EDH/Commander General

The Original Partners Edition

Previous thread: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/decks/60458/603757-meren-token-stax/en
m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTl2JpjWwD4
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-beat-down/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-12-16-horde-of-elements/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Should I build 5c allies or gitgud frog as my next deck?

I choose by taking into account which deck will have the most repeated cards between it and your other decks, combined with which deck you have more unused cards lying around that could slot in

If you have the good allies already just from cracking zendi/rtz stuff then it might be a good choice since you'll never use those cards unless you build it for commander

And I personally don't like building a new deck where I'd have to either proxy a bunch of stuff or get extra copies of stuff you're using in other decks

Man, both are pretty boring honestly.

I guess the frog?

Naw man, do varolz

Depends on how spike bullshit you want it.

Allies can be spike bullshit, but it's less fun than not spike bullshit, since you dont actually run many allies.

Froggy lends itself to spike buklshit

postem :^)
allies is awful. I tried making it work once but it just dont

Do you want to blow up people's lands or do cool shit?
Has anyone else built Xenagos as a loner deck? It does so much work, and new players can pilot it decently.

I Don't have a huge collection since I've only been collecting and playing magic For about a year. But I have a lot of the Allies cards already from BFZ and OGW drafts. So that seems like the best option for an EDH deck to me.

Working on my Leovold for when I need to hate on people. I see a lot of lists running Doomsday + Labman wincon. But I am confused: why not just use Leveler or possibly Inverter of Truth? It seems like I could get the same effect with a lot less complication than hoping to have the perfect 5 card stack (which could have some missing components depending on the early game). It gives a few more slots for cards in the deck and is all-around less of a hassle to finish off the game.

I presume at that point in the game, your opponents would have no cards to play to counter a Leveler drop anyways, right?

Because then you need leveler and lab man both in hand

Doomsday is 1-card combo so to speak, that's what makes it strong, you only need combo pieces in your deck, you don't need to draw or tutor them

With leveler you would need to draw it or lab man and tutor for the other, for instance

Also you don't need the "perfect" 5 card stack for doomsday to work, your deck can have enough redundancy in terms of cantrips to rig up a number of workable 5 card piles

Also any card that isn't exiled will be available to you, as doomsday lets you can get cards from your graveyard and put them in the pile as well, and it doesn't touch your hand, if you have any cantrips or draw effects in there

I hope you like my arts and crafts project,
made it on mobile because I'm away from home, sorry

Rate my taste please!

Not pictured are:
Aboshan cephalids (way too gimmicky)
Memnarch control magic (feels bad)
Karlov life gain (yawn)
Daxos the returned "Whoops! All enchantments"
Lazav utility mill and clones (seen way too many times)

Scrapped are:
Tsabo tavoc (I'll rebuild you someday)
Lord of tresserhorn (what a hot mess)
Sygg river guide hard equipment voltron (meh)
Skullbriar "nito" +1/+1s (first deck)
Tymaret prairie fire (worked OK, but wasn't interesting)
And several other half baked abortions

Looking for feedback on Meren Token Stax. Will post deck list shortly.

Meren Token Stax deckstats.net/decks/60458/603757-meren-token-stax/en

To be honest, I'm surprised you're not just doing endrek sahr instead, or at least running him in the 99.

And, I think you need more token producers. Abhorrent overlord, sengir autocrat, etc.

post it to a real website please so i can see the whole deck

I bought Mizzix on a whim at target in one of those repackaged cubes a couple of days ago. Dunno what to do with her yet but I've been meaning to try and build a deck with red because the next deck I planned was Atraxa and I would be playing all colors but red.

Also it allows me to play shit like Dack's Duplicate which is a card I've been wanting to throw into a deck for a while as well as some other clone spells. Also kind of want to throw in Jori En and Hypersonic Dragon but dunno if they'll be very valuable. Jori En seems like the weaker one, Dragon just has the problem of coming in at turn 5 instead of 4.

