Lvl 20

Ok, so a level 20 Fighter is kinda Hercules, a level 20 Wizard is basically a Demi-god, a level 20 Barbarian is a force of nature and a level 20 Paladin is God's will made manifest. But what's a level 20 Bard? Or Investigator?

Superstar

Diva

a level 20 monk is Goku

> Level 20 Bard.

A lvl 20 investigator is batman

He's not dead, he's just ascended to a higher plane.

>Hercules
That's a literal demi-god.

By the time you hit 20 you have the same stats as one.

Orpheus was the level twentiest bard ever

> Not surpassing all of creation by level six.

It's like you faggots don't even Pun Pun the Kobold.

Halford
Lenny Killmister
Freddy Mercury
Any other dude who can gather a full stadium and 4 more stadiums worth of people standing outside

I made pun-pun a god in my setting. He slaps your shit when you try to pull stupid shit.

sauce on this comic? the art is rad and reverse search aint helping

I'm not sure if it's from an actual comic or if it just has the style of one, I got the file from a character art thread a while back

Must be a popular idea I heard it from a friend of a friends game and now I use punpun as the God of meta gameing and he smites you for non leathal damage when you pull shit.

fucking rad pic

Eddy Rigs

lvl 20 bard

AND HERE WE AAAAAAREEEE
WE'RE THE PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE
HERE WE BELONG
FIGHTING FOR SURVIVAL
WE'VE COME TO THE BE THE RULERS OF YOUR WOOOOOOOOORLD!

I AM IMMORTAL
I HAVE INSIDE ME BLOOD OF KINGS
I HAVE NO RIVAL
NO MAN CAN BE MY EQUAL

Tom Bombadil

Druid, quite linked to his realm.

A level 20 bard is incredibly skilled in a few specialized skills, as well as impressive at quite anything they try.
They can warp the world both by striking chords with the music of creation and overwriting it with their legendary prose and willpower.
They can inspire the greatest of strength in the lowliest of individuals, or propel fellow heroes to unparalleled feats.
For all of the glorification of idols of music and rock 'n' roll, none quite match up to the worldly and supernatural might of an epic bard.

druid/cleric multi class. he is heavily dependent on his domain of literally not giving a fuck, otherwise is powerless.

As for a level 20 investigator, consider Sherlock Holmes. He spots every detail, and uses them to compose information out of things others would totally miss. Scale this up to even more superhuman levels- his bare eyes spot a specific sort of pollen off an alchemical flower or familiar's hair caught on the coat of someone 5 yards away, which immediately clicks among their vast library of knowledge. A quick reference in a book (Which they know is the 8th one in the 3rd stack in the 6th drawer in the left cupboard in the tea room; they know their own organization system by heart despite it seeming random to the untrained eye) they cross reference it specifically, and recall everywhere in the city a match might be.
During this time, he's presumably attacked by some sort of enemy thug or hitman, which he easily dispatches by identifying the region of streets in which they learned their fighting style and summarily dodging, immediately notice the favored right leg due to a childhood injury, and use a pen he had on the desk to incapacitate him in a very calculated strike to a pressure point just beside the jugular. Good thing he used his other hand to grab his tea before the unconscious body knocked it over.

Michael Jackson or Elvis.

A level 20 bard can re-enact Macross even with culturally prepared opponents.

Nope, a lvl 20 vigilante is batman.

At what level did he start thinking that dressing like a bat was a good idea?

A trickster demigod

In which system?

No, gestalt everything level 20 is batman

A dead man, probably. Have you noticed that all the greatest musicians went out at the peak of their glory?

Michael jackson lasted a while and rolf harris is still about.

what about a level 20 warlock?

He replaces his patron

That's because we inhabit the Late Musicians universe.

David Bowie

either from Labyrinth or real life

A level 20 bard is the father to the next generation.

A musical bard is a celebrity, their compositions and songs known throughout their realm of influence even if they write under a pseudonym.

Or a fantastic seductror/ess.

Or a master of the magic of music, not as an art for performance, but as a path to power in the music of the cosmos itself.
For the sort I haven't seen in here yet, a bard at level 20 might never actually be seen, heard of, or known at all. They lie, they cheat, they steal, they sneak, and shape the future with little changes with enormous ramifications. A ruinous affair destroys a king and queen's love, and the kingdom within the years after. A relic goes missing and an empire falls. A young sorcerer is kidnapped, and an arch-lich founds a horrible legacy in the following decades.

