/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread Have you ever chosen an aquatic animal for your beast companion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YAHExJE53gs
youtube.com/watch?v=6I_ESNuLwGA
youtube.com/watch?v=u5Ov_FEcXJ8
drive.google.com/file/d/0B19uU8nZ0XVVV1RCeHVrS0pFbFE/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Might a GOOlock have a pact with a beholder? They're from the far realm, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=YAHExJE53gs
youtube.com/watch?v=6I_ESNuLwGA
youtube.com/watch?v=u5Ov_FEcXJ8
In order to wrap around something properly, you NEED to crack it.
Apparently it doesn't even hurt, based off that last video.

What are some good lesser minions, greater minions, and pets for a cabal of Alhoon?

Reposting from end of last thread
Trying to make a cursed item from a bone collective (tome of beasts), I'm thinking of the cloak with either cast raise dead 1 per day or summon two skeletons from thin air once per day. What downside could I give this item? Not particularly looking to fuck my players over just want some sort of neat downside to using things taken from evil sources. Double points if it's a downside that, with clever use could be an upside/negated

While worn, you take on the appearance of a skeleton, you have to unattune and have it off for 24 hours to return to normal.

It requires blood sacrifice.

It doesn't have to be their blood though, they could stab a guy and then spawn skeletons.

DMing Curse of Strahd, let one of my players play a revenant paladin. He's cosplaying Dark Souls really, really hard, complete with calling his character the Chosen Undead.
He died in the very second combat, and is now back in a woman's body. I think I'll try to kill him as much as possible, as a joke.

I was thinking more along the lines of a cursed item that can't be taken off, though I like this. Skeletal face, disadvantage on persuasion, possibly advantage on intimidation if used right?
Ngl I don't want my neutral party to go full murder hobo evil necromancers, so I'll probably go with summon 2 skeletons for 1 minute once a day or something

Remember to apply some indefinite madnesses for dying in Barovia.

That is some way to start a new thread, OP.

So we, as players, know that the success of our characters depends a lot on luck (d20) but how much lucks affects a character's action?

I'm asking because for the last 4 sessions I've been almost every hit (even though I have the same bonus as the other PCs) and getting hit almost everytime, I've been falling unconcious in every combat encounter ever, etc.

I know this is a bad luck streak, but what's the deal for my PC? is he inept? should I RP him as the useless comic relief?

What's your level? I remember that during the first four, my character was in the state of dying nearly all the time, with the paladin bringing him back with 1 HP with lay on hands, and the goblins dropping me back to zeroes and trying to finish me off while I'm defenseless.
It was known as "corpse tanking".

5th level

Well, to be exact we started at 3rd level, and this bad luck streak started as I reached 4th level till we reached 5th level (current level).

Why would a Far Realm entity drag people into a demiplane?
This is for a campaign that might go all the way up to 20th level.

For some sweet, Far Realm lovin'

How about giving the clock some sentience? Sort of like Dr Strange's cloak. If your party does anything benevolent it tries to hamper them, tripping them as they try to run and save innocents etc. Flipwise if they do things that the cloak likes then it's extra helpful. Gives them an AC boost as it flies up to block attacks.

To show them such sights they'd see.

Can sorcerer ignore Charisma and just Booming Blade?

*cloak. Typing on mobile is a pain.

You can, you shouldn't though.

Have it occasionally summon hostile skeletons at inappropriate times.

When life gives you lemons, reroll

What does BoomBlade Sorc lack, and can multiclass dipping fix that lack?

Sorcerer doesn't do as well in melee, generally. If you're going to BB everywhere there's better ways to do it. At least do some multiclassing.

I actually die in 5e a lot. Mainly due to Coup-de-Grace because I'm sure my DM hates me, sometimes because of my own stupidity.
What do I play so I don't die?

I'm making my first warlock. I'd like to be good alignment, fiend, blade pact.

Can anybody suggest some story/lore ways to explain this? I don't know anything about warlock RPing or fiends.

bear barbarian, take the tough feat

my barb could literally, actually, be dropped from orbit and still walk away

all of my comrades have died but me

Anyone know some published adventures (any edition) that have to do with the "city on top of a dungeon" and/or "archeological gold rush" tropes?

