WIP: Work in Progress Thread

New thread edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Painting music
Dynatron - Pulse Power
youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1-qLbHHCM

Previous Threads

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-US/Sisters-of-Battle-Immolator-2016
belloflostsouls.net/2014/04/hobby-build-rubble-bases-in-3-minutes.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for POST YOUR CURRENT PROJECT!

GO!

Blood Bowl Humans and Fyreslayers!

They look AWESOME

They are awesome, how did you do the skin?

Continuing work on this tank thing, I need to glue the treads on, then I'll move onto the sponsons.

This looks SWEET AS WELL. Thats a big turret. Have you considered putting anything on the back so it wouldnt flip if fired?

Thanks so much! I am using the project to experiment with painting different skin tones as I don't paint humans that often so haven't tried things other than caucasian.

The white skin is Cadian Fleshtone, washed with Reikland Fleshshade, then layered with Cadian Fleshtone and highlighted with Kislev Flesh.
The black skin is Dryad Bark, washed with Druchii Violet, layered with Dryad Bark, highlighted with Gorthor Brown then given a thin glaze of Seraphim Sepia.

Would you guys be interested in a picture guide of different basic skin tones? Im doing white, pale/albino, dark black, lighter black/mixed and asian/tanned.

At first I was like 'That's a pretty fucking big cannon for a Rhino chassis' and then I realized it's on a LR.

Disturbing.

The albino would be neat. My kroot are an albino-ish bone/red spines, could be useful!

Hey, painting up some dropfleet commander shaltari, and am 100% torn between two colour schemes.

Which ever one I choose, I know I am going to regret not doing the other, and everyone I have asked have been 50 50 (half so one, half go with the other)

What does Veeky Forums prefer, the light blue colour scheme or the orange colour scheme?

Remember people, practice makes perfect.

I stumbled on this guy's instagram, turns out he won several Golden Daemons and at least 1 Slayer Sword as well!

Only 6 years between those two pics!

>the ball hog weakling catcher that gets the glory is a white guy
>the nameless cannon fodder lineman that gets all the wimmins is a black guy

nigga you raccist!

So what paints am I going to need for Alpha Legion+Cultist? I'm putting them (or at least their cheaper company equivalents) on my Christmas list.

I know there's 101 ways to make them translucent or cool or whatever, and while that'd be nice, I'm very new to this, so probably not what I should be going for. Unless you guys know a way for a total beginner to do that, but w/e.

Well, those are a commission, so someone else is going to paint them.

Commissioner's preference. Gorkamorka rules state you can use any kind of bases you want to. Originally the box set had just tiny little platforms, somewhat similar to plastic army man, so they'd take up less space when loaded onto vehicles.

Also, repostin'

How do you actually use the Citadel Texture Paints?
Im new to this, going for Admech and I got some Martian Ironearth.

Also, how do you guys get your parts for basing? I kind of want to trick out my characters, and Knight when I eventually get it, and I def. want to make some fancy bases for my 30k Admech when I get them at Xmas.

If you dont have an airbrush, just go for the classic blue and green scheme

Both look great but I am partial to the purple/green. Would look killer on a whole army.

Finished up the Sister of Silence herself a while back, but I still need to build a base for her. I could use one of my Sector Imperalis bases but I'd like to do something a little nicer since I only have 15 of these models instead of like ~80 marines. I'm really open to ideas.

Other than that, just working on assembling the next batch of 10 marines, including the pauldrons and bolters for the previous 10 marines. I finally finished scraping the mould-lines on everything so I need to wash the resin stuff to get the release agent off and then I can do some priming when the weather gets less shit.

Got it, but what paints?

Macragge blue, Druchii Violet, Kabalite Green, and Moot Green from the Warhammer TV "Painting Alpha Legion" video?

What about the metallic parts?

Thanks, that is 1 for light blue

Pretty damn cool, user!

I realized i asked what everyone was doing then didnt say mine! Its a toss up between priming and painting! Gue'vesa or Kroot Hound

Just about to start painting some Skitarii Rangers, but haven't painted anything in a few weeks so this will be a tad shoddy.

