Frog People

Considering how many of industry's byproducts are harmful to amphibians and their skin, would frog people even be able to develop past the bronze age? If so, how would their society differ from normal humanoid society?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Neimoidian/Legends
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Are you sure you thought this through? Many of industries byproducts are harmful to human skin, but we don't put the was were it harms us.

So let's look at gilding.

Up until electroplating came along, gilding mostly meant fire gilding. You make a paste out of gold and mercury, apply it to your object, and then heat it so the mercury evaporates.

This gives you a thick, beautiful gold layer, along with a whole host of skin, respiratory and neural issues, possibly including insanity, paralysis, coma and death.

>but we don't put the waste were it harms us.

That varies. Sometimes you just let the poor suffer it, or the effects are slow enough that nobody connects the dots.

Well for starters they have tadpoles, live bear water, lay eggs. Don't forget they aren't pack animals.

I think the biggest change may be the fact for sure they would put frog in front of their nouns when they spoke. Shoes would become frog shoes. A boat would become a frog boat. Frog people would be living in frog homes with their frog friends, watching frog movies.

Frogfolk are instead very advantageous diplomats, trading goods for niche labour such as sailing, fishing, tree climbing and swamp farming.

In their weaknesses are others specific strengths, and certain places and activities that are incredibly challenging or neigh impossible for certain races are doable fot another. Labour exchange boooooyyyy.

If frogs are so harmed by industrial byproducts, why did the Frog God help a radical anti-environmentalist take over the world?

>four out of five posts are dubs
PRAISE KEK.

Fuck your kek. The RNGoddess and the pantheon of the Dice Gods are responsible for Veeky Forums's blessed luck.

A frog's skin is far more permeable than a humans, hence their constant secretion of mucus to keep themselves insulated and water tight. The problem is that chemicals that might burn your skin or just wash off will wander straight into a frog's circulatory system.

>Dubs
>Fuck kek

>55
We are but pawns in the four-fingered hands of the He Who Croaks.

>would frog people even be able to develop past the bronze age
Sure.

It wasn't until fairly recently that frogs started to be harmed by pollution. Smoke in the air doesn't really bother them much, but rather chemical runoff into streams and ponds. They would easily be able to make it to at least early 19th century tech levels before it became an issue, and by then they'd have the means of purifying/filtering the water in their homes.

Bullwugs would probably be feudal from the monster manual how far tech wise is up to you and they can barter or steal better equipment

It would be interesting to see what sort of architecture would emerge among amphibian societies, given that their environmental priorities regarding moisture are pretty much the reverse of other animals.

I for one hope for comfy frog villas built around a large, shallow, heated pool as the main social space instead of a conventional living room with furniture.

They would invent gloves, OP.

Gloves.

Yeah they would. Wouldn't want to get mucus on everything.

Working with gloves would take a lot of getting used to for a frog, since they rely on their sticky finger pads to hold on to things rather than gripping them the way we do.

Well now they would use gloves.

I have a froggy alien in a Star Trek game that wears gloves as part of her uniform so yeah, they do use gloves.

Even though I think the game is dead by now. I don't know. It didn't officially die but I don't know what is up with it.

Frogs are cold-blooded which means they are insanely more energy-efficient than humans while not moving around. A frog society with agriculture available could live off the land in far larger numbers than humans without resources becoming an issue.

>Frogmen are sluggish but efficient at deskwork
>This makes them good scribes, bankers, and wizards
>They have a reputation for being lazy otherwise
>In reality they're just satisfied with a good home life and plenty of food
Where were you when frogmen turned out to be hobbits?

I could work with this.

What would a beast race feel about the actual beast?

Same thing as humans to great apes? What about beast races where the beast is much more commonplace as pets/prey/pests in other societies, like rats, dogs, or cats?

Frogs lay hundreds of eggs with the hope that one or two survive into adulthood. Do frog people do the same or do they have few children like humans?

If they do have lots of babies are they cast out into the wilderness with the strongest surviving and only rejoining society as adults? Or are they raised but life is so dangerous in frog society that few will survive?

>Same thing as humans to great apes?
Probably, though it would of course depend on how similar the beast race is to the animal they're based on. We're pretty different from apes on a superficial level, since they're covered by fur while we're not, so the closeness of our relation wasn't known for much of history.

It's hard to say how things might have developed differently if we knew we had a close animal cousin going all the way back to the superstitious days of antiquity when our religious/moral norms were first forming.

Shamefur space frogs related:
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Neimoidian/Legends
>Neimoidians spent their formative years as puny grubs in the communal hives of Neimoidia, until the age of seven standard years. They were knowingly neglected by being given limited amounts of food.[1] In this way, the weaker individuals were weeded while the most acquisitive ones could hoard more food than they could eat by themselves.

I'd imagine frog people to spit on the remaining normal frogs.

They've got sentience and they'll be damned if they'll be humble about it kind of attitude

The race I made lays eggs in clutches of around three to eight and abortion is perfectly legal because most parents don't want to deal with the shit of having too many kids around. My character is an only child but she originally came from a clutch of five eggs.

Also abortion is ok up to the tadpole stage, not just eggs.

Mammals tend to have a diminishing number of young the larger they get, so I don't see why that wouldn't also be the case with amphibians.