Why does Wizards give superfriends so much support...

Why does Wizards give superfriends so much support? Don't they realize that a superfriends deck is probably one of the most expensive and most unfun deck to play against?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-wizards-manages-its-savings-account
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptktk/friday-night-magic-changes-2014-10-14
mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-changing-definition-of-mythic-rare
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

don't play a format where superfriends is dominant?

>most expensive
This is the whole point, if they make all the tournament staple cards mythic then they get to sell more packs, both to retailers who need to open product to sell singles and to idiots who try to play the mythic lottery by buying sealed product.

WotC only cares about what makes it the most money

But user, that doesn't really help superfriends that much. Sure, a 4/4 flying vigilance for 2 seems spicy, until you realize that any 3 drop walker is going to be super vulnerable missing a counter, and all the bigger walkers effectively render this thing a niche t5/6 play.

If it gave more loyalty counters, you'd have something to bitch about. This is a $2 mythic, unless standard revolves around it for some reason.

You aren't going to pop counters off a 3-drop walker to attack with this thing. You simply threaten to block with it. A walker with two counters on it IS super vulnerable, but if your opponent is about to hit it with a 3/X dude then being alive and vulnerable is a lot better than being dead.

Remember when Mythics weren't supposed to be staples?

>You simply threaten to block with it
Which is why you swing with more than one dude. You swing with 2 2/2 creatures, and then you instagib the stupid walker that you needed to take a counter off of.

It's marginally better because you can +X your walker before you take the counters off, but that's still not justification to run it, or spend more than $2 on it.

Standard attendance was way down during Khans/Battle block, when everyone was 4 colors and fetchlands were everywhere. People just didn't want to fork over $500-600 to compete

>most expensive

user, that's on purpose.

mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-wizards-manages-its-savings-account

And what if you're not playing an aggro deck? "Hit them with 2 dudes with 2 power on turn 3" is not something that many decks can do. Particularly if one of them has -2/-1.

>Don't they realize that a superfriends deck is probably one of the most expensive
I wonder why they love them so much.

The first set with mythics had Elspeth, Knight-Errant.
That shit was never true.

Because fucking everything is about these shitty 5 planeswalkers.

Why do we not care about the actual worlds now? Why are the planes now just backdrops for the walkers to take selfies in front of?

Hm your post is what's not true, the first mythics were the Lorwyn 5.

Is that how you feel because there's some main characters now? I'm glad I'm not as emotionally fragile as you.

The lorwyn walkers were rare, mythics where introduced in a later set

Wrong, mythics didn't happen until Alara. The lorwyn five got retconned into being mythic after their reprints.

Glissa, Toshiro, Kos, and Rhys want to have a word with you.

That just shows that they've been lying from the start.

Why didn't you listen to /pol/ about the Jews?

Pauper isn't a recognized format, user.

Then why is it supported on mtgo and why does it have an official ban list from wotc?

>Mgto
Same reason why EDH sorry, I mean Commander is supported by wizard. Money.

If I can't play it at a sanctioned event, it's not recognized.

You can play it at a sanctioned event. WotC allowed Friday Night Magic to be any format back in 2014.

magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptktk/friday-night-magic-changes-2014-10-14

I'm more annoyed we probably won't get to see much of Yahenni after Kaladesh block is over. They're one of the best black characters wizards has made, and we're just going to leave them behind, probably to die.

the portal mcguffin could be used to connect the multiverse and allow inter dimensional travel and then they could become a reoccuring character

you mean the portal mcguffin that tezzeret stole and will be using in Amonkhet to enable the Phyrexians to compleate more planes?

mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-changing-definition-of-mythic-rare

Alternatively, you could play good games and avoid this issue.

>implying I play mtg anymore
I just shitpost because I hate what it became.

>card quality is motivated by Wizards making money
>this automatically makes MtG a bad game

you're right, we should play all those other games made by companies NOT motivated to make money

Tezz doesn't like, or work for, Phyrexians, who outright rejected him.

Problem is, I enjoy magic a great deal, more than other games. It's just design and MaRo that wants to change that.

That, or they could drain a planeswalker and gain their spark (in theory at least, their card is a creature, so we can't be sure if it happens.) A spark might also fix those unfortunate lifespan issues, since they've already shown extreme aversion to draining people just to live.

>Standard
>Constructed in general

The light is cube drafting, user.

If they sell a balanced game for money they desserve it.
If they make sure only one card is worth playing each set, and that card is a mythic for the explicit purpose of selling more boosters. They're shit and should be called out for it.

It's mostly MaRo. The sets where Ken or Rick were at the helm were infinitely better than any MaRo shitshow. He genuinely dislikes it when Magic is fun and giggles like a little girl at creature-clogged boards with 100+ life totals..

Which sets were those?