Not the person who accomplishes amazing things; at least not by anyone else's reckoning, but they play a game on scales with dragons and demons, century-long competitions with mortal pawns and pieces.

But OP, there's something to consider here. Level 20 is not the end. It is the benchmark.

When a wizard is level 19, reaching 20th, they have mastered all that can be done within the context of the base class itself. A fighter can handle anything in the base-line bestiaries, wrestling dragons to the ground or slaying giants with a sword in hand and naught else. A rogue at 20th level can kill with a needle and breach any lock or wall. A 20th level Cleric has ascended, at least to their knowledge, to the highest position in their clergy, even if it is not officially recognized.

But then they reach level 21. It might be a Mythic rank, or a truely Epic ascension, but the change in what it means to be 20th level and 21st is the same as when you first look up to the stars and understand how many worlds there are out there; that there may well be objects travelling at near-light speed toward your world and there would be little you could ever hope to do about it.

Reaching level 20 is to be a legend among mortals and a child among the immortal cosmos that shaped your existence. You have finally reached so high as to find out exactly how small your universe is in comparison to the universe you didn't know.

A 20th level Fighter breaks sieges by his own might, skill and experience. A 21st level fighter understands why the siege must hold, for without that bastion fortified and in place next year the entire continent will be overrun when the vampiric progenitor awakens, and so strikes down a giant not as part of the battle, but to strike fear into the heart of every Soldier Sargent and Secretary General so that their people, on both sides, might have a chance to stand against the oncoming darkness.

To reach 20th level is to be a myth. To be 21st is to be the things on which myths are based, lost to the ages and the mists of time.

A 20th level bard would be known even outside there plane of existence
They would be asked to play when visiting ysgard

A lvl 20 bard essentially controls a realm's culture. He controls the political and cultural narratives, the way people think of themselves and others.

A lvl 20 fighter might be able to kill whoever he wants. But a lvl 20 bard decides what people are willing to die for.

Level 20 investigator is BBC Sherlock

Its from 4.0e Monster Manual. Skeleton, Infernal Skeleton (I am not sure of this), Fire Skeleton, and Decrepit Skeleton.

This. My 2nd level bard is already controlling a town by brainwashing and influencing people with bluff, diplomacy, and intimidation. The bard was even successful in deceiving the local NPC paladin to fall from grace and begin to follow the bard as an incarnation of the forgotten deity of peace, love, and beauty.

>Investigator 20
James Bond

>Bard 20
Dethklok

>James Bond
That seems a bit underpowered for a level 20.

Invincible super-spy killing machine who is a master of every skill from cybersecurity to downhill skiing? Sounds right to me.

>Invincible
Except when he gets defeated. How else does he keep ending up in all the death traps?
The current Bond didn't even pass the secret agent test.

How many times did he get beaten up by Jaws again? He's good at lots of things, but hardly invincible.

>cybersecurity

Has Bond ever actually been shown as being good at computers? As in, using his own skills rather than just inserting some Q-Branch Hack-O-Matic gadget.

But in the end, he always escapes and wins, no matter how high the odds are stacked against him. Just like a PC!

Use Magic (Plot) Device!

He's clearly a PC, but not a level 20 PC. More like around level 10 or low teens.

>Not becoming greater than creation at level one
What kind of unoptimized trash build are you using?

But he often survives based on luck and circumstance, not competence and skill.

Bond isn't particularly high-level, he just has a very lenient DM.

Isn't Luthor BBC Sherlock though?

Deathklok is clearly Scald 20

Capped

what is the best system for having bardic music actualy powerfull and not just aoe buffs?

I want musical magic to cause all those within earshot to be forced to boogie down. victims should be forced to dance and sing backup for certain parts of songs.

bardic songs should me more than just an mass AOE suggestion. Imagine doing a cover of thriller to litteraly summon a leigon of undead and turn people into ghouls and goblins.

There should also be lots of side-effects attached to bardic songs, basically casting lower teir spells automatically. fire spells for pyrotechnic displays and burning enimes. dancing lights for lazer shows. illusion magic to take the appearance of famous musicians from other worlds and times and provide other set peices for full blown AMVs in the middle of battles

the closest I can think of is the pied pier from the shrek movies. come to think of it they also kinda did the thriller thing

A single bard can mass suggestion a few dozen people, but if an entire band of bards join in it can turn an entire battlefield into a concert with both sides shaking their booties.

When he realized criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot.

