Drifters

How fun would this be as a TTRPG? How would you do it?

For those not in the know, Drifters is a series where various 'warriors' from throughout history have been transported to a fantasy world rather than dying. This leads to scenarios such as a WW2 Fighter ace taking out Dragons in a Zero, or Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid saving Scipio and Hannibal from a swarm of rapey kobolds.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan#Military_same-sex_love
badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?archive=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I haven't seen or read drifters but I robbed the "historical people transported to fantasy world" idea for a campaign from it, it's going ok. I don't have a group of very strong roleplayers, which makes it weaker than it could be.

Who's in the party?

Fun if I can lewd Yoichi.

Homer, Odysseus, Godfrey of bouillon, and Theodore Roosevelt

I didn't know I needed this.

I did think Yoichi was a girl for the first few episodes though.

Oh, so not real people then? I'd worry about players wanting to be the Hitlers and Cortezes if I wan ruch a game.

You get to have Yoichi.
EASY gets to have you.

Is this any good? I didn't like the first episode and dropped it after that, but maybe it's unfair and it gets better later.

I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of hitlers

I think it does get better. I pushed through the first episode due to it apparently being one of the more popular series on Crunchyroll at the moment. It begins to take off as more characters are introduced, and the protagonist becomes more developed.

Hitler is key character in the backstory of the world.
And BBEG is son of carpenter

Seems like it could very easily turn into a pretty generic fantasy game with some extra canon anachronisms.

Read it, you double faget.

He's talking about his personal not-Drifters game.

I think the interesting bit is how those anachronisms affect the world itself. A kid who did well at chemistry might be more dangerous than the greatest general, if transplanted into a fantasy setting.

The anime isn't particularly bad either.

Are the GURPs fans all asleep?

We discussed that and ended up with World of Darkness with extra exp for the Drifters and with additional mystical merits for the Ends.

Either group can also use Down and Dirty Combat on mook troops.

Same way you'd run a Fate Stay Night game tbqh

gay

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan#Military_same-sex_love

No I just woke up. Waddaya want?

Drifters needs a system that can incorporate both modern and ancient weapons. Generic systems like GURPS (or FATE) can do that.

Shadowrun is probably also an option in this case.

So did this shit actually got better? Dropped it after the 3rd episode

READ

THE

M
A
N
G
A

What the fuck is it with all these anime-only non-reading retards on Veeky Forums? Do you fucking watch Jackson's LotR and refrain from reading the books too?

Not really. Scipio and Hannibal are probably the best part of this, but they don't have enough screen time

No fucking thank you. Why would I read this when I can spend my time reading shit that isn't retarded? Also thanks for the non-answer

Why did you then even try watching the anime when reading the manga would've taken like a fifth of the time?

What even is your deal? I stated that I found the first episodes bad enough to drop the anime over it and was asking if it got better after that. The quality of the manga has nothing to do with it.

With that many brothers, someone has to be the girl.

>Fate, the rpg

Weebshit and trash

My deal is telling you that the manga is better from start to eventual ending, as per the overwhelming trend.

It's the complete opposite of Fate.

What? It's nothing like Fate. Historical people being transported to a fantasy world and raising hell with their anachronistic and mostly non-magical skills and knowledge in a war for territory isn't comparable to magical waifus and completely butchered historical personalities having some clique-like fighting over some magic McGuffin while using magic swords in the modern world.

that is like double gay

Might be, but I already have enough stuff to read right now so I was asking if the anime was worth picking up again. Is that so hard to understand?

Well, if you're short on time then the manga takes less time to read than the anime takes to watch. I can't speak for the anime either, but the manga gets better after the first few chapters, yes.

>I can't speak for the anime
Then why did you even reply to my first post?

Because I've read the manga so I dropped the anime quickly after it became obviously that it followed the overwhelming trend of being worse than the manga, and, despite that, I can say that since the manga gets better due to the writing, then the anime, assuming it follows the manga, also benefits from the better writing, while still remaining inferior to and more time consuming than the manga.

I'd like to see an encounter with circa WW2 ships fighting against giant, tentacled sea monsters.

>Oh, so not real people then?
I'm pretty sure all of them aside from odysseus are real people.

>your shipfu will never get molested by tentacles
I didn't know I wanted that until now

Incest is only bad when procreational. Recreational is a-okay.

>procreational incest
>bad

Oda Nobunaga is such a blatant player character, he even does the "i invent gunpowder" meme

My country was part of the Hapsburg Empire once. Was.

I'm confused as to how Homer and a character he invented could possibly both exist together.

>there are slovenes posting on this board right now
Fuck outta here

Odysseus might have existed as a person. It's just that the story of him we have today is greatly blown out of proportion by exaggerated re-telling. Would not be the first time that happened with a real historical personality.

Well, this is Oda we're talking about.

He's quickly one-upped by the Minigun and Fighter Plane anyway.

seems like fun.

in this setting, do motorized things run out of fuel?
advanced ammo comes from where?
are all the characters named or can we have some great unknowns?

ever hear of Badass of the Week?
badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?archive=1

knowing nothing about the system, I'd run it with a party of unknowns. warriors good enough to make it in but not good enough to be really remembered.

The last time I checked it wasn't minigun it was the original Gatling Gun (crank-operated) and he wasn't so much one-upped by it but rather incorporating it into the Drifters' arsenal.

Ammo and fuel aren't infinite, they're stuck using what they arrive with. If they have the knowledge and means to make more, then there's no reason they couldn't.

Absolutely not, because first of all it's usually only fucked-up families and relationships that turn into incest because it's not a normal way to look at parent and sibling figures. Second of all, once you start looking at them like that, the odds of looking at them at an increasingly romantic way increases a ton, and then you're not too far from wanting to start, uh a family with them, but like the same family but differently.

I would if it would get translated. Pretty sure that it's a monthly release and that Drifter's current scanslator inpowerz releases an issue every 4-6 months, or so. Pretty sure they're like a year and a half behind.

It's closer to Gate. Except but with the heavy line-style of Hellsing, no waifu/harem trash, and instead of one marysue being noble and good at everything, everyone is a fucking sociopath that brings certain skills to the table, and they all have to make do with what they've got in the world, instead of having a continuous supply line pumping plane fuel in through a magic portal.

Highlights include shitting on corpses to make gunpowder and Oda Nobunaga geeking out over cartridge guns and radio-speed communications.

>Zhuge Liang a shit

Does teddy Ride around on a Pegasus wearing a bear skin robe?

>GUAN YU ALL UP IN THESE NIGGAS!

depends, only two main factions so far (Drifters and the Ends) sounds a little bit too boring tough
and yes, there is the Orte-empire, and the one merchant-sea-nation, but Orte is being conquered by the Drifters anyway, and I suppose they are going to be allies with the merchant nation

what about when its financial?

user, if you want that I think should go for a different anime.

All Shu a shit.

>YOU SUCK YOUR WHORE MOUTH, BITCH!

Now that depends on the cost you gotta pay and value you're getting for it.

>Do you fucking watch Jackson's LotR and refrain from reading the books too?
LOTR bores me to death. Tolkien's writing is so fucking dull. The world is vivid, but the writing is dull as fuck.
I'd play in his RPG setting, but not read more of his books.
I honestly couldn't get into the movies. Long-winded and boring, and that was just the first one. I need to commit pretty much ten hours just to complete three fucking movies? And then another ten for the Hobbit, which was one fucking book?

Tolkien was an RPG writer before RPGs existed.

Well, yeah. Why do you think D&D takes so much from him?

Also, I don't blame you for not wanting to watch The Hobbit.