Thanks! I didn't think about putting something on the back like that. Now that I'm seeing it all assembled I'm thinking maybe I should have went with something smaller, really just wanted it to look scary

prospero bases. stirland mud with chunks of clear resin and plastic, and chips of marble.

Go for the little kickstand in the back, like the old school tanks! Gives it a little length too

Pssh it's like he hasn't improved at all.

Welp, they look pretty bad imo, but I guess it's a start.

My first model done when I was a wee nipper for reference.

How do I paint, say, a crimson hunter without an airbrush in a way that doesn't look like shit?

Goodness user. Crop that image for the love of god.

Now, we've seen that you think k your paints too much. Play with it on your fingernail before applying it on the model. And most importantly, make sure you don't have too much on your brush, otherwise you'll overload it and it'll turn out shit, no matter what you do.

But keep at it. Fix you flaws, think about them when painting your next model, and don't reproduce them.

And watch some Duncan's tutorials, they're really helpful.

>Immolators back up for sale at non-scalper prices
>I could use some more Rhino chassis anyway
Can anyone confirm if the bit circled in red is a Sabbat Pattern power armor helmet? I want a lot of those on hand just in case.

I live in the same area as Andy and have known him for years. For some reason despite him being a nice guy, he lies about how long he has been painting for. He's probably been painting at a competitive level for 6 years but his actual hobby experience has been at least twice that.

Either way, he can say what he wants as long as he keeps giving me painting tips.

Solvent user here.

Been working on modules for a bit. Is it bad I can smell it? And if I am in a room with no doors that is connected to the whole house, should I be fine? I have been wearing a face mask for most of my work too, just in case.

Thanks

It is yes. Shame the Immolator didn't come back sooner while I was still interested in doing an army of them.

Weird.

But if he's a nice guy, it doesn't really matter I guess.
Maybe he's ashamed of his level before that?

wait, up for sale where, GW?

Sorry, dunno how to crop on a phone.

The photo shows up a load more flaws than by eye though. Ink wash on the lasgun looks a bit messy and the metal is too thick. Flesh sucks too.

Im chuffed with how the cloth turned out though.

Going to be using these as Sentinel proxies for my Renegades and Heretics army - I'm not sure how to convey their Nurgle alleigiance. I'm imagining them as powerloaders that have been hastily retrofitted with weapons, and their pilots have added a few grisly trophies, but aside from that I'm not sure.

Debating whether to give them a bright scheme to show their powerloader past or whether to paint them green to match my army

Yeah, on the webstore.
>games-workshop.com/en-US/Sisters-of-Battle-Immolator-2016

Unless your face mask comes with an ABEK1 filter or equivalent, it won't do much. You need strong ventilation and moving air to be kinda safe.

The big guy himself.

Started doing his skin while first round of washes are drying on the base.

>How do you actually use the Citadel Texture Paints?

You shouldn't use them at all. Other companies produce the same shit, for less than a tenth of GWs price. Since you are new its ok, but next time (the tiny GW pot will be empty in no time anyway) check for Vallejos texture paint instead.

How to use:
You take a really bad old brush and with that you slab it onto your desired surface. Bases, underneath a tank.. etc. Then you use the brush to spread it around until you like it and everything is evenly covered and then you let it dry. It takes a bit longer than regular paint. If you let it rest over night you are 100% save.

Then you can apply a wash to its surface and then a very subtle drybrush with whatever color you like. Some bone or dust or sand color.

Parts for basing: Like what? Rocks and little pieces of wood? From outside. If you want some solid rock underneath your minis feet, get some cork from your local "do it yourself"-store. Its super cheap and one 1mx1mx3mm sheet will last forever.
You can also use leftover parts of your sprues and cut them into longer pieces for parts of industrial structures or shorter pieces for bricks.

For further infos:
belloflostsouls.net/2014/04/hobby-build-rubble-bases-in-3-minutes.html

Fu-uuu-uck.

The lasguns are pretty bad immo. I'd go over them again with a different color if i were you. A darker gray maybe, to make them fit to the armor better.

The skin could use some highlights and i wouldn't paint that radio thing on the helmet in the middle in shiny silver. Shiny things at your head in a warzone literally ask for an enemy sniper shot.