>No Kamahl, no living plane, not even a Kormus Bell.
It's like you don't even want to edict your opponents' lands

I wish Soulfire Grandmaster was a commander

what are some good spell flingin commanders? I was think Kaho might be pretty fun, build her semi voltron perhaps

>Kaho might be pretty fun
Might be
>build semi voltron
What the actual fuck

mizzix is incredibly powerful. she's definitely my most competitive deck and I don't even think it's that tuned. It makes the spikeyest player in my meta to break out his best deck whenever I play her. with mizzix, you want to cast a ton of instants and sorceries. x-spells work great with her, because they will always give you another experience counter. Dack's Duplicate doesn't really fit in the deck, and Jori En can be replaced by a draw spell that actually fits what your commander is doing. Hypersonic dragon is debatable, because you want to be able to cast your sorceries whenever you want, but often, I find that I would rather spend that 5 mana casting 4 spells.

yeah, I figured that much about Jori, Dragon just comes out late but if he can stick around you can probably bust some neat stuff out with sorcery spells slamming into the stack.

Dack's Duplicate doesn't fit the deck well, I know that, neither does Gigantoplasm but I like clone cards. They're fun and gonna be personal touches until I am sick of them costing me games. I'm also gonna run Saheeli's Artistry and maybe a Stolen Identity because they can do clone shit while still being strong spells.

Striking silent as a dream

Cutting short the strangle scream

The lines of bluish life it cuts

With its vill'nous, spinal butts

m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTl2JpjWwD4

What plane has the best commanders?

Kamigawa

Is Ruhan the most enlightened commander?

Alara.

I'm glad you recognize my genius

Gonti is very fun.

Pulling lots of cards off the top of peoples' libraries is really fun.
Taking all the planeswalkers and big creatures they sort of just tossed in their decks is fun.
Abusing panharmonicon + conjurer's closet + blade of selves to exile people's libraries four+ cards at a time is fun.
I love hitting a Karn off the top of the library.

Or a sol ring.
Kaladesh.

just kidding, it's ravnica.

I remember when he got spoiled, and edhg was a hivemind of "he's unplayable shit", "wow what trash, nobody will play him". All the hype was for rashimi,and guess what? I haven't seen ONE devoted rashimi deck spoken of here or in person, and I've seen a multitude of gonti at my lgs near the uni. Funny how things turn out.

I thought he was really cool, made sure to get a foil regardless if i was going to build him. And yeah I completely agree with you. Reminder to think for yourself when spoiler season comes around, and build whoever interests you.

I made most of the deck from junk I had lying around my house. Turns out that junk was very thematic- Caged Sun, Murder, Underworld Connections, Black Market- while also being very good for the deck.

Say what you will about Gonti, /edhg/, but he is way more fun to play than my last commander.

I knew he was good for cube at least
Too bad I couldnt get hold of a foil

Only acceptable answer

I think the reason is that Gonti is probably the most interesting/fun mono-b commander ever printed, while Rashmi is outclassed in both power and fun by quite a few Simic commanders

One of my buddies runs him in Maren and he does serious work.

The Rashmi player at my shop is a misplay machine and after EDH night last Tuesday he rage quit the deck (taking apart to make a bant list). Of course that means I have to build her and I'm going to try and trade for his copy.

I've been solitairing a list on tappedout and I'm having fun with it.

Theros!

man, thats a really fucking cool card. Kamigawa had so much going for it, why did it have to suck so much that Wizards won't touch it? Hell, at this point I'd be happy if one pre-con had some original cards set on the plane, could you imagine what some splice cards could be if they were designed with EDH in mind?

I remember when it came out. The power level and the mechanics were terrible and everybody hated that block. The flavor was cool though.

Bring back legendary landwalk!

flavor was good in theory but not in practice.
i was a kid when it came out and kid were annoyed by flavor.
We complained that legendaries were so overrappresented and not iconic that it diminished their legendary status.
No one understood spirit. no one.

when 11 year old FUCKING KIDS are not excited about your legendaries spirits it means you did something absolutely fucking wrong.
Ninjas and samurais and snakes were huge flavor hits, but were hard to combine with other cards and colors (unique types, small amount of mana fixing in Kamigawa).
Maybe ninjas were cool to play, but my samurai deck was boring as fuck to build and play. limited choice, forced colors, "uh i guess it triggers bushido how exciting".

