Does wargaming even exist outside of anglospere as an industry?

Does wargaming even exist outside of anglospere as an industry?

I mean, only notable non anglo wargame around is Infinity. You'd expect another finely crafted and bizzare French fantasy game, Witcher Fantasy Battles from Poland and Japanese revisionist WW2 wargame at least, but they don't seem to exist.

Other urls found in this thread:

48storm.com/
sklep.wargamer.pl/category/en/by-fire-and-sword
youtube.com/watch?v=AgU1Yv80Fyc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I always figured that the rest of the world was more into hex-and-counter or board wargame. Miniature gaming is hella expensive, and takes up a lot of space.

>no ireland
Paddies btfo once again

Yep. It's just that Warhammer is completely dominating the market, and it happens to be british.

>finely crafted and bizzare French fantasy game
Confrontation and Rackham in general R.I.P., Alkemy, also the fact that Asmodée is buying everyone out there.

>Witcher Fantasy Battles from Poland
Closest thing I got is Neuroshima Hex.

>Japanese revisionist WW2 wargame
I'm not sure miniature wargames are big in Japan.

Meanwhile, germans are making all the boardgames

Spain with Infinity and Anima Tactics?

>Warhammer is completely dominating the market
FFG has surpassed GW for several months now desu. Luckily that happens to be American.

>Witcher Fantasy Battles from Poland
I don't see a tabletop wargame ala Warhammer in the Witcher setting, but a small skirmish game where you have a bunch of gents and ladies hunting OP monsters would be more possible.

Recently bought out by Asmodée, a french company.

Judging by the sheer quantity of WH40k fanart and shitposting that comes out of Russia and the Eastern bloc, I think it's reasonably popular over there as well.

My brother even visited a big GW store in Warsaw, and I remember the DOW games used to be huge in Poland.

OP said Wargaming.

>I'm not sure miniature wargames are big in Japan.
If they don't use a computer probably not.
Imagine how much space minis take, imagine how much space the games themselves take, it's just impractical for most people in Japan.

Anecdote: First I learned of Warhammer and where I picked it up was Vienna, Austria.

>Literal OGRE

I'd play it.

And how X-wing isn't wargame?
Also, they making Runewars wargame.

As a Pole I can confirm 40k is fairly popular there. Or at least in the big cities.

>what is kriegspiel

Wait until they get holographic displays for them, then they'll be all for wargames.

Otaku do seem to love figures, so it does bemuse me a little that GSC or someone hasn't tried to build a game of sorts out of them.

...Nendoroid wars?

Industry-wise, there's the UK, the US and a tiny bit in Spain and France. There's a pretty simple reason for that: The big names of the Industry have always been in the UK, which bled over to the US. It's very hard to start up an industry completely from nothing by yourself, GW did a lot for the industry by bringing people in and training up the people needed for sculpting, writing and, also very important, production.

If you wanted to start a wargaming company in Germany you'd have to find a publisher to promote you. Then you'd also have to find people capable of writing the rules and sculpting the miniatures. And then you'd have to find a way to produce them and unless you fall for the China Meme, building up a means of producing plastic miniatures in Germany will require some effort.
An Industry facilitates itself, that's why you get a shitton of eurostyle boardgames from Germany, but practically nothing in the vein of US style games or wargaming.

>X-wing

Skirmish game

>Runewars

It's just X-wing with different minis.

>Japanese revisionist WW2 wargame

Nips prefer to sell revisionism histories either as waifu collecting games or as shitty light novels with +50 word tittles.

>Skirmish game
So as 40k (but because of GW greed 40k is overloaded by models).
>It's just X-wing with different minis.
Lolwut?

just pointing out polish Prodos games gave us warzone resurrection,which is a decently big game(though not quite as big as the 4 5 actually popular wargames. Also some italians created this very small,but still fun, skirmish hy
storycal wargame
48storm.com/

And not only.

Go and hunt Zeugls in the sewers, Strigas in abandoned hamlets, meet talking Ghouls...then either get out of here with your trophy, or not return and stay for dinner as the main dish.

This would be fun on multiple levels.

Poland also has With Fire and Sword, great game with big model range.

Attempts were made to make skrimish games based off RPG systems, but both Wolsung and Neuroshima Tactics were not supported after initial runs.

WHFB was the biggest game in town for years, but 40k gained some foothold as game concentrated on fuckhuge centerpiece miniatures that were crucial to win in 8th ed. WHFB.

Warheim, Mordheim fan remake fares well.

Infinity is also popular, also Battlegroup and some Bolt Action.

Miniature wargaming is pretty much a non-starter in Japan due to lack of space.

Their RPG market was also non-existant for a long time, but that's rapidly changing.

>WHFB was the biggest game in town for years

How much butthurt was there was WHFB got squated?

Damn those hussars look dope. Got a link to the model range?

I just checked the polish GW site because this triggered curiosity.
Start Collecting Space Marines
US: 85$
AUS: 140$ (105 US)
Poland: 250 Zloty (60 US)

Does GW give a good plumber discount?

Pic rel.

It was even bigger because here WHFRP is like DnD and Pathfinder in the rest of the world and people mostly had no idea how little following the game had outside of Poland.

Even novels were selling very well, there are additional prints of Gortek and Felix books even in the last months.

Players were bracing for next wargame edition and it was unexpected for them.

AoS is kinda noexistent, AoS topics on forums are only WHFB/WHRP rage to this very day and prices for sqatted Empire Militia boxes already tripled in price as people buy out what is about to be OOP.

9th Age is popular, but will it hold? I don't know.

sklep.wargamer.pl/category/en/by-fire-and-sword

They also have American distributor, english rules and plenty of international resellers.

>FFG has surpassed GW for several months now desu
Not true. They barely surpassed 40k in 3rd party sales in North America in 2015. Sales from all GW products combined were higher than FFG, and 3rd party sellers is only a 1/3 of GW sales while it's most of FFG's sales. And in the past year GW sales have skyrocketed, making more cash in the past half year than in the entire year and a half before it.
Now let this meme die.

>They barely surpassed 40k in 3rd party sales in North America in 2015.
You are talking about X-wing sales, FFG outsold GW in 2014.
>and 3rd party sellers is only a 1/3 of GW sales while it's most of FFG's sales. And in the past year GW sales have skyrocketed, making more cash in the past half year than in the entire year and a half before it.
Proof?
Also, GW sales keep dropping since 2013 when they dropped by 25% if I remember correctly.

Is there any RPGing or Boardgaming in the Arab world or Africa at all?

Or is it haram?

All fun things are Haram.

Magical Beast
Hit Dice:
5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative:
+1
Speed:
30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class:
15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple:
+5/+14
Attack:
Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack:
2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach:
10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Improved grab
Special Qualities:
Scent
Saves:
Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities:
Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills:
Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats:
Alertness, Track
Environment:
Temperate forests
Organization:
Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
None
Alignment:
Always neutral
Advancement:
6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

Yeah they quite like it in Germany and Spain from personal experience. Russia also seems to have a big following of Warhammer Fantasy.

It does appear to be an Anglo thing though.

Why RPG when you live in one?
>YFW the real world is the biggest and wackiest RPG in existence and you're wasting it on the NPC life

youtube.com/watch?v=AgU1Yv80Fyc

You got some sauce there sempai?