Fleet Officer.

This exact premise was a story in tales of the empire, "Side Trip". With Thrawn and everything, check it out for ideas.

I think you mean right.

EABF is a great game, fantastic even, for the first hour or two. After that it becomes shit because you realize that in that two hour span you've exhausted all of the content of a $100+ game.

Just do what Star Wars fans have done since the 80s. Ignore shit canon, use good canon. It's very loose.

Just did, sounds pretty awesome, might pick up the book for some inspiration but I just wanted to know that the premise is possible.

All of the Tales books were pretty great. As for your premise Thrawn always used underworld elements(in old canon anyway).

I'm literally watching Gladiator right now.

What about a navigational chart or navcomputer virus. A lot like what dooku/sifodias did to Kamino in the republic registry? You could infect a navicomputer's update holotransmitter system with the virus, that it would pump out on the next regular update. Its do-able since even in starwars there us galactic spin, and its used to navigate by system. (rimward vs outer and up and down spin are used in the old-cannon) so it could make a system "dissapear" given time. Especially if you got to the Coroscant Central Republic/Imperial Navigational bureau's main dooper computer. It could be a neat story point if you were in an Imperial Agent rpg game and told to make a special project 'disappear'. I figure everybodies navicomputer updates every time Tay connect to the holonet or dock at any reputable spaceport. We also know that navicomputers can be artificially updated because of one of the talon carde stores, he has various pirate hangouts marked in his, and shared by ship to ship comms.

Thinking about running an AoR campaign with the PCs as members of a Rebel armored divison. What would be a good starting vehicle for them?

A stolen Imp transport or something

Stolen TIEs with the starship leg upgrade. Discount Battlemech scout lance. Pic related--it's what happens when you stick legs on the turbolaser TIE.

My group who has primarily played D&D is looking to branch out and try a Star Wars tabletop game. Is this the best place to get started?

>how hard is it to paint the figures?
If you have experience painting figures for other games, it shouldn't be particularly hard. It has been a definite learning experience for me, but I hadn't painted before I started with Imperial Assault. I'm still not great, but I'm happy with how I'm progressing. Pic related is my most recent project.
>Are the figures about 40k size?
Yeah, it's pretty close. You can look at a size comparison to some figures here: adpublishing.de/assets/images/FFG_SW.jpg It looks like a Stormtrooper is pretty comparable with a Space Marine.
>how does it play in competitive?
I really like the map/objective system, instead of it just being an attrition system. They're still getting the balance down just right, but it's getting better all the time.
>Is there a DM game style?
Sort of. The campaign mode assumes a strongly adversarial role for the Imperial player, who is essence the GM. He has the hidden information and runs all the enemies, while the Rebel players each run one hero, and they may collectively control an ally or small group of allies.
>Is it a point buy with upgrades like xwing?
Not exactly. In the campaign, heroes gain XP that they can spend on new abilities and credits they can spend on new weapons, armor, and other equipment. It's sort of like an extremely stripped-down RPG in that way. Likewise, the Imperial player gains XP for new abilities and "influence" that can be used to buy "agendas," which are typically single-use benefits, although some you can use every mission.
>Is it balanced by point levels? Like are rebel troopers and stormtroopers evenly matched?
The skirmish mode is balanced by point levels. Rebel troopers and Stormtroopers play a little bit differently but are matched reasonably well in terms of power. Stormtroopers have the slight advantage, I think.
>is it usable for starwars figured based rpgs?
Yeah, the figures are great as visualization aids for an RPG, especially when they're painted up.

converted landspeeders
you hit an run

(cont.)
>is it usable for starwars figure based rpgs?
I should add, if you have figures from the old Wizards of the Coast Star Wars Miniatures line, most things are pretty close in scale with Imperial Assault. At least close enough that I'd call it good for an RPG, anyway.
>Are the map templates useable for other things, like base mapping? Are there map tile boosters like there are for D&D?
I don't think they would be great for something like that, but you could design an encounter area in an RPG using the tiles. There are not any boosters at this point, and I don't really expect there will be.

Overall, I love the game. If you only play the campaign, you're looking at 11 or more game sessions with up to four other people. If you're paying full retail price, that might not be a great value, but it's better than some other games I've played. If you like the skirmish side and end up playing it regularly, it becomes a much better value.

Oh, and if you're concerned about painting, there is a guy doing fantastic tutorials for it on YouTube.
>youtube.com/watch?v=In12QLHJxqc&t=3s
He has 30 different Imperial Assault tutorials, and they all cover at least one type of figure, while some cover two similar figures.