Well, looking at what actually sees play, there's a fairly low portion of mythics for standard. If we move to modern, the number of mythics from recent sets (as a portion of the cards from those sets that see play) is astoundingly low. In fact, the number of mythics that see play in modern in general is quite low. That is, of course, helped by the fact that a large portion of its cardpool is pre-mythic, but even with more recent sets, there are commons that have as much or more impact than any mythic (see: Insolent Neonate and Cathartic Reunion bringing Dredge back to life)

Basically the entire Delirium list is Mythic, I'm not really sure how well that holds up.

Garfield led Innistrad, Nagle led New Phyrexia and Return to Ravnica, Forsythe led M10
Save for Khans of Tarkir 4/5 of the best post-NWO sets were not led by MaRo's neurotic anti-fun.

I would note that MaRo was lead design on Innistrad, and he has said he considers original Innistrad to be one of his best sets ever, so make of that what you will.

If you don't play Gideon, Liliana, Grim Flayer, Ishkana or Emrakul, you can't win in Standard.
It doesn't matter that most of the deck is commons, of course most of the deck is commons since basic lands are common.

The problem is the last time a deck won without mythics was Mono Black Devotion and MaRo absolutely hated it.

If you assume that your opponent has more attacks than you can pony up blockers, why did you bother playing a PW in the first place?

In name only because Garfield was a "consultant". Rick's lectures on game design evidence he didn't care much about the flavor but was the mastermind behind the mechanics and balance while MaRo was putting red abilities on blue chinese-american fatties because he "didn't think Snapcaster could and should have been red at the moment".

I will grant you that it is difficult to have a top level standard deck that has literally no mythics. That would be kind of against the point of having mythics. On the other hand, even mythic-heavy decks like Delirium don't just run down the list of mythics in their colors and throw them all in. Mythics are, by definition, splashy, high-impact cards. Does this include cards that can define a whole season of Standard? Of course. Would it suck if none of the mythics in a set were particularly playable? Also yes.

Balance is development's job, not design's. The mechanics of Innistrad were entirely dependant on and drawn from the flavor; it was explicitly a "top-down" design. I think you just don't want to admit that MaRo could have an actual hand in anything you like because you're invested in him being a boogeyman.

>If you don't play Gideon, Liliana, Grim Flayer, Ishkana or Emrakul, you can't win in Standard.
As a player who created a deck that, at peak efficiency, can sometimes go to game 3 against Gideon or Lili if I'm lucky, this is physically painful to read.

>even mythic-heavy decks like Delirium don't just run down the list of mythics in their colors and throw them all in
That's literally what they do, though.

Everyone but MaRo puts Innistrad's success on Garfield's hands.
And MaRo calls Force of Will one of "his designs" even though all he did was name it. So I don't believe in shit he says.

You don't seem to understand.
Opening a specific mythic takes aprox. 110 boosters.
If 13/15 of a set's mythics are splashy Commander crap but two of them are the absolute Standard staples of the season. WotC has instantly sold 440 boosters just to outfit ONE player with one set of the 3-4 sets of mythics he absolutely needs to run in order to even have a chance at winning.

It's in their best interest for there to be only two competitive decks, and for those decks to use 3-4 mythics from different sets because it keeps SCG, CFB, T&T, Card Kingdom, etc. opening boosters like retards to fullfil their presales, and idiots at Wal Mart, Target or the LGS playing the booster lottery.

Just to further add onto this argument, in an effort to get Standard numbers up, Wizards has had to release packs that contain exclusively rare and mythic cards (and one foil that's always a white common for some stupid reason) because players are starting to get wise to their bullshit.

>STOP GIVING ME FREEBIES WIJJARDSSSS RRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's what you got from that?

don't worry user, just use all the good standard burn to take out superfrien-

>incendiary flow is the best burn card in standard

fuck this game

They stopped giving freebies. Remember player rewards? I miss my free full art foil damnations and full art playable commons/uncommons coming in the mail three times a year at no expense to me beyond my normal playing habits.

but you can fragmentize for 1 white!

My last one is that creepy Sign in Blood.

>The texless promo
I still hate them for stopping that.

>mfw ive only played 3 prerelease events and no fnms it because there is no reason to go play magic when you have a playgroup

I did go to FNM when the promo interested me. But I didn't keep up after it started being more and more standard fodder.

Yeah, can't understand why wizards don't give more good promos. FNMs were jampacked when Serum Visions was the promo.
I also still remembered when Restoration Angel was the release party reward. Nonstop drafting from morning to midnight.

I've been playing for a year and its sad that all I see when I see fnm is a big fucking money pit because wotc wont give my lgs prize support that they promise players. Also some of my favorite cards in my collection are textless full art cards so I would play standard if that kind of shit was available.

Is this the card that finally makes Tibalt viable?

>2 drop car
>2 drop walker
not even close, this is for 3 drop walkers

>what are 1 drops

deathrite shaman doesnt have loyalty counters, this doesnt incentivize the random discard and jace's phantasm is better than tibalt for activating this card. L2p

Madness creatures make Tibalt usable. Either way, his minus abilities are so good that in some (not tier 1) decks it is worth the cost.

does this mean saheeli rae is standard viable?

