Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern General

Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern General
This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

Still not sure about the decks list edition

Previous Thread
RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-05-14-birthday-gifts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pic related is the top 12 modern decks. This isn't weighted by importance of event, so the MTGO results make up the bulk of the data. Note that MTG Goldfish is really bad at categorizing dredge and it's actually at 7.5%.

I realize I forgot to put MTG Modern General in the subject, apologies

>sperg out about the tier list
>forget the most important part of the OP
noice

If that's the only thing wrong with the OP, you did an OK job OP. This is what should be copy pasted for a week or two

Reminder that tiers are usage based, and the data is accrued over a large amount of games and locales. Certain decks may be more powerful depending on the local meta

Will you stop posting MTGGoldfish statistics?

It should be obvious from the image itself that those percentages have no basis in reality.

That's the first time I've ever posted them

Better MTG gold fish then some dumbass "mythic tier" list some random user typed up.

>It should be obvious from the image itself that those percentages have no basis in reality.

What the fuck are you talking about?

>instead of developing thread culture, let's just use some bad statistics that no one cares about

The highest number of decks of any single archetype listed is 56.

If you can't possibly imagine how that doesn't even remotely qualify as even a glimpse of the metagame then I can't help you.

How many decks would you say is a reasonable number, between the entire sample size?

I would rather focus on time frame than sample size.

Including MTGO Dailies immediately following abnormal tournament results where a handful of people go to test the deck is laughable when it's being titled as a "tier list."

>Meta game tier list
>Percentages no on cares about

Maybe if you're a scrub who insists on taking their homebrew Mardu tokens deck in. Other people use those numbers to figure out what decks are strong in the meta. Like say jund or junk is starting to tick up a couple of percentages, you'll want to bring in Tron to prey on midrange. If burn is starting to climb back up, you'll want to bring Fink's in the sideboard. Or if dredge gets another big boost from Aether revolt, time to main board even more grave hate. Just because you have no idea how to read the meta game, doesn't mean others can't.

>Thread culture
You mean the straight copied from the legacy thread head canon deck list. Shit that thing wasn't even close to being accurate. Like it was some retard just trying to make it seems like he knows what he's talking about by listing decks, sometimes even multiple times in the same OP.

There's no dailies for one, it's leagues. It only counts decks that go 5-0 in leagues, so just trying out decks doesn't contribute to the statistics. Currently 16 SSG IQs also make up a large chunk of the data, only counting the top 8 decks from each. It's a rolling data set though, so often it is mostly MTGO data.

Yeah you better start packing that Sideboard tech for the latest tier 1 deck, W/R Prison.

yeah, it's not like every deck is running enough basics to play around blood moon or anything

MTGgoldfish statistics are crap, if you wanted a good official tier list you would just use MTGtop8 or even ModernNexus.

The point of having a homebrew tier list is that it gives the thread something to discuss and work on.

I already run 3 nature's claim in the side. Also if you think that 2% is considered tier 1 then no wonder you bitxh about tier lists

No it wasn't. The point of the home brew list was someone was too stupid or too lazy to look up the actual tier lists.

as an aside I agree that MTG top 8 should be the go to web site for tiers. But a step at a time. Don't want "ban blood moon/lightning bolt edition" to become the standard

If you go to a tournament with no knowledge of what Sun and Moon is and does you're going to be at a disadvantage. People are playing it, you should be ready to play around it.

Tom's back on the rise boys! You ready to accept Karn's massive throbbing cmc into your gaping midrange boipussy?

>all these fast decks can't even keep tron out
good for nothing aggro players

What's even weirder is that I've been playing Gx tron since oath. Figured path was better then pyroclastic and started playing. But since I'm a beta cuck dependant on the proa telling me what to do, I was still main boarding 'clasms. It's kinda vindicating knowing that I made the right decision months ago. Also warping wail for the t3 Ugin/ eating elves/sorceries

>ad nauseam player for about 2 years
>have good matchups and not so good matchups
>never had unbeatable matchups
>play against this guy running red blue kiln fiend deck
>get absolutely decimated

wtf happened there, this was worse than infect.

Welcome to the culmination of nerfing permission spells for over a decade.

>Competitive Modern
>Posts Karn
lmao

>He hasn't played against R/G trong before

>Spend 3 turns doing fuck-all
>Maybe play a shitty planeswalker that could (maybe) kill a single permanent assuming there's no spell pierce or protection card
>This is supposed to be impressive

>This faggot is actually surprised that a format with no real answers gradually gets faster and faster as people find new ways to interact with their opponent even less
You had it coming, combocuck.

Is it viable in a meta full of control and jund players?

No, play martyr proc

>proc
PROC STANDS FOR PROGRAMMED RANDOM OCCURANCE THERE IS NOTHING IN MAGIC THAT AUTOMATICALLY TRIGGERS BASED OFF A PERCENTAGE BASED CHANCE RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's short for process

NO YOU AUTISTIC FUCK IT IS NOT

Abbreviations can have different terms depending on context. This is a gaming context, not a programming context.

>mfw

>Already bought the Archangel of Thunes and Auriok Champions

Fuck I didn't even know Marty Proc was a thing. Seems way better than the cheesy weenie white life gain. Thanks user

It's short for Proclamation

YOU THINK VIDEO GAMES AREN'T GAMES?

It was pretty good in this meta until tron started appearing again

I"ve play tested the Soul Sisters deck against some of the meta decks at my lgs and it performs great against the one burn deck in the meta then gets shit on by every control deck.