I only wade into melee as a sorcerer when I add two levels of paladin and advance as a favored soul for extra attack smiting. Note this isn't a BB build, but quickening that has a similar effect... as long as you can keep up the costs.

i forget, how does one get pushing attack?

Fiend patrons are nearly always the "Make a deal for your soul" contractors. There's quite a few examples in literature where the protagonist makes a deal with the devil to do good, however at what price.
You get to do good, but your Patron now has a favor to call in, maybe keeping loved ones as collateral.
Or perhaps you did the deal, and your Patron is entirely absent, content to wait for your demise.

Your DM shouldn't be attacking downed characters so much, unless somebody in the party keeps reviving them, and then you shouldn't be attacked if you petend to be dying after being healed.

It's just dickish unless the monsters know that they have to do it to prevent the character from just getting back up again.

If you're at range, it takes three attacks at neither advantage nor disadvantage to kill you rather than in 5ft taking only two with advantage.

If you want to be tanky, go barbarianrogue, barbarian or moon druid. Failing that, paladin or fighter with a level of barbarian or hill dwarf abjuration wizard with a level of fighter.

Cleric is also good, or having a cleric on the team who can cast revivify.

If you're going to mulitclass, I'd rather not bother with favoured soul and instead get extra attack from paladin, alongside aura of protection before levelling up sorcerer.

But, eh, I guess I just like aura of protection over the spell progression there and the point of the original build was to be as much of a sorcerer as possible while dishing out damage, which smites were facilitating.

And, as has been said, you can if you go favoured soul sorcerer. You'll still have low health and I'd say it'd seem suboptimal, but it's better than bladelock so go ahead.

Oh, I guess I missed the original 'dump chairsma' thing, which wouldn't work with aura of protection.

Thing is, fire dragon + a level of undying light warlock to buff up GFB seems like it might be preferrable if you're going to get levels of paladin for armour anyway.

Yeah that notion was a red mage concept, so I wanted it caster heavy. If I already put five levels into paladin I really can't imagining just keeping at it.

My idea for a red mage included five levels of Arcana Cleric and five levels of Battlemaster Fighter. Didn't think beyond level ten.

why not just get the feat that grants you a maneuver and call it a day?

>Why would a Far Realm entity __________
You're already going about this the wrong way if you have to ask this question.

It literally doesn't matter. Their machinations are beyond comprehension; the characters' AND yours. The Far Realm is an excuse to do WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT, and it's honestly better if it's never explained--because it CAN'T be explained.

Fighter level 3, take the Battlemaster archetype and pick Pushing Attack as one of your maneuvers.

>leveling up every couple of sessions
>playing a publishing campaign
>multiclassing
>custom race/classes

there are people in this thread right now that think these things are fun

Because I think Red Mages should be fairly good at hitting things, and you don't get better than that than a Fighter. It's just I think, of the Fighter options, Battlemaster would be the most appropriate.

Yeah, what the fuck enemies are you fighting that are so spiteful they'd rather omega-kill a character than continue to beat back the guys who are actively still a threat?

It'd have to be an extremely intelligent creature with more loyalty to a group than self-preservation (who has been harmed by your party repeatedly) who realizes, "Well, we're all well and truly fucked and are going to lose this fight, but instead of running away and attempting to save my skin, I'm going to make sure this guy never gets up again." Your standard bandits, soldiers, and especially monstrous races or beasts just aren't going to do this.

"Kick 'em while they're down" is the behavior of the BBEG's lieutenants or something.

I do all but the last one. Homebrew can fuck off.

>leveling up every couple of sessions
>playing a publishing campaign
>multiclassing
Gonna be doing all of these tonight and I guarantee I'm having more fun than you especially given that you probably don't even have a game

Monk's Arcana is out tomorrow, and we'll get at least two of his subclasses. What can we expect? Honestly, I have no idea. With fighter, there are a lot of possible options, but to me monk already has pretty much everything there is to imagine.
What about paladin? What sort of new oaths can he get?

lol im doing ALL of these!

especially the last one
:3

FEY MONK
UNDEAD MONK

There already is an undead monk.