The eyes of the guy on the left look surprisingly good though.
I'd say fix the rifles and neaten up a few things here and there and do the bases and they will turn out pretty decent.

GW metals have a very narrow band between "too thick" and "watery mess" when thinning them. Either try thinning more paint at once or get Vallejo Model Air Steel / Silver (They look about the same), the VMA metals are really nice, thin out of the bottle and they go on smooth as anything. Mix with black for your leadbelcher / ironbreaker equivalents.

ooo he naked

>The skin could use some highlights and i wouldn't paint that radio thing on the helmet in the middle in shiny silver. Shiny things at your head in a warzone literally ask for an enemy sniper shot.
Dude. You are applying real life logic to a wargame, which is an abstraction by default, and then 40k specifically of all things.
In actuality your army's commander would look just like all the other guys and not even wear rank insignia in an actual warzone, but since you wouldn't be able to tell the models apart from a few feet away on the table and they would be fucking boring to look at nobody does that.

I smiled, now I have to listen to that song

Much appreciated, user. I'll pop down to the DIY place sometime in the next week.
Good thing about playing Admech is that the Martian colours suit their bases just fine, and with a drybrush of something like Zandri Dust and a few twigs and rocks I can probably get something that fits with Xana flora for my 30k DarkMech.

Oh, I get it now

>In actuality your army's commander would look just like all the other guys and not even wear rank insignia in an actual warzone,

Not really. Officers often enough wore fancy uniforms on the battlefield. Dumb idea in most cases but it happened and still happens.

Yeah during the napoleonic wars. They didn't have to deal with sniper fire like the other user suggested though.
If your military commander does not even think of taking off his insignia, you're in for a really bad time, my friend.

Russian officers wore blue hats and blue pants in WW2 user.

After a while they stopped doing that.

Got any pictures? I played Tau back in 3e and I really miss the promise of auxiliaries. I really wanted Tau to go down the route of lots of Kroot, Vespid, and Human mercenaries; Demiurg and Nicassar fliers; and so on. I actually like all their mobile suits because I'm a big mecha dork but I also think Kroot models and kit-bashed Gue'vesa are the bees knees.

I might go for a more urban Propsero look with lots of marble dominating the base but have it very smashed or battleworn. Maybe put a tiny church on it.

Where did I see those Orks before :^)

Its a bad picture, but here is my Kroot Pathfinder and Fire Warrior Shas'ui, and some of the Gue'vesa i have done so far

Layering and glazes, lots of them.

So then what do most people do?

A close-up of a couple Gue'vesa, these guys are my first full conversion project, alongside the Kroot, everything before that was just extra bits glued on stuff

Yeah. WW2 is pretty much when modern warfare began. Including snipers.

Look I didn't think I'd have to explain that any further. GW most designs take inspiration from historical uniforms and aside from this being where the inspiration comes from it's also flat out impractical for a wargame to not have some kind of distinguishing marks for special weapons or squad leaders. So obviously a game will have them.

Telling a novice painter not to do whatever he likes with painting his minis because of a halfassed real life argument in a setting where you got literal walking tanks in bright red or yellow armor on the battlefield is just silly.

I was not saying you're not supposed to paint blue hats on your dudes, quite the opposite, I was saying that the other anons argument was pretty nonsensical considering the context.

I like the pale Kroot skin, though yeah, it's hard to make out much else. I have a dozen Kroot from when I started playing 40k (like 16 years ago) so their paint job is awful. I might steal your colour scheme.

Looks nice, was it hard putting the pulse rifle onto the Guardsman? Also are there rules for Gue'vesa somewhere? I swear I saw them in an Imperial Armour book somewhere.

Silver Tower special delivery for you, yes you!

The pulse rifle was actually pretty easy. I cut it with a longer notch on the top, sliced the lasgun barrel off, then used a dremel to drill a slot for the pulse barrel. The heads were more difficult to be honest, the cadians being monoposed.

Not sure about rules, im doing this more as a mix up for a regular Tau army. Humans fill in Breacher and Fire Warrior spots, Kroot fill in Pathfinders and Fire Warriors, and Tau are the majority of the mix.

