Drug & Alcohol use during/before gaming sessions?

What is Veeky Forums's opinion to using drugs and alcohol before or during a session or otherwise being under the influence of a drug during game time?

I've personally never played under the influence or with anyone under the influence, but my personal opinion is no hard stuff (heroin, coke, etc) and nothing that would severely hamper your ability to play the game (being extremely high, excessively drunk, use of strong hallucinogens.)

It seems to me a bit of weed and maybe some booze could help get everybody in a better mood and relax them, and perhaps, due lowered inhibitions, cause people to get in character more. But go too far and your players are losing dice, forgetting rules, forgetting initiative, getting sick, etc.

My rules:
>weed
No
>alcohol
Only if it doesn't stop you from playing
>anything else
No

out of curiousity, why do you not allow weed? is it the smoke/smell? is it because it's illegal in your area?

Role playing should ease one out of one's inhibitions. Seen too many games falter and sputter out because of weed & booze.

I'm forever GM and I love to have a couple beers or cocktails while I'm running. With some snacks. As long as the players don't get sloppy, it's fine by me.

It'd be mainly the smell for me. Even if I wasn't in an apartment, the smell clings to everything. I'm alright with vaping or edibles, but my friends are grown up enough to know whether they can function with a little weed on board or not.

I smoke weed every time

My friends have yet to understand that, and they say "I've never done this sober" as a reason to never try.

Then they end up screwing with the GM more than actually playing the game.

My group is forever beer and pretzels.

Plus I have done hallucinogens (lsd) and I could play a good game of heroscape on lsd for sure

If people want to do drugs outside my house, or drink here, that's fine if they can still fucking pay attention, I'm not their mom.

A DM I had once though would constantly ingest God knows what due to a belief that it would allow him to achieve a higher level of clarity.

Lol I do that sober

Every time I go to the table drunk as a skunk I wind up doing a stellar job at roleplay, I guess I'm just one of those freaks whose inhibitions need to be loosened up a bit before gaming!

A drink or two is fine. Never had anyone do weed or other drugs yet.

Booze is OK if people know their limit.
Weed is OK if you're not party face and let me take a puff or three.
Hash and opium follow rules for weed but I will pass
Amphetamines are OK. I've played with med student who was loaded on the stuff all the time and she was one of the most disciplined players.
Codeine is usually OK.
Ecstasy means you're out of the session. Or, hypothetically speaking, that everybody else is out of the session, if you're particularly hot.
Bath Salts mean we're switching system to AFMBE LARP.
Shrooms, acid, paint thinners, etc. are verboten.

Jesus no. Trying to GM for drunk people is the worst. They just can't stay on topic and focused on the task at hand.

I've personally played while taking amphetamines and the guys I used to play with have long sessions, as in 5-6 hours was fairly regular. We made a day of DND. One particular session I was coming off my medicine and was irritable and argued with the DM. Didn't end well.

Is that what you tell yourself? Not being sassy but you might want to think about that.

Remember, it's only alcohol abuse when the GM spills his whisky soda all over the table, again.

A little (know your limits) can help people to loosen up, especially those who are quieter out of feeling awkward.
If it's a straight-forward combat game and not too serious, being a little merry can make things more fun. Nothing quite like hitting max damage on the boss and the table erupting with cheers.

>alcohol
Yes but not to excess
>amphetamines
Yes
>cocaine
That guy was bit weird but fine
>weed
Absolutely not, stoned people make shit players no matter what they tell themselves. You can go without your addiction for a few hours.

Every fucking time somebody spills bongwater all over the fucking books or sheets
Every fucking time

Even if everyone agrees to keep that shit away from the table, take your eyes off them for ten seconds and they fucking do it anyway

Only setting appropriate--beer or Romulan ale or something.

Do what you want, I'm not your mum
I trust my friends enough to not be twats about it.

This pretty much. Me and the other players rarely have more than 3 beers each a session

>alcohol
Yes, I get a hearty buzz going whenever I GM, it helps me relax and get into character for playing NPCs.

>weed
No. In all my years of GMing, I've never seen a player perform better while high. Either they can't focus, or they can't take it seriously, or some other shit. I'm pretty pro-weed, but not at the game table.

>adderall
Definitely allowed. My one friend had taken adderall to help study before a session and they were much more focussed on the game and attentive to detail, now they take it before every session.

>Acid
This is only good once in a while, and only when everyone is on it. I love DMing on acid, my two best sessions have been day-long trips.

>other
No experience so far.

What's the best alcohol to drink for D&D? Beer, mead, wine, or something else?

I will never get the nerd-boner for mead. It's just a shitty cross between wine and cider that's expensive to buy at the store.

That being said I just go for whatever I'm feeling at the moment. Most of the time I grab two or three bombers of craft beer, sometimes I get a bottle of red or a 12 of the cheapest beer in store.

>I will never get the nerd-boner for mead
It's sweet, which is a big part of the appeal. It also panders to the "historically accurate" crowd, retarded as that is.

I like a little alcohol awhile before we start, to make me loosen up. Then once I'm comfortable I stay like that after I sober up shortly after the start.

>What is Veeky Forums's opinion to using drugs and alcohol before or during a session or otherwise being under the influence of a drug during game time?
People who are intoxicated are rarely if ever actually enjoyable to be around unless you are similarly impaired. Since I don't do drugs I expect others to have the courtesy to do theirs on their own time and not fuck up a session with their "hilarious" antics.

Way to be a wet blanket user you sound like my lame ass forever dm

One and done rule.

