/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
>Community DMs Guild trove
Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w
>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread
What houserules are you currently using?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DREDV1yFOYs
youtube.com/watch?v=W460b2psKpM
reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/5d8q8s/all_the_races_classes_and_spells_available_repost/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the 'everybody gets 1 reroll' houserule.

No tieflings, dragonborn, or gnomes.

>What houserules are you currently using?
Modifications of UA feats because they're almost all terrible, terrible representations of how history and archeology surmise ancient, medieval, and renaissance weaponry was actually used. Also because they don't solve the problem of their being a mechanically optimal choice in arms for certain builds, which, frankly, is a bit boring.

Also, having a feat or fighting style that adds finesse to other weapons. It's not only more historically accurate, it's more interesting than having everyone run around with rapiers and daggers.

I will play a dual-wielding dex paladin and you can't stop me

I really should go swashbuckler instead but I wanna be divine and fey as fuck

In my games, only races with Sunlight Sensitivity get true Darkvision. Everyone else gets Low-Light Vision, which is like Darkvision but only works in dim light.

That's okay. Have fun user!

We've got a ton.
The most important to me personally is that instead of Wild Magic being a d20 roll it's a d10, and every time it's rolled and doesn't go off the chances it will next time go up by one.

We've also got a few other things like a confirmation roll for crits that can either make things better or worse, our druid is pretty heavily reworked etc

My campaign houserules are this:

No Mystic (Mystic UA)
No Changeling (Eberron UA)
No Abyssal Tiefling (Old Black Magic UA)
No Runescribe (Rune Magic UA)
No Races/Classes from the DMG

Encumbrance according to attached PDF.

Resurrection not possible.

Modification of Backgrounds into a mini-lifepath.

An Inspiration modification,

Great Stonking Huge Wild Surge chart.

A fistful of homebrewed character options (new races, new archetypes, skills).

I'm updating Dragonstar to 5th edition as well, so there'll be plenty of house rules popping up in the days to come.

Challenge: design a character (or BBEG, if you GM) based on the last song you listened to.

youtube.com/watch?v=DREDV1yFOYs

Well holy shit. Storm Sorcerer/Rogue. Pump CHA, and just be a smooth-talking badass.

Every ability score bonus in Intelligence nets you one free tool or language proficiency. It makes intelligence less of a dump stat.
Gnomes are reskinned into pic related.

What is the most cancerous character concept there is?

tiefling warlock rogue who steals the entire partys money

8 int conjuraton wizard that casts polymorph to fuck animals and summon pickaxes

Intelligence and dexterity, as well as charisma and wisdom, have their saves consolidated into "reflex" and "will", which uses the highest of the two stats

Also monks get a third attack per attack action at level 11

I want to convey a kind of exaggerated cockney accent via text for one of my characters but don't know how. Any help?

>A hymn to Elbereth Gilthoniel
The goddess of light, star-kindler... uuhhh...

An angel of the star goddess has gone a bit wonky and wants to fill the material plane with radiant energy, turning the earth into a star (and kinda killing all mortals in the process, whoops)?

Sooo I'm just getting into a 5e game, as my first experience with the system.

Are there any more races and classes other than the ones in PHB?

Why don't you also use Fort?

jus' pu' an apostrophe in place of mos' "t" sounds to show the glo'al stops

Virts guide to monsters in the op.

Any character made by a player who doesn't understand how alignment works or basic human morality.

Because strength has enough things that require saving throws that combining strength and constitution doesn't turn a totally useless save into a useful one, but rather combines two useful saves

I mean, it does work fine if you do that, but strength is already something of a dump stat, and all strength-using classes want high constitution anyway, and since strength saves actually get used, unlike intelligence and charisma saves, it causes more problems

Guys I got D&D in an hour, can you point me out to the rule about if you cast a spell as a bonus action, your main spell can only be a cantrip?

'ere you cheeky caaaahnt, firs' ya do wha' 'e said, an' then you 'ave a butcher's a' orkish gabber in Warhammer an' Robert's ya muvver's bruvver

Lissen 'ow 'e talks in Quadrophenia. WHA'S THA' THEN EHHH? PISS AAAWWFFF
youtube.com/watch?v=W460b2psKpM

I may get flak for linking to leddit, but this is a pretty comprehensive list and I'm not gonna be arsed to reformat.

reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/5d8q8s/all_the_races_classes_and_spells_available_repost/

>I may get flak for linking to leddit
Not a problem.