>Moffat in a nutshel

>what is the best system for having bardic music actualy powerful
Heavy metal.

>But what's a level 20 Bard?
Freddie Mercury without HIV
David Bowie with real immortality

Now I want to reach level 22.

> this chick didn't yawn, therefore she's the killer
> I'll walk up to an armed murderer while all his shots miss somehow, then we play russian roulette and I'll win somehow

Not very smart, more of a blunderer that gets lucky. But I stopped watching after season 1 maybe it gets better.

I think Scheherazade stands out as an example of a legendary bard. "The Bard," William Shakespeare, would be another. One literally staved-off her own death with the power of her tales, the other still has his tales retold 400 years after his death.

>Could charm even rocks with his music
>Went to hell to get his beloved back
>"You can leave here with her, but you can't look back to see her until you get out of hell, start walking."
>He looks back out of paranoia she isn't there

He's an example why bard's shouldn't dump wis.

>David Bowie
>Freddie Mercury
>level 20 bard

ahahaha

howdy Reddit

There's an American Gods comic?

So he's the guy who whinges at the DM and the DM let's it fly because he's not going to pause the game to explain how lasers work, and then actually rolls well on all of his "let me try this *thing that shouldn't work, but is cool*?

Oh, please, tell us all about how superior your tastes are and how you only listen to true patrician music that we mere plebes cannot understand.

>Being a level 21 Fighter means having a brain.
Man, fighters never get the good stuff.

You're the one shitposting

Stealing this so hard.

No. It's fanart. The upcoming show looks decent, though.

charlie chaplin would be a 20 bard i guess

famous all over the world and his acts can sway the fate of nations, and dominate public opinion

What does that make Buster Keaton?

This guy knows what's up
That was somehow kind of inspiring, just happen to be playing a fighter.

The DM fiat character.

>A level 20 wizard is basically a demigod
>A level 20 bard _makes_ demigods.

user, have you ever been summoned for a Grail War?

Not that dude, but I'd agree that Mercury isn't a good example of a top-tier bard. When you think of a level 20 bard, that is an actor, musician, composer, et cetera that is so influential and has a technical mastery like none other that they're basically mythical in terms of skill.

Consider Robert Johnson, whose Delta Blues performances are often hailed as the beginning of the blues -- a man so good at his craft and so innovative that people remarked that he must've made a deal with the devil.

On a more technical mastery level, look at Charlie Christian or Django Reinhardt, with the latter's music bringing the rise of gypsy jazz and whose single-line soloing completely revamped a guitar's place in a band.

Buddy Holly, Link Ray, Eddie Cochran -- the people who Elvis built his legacy on top of -- those dudes are level 20 musicians. Bowie was interesting and influential, but nowhere near the level of other titans of music.

ohhhhh... Plot twist!? That's what the patron was aiming for all along?

He's the concept of cult of personality given a physical form.

I am DMing a campaign with a party that started ECL3 and is currently around 22, having gone from simple hack'n'slash one-shot, to boss-rush-loot-grab, to revenge quest, to civilization builder, to warring empires, and now to cloak and dagger shadowrun antics in space.

The one before that started at 30 and ran to 35. It's a very different game past 20

Eh, even at 20 it takes a bit more brain than brawn to solo an army. The difference wasn't supposed to be the thought process but rather the knowledge of things bigger than the wars being fought.

I can't believe no one considered the question as an example of an epic investigator, possibly more so than batman.

I'm pretty sure that /tv/ doesn't like it because tumblr and because it's popular and because it's an echo box but that explanation is quite good too !

Well I'm not sure, the thing with bards isn't that they're good musicians or actors or anything else, it's that they get others to love them. And we look at your list well maybe they changed music, but except for some of them they weren't that famous or only in small groups of people who knows what they talk about.
But when you look at Freddy Mercury and David Bowie, everybody knows them and most of those who know them love them ! People are crazy with them in a way that is just out of fucking reason you know ?

I assume it's a picture of "Orpheus" have you tried using that in conjunction with the picture?

Well if it have anything to do with Orpheus then some things changed since the last time I checked

Nice to meet you, Darth Bane.

And I'm pretty sure that any real human musician or actor would be a bad example for a level 20 anything because level 20s are supposed to be superhuman.
OP counted Hercules for the fighter, not Muhammad Ali or Bruce Lee.

A bard level 20 should have abilities beyond filling a few stadiums. He or she should be a strategic-level weapon.

>what's a level 20 Bard?

The poster reminds me of 6String Samurai.