So you get the extra attack, a couple more maneuvers and.... thats it? May as well play as an elf to pick up the gish cantrips to make your regular attack a little better and keep your casting progression instead of having that second attack.

magicy monk that's partially overlapping with the wot4e but actually miles better
evil poison monk
teleporting DBZ monk

>magicy monk that's partially overlapping with the wot4e but actually miles better
You mean, like sun soul?

That kinda works. Part of the appeal of my build was in grabbing life domain as a favored soul along with evocations and abusing twin and quicken for that x-magic feel.

Just don't give it any mechanical advantage. It's just a damn good axe. Maybe have it made of something that's stronger then steel and holds an edge better.

Instead, have NPCs occasionally recognize it as "Bad Guy's Axe, holy shit that means they actually killed him, better run away/not mess with them/thank them for getting rid of him".

Sun soul can't fly, and is fire themed.

>poison monk
Dear lord how infernal is your hatred of monks?

we actually tell stories at my games rather than trying to kill as many make believe enemies we can, loser. if you want to just kill shit go play a video game. also playing a published campaign and not using your own setting proves youre an unimaginative cunt

Shitty monk
Even more shitty monk

They all will have awesome fluff and lore to trick players though, like with any monk so far, they made a mistake with wot4e making it obviously shit though, but they improved the cover up in subsequential subclasses

Did a quick little update on my homebrew to clear up some confusion regarding the arcanum abilities.

Getting some feedback that the 10th level ability on the archetypes might be too powerful. I'm not sure if I agree. Dodging as a reaction seems fine at that level, as is basically a better bestow curse. Thoughts?

drive.google.com/file/d/0B19uU8nZ0XVVV1RCeHVrS0pFbFE/view?usp=sharing

>a story about adventurers
>not killing a whole lot of shit

that'd probably make sense, considering that a fey lock can make a pact with a hag

Speaking of published adventures. What's the best official adventure published for 5e, in your opinion?

Curse of Strahd.

idk... out of the abyss is pretty good too..

Hoard of the Dragon Queen, is the most balanced, you can start as a weak character without problems and still have a blast.

Should there be more half caster classes (like Paladin or Ranger)?

Shadow Sorc seems like it'd be a damn good 1 level dip for a Shadow Monk/Rogue.

forgot the UA

There's a perfectly fine number of classes right now. Rather, I'd rather see each class diversify and balance out.

Martials need better utility.

All characters could do with more options, like invocations or battlemaster manoeuvres but without as many sucky options.

... And some classes need to be brought up to speed, such as sorcerer needs to suck a bit less without multiclass and barbarian's later levels need to suck less without multiclass.

Shadow sorc is ok, but is too good if you multiclass from a barb, paladin or any melee char with Con save.

>gee, shadow sorcerer looks like it'd be a good 1 level dip for ANYONE
A wild slowpoke has appeared!

I didn't actually know it was even a released UA until just now when I decided to see if there was any official Paladin stuff. I just assumed /5eg/ was babbling about some shitty shadow sorc Homebrew with how everyone was bitching.

At 11th level everymonk can spend 1 ki to add 1d6 damage to every melee attack done with unarmed or monk weapons for 1 minute. Yes or no?

Why would you ever take just one level of shadow sorcerer? You can't cast the darkness without the sorcery points you get at level 2.

Honestly it might as well be shitty homebrew.
>edge, check
>completely unbalanced for multiclass, check
>steal gimmicks (devil's sight + darkness from warlock and half-orc/barbarian's stand up again, modified), check
>unbalanced, check
>a feature that has an intended purpose (summon hound) that is actually better for something different (summon as bonus action, use action to cast a save spell on hound's target), check
>capstone feature is overpowered, check
>not understanding resource values and giving darkness as a 1 sorcerery point spell, check

Only thing missing is misunderstanding 5e's format.