Thanks!

Awyiss, genasi aren't just a homebrew on dandwiki.

Thanks lads

PHB, page 202. "Bonus Action" heading.

Come at me.

I think it needs a buff, where? Make the 13th level a bonus action? It might still balance out since rogues have lots of things to use their bonus action for.

Does 17th level need a nerf?

The 13th level feature could easily be a bonus action, but I'd shorten it's range, thrown sand doesn't go very far

Sounds like you put some good work into it. Mind showing us?

Do unicorns have any specific enemies, other than general Evil and shits who leave candy wrappers in their grove?

Big monstrous creatures may try to eat them. Also, poachers probably could sell the horn. Anything besides that you'd have to make up whole cloth.

The entire PHB consists of terrible, terrible representations of history and archeology. That said, mind sharing your stuff?

user, not using unpublished materials is not a houserule. You'd have to houserule those IN to use them.

I guess it wasn't explicit, but, all other UA except for the ones listed are allowed in.

Adding, the problem with conflicts with unicorns is they aren't known for going out of their way to do things or being in the way of anything generally. Maybe other beings of the forest like cruel fey would seek to do them ill, or anything destructive or corruptive to the forest as a whole would set them at odds.

'tis the season...
High elf artificer?

eh, I haven't worked on it in a while (been a few months since I last posted a version of it) and it needs updating to accommodate some of the (actually not terribly bad) ideas in the newer UA. I'll post them again once I've had a chance to tidy them up. Anons seemed to like the polearms options in that thingy.

>The entire PHB
Sure, but I find the equipment bit the most egregious. And I totally understand how things like the Fighter UA were presented, where they explicitly acknowledged the anachronisms taken in order to make a more accessible/fun game.

I just find it a bit odd that *because* of our shared cultural (mis)understandings about these things that some weapons are pigeonholed into builds/molds that can be a bit jarring.

He employs elves, but I like him better as a dorf.

I don't care about Reddit but that just looks messy. Attached is much nicer even if it includes the DMsGuild stuff WotC approved and is a bit messy from the revenant and such.

So... you use reflex saving throws to see through illusions?
Also, are there now tons of classes with only one save?

And here I thought this was going to be a nice thread.

Fantasy is naught but a collection of fanciful ideas. Historical myths and misunderstandings flow naturally into it.

3rd level feature is OP because a single attack is potentially massive for a rogue.
9th level feature makes no sense because you don't need advantage to sneak attack.
13th level feature should be called "pocket sand" and should be available to all characters instead of just this archetype
17th level feature is fine.

I should have been more specific - by "the entire PHB" I really did mostly mean the equipment chapter. D&D-based misinformation is one of my bigger frustrations, but fortunately it's getting better as more and more people actually care enough to research things.
At least they got rid of katanas.

One of his nicknames is the "jolly old elf."

I swear I was thinking "and is called one" when I typed that. Yes he's called an elf, but the historical lines between the fanciful races are so blurry as to be useless.

But yeah, sure, fine, a fat elf.

Oh, I agree, 100%. The 5e PHB's equipment list is miles and miles better than prior editions in terms of historical accuracy. I mean, sure, the armor fluff and descriptions is still mostly bollocks, but that's just what you're stuck with when you have a single defense stat. And lots of other stuff such as historical use of halberds and the like is actually fairly opaque, so you can't fault the authors for filling it in with cultural cues.

The only real (fairly minor) issues at hand is that sacred cow of a longsword and hammers, but that's fairly small stuff.

>3rd level feature is OP because a single attack is potentially massive for a rogue.
You sure? It's grapple+attack, but you have to actually succeed in grappling them. And only the first time they're grappled, not for the duration.
>9th level feature makes no sense because you don't need advantage to sneak attack.
You need either advantage or an adjacent ally. This is meant to go around that requirement, as Swashbuckler does, but while still requiring the other things (right type of weapon).
>13th level feature should be called "pocket sand" and should be available to all characters instead of just this archetype
Yeah, so how do I buff it to make it worth a feature?
>17th level feature is fine.
Fantastic!

