EDH/Commander General

Spikeshit edition

Previous thread:

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Thread questions:

>Best color combination for Commander?

>Best and worst combos?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shitty-edh-deck-donut-steel/
mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Curse
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bumping so thread doesn't die before the commander-fags wake up.

I got Mizzix spells and Xenagod Ramp, what deck should I get next?
Meren?

Meren was my first edh deck. Tons of fun but shit like bojuka bog and tormod's crypt will make you wanna off yourself right there at the table.

But if you like decks that are built around the commander and interact a lot with the graveyard you'll prolly like Meren. Also spore frog.

One of the reasons I want to build Meren is becaues I also got a NewKalitas lying around and he could pretty fun together with sac-outlets and pic related

Does sound like some spicy tech. You could also go the "control" route and just make tokens and sac them while having Grave Pact affects out. No one gets creatures.

>NewKalitas

i'd like to use him for my funny casual budget zombo tribal but rrreee why does he have to be 20 bucks

Good in Standard, Good in modern, good in Commander.

Too good

And little less than a year until it rotates, so he's not going down anytime soon

can't they just errata lightning bolt to do 4 damage so he can't be played in modern FUCK

I'm thinking of building Esper discard, but can't decide in between Tripletits and Espertai. I have a foil Hatching Plans, but that's about it when it comes to Ertai. Triplets seem to synergize better anyway with the overall gameplan in my opinion, but I really can't decide. One of friends is building Ertai as well so that knocks my ecitement down a few knots anyway.

I feel like I have too many swords on the anvil anyway, since I'm brewing GG, Kraj, aforementioned Esper, Yidris and thinking of Shatter Mario Bros stax as well, but that I haven't even started.

GG, Kraj and Yidris are nigh finished, with cannibalizing T&L for Yidris for the better stuff such as Time Spiral, but otherwise missing a few cards for Kraj and GG I need to get but cannot be bothered and I don't even have time to play, let alone pick cards up from LGS before Christmas is over.

tl;dr brewing too much and can't decide what to do with unfinished decks and ideas.
What do?

It's like that with a lot of cards. Why is old Avacyn 18€? Why is elesh norn 18€? Why the fuck is the sheoldred with the good art 10 - 15€?

>Tons of fun but shit like bojuka bog and tormod's crypt will make you wanna off yourself right there at the table.

You do not know the hell of not drawing artifact removal and getting locked by nihil spellbomb + salvaging station.

>Why is old Avacyn 18€?
Good EDH mythic and angel.
>Why is elesh norn 18€?
Actually played in other formats.
>Why the fuck is the sheoldred with the good art 10 - 15€?
Good EDH mythic

Of all things, what baffles me is why for living fuck is Vigor's price so high. It's not played in any format, rarely even in EDH

sheoldred is actually pretty shit imo. she's not that great at reanimating, she's not that great at controlling and she definitely isn't that great at beating face. i think people who buy her are mostly collectors or something since she is one of the praetors

/r/equesting the most middle-tier commanders there are.
no, she is really good in a slower non-spike meta
she buttfucks decks that go tall and can bring back dumb etb fucks

I can agree with her not being great at reanimating, mostly because she hardly ever survives one rotation of turns.

But there's an argument for her swampwalk ability and Urborg.

I ran her for awhile in my Meren deck and sometimes she was a game winner and other times she got Bribery'd out of my deck and I wanted to kms for even putting her in there.

>most middle-tier commanders there are.

From my experience Noyan was okay at best. Slow start but if you have shit like terra eternal it can stabilize.

>>no, she is really good in a slower non-spike meta

i don't think i've ever had her survive a whole turn. how casual is your meta that 3 players don't have 1 creature removal spell between them?

even if she does survive a full turn, all she does is bring back 1 creature, which isn't necessarily gamebreaking either way. the sac effect is okay but why wouldn't you just cast fleshbag marauder or innocent blood or something

I ran Meren for a while before I turned it into Sidisi self mill, but I always wondered; Is there a way to give your graveyard hexproof or make it so your opponent cant exile it/force you to shuffle it in?