What kind of set symbol is that? Do you have no shame?

Dunno, she was printed in legends and I took the picture from tapped-out because it had the best quality.

So yesterday I finally came around to build my own Atraxa deck. It's basically the old Anafenza deck with blue splash for Atraxa and a few other neat cards.

Still need a few good suggestions for good beat down cards, preferably in W/G

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-beat-down/

Lorwyn!
Love me some fairy tales.

Doran, Siege Rhino

??

Lots of people have posted rashmi decks

Also rashmi is clearly much more powerful than gonti

Kids are fucking stupid though, kamigawa spirits are dope as fuck, much like Lorwyn-shadowmoor Elementals

You're right about the cards being unfun to play with though, a lot of stuff was super clunky or underwhelming

It's called masters edition

He's resorting to anecdotal evidence, pay him no mind. But still, Rashmi is the most boring simic commander I've seen and it just screams goodstuff.
I've seen Gontis but no Rashmis, but even I think that Gonti is more interesting. It never was about the power.

Siege Rhino is already in and Doran could be a good idea, if I decide to go towards toughness.

Idk I like rashmi

I don't see goodstuff as a bad thing, goodstuff decks play smoothly and give you options, which I like

Also rashmi screams "play stuff on other peoples turns" to me, not "goodstuff"

Gonti is interesting too though

what the heck is a loner deck? loaner deck? is that what you meant?

i have a xenagos deck and i have a friend who likes card games but is intimidated by mtg. i'd definitely give him my xenagos deck if he wanted to play since yeah, it's very easy to play and typically you don't need to know much interactions besides "can i kill this guy right now?? if yes, no problem"

Not that guy but, I'm pretty sure he meant a loner deck like it's built around swinging with one big creature

How is Yasova as a mid-tier, mid-powerlevel commander? Anyone have any experience?
Alternatively whats the most middle-tier commander you guys can think of? I'm looking to round-out my competitive and jank decks with a deck that will work at a fairly casual friendly table.

but that's what every xenagos deck does. at least i think so. you never want to overextend with xenagos because of the devotion and maintaining card advantage. the only creatures you should play besides your one big swinger are dorks and blockers

Yasova is not good enough to be mid-tier in normal edh

Pretty solid in tiny leaders though

A good example of a mid tier commander would be sigarda heron's grace, another would be Noyan dar maybe, or gonti

I'm just interpreting the other anons words

I run a rashmi deck, and jesus christ is it value.
I run it as my unapologetic pure ug goodstuff deck. Last time I played it, a guy started his turn by casting Autumn's Veil into a Craterhoof, I flashed in a teferi in response, revealing Venser off my top and bouncing his craterhoof back to his hand.
>I-it can't be countered
>I'm not countering it
>Creatures can't be targeted
>It's not a creature on the stack

So fun.

Earlier that game I also cast fact or fiction in response to a merciless executioner, putting a Sakura-tribe elder into play and saving my rashmi.

Divining top helped a lot in planning those.

Divining Top and Sylvan Library are basically musts in that deck. So is Momir-Vig. Momir+Rashmi just give you a whole lot of options.

Extra Turns also generate a lot of value through it, obviously.

Personally I also like to have a bounce spell like evacution on top of my deck, which I cast with Rashmi.
>Use dorks to cast woodland belower
>Rashmi gets a bounce spell from the deck
>Suddenly you have two nice creatures on the field while you opponent doesn't have any. (And maybe still mana to recast rashmi and/or dorks.

Come on guys, I know americans are asleep, but still. There must be some nice swingers that fit into it. Ripped a Force of Will I don't need out of a booster yesterday, so I even got some shekels to spare.

>No krosan grip

when are you people going to learn that Krosan Grip is NOT optional?