Luckily no tron in my meta and only one guy plays infect. As of late it's straight up jund or some variation of UWx Control.

You mean in a rule system where only creature power creep is allowed.

>control
Are you implying Tron is control and not an explicit combo deck? It literally uses a combination of cards to get a big payoff that its opponents can't overcome.

what the fuck are you talking about all I said was that there isn't tron in my meta.

Well there's nothing in Modern that resembles control apart from the Nahiri decks that people don't play anymore after swearing they were the best decks in Modern, and people normally refer to Tron as control because they don't know what they're talking about.

Martyr Proc is great against control, most just can't answer the value Proclamation gives. I run 3 O-Ring main to deal with nahiri and other planeswalkers while being semi-useful in other match ups, but Celestial Purge in the sideboard is also an option and better against jund than oring.

It'll be interesting to see if this has any effect on Modern. Voidslime doesn't see play because UGx control is a no-no.

>The point of having a homebrew tier list is that it gives the thread something to discuss and work on.
There are no space for homebrews in modern general.
Nor for mardu or esper

>Tron is a combo deck
Holy fuck when will THIS meme die?

what happend to grixis?

2 hard 2 play

I have been playing a sweet grixis control deck... in frontier

Lmao no

>No CoCo
Shit deck

Will the three mana be worth for a counterspell/stifle card? what are some good stifle objectives in modern?

Yeah CoCo is probably better overall, but gearhulk + dig is pretty fun

Tron is control, retard.

Planeswalker ults.
Emrakul's Annihilator for style points, I guess. I think I'd just counter Nahiri's ult, though.
Chalice of the Void trigger if you really, really, really need it.
Cascade? I think it'd be smarter to just counter what they get with the Cascade.
I'm reaching at this point.

Of course it won't have an effect on modern. The decks that can and want to have UU on T3 are all sub par decks that won't suddenly become amazing with this card. Not to mention that there really are no stifle targets in modern except for PW's and lands

This guy at my LGS uses a playset of fetchlands in his mono-red goblin deck. Can anyone tell me why?

He thinks thinning will help him

he's into masochism.
i bet he gets a boner every time he sees his life total go down

Now now, if we're going to bring up this ancient argument again, you might as well bring up all of it.

He thinks the thinning helps, and it does, but not significantly enough to offset the life loss. The gains are minuscule and you're giving up 5% of your ability to stay in the game every time you do it.

Has anyone tried Dynavolt tower in a control deck? It seems like there's some potential considering how many cheap and efficient spells exist in the format
Something like a RW tower list could be interesting and might work if you pack blood moons as well

Even as a mono red goblin player? I'm not to sure, but these decks don't care that much about their own life points, right? If they don't get their opponent down to 0 in X turns, they're screwed anyway.

What would you take out of sun and moon to make your tower thing work. And how would that be better than the current sun and moon.

>sun and moon
>doesn't even play wheel of sun and moon

>Sun and Moon

Can someone clarify this for me

Are you talking about blood moon and some other shit (Elspeth, suns champion perhaps) or literally Wheel of Sun and Moon?

Chalice and aoe stuff mostly to run bolts/paths/phyrexian mana stuff
How is it better? more spot removal I guess, probably just a worse deck though

It's basically BloodMoon.dec but splashing white for Nahiri. The Sun and Moon name is a meme because those Pokemon games just came out.

You don't go 5-0 just by having the stronger deck, you need to be lucky too. Have a favorable matchup, play a dumb opponent, avoid mana screw, opponent gets mana screwed, something.

Spoken like a true scrub.

My fellow kind players, I need your help. How good is the new Chandra? I'm thinking about running it as a one of, but not really sure what it's purpose is in the deck. Is 1 enough or should I bump it up to 2? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jund players*
Fucking autocorrect.

Which deck?

Jund.

Some people have been trying her out as kind of card advantage/reach. Honestly she might be better than Outpost Siege but RR is not a free cost in the deck. Personally I think she might be a bit too expensive for what she does because there's no guarantee you can even get value the turn she comes down due to no X/4s on opponent's side or having either of her +'s do nothing. Then again the same could be said of Outpost Siege but at least that is much harder to remove.

Post your expensive decks for us poor cockatrice boys to oogle

Any recommendations?

What's the best 3 mana counterspell in modern?

3 mana? Maybe that new one in revolt, 3 mana counters arent that great in modern.

A better keyboard.

It was free, but don't love it. What do you rec?

Corsair K70.

Inflictor CK104

C H I N K C O R E

>playing Mono Red Burn at modern night
>first match is against G/R Tron
>AnimeGirlsLaughing.gif

>White bordered bolts
10/10 taste

Currently it's Dissolve, but that new Voidslime probably has it beat. l look forward to playing a singleton in Esper Control instead of a Negate or the third Logic Knot.

best tron land set?

Ok, kind of what I thought. I like the idea of a singleton catch all, no questions asked, counter.

use all different versions of the art to throw your opponent off and make it hard for them to know if you have tron or not

Playset of one each of different art for the original tron lands.

I wish gifts hadn't completely disappeared

There's no reason why you still can't play it. An Elesh Norn or Iona will still utterly dominate a fair number of the decks in the metagame. When it comes to playing two 4-mana spells in a row it's just that everything cheaper than that has to utterly wreck creatures.

It doesn't have to. I'm playing jeskai ascendancy gifts and it's hilarious and competitive

Yo lemme see that list big boy.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-05-14-birthday-gifts/
This is what I've got. It's probably needing an update.

what the fuck does trample do

Any good articles on cheating?