He's alright in modern, but once he's rotated out of standard he'll probably drop down to around $8-$9.

all you need to do is give yourself hexproof i think.

Bojuka Bog enters the battlefield tapped.
When Bojuka Bog enters the battlefield, exile all cards from target player's graveyard.

or just cast twilight's call in response, or something

Orbs of Warding or Witchbane orb since every other card that gives you hexproof is in white.

Small print run. High demand in other geographic regions. He's awesome in desks built around Earthquake effects

If you're playing proper 4-man no one is going to want to wrath just sheoldred.
Alternatively she sits for 2 turns and the third guy kills it, a 3for1.
I would play her in a non-competitive black deck just because sometimes she wins on her own, and is enough value otherwise

Hypothetically, if one Innocent Blood is good, wouldn't infinite Innocent Bloods be infinitely good?
But yeah Fleshbag Marauder is just easier to loop, and better.

>infinite Innocent Bloods
by that logic, vithian slinger is infinitely better than lightning bolt because vithian slinger can deal INFINITE damage

sheoldred is just too much group sluggy bullshit in one card. she's going to get removed very quickly, and no matter how much you "trade" 3 to 1 or whatever, that won't really put you ahead. you'll be down a 7 mana creature and they'll be down a mana dork or two, not to mention the fact that the 4th player will be unaffected and you just kingmade him a little bit

What are some good suggestions for this commander? Already added Daddy Zurgo, Anya, Merciless Angel, Diabolic Tutor, Athreos, God of Passage, and Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper

Just made my first EDH deck (Oloro lifegain), I was wondering if you guys had any advise for me, things to sub out etc.
Ignore the manabase, still figuring that out.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shitty-edh-deck-donut-steel/

>first EDH
>chooses Oloro

kill yourself

Needs Disenchant and Serra Ascendant.

There's no need to be upset.

What should I take out to put them in? Any sub-optimal choices I made in the deck?

Use Tana + Ravios

Is there a discord for here that is either official or unofficial? Feel like there should be one of there isn't, lets us shit on eachothers deck ideas and get feedback a lot faster.

Not a big fan of the partner mechanic. Plus, Saskia plus Burning Anger is just halal

i was thinking of creating one but having been a part of a couple of Veeky Forums offshoot communities, they dont always work out so well, and the non-anonymity could leak to over here as well

A bit too many high cost cards. Even with the ramp, chances are you're not gonna do much with it. Something like Drana's Emissary is simple, rather cheap, yet very effective in decks like yours. Other such creatures are Nyx-Fleece Ram and Lone Rider

Thought the same recently, searching around public servers didn't give any results.
So far my experience with Veeky Forums servers isn't that bad. So long as you keep track of everyone's mentality. It just doesn't work if nothing develops.

I also thought of creating one, but I'm not sure if I could pay it enough attention. I'm also still a novice at magic.

im pretty obsessed with edh so i could try making one once i get home. i wont bother shilling it more than once or twice if people dont show interest

Don't listen to him. Partner is shitty, and Ravos/Tana is more for tokens not fatties.
Iona, Tooth and Nail, Urabrask, Shamanic Revelation, Read the Bones. Gratuitous Violence.

I might sub out 2 of my bigger threats for the emmissary and lone rider.

Any cases of cards that just don't seem good or effective, or is the rest of the deck passable?

It's not shitty, you just have to take a good combo, not Tana.

A dude in my group runs Bruse Tarl&Thrasios, which works quite well. It's very flexible and stomps you in a few turns with Bruse or can help get your key cards with Thrasios, ending in a Kiki-jiki combo.

Revelation came in the deck, fantastic card. Also not a dick enough to run Iona, not even in my Odric's Angels tribal

Drogskol Reaver seems to big and clunky considering he just gives you a bit card draw.
Serra Avatar seems like a win more card. It only really serves it's purpose if you're in the lead and your opponent's field is empty. So I guess you can take it out for now.