Blast doors will be great on the high-health ships. I don't think it will see much play on the MC30's (not that they need it) or light cruisers.

Impossible. However, in my experience, most great RPG stories have a "But that's impossible!!" moment. Include it to make your players freak out, and it'll be memorable as hell.
The only issue I have is that it's kind of annoying and overpowered. My suggestion: the players are doing a blue milk run (bonus point if it's literally blue milk) and their hyperspace jump is rerouted to somewhere else. Maybe they're conveniently close to the space station that caused it, I don't know, that's your job as the GM.
Now they have to destroy it, sabotage it, steal the plans, destroy the prototypes, etc.

Welcome to the club.

*cough* Ranulph Tarkin *cough cough* Stark Hyperspace War

>finally finished crunching the numbers on Raith Sienare's latest crackpot idea
>only 2.30PM
>Hey lazy workday for once
>DING!
>"You have 1 New message from: Raith Sienar, CEO"
>Ah shite what now?
>"Gentlemen! I was just in a meeting with the CREAM de la CREME of our most valued customer and know what they talked about? WALKERS! BLOODY WALKERS! Our new TIE Mauler tank is a COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE! YOU NIMWITS WERE TOLD OT MAKE A TIE TANK AND YOU COCKED IT UP ROYALLY! I drew up something that will please those high and mighty generals during our lunch break. See attached file. AND MAKE IT WORK THIS TIME! OR YOU ARE FIRED. THE LOT OF YOU!"
>open up the schematic file
>It... it's a TIE Experimental M1 stuck to a pair of modified AT-DP legs
>fuck fuck fuck fuck
>the crazy old coot wants us to build this shit?
>plug in the numbers into our developer server
>surf the holonet for job offers while the cumputers churn away

A weapon to surpass the Death Star.

>Sienar
>Siener
>Seiner
>Steiner

>finally finished crunching the numbers on Raith Sienar's latest crackpot idea
>only 2.30PM
>Hey lazy workday for once
>DING!
>"You have 1 New message from: Raith Sienar, CEO"
>Ah shite what now?
>"Gentlemen! I was just in a meeting with the CREAM de la CREME of our most valued customer and know what they talked about? WALKERS! BLOODY WALKERS! Our new TIE Mauler tank is a COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE! YOU NIMWITS WERE TOLD OT MAKE A TIE TANK AND YOU COCKED IT UP ROYALLY! I drew up something that will please those high and mighty generals during our lunch break. See attached file. AND MAKE IT WORK THIS TIME! OR YOU ARE FIRED. THE LOT OF YOU!"
>open up the schematic file
>It... it's a TIE Experimental M1 stuck to a pair of modified AT-DP legs
>fuck fuck fuck fuck
>the crazy old coot wants us to build this shit?
>plug in the numbers into our developer server
>surf the holonet for job offers while the computers churn away

(Never greentext while drunk people. those typos were horrible)

So first order ships for armada when?

For those of you wondering how to emulate Raith Sienar, read 2-3 random picks from the Featured Archive from Daily WTF site.

thedailywtf.com/series/feature-articles

Hopefully soon.

The concept art for First Order cruisers was great.

>All that wasted negative space
>Space that could have been taken up by lasers, hangars, armor, coolant, living quarters, hydroponics, water storage, or cargo bays
>Getting from port to starboard requires hoofing it all the way around the aft section

God that looks retarded.

Star Wars has never been known for it practicality.

No. That's fucking horrible. Kill yourself.

See, that's designed to be modular and fit a massive freight landing pod with enough extra space to botch the docking without crashing. They were not intended as warships.

>not intended as warships
>Apparently given a "cruiser" designation
>Still shaped like a warship instead of a freighter
>Not just a gigantic box with engines
>Or a gigantic tug that hauls fuckloads of boxes hooked up to its aft so it doesn't have to worry about space
It's still stupid, just a different flavor of stupid. It's impractical, even by Star Wars standards. Hell, even Rebels managed to design something more practical, and this is the show that gave us lightsaber VTOL and spinning Vic Vipers.

I hope so too user. Sucks that we're not gonna get much in the way of a full line ships till the new trilogy is fully done.

Also consider me alone here but I love that negative space design. It's unique that's for sure. Would be cool if it was modular like that user said. Maybe have a massive inline weapon replace the ball.

Anyone interested in my imperial remnant game mentioned in these last threads really has to drop some emails and such.

Refresh my memory. Time and relevant info for the game?