I was gonna say Durable Handicraft but I see you already catched on the hot spicy tech

Gotta get that engine rolling, aye?

Couldn't use it that much yet. I'm running out of steam rather quickly with that deck and my top deck isn't that good.

Ok

There's that dude from KLD that draws a card for each critter with a counter you control when etb, could help with that. Or Shamanic Revelation.

I want to try both in Animar as soon as some other cards arrive in the mail.

>tfw my planechase anthology planes just arrived
>tfw gonna play four to six man planechase next week

I hope it's gonna be fun, some of those planes look interesting. I don't understand why there isn't an esper plane but eh..

Also the taplands can slow this deck down a lot. If you got extra money to spend on the deck I'd put some money into the mana-base and trade things like Jungle Hollow and Blossoming Sands for their appropriate shock lands. Also fetches for deck thining.

It will be fun.
Although sometimes the planes might just end up winning the game for one guy

>4man game
>opponent plays urborg, kormus bell and austere command
>entire board goes apeshit, everyone's lands are dead
>cast faith's reward after it all resolves

i wish there were more spells like this

Seconding this.
After playing in competitive metas split second is necessary. It also lets you make sure some of your shit resolves

Yea, anyone that has ever played in any sort of competitive combo-based meta knows that, if you're playing green, Krosan Grip is a must have. It just stops too many combos.

How does it make sure some shit resolves? Opponent can still put things on the stack after it resolves, no?

There's fresh meat. But otherwise I can't think of any cards with similar effects.

not the best but can be fun

Most of kamigawas stuff is underwhelming but ink-eyes seems like a neat general, especially when paired with marrow-gnawer. Basically build removal.dec and steal your opponents creatures?

Just built my first 5 color edh deck. Trying out elemental tribal good stuff with some life gain and recursion. Still a bit miffed that Cavern of Souls is still so much though. Any suggestions on cards to add or take out?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-12-16-horde-of-elements/

Why baleful force over bloodgift demon? Because it's each upkeep?

Oh nvm, I'm dumb, didn't see elemental tribal.

Ezuri's Snake tribal buddy comes to mind, but generally yeah, not much sadly. Bet something from Kamigawa would've worked better than fucking Kraum and Ludevic.

I'm about to make a deck around pic related, with recurring a lot of powerful ETB creatures. Is it a bad idea? Is there someone who would do the job better?

meren?
sheoldred?

follow up to my faiths reward adventure

>go looking for super secret tech for orzhov recur deck
>find pic related

it's like a fucking goldmine of secret tech

Sudden disappearance
That one card that was in the white black 2015 precon
Can't think of anything else

Yeah its elemental tribal. Also because its on each upkeep, meaning tons of card draw. I can keep my life total up with some of my other creatures so its not that bad either.

Kamigawa was about actual eastern mythology so nobody liked it

mono green is really bad for abusing ETBs

if you want to flicker for etbs, go for green and white, or green and blue. or just forgo green entirely and go azorius or something like that.

if you want to recur for etbs/ltbs, go for black/white + the color you want

Eerie interlude.

who would you recommend for a black/white flicker build

Triad of fates

Sudden Disappearance is sorcery speed unfortunately.

Ghost Way works at instant speed though.

Loner deck as in a deck you can loan out to a new player who's probably playing EDH for the first time.

that's not how words work

it's "loaner" not loner

What are cards that I can use to force players to shuffle their library? I know soldier of fortune is a thing, but I need dimir things to abuse psychic surgery.

Preator's Grasp
Jester's Cap
Bitter Ordeal
Denying Wind
Extract
Sadistic Sacrament

Basically cards that search your opponent library are your best bet to abuse that type of effect.

things like infinite obliteration, surgical extraction, effects similar etc

is mizzix basically the best izzet commander or can a case be made for malek?

Neither, it's

ludevic

post pet cards

In Newzuri

is there a card searching tool that lets me search based on the amount of mana symbols on the card? like i wanna see all the instant cards that need a single red mana plus however many generic to cast