>One of his nicknames is the "jolly old elf."
That kind of elf is more akin to a gnome than a tall-elf

>DM says that rogues getting sneak attack is retarded and ruled that it only works in the surprise round

Help me convince him otherwise. I don't want to leave yet.

So there's a bunch of monsters that auto grappled and have a escape DC for the grapple. To escape, is that a plain Str/Dex check or do Athletics or Acrobatics apply?

Each round, I mean.

See, I was following you until this. What is each round?

>grapple+attack
It's a toss-up, but I'd be hesitant to give a rogue an extra attack over his other actions, ever. Plus, rogues use their bonus actions for lots of things already, so this might clash with their general style too much.
>other things (right type of weapon)
Then you should specify what you mean, because "other requirements" is a pretty vague phrase.
>pocket sand
It's just not good as a class feature, because causing status effects without expending resources is risky, but then again you don't want to waste your action on it. It wouldn't fit well with the class in general.
>fantastic
Swell!

We can argue over the historical mixing of various mythological creatures, particularly in the little-understood non-Snorri Nordic mythology, or just go based on modern names. Let's do that second one.

DM says that rogues getting sneak attack each round is overpowered and retarded and ruled that it only works in the surprise round.

They apply.

I assume user meant DM doesn't like sneak attacks happening on each round.

Your DM is an idiot. Rogues depend on SA for their damage output in the same way that paladins depend on Smite and fighters rely on attacking lots of times. The class needs a major buff if he takes it away.

>It's a toss-up, but I'd be hesitant to give a rogue an extra attack over his other actions, ever. Plus, rogues use their bonus actions for lots of things already, so this might clash with their general style too much.
His "other actions" is literally just the grapple. And the clashing seems more feature than bug, if you're grappling and shanking you aren't also darting around the battlefield.

Explain to him that it's the core feature of the class and the only thing that keeps them competitive in combat since they don't get extra attack or spells - and without it they have literally nothing except skills and expertise so they might as well be a non-combatant commoner class.

Oh ok. Yeah tell him this isn't old school "backstab", it's simple precision misdirection and trickery adding to your attacks when you have any kind of advantage. Also point out that a rogue simply can't compete with any other class if they can't sneak attack often, either he has to play it as is or ban the class as its completely neutered.

This: Rogues don't get extra attack, fighting styles, smites, hunter's mark, rage damage, none of that. They are completely and entirely dependent on sneak attack to keep up.

>at 5th level clerics gain the ability to revivify anyone who died within the last minute

So, it goes from "possibility that someone dies" to "no one ever dies, unless it's the cleric or a total party kill"? How do you deal with that?

Have monsters drag unconscious bodies away from the fight, either to eat/loot/imprison them depending on how smart the thing is

Anything humanoid or half as smart as one will know to separate the fallen from that healing guy. If it's too dumb for that the players deserve the advantages of it.

The cleric still has to prepare the spell AND use one of their only two 3rd-level slots on it. That's a very real cost when you only have 9 slots in total and need to use them on spiritual weapon/bless/cure spells.
By the time clerics can throw 3rd-level slots around comfortably they already know Raise Dead anyway.

Do Pact of Tome warlocks make decent casters? I figure that so long as you focus your pact magic on combat/mobility spells, then take the 1/day and at-will invocations, and take pact of tome and some open decent utility mystic arcanum, the warlock can be a pretty competent caster.

Yeah, Tome Warlocks are great casters

Kinda. They're flexible but less options than a wizard. Invocations give them special niches though, so it's still worthwhile. Just don't get those 1/day invocations and you're good.

What other minions would a Chain Devil have besides hell hounds?

But polymorph and conjure elemental are great grabs

Eh I guess. Still shouldn't cost a slot.

Yeah I suppose, at least you get the slot back on a short rest, just not the spell itself. My parties always have long pauses between combats during a day, so sneaking in short rests is simple as pie

Imps. Invisible and constantly using the help action.

Also the cleric would need to have a steady supply of diamonds to be able to cast the spell regularly

When YOU crit, do you roll double the dice, or do you roll once and double the result? I know how it's done RAW, I'm just curious what you do at your table.