No illegal stuff, because I don't need that in my fucking house, but other then that, if you prove yourself unable to play drunk or toked up? Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

My pathfinder group has always been fairly lax. The GM and I would often have a few beers during game, and our one stoner player was ok to have a puff so long as he did it away from the house.
I for one enjoy having a beer or 2 during game. Really helps me relax.

If the tone of the game is serious, come sober or be very, very moderate.

If the tone is semi-serious, then pretty much anything is fine in moderation except for like, crack, heroin, bath salts, etc.

If the tone of the game is super light then pretty much anything goes although I would still prefer to not have players at my table on HARD drugs just because I prefer not to be around people who are fucked up on heroin, crack, meth, etc period.

Basically, adults can make their own choices. If you're too far gone to play, I'll ask you to leave the table, if it happens regularly, I'll stop asking you back, but as long as you can keep your shit together we're cool. A lot of my players smoke a little herb or drink a little and it's not a problem.

>weed
None of my friends of avid pot smokers so it's never come up but the paraphernalia seems like it's way too cumbersome for the game table (same for Hookah). Wouldn't have any problem with anybody playing while high assuming they don't get dudebro

>acid and other psychotropics
Wouldn't be ok with people doing drugs that alter their state of mind considering you need to be somewhat concentrating on the game, thankfully it's never come up

>alcohol
you need to be 18 or older to browse this site
see
for obviously underage opinions

Optimally, I'll start the game out sober, but if the group is being held in somebody's home, and they allow alcohol, I'll try to keep myself at a comfortable buzz where I can still function and game properly, but am less inhibited.

Acid is okay in my experience, so long as the players are really into the game normally anyways. Trying to force people who are only half-into the game to play while tripping is a nightmare. As long as you don't do so much that you start hallucinating hard, it's not that bad.

It's the same as drugs and alcohol everywhere else; alright in moderation, horrible in excess.

My group drinks at the table if we feel like it. AFAIK none of us really put anything into ourselves but booze and food when gaming. Normally I like to uncork a large format brew or two and pour a round for the table before we get started. Tends to last us until we break for dinner, especially with something like a doppelbock or blegian quad.

>large format Belgian Quad
>drunk typo
kek

For my part, I generally far prefer pot to alcohol, but I would honestly rather the folks I'm playing with drink modestly than smoke modestly. People who get high tend to become unfocused and lethargic, and often get tired sooner, resulting in shorter sessions. Alcohol makes people more outgoing and less self-conscious, and in modest portions, has very little downside other than the flip-side of those very qualities (there is a danger of people being a bit brash, for instance). Of course, I'll take people who are high as shit over people who are drunk as shit any day, though I wouldn't honestly play with either.

>alcohol
sure. as long as you aknowledge the fact that we're here to play, not to get wasted. but 1-3 bottles of beer, depending on the session's lentgh, won't hurt, contrary, will help to soften the inhibitions, especially for more shy of the players. Low doses of alcohol also increase your talking "flow" so it is quite welcome.
>weed
God, no. People are fucking dumb after doing weed. It's cool when you're going just to sit and chill out but if you're going to do some serious gaming it's going to suck. Even board games are too fucking complicated to play while stoned, RPGs even more so
>other drugs
Depends on the drug. I doubt that ingesting amphetamines (regular ones, like aderall, not like meth) would seriously hurt, so I'd allow it just to check out how it will turn out. Benzos would be cool for same reason alcohol is cool - except the lack of most negative effects of alcohol. Most others I think would blow your mind to far away. I once RPed online after doing molly, shit was fun when it lasted,as I had literally no inhibitions + hyperactivity, but after it came down and I realized what I was doing i cringed too fucking hard to ever try this again.

I'm OK with a little bit of drinking at the table, as long as nobody gets drunk. And even that really only comes up on Sundays, as almost always one or more of the people in my groups are co-owners of the store, so we usually play there. If we play on a Sunday, when the store is closed and it's just us, people might have one drink, and that's about it.

It's a damn lot better than people getting sloppy drunk and stupid like in games during college.

Drugs are bad, mkay...

You honestly put cocaine, amphetamines, and alcohol above weed

My roleplaying is better when I'm buzzed or light-drunk, but going further than that i lose patience and interest.

Nothing strange given the context. Weed is fine if you want to chill out and sit in place, laugh, listen to music, watch funny things.
BUT stoned person trying to do anything even semi-serious, complicated and/or coherent is an absolutely pahtetic failure that is pissing of everyone around, unless they are stoned too. And if everything is stoned, there is no game because no one has the ability to push it forward.
tl;dr weed is fine and cool, but at the game table there are.few drugs that are worse than it

>suck at mtg
>take a hit of weed before modern night
>somehow good enough to now to 8 with norin sisters aka tier 3 at best against the likes of tRon and ad nauseum
I don't even understand. Should I do this all the time? I had a lot more fun to, was hungry all the time tho

Me and my friends are always stoned when we play EDH and it's always fun.

We're also huge assholes to each other and that is also fun.

Yeah, no. People on pot are intolerable under any circumstances, except to other people also on pot, and if everyone is on pot, the game isn't going to happen at all.

Any other more serious drug would be even more debilitating, so you may as well just not play.

As for alcohol, it exaggerates your natural personality. The girl who doesn't really pay attention? She will not pay attention at all. The one who distracts everyone? She will be distracting people like you would not believe. That one guy who is kind of an asshole to people? Now he will be a massive asshole, constantly, to everyone. The dude who is weird and creepy is now a full on molester. It will just ruin the game.

Don't take intoxicants at the same time as you are doing anything else which is either important to you, has real world consequences, or requires focus or attention.

Drunk people are a hundred times more obnoxious (and retarded) than stoned people. If we're comparing low doses of both specifically as they relate to RPGs, then sure, I'll go with alcohol, but that's a rare exception.