Free "you don't die" saves and Darkvision if you lack it, plus the cantrips 'n shit of a normal level 1 sorc.

is not unbalanced by itself though, it has big problems due multiclass. I good fix is move the 1st level feature to a later level that makes multiclass a bigger investment that most people will reject.

Oh, don't forget
>not putting in any non-combat focused abilities
Check.

whats up with edge being a cardinal sin?

It's unbalanced with regards to normal sorcerer.

Too tanky, they get a much improved version of heightened spell (3 sorcery points to use heightened spell? I'm just going to use those points to summon a HOUND that doesn't use concentration and will run around biting and proning the target and gauranteeing further disadvantage on saving throws, all for the same cost! .. And then I can also use metamagic on the save spell, such as twinned spell.). They then get one of shadow monk's main features (but slightly different), except its range is DOUBLED.
And then, their capstone feature is essentially BEAR barbarian's rage for a minute for 3 sorcerery points WITHOUT concentration, AND lets them move through objects.

When you consider that giving shadow sorcerer resistance to everything halves the damage and thus halves the added DC to their level 1 feature, it's even more ridiculous.
All they need is diadvantage to give enemies a 1/400 crit chance and enemies generally don't use radiant.

It's not bad in the right dosages, but it's a red flag.

A pile of shit that isn't underpowered or overpowered is still a pile of shit.

Why would you ever be a multiclassing munchkin autist, anyway?

This reminds me, how much is heightened spell "worth" when you apply it to a damaging spell? I guess it varies by spell level and relative accuracy? I'm just wondering what the average numbers look like.

Are any of the SCAG archetypes good? I mean on par or better than PHB ones, not just viable

Are you kidding? The bladesinger is the best class in the game

Arcana cleric, Sun soul monk, Crown paladin and Storm sorcerers are all pretty good.

Sun soul, probably. Swashbuckler is good too, I think?

Arcana cleric doesn't have great features but wizard spells can be very good

I guess it's dependent on target and their save, as you'd expect.

I'd say it's kind of a big deal if you're trying to hit an important enemy with a save-or-die spell, however.

But, disadvantage hound applies not only to one spell's first save, but all spells on all saves. Contagion would have disadvantage on every single save throw and be really trying to fuck up the enemy's legendary resistances.

Could probably do calculations if you want to do is based on fireball.

>best class
Eh, I wouldn't say that. It's certainly up there if you want a wizard that doesn't hide away the entire time, though, and it's certainly top-tier.

Sun Soul monk is good. Better than 4elements, probably as good as shadow.

Bladesinger is really good, but you don't do much blading, it just gives you good AC and the option to hit stuff when it's useful. (In a silence spell, or an anti-magic zone, say)

Storm Sorcerer, Swashbuckler, Crown pally are all good.

Arcana cleric is my favourite, but I really love clerics. It's probably just "good" but I like being able to nick some wizard spells.

The games I am playing in currently are AL games so they have to be the pop published campaign books, but just because you use the book does not mean you lack creativity. My DM's are really good at bringing both the world and it's characters to life in a unique way.

Also, the groups I'm playing in have leveled up fairly frequently as of late, but that's because one group is fighting giants and small armies of orcs and goblins, and the other is fighting demon lords. There is a lot of experience to be had.

If it was a bard archetype maybe.

You fool! It will only make him stronger.

If I make a paladin who only wields a one handed weapon and no shield how badly am I crippling myself?

Also on a related tangent, on a cursory glance over Feats and stuff it seems like PoleArm Master is the ideal way to go for an offensive Paladin. Is this true?

Apologies for newfag questions, never played 5e beyond a few dicking around sessions to get a handle of the basic rules.

2 ac.

Yeah but is that 2 AC going to be a difference between being a face tank and being a punching bag?

Might as well have two one-handed light weapons for more chance to smite on 20s, no?

A better rendition of the Wo4E is all I want.

I would but I've already got a theme I'm going for.
I'll probably just use something like a Greatsword and ask the DM to just say its a normal size sword, still using two hands to swing it.