>D&D-based misinformation

That's just your usual misinformation.

>mfw our current party has all three and i'm the dragonborn

My DM uses the crit from older editions, where the attack does the maximum damage doable with a regular hit.

aw man i used to love spiral knights my dude

I've been playing a Tome warlock and my experience is that the class operates like a caster outside of combat, and a martial in combat. The class runs out of juice really fast, so if you're actions become much more rote if you can't take short rests.

Infinite illusions can be pretty handy, and Misty Visions effectively does the same thing as Darkness + Devil's Sight, only it's more efficient and you get a bunch of extra utility out of it.

This bloke's go' the righ' idea an' then you migh' as well drop all the bloody aitches off the fron' of words like 'orse an' 'aberdashery as well.

I'm going with Firbolg Forge Cleric.

Sage Advice literally states "Rogue is balanced to assume that they gets Sneak Attack every time [The same way Ranger is balanced to assume it doesn't get Favored Enemy]"

4th edition is the only one that did this, and combined it with extra dice rolled from magical weapons.

I played a chainlock and it wasn't that different. Basically a ranged fighter in combat, and an arcane trickster outside of combat.
I then multiclassed into arcane trickster.

No item draw limitations.
Want to put away your sword, drink a potion, and get your sword out again? Fine.
Want to wield your rapier and dagger on your first turn without a feat? Go for it.
Want to put away your warhammer, draw a javelin, throw it, draw and throw another javelin, and have your warhammer back out in time for that enemy provoking a reaction attack as it runs away? Have fun.
Need to cast that Cleric spell with hammer and shield in hand? Whatever, as long as you can wave your arms around, you're good.

>Need to cast that Cleric spell with hammer and shield in hand? Whatever, as long as you can wave your arms around, you're good.
This is official RAI, anyway

Per what? Session? Encounter? Long Rest? Campaign?

"Everybody gets one" sounds like you get one in a player's lifetime. Maybe he meant per campaign though.

What do you guys think of this as a final boss. Mind you, this is for a level 20 party consisting of a sorcerer, wizard, paladin, and barbarian and they have artifacts and legendaries up the ass.

Would you recommend using pact magic that focuses on combat or out of combat spells?

Isn't that built into 5e though with the Inspiration mechanic?

It's not a reroll ANYTHING but it's a reroll mechanic nonetheless.

>dual-wielding dex fey skirmisher
Why not play Bard, exactly?

>implying anybody remembers inspiration

a pity, really.

>Teleport as a free action
Seeing as this means infinite uses per turn, he can teleport in from the other side of the planet, attack, then teleport back. You might, uh, want to reword that.
>No weak saves
Even the Tarrasque has +0 on dex.
>Switch Form
Just say "until the end of its next turn." No need for the "1 full round (explanation)" phrasing you have there.
Also, explain how the shield HP and form HP interacts with the main HP.
>War Demon
tf is magical bludgeoning damage?
>Psychic Demon
Status effects do not specify how long they last, so they last forever. If this is your intention. ok.
Critical saves aren't a thing. Just say "natural 20."
>Environmental Demon
Does a conjured 10-ton boulder count as "environment"? Just say he's immune to weapon and spell damage and status effects and let creativity do the rest.
>Summon Phyrexians
What stats do these have? Same as his forms?
>Telegraphed Attacks
We Dark Souls now, boys

In conclusion, he's way too weak.
Except for the teleport thing.

You get one free action in 5e. No weak saves because fuck 'em. The explanation is for my rules lawyer player. The HP stuff makes sense to me, so whatever. Magical bludgeoning damage is damage type bludgeoning and magic. Status effects do last forever, until dead. Crit/nat 20 are the same thing. Conjured boulder doesn't work, as it was produced by magic. Summons are a bit stronger.

What would you add or change?

spells are for dweebs, smiting is for bros
queen of the talking beasts 4 lyfe

What's the best way to bladelock?

Play Eldritch Knight and take Magic Initiate (Warlock)

First off, critical save sounds stupid. No, I'm not the same guy who just corrected you. Second, I believe the wording you are looking for would be "bludgeoning damage that counts as magical for overcoming resistance", yes? There's no such thing as magic damage unless you want to call out a specific damage type in that spectrum.

Yes, the latter.