>have saheeli rae with 4+ counters
>remove counter from saheeli to crew heart
>-2 saheeli to copy heart with haste
>remove another counter to crew copy

Can you give me an example of a one mana planeswalker?

More like Gideon's Flagship.

>-1 Gideon crew Heart
>+1 Gideon jumped down and become 5/5 indestructible

I would love it if my opponent did that

you mean
>play boat
>turn
>play gideon, pump and crew
>pass after beating that ass
>they hit you, crew again if needed
>repeat
>when gideon is at 6 ult and use your creatures to crew the boat
>gideon is now president

Sweet, my opponent jebds up with a single 2/2, and no planeswalker

Citation needed for both of those.

Are there people thinking that this game will ever be good again with the creature powercreep on the rise?

Delete plainswalker, make creatures bad again and then maybe.

>6/11 printed in green for 5 printed in soi
>all the c16 commanders are all 4 mana and bigger than 4/4 with many abilities
No user, creatures will be the best forever now
unless they printed a fixed alpha 5, a new charm cycle, two new command cycles, and a cycle of 4-7 cost sorceries that gave emblems on cast in addition to their other effects that are on par with sorceries from the past that used to be 7-9 cost

>all c16 commander are bigger than 4/4s for 4
nigga you need to know what you are saying
They are 4/4s,for 4 of every fucking color of mana minus 1. And Saskia is only a 3/4. Ydris is the only 5/4. They are not unbalanced because it takes serious fucking fixing to cast them.

Ok, Atraxa is probably overpowered, but apart from her.

>breya is a 6/6 with flying

>only 2 of her 6/6 has flying
>she's still 4 color
C'mon, have you SEEN spiritmonger?

I'm fine with good creatures, as long as there are good playable answers to them.

Planeswalkers do need more answers though in a few different colours. Blue can counter them, black can target and destroy them, white can prevent them from activating abilities, red can just redirect burn to them or burn directly, green generally just gets HUGE and beats them all down. I mean current Standard answers to them are ok but then a rotation happens and then they're super good again.

They're all broken because they're 4 color. If you have the money the mana fixing on every single one of these cards is easy. Hell they just reprinted prophetic prism, the sigils, and the checklands recently.

The Jacestice league needs to be the face of the game, and viable in every format, MaRo even said that everyone loves this years late avengers ripoff, and he wouldn't lie.

Which combination of characters would be your perfect Gatewatch? Make sure that all colors are at least somewhat represented and that no obvious villains such as Ob are part of it.

Get rid of jace gideon and liliana to give them a break, kill nissa and chandra. Replace everyone with tamiyo's orgy squad trying to save elspeth from theros. Then dack fayden can come back and when you revisit the gatewatch they can replace chandra with ral'zarek and nissa with garruk

I don't understand what 2 set blocks are achieving in terms of storytelling. All that's happening is Magic's story is turning into a theme park where you move from one zone to the next because if you stayed in one too long you'd see how boring it is.

>I don't understand what 2 set blocks are achieving in terms of storytelling

...nothing?

Two set blocks have nothing to do with improving the story.

Wizards think their players are a bunch of children with ADHD who need lots of different planes as fast as possible to remain interested. I think they gave some asinine reason along the lines of not having to save mechanics until the last set which means they would only be in standard 18 months while at the same time changing standard to rotate every 18 months. This also implied that their mechanics were worth caring about, which is VERY rarely the case. Which guild had the best mechanic in Return to Ravnica? That's right, none of them because they were all shit.

Prerelease kit for 25$?
Y/N?

If so, EMN or KLD?

>red abilities on blue chinese-american fatties
Holy fucking shit let it go already. Snapcaster should be black because Yawgmoth's Will if you're going to keep insisting it not be blue

Never. You know it be true user, even if you hear it a lot.

>What's the color that cares most about instants and sorceries
Blue
>What's the color that primarily has flash creatures
Blue

I don;t see how anyone could possibly think that just because Recoup was printed once and barely does a third of what Snapcaster does, that alone is reason enough to want it to be red.

Bump

Just count for yourself whether 6 boosters and one random foil rare is worth it. Personally i think it's a bit expensive, would take it for 20.

Still waiting for some planeswalker hate. Fuck those cocksuckers

Planeswalkers were a mistake.

You have to play black to either ruinous path them, to the slaughter them, or use transgress the mind or lost legacy to get rid of them outright before they go off.

This is not a card for superfriends. This is Copter 5 and 6 for Mardu Vehicles. The loyalty counter crew cost is for Johnnies

For me, as a former player who left when Time Spiral came out, one of the worst parts of the game now is the increasing number of mechanics over the years.
New set, new mechanics^x
The new ones barely get revisited in further sets because of planar lore or some shit, and instead they come up with even dumber mechanics each time