Then of course play test.

Probably Zur and Noxious Gearhulk.

I get what you're going for with the gearhulk but that's a one time deal and Serra Ascendant is fucking your opponents in the mouth and gaining you 6 life on turn 2.

Zur just seems kinda outta place. Your enchantments aren't that important that you need to bring them out with Zur.

just my opinion though.

I used to borrow a edh decks in my playgroup before I started making this one, and my playgroup tends to use a lot of creatures that grow really large.

I think taking out serra avatar and drogskol reaver is probably a good choice though, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Can she be viable on her own with no partner?

I want to believe, but the 2/2 body seems underwhelming.

Do you think I shoukd aub out Zur for disenchant, or would vindicate or utter end be fine too, since they're more flexible?

Anyone of them will do really.

My playgroup is dying, what do I do to undo this shit, Everyone is starting to just play the same deck and anyone not is degenerate.

It could be worse. Your group could die the death of your friends like your now-ex around more than you

>he thinks having the most life means you're in the lead

Let's see them. Currently testing out new Sen Triplets version, Rashmi, and Gay Kings today.

It does when you're using a deck meant to gain a metric fuckload of life.

He doesn't know of Sorin, 10 lifer

If you really wanted to run her on her own you could I guess. Voltron/tokens maybe? She's kind of the wrong colors to do Voltron well, though.

If I were to run her, I'd pair her with Ravos, probably. Tokens and cheap generic anthems. Still, 4c feels cluttered. I'd just run one of the other token commanders.

>Literally what is Commander damage

The point of lifegain decks is to use your life as a resource. Serra's Avatar is at least doing something with that life.

is there a better feeling than having your cards arrive in the mail?

I'm looking at all the R/G Auras I can throw on her rn. Pretty much totem armor the fuck out of her and make a lot of saporlings is what I'm looking at rn.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And if that's what you want, go for it. But I just see it and say "But why not Uril?"

Do you, though.

totem armor seems like a stupid meme, I have a friend who just built Uril and he's going to have a bad time because everyone around here runs mass exile or "targeted" exile or bounces.

As the resident Uril player here, you'd think that's the case, but unless you can tutor up your removal on demand, you're in for a bad time.

>it's not 100% perfect in every situation
>lol is maymay

Yeah, these memes like hexproof and indescribable have got to go.

t. Control Player with an answer for everything in his magic Christmas hand

I guess it's different at your tables but every time I see people play voltron decks, or go tall they get focused down pretty hard.

My local meta all runs board wipes and removal for days.

>Playing Uril
>Not running Pyroblast, REB, and/or Guttural Response

They done it to themselves, they did

I know, you live in magical christmasland, and Uril draws the most aggro of any deck I've played.

But that being said, how do you plan on killing him? Go on, I'm interested. One thing in particular works amazing, but everything else is janky nonsense.

Why don't Americans have something like MCM? You play ridiculous prices for your cards.

>what is aligned hedron network
>what is merciless eviction
>what is descend upon the sinful
>what is false prophet (a favorite of mine)
>what is final judgement
>c rift
>council's judgement

etc, and all my table does is tutor all day

tldr; I play at boring edh tables where secret scarred puma tech is not allowed

How is Saskia + Burning Anger doing anything at all? There's absolutely nothing to it.

Councils judgment never exiles my uril because I get people to vote for other stuff and in exchange I kill other people first

That just means your group is full of idiots that would make world a better place by killing themselves.
Convincing idiots to do your bidding isn't really anything to brag about.

I don't really see how that makes them idiots

With vigilance, when Saskia swings, it stays untapped. When a creature tries blocking, tap Saskia to blast the defending creature so it cannot block.

>aligned hedron network
That would actually work.

>merciless eviction
6cmc AND you're going to get hit real hard the next turn.

>Descend Upon the Sinful
That would work, but 6 mana is way to much to use more than once.

>False Prophet
That would also work, while completely fucking you over for whatever nonsense any other player has.

>Final Judgement
Again, 6cmc. You aren't using that more than once, and you're going to take a lot of damage the next turn.

>Cyclonic Rift
Again, that's a bajillion mana.

>Council's Judgement
AsianGirlsLaughing.jpeg

You didn't even list objectively the best options to remove him. I think you're going to have a bad time user, but I'll wait until you come here and start bitching. Uril may win very few games, but he almost never comes in last.

that's not how blocking works, unless you just mean to protect saskia from damage

Killing a blocker won't push damage through

Gisela, Blade of Goldnight?

Right yeah, there are certainly responses to him, but they're all basically scorched earth. The point is, Uril is a fucking cockroach and totem armor helps.

False Prophet is an hilarious card, though. Him+a sack outlet is some of the best life insurance mana can buy.

Alright EDH General I am looking to build child of alara 5 color stuff and Guild Gate Wincon deck if anybody has a decklist or must haves for Child it would be nice

Also any anti planeswalker tech guy in my EDH group has atraxa superfriends and I am looking for tech to beat him over the head with.

Really? You don't see how voting against killing the giant stompy cockroach makes them idiots?

why do soooo many people here/online/lgs play the same 15 meme commanders and pretty much the same cards?

do people net deck?(netdecking an edh deck, kek) or are they just unoriginal?

Just bought a manacrypt for 35 bucks, feelsgoodman.

They get to have their opponents killed without any effort on their part

Obviously they wouldn't do it unless they have board wipes of their own to eventually kill Uril when I come for them

It's the same thing that happens when somebody is representing cyclonic rift during my combat step, Uril becomes their enforcer, they don't actually have to rift, just the fact that they could means I have to kill somebody else or kill nobody

>EDH
>6-7 cmc
>expensive

Look, I'm the guy originally arguing with him about totem armor, so I WANT to agree with you, but all you've got here is a really wordy "nuh-uh"

List those 15

Who are the 15 meme commanders?

my LGS is filled with highly tuned, competitive, and mostly blue decks.

I try to play different, fun things (Kraj, Zedruu Aura Voltron, Dralnu) but when you get steamrolled by Zur and Rafiq all the time, you just want to win one game.

...although I'd rather play them than the last casual player I fought against. His board wasn't developing the way he liked it by turn 7 so he gave up. Had 35 life too and I had like two non-lands on my field.

This is exactly the mentality that gives my Gahiji deck such a high win rate. I love it.

I don't see why not. Focus on anthems, double strike, doubling season effects, extra combat steps.

Pair with Bruse for easy access to White and doublestrike on the same card.

It doesn't? Killing a blocker in the declare blocker step doesn't prevent it from blocking?
Very much so, yes

You don't understand the issue user.

>opponent plays Uril
>you, being the grinning mad sorcerer you are, already have 6 mana up, either on a better curve than the guy in green, or more likely on curve t6
>you pop your 6cmc board wipe when it becomes your turn
>then you pass because you have no mana
>and Uril just plays Uril again the next turn

But, that scenario can easily be fucked with any of the following variables:
>uril ramps like everyone expects him to and casts him t4
>your sorcery speed removal is no match for a hastey Uril and you get punked for a shitload of damage
>your friends, being the bastards they are, disrupt you even slightly so you don't have 6 mana, or your 6 mana board wipe gets milled/discarded/exiled
>someone plays something that's going to win the game and you need to use it on them, instead of Uril

Realistically, the way to deal with Uril are edicts. The Uril player will not have a lot of creatures, so anything involving sacrifices usually takes them out of commission. The best I've ever seen at dealing with Uril is Meren looping Fleshbag, but that's entirely contingent on their mostly empty board. If they're playing enchantress, this strategy works significantly worse.

The other strategy is to blow up their trample producers, chump Uril, and crackback for a few turns until they're effectively out of the game. Both of those have nothing to do with 6cmc and are effective because you can also do other things. Hedron Network is probably the best option he posted, because I've never seen anyone play that card.

The rule of thumb is, if you aren't winning the game at 6-7cmc, you're losing it.

maren
zur
azami
uril
rafiq
atraxa
nekusar
oloro
xenagod
gitrog
titania
arcum
prossh
nuzuri
5 color dragon guy

theres more but these are off the top of my head

Trying to make a dimir deck with the most uninteractive creatures possible. Already have pic related, invisible stalker, aetherling, and a few more goodies but Id like some suggestions for includes as well as the commander itself

So there are more than 15? Also:

>gitrog
>xenagos
>rafiq
>nuzuri
>nekusar
>atraxa

>in the same tier as scion hermit druid combo (which is what I assume you meant by 5c dragon guy)
>or Zur tutored wincons.dek
>or Oloro prison control
>or prosh "foodchain wins me the game"

>also, no derevi, brago, darietti, or undead sidisi

I mean, returning something to your hand isn't great in EDH but pic related

alternatively, Phenax (indestructible) or Lazav (hexproof)

Here's how combat works

>beginning of combat step
This step nothing happens, but it's officially no longer main phase, so only instants can be cast. If you had a tap effect like cryptic command, this would be the last moment you could use it if you wanted to tap down the attacking player's creatures to prevent them from attacking
>declare attackers step
The FIRST thing in this step, is the attacking player chooses which creatures he wants to attack with, pays any costs like ghostly prison etc. THEN everybody gets priority. This would be the last moment that you could kill or tap down the defending players blockers to prevent them from blocking. You have to do this before knowing exactly how they intend to block (often you can easily surmise that tho)
>declare blockers step
The FIRST thing that happens is the defending player(s) choose their blocks, paying for archangel of tithes, etc. THEN each player gets priority. If you kill a blocker now, you prevent that blocker from dealing damage to your attacker, but the attacker is still blocked and deals no damage to the player (unless it has trample)

Do you need specifically creatures, or are you just looking to give your friends a bad time?

Realistically, Elusive Tormentor is not that good. It didn't make the cut in my Lazav deck because, in order to flip it, you need to pay mana and discard a card, which is already inefficient, but then in order to flip it back you need to pay 2B.

Also, hexproof indestructible is a good combo, but not if it can't block. There are 10 million things that can give everything -x/-x until the end of turn without targeting, and you can only flip the mist during combat on your turn.

just looking for evasive/unblockable creatures that preferably can dodge removal. what im building is shaping up to be similiar to a Sygg, River Cutthroat deck with coastal piracy effects and the like.

Hey /edhg/,
I've got a challenge for you. I want y'all to brew a spoopy deck using as many curses, witches, and witchy related things.

>list of all the curses
mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Curse

Happy brewing!

Had one of the most interesting games last night

>playing Breya vs Gay Greeks vs Vorosh vs Tesya
>game is slogging due to tragic arrogance being cast twice
>teysa player ultimates off SOI sorin markov and casts black market
>being the idiot I am I cast phyrexian rebirth to get a 52 horror token
>vorosh player copies phyrexian rebirth to get rid of mine
>teysa player uses death's grasp expending all the mana from black market to kill vorosh
>I form a pact with greeks to take down teysa player after cyclonic rifting
>expend most of my removal to destroy anything that hinders greeks to give him time to build up
>greek plays pic related and starts to build up a small army
>every move I make is solely to help him at the cost of my own win
>teysa player keeps pinging at him
>eventually he gets out his army ready to swing but unsure if he can kill teysa who only has 2 creatures(teysa and a 4/4 nighthowler)
>remembers he has stromgald out and swings all out at teysa for 88 total damage all trample
>After his board was destroyed due to teysa's ability I activate breya's 3 dmg ability to target the last of teysa's life

It ended up turning around due to me drawing shimmer myr and blinkmoth urn allowing me to win the game but damned if I'm not impressed by the power of marton stromgald