I really dig the highlights on the blue, are those the new blues? Are there are lot of Tzeentch symbols on the model? I see one on the end of the left-tassel-robe-cloth thing but that's easily replaceable. (I'd love to turn them in 30k Thousand Sons.)

They are, 1ks and ahriman blue.

Actually no, not that many symbols at all, although it depends on the spru options selected

Yes rule Gue'vesa exist, though they're not great both powerwise nor variety. Basically 10 guardsmen with a an option for the sergeant to take a pulse rifle, while all armies of the imperium gets hatred towards them.

Go with a bright, powerloader scheme...but then rust and corrode them. Have the paint flaking away to show the decayed metal underneath, oil stains as it leaks from poorly-maintained joints...that sorta thing.

Thanks, which kit is this guy from? I looked at the Exalted Sorcerer and Rubric Marines kit and I don't see that headpiece anywhere. Damn it man, I really need to finish these Imperial Fists before I start another army!

Gross.

Yeah, I think that'd look fantastic. Are there any tutorials out there to achieve that sort of effect? I suppose liberal use of Typhus Corrosion and washes would get me there.

i fear... are the rerelieced sisters resin?

Looking good, why a street base though? Seems a little mundane.

A ruined city street base for a naked wizard demon muscle man is weird

GW site is still showing that they're metal and charging the ridiculous prices for them as well.

Finished up my first 30k dudes, fucked up the base rims with varnish though. Welp.

Go back and fix it you stupid autist.

These look fantastic! I love that the hazard stripes are in different places on the legs on different models, it really makes them stand apart (along with the sweet bases) How did you do the bases by the way? I'm really digging the barbed wire especially.

For varnish did you do a gloss coat and then a matte coat like people suggest? Some people last thread were saying matte varnish kills the shine of metallics but yours look good to me.

Who makes these minis?

I was playing around with glowing runes and shit at first, but I kinda like the idea of an ordinary backdrop for my Sons. Can't everything be crumbling space-egyptian ruins and desert. Especially when you're stomping a space yiff dread into the ground

Should warn you that the website lists it as a 'plastic and resin kit'. This sprue may not be part of it.

these are Mantic Striders; they have options for both these plagued up ones and clean ones.

I'm afraid I can give you the idea, but not the steps for it! I've never handled a corroded model. You could try seeing if you can crack the paintwork, then applying Typhus Corrosion.

fair enough, have you painted any Rubricae yet? pictures?

Mantic Games.

>can only paint in 20 minute streaks without getting bored

What do you listen to? And good podcasts?

Thanks, knew I've seen them before but couldn't put my finger on it

I've watched them all before, but I put Doctor Faust's Painting clinic on autoplay mostly.

Horus Heresy audiobooks (since I'm painting a 30k army) or watch someone on Twitch usually.

Twitch.tv -> creative -> figurines

There is always someone worthwhile.

Besides that: Horus Heresy audiobooks

Started work on a pair of knights this weekend from a Renegade box I was lucky enough to find. Idea is that they will be House Jormungand, with the serpent-esque theme to work along side my 30 Alpha legion, and the Norse-esque theme to work along side my 40k Space wolves. Tried to do a scale pattern on all the armor, and a metallic green made by multiple coats of waywatcher and biel-tan over runefang. I don't know what I'm doing for the base yet but probably not a church

There was this guy I really enjoyed watching but he hasn't streamed since the middle of last month. I hope he's just busy with work and not dead or something. He would just work on his models, chat with the viewers, and when the chat was quiet he would play audiobooks that we'd listen to together. And it was nice because it wasn't like those big Twitch channels that have annoying ass pop-ups and random noises when people subscribe, follow, etc.

About as imposing as The Shocker.

I like both kinds of channels. In the figurines sections even the "big" ones aren't that big. 100 viewers there is huge in figurines and only around 5 people i know reach that number regularly.

There are lots and lots of small but awesome streamers.

It's a neat, unique scheme user. Although maybe change the bit that's supposed to be the underbelly on the crotch plate, seems like a dick joke waiting to happen

Fucking Christ I'm jelly as fuck.
I just finished my very first squad, I thought I'd be original with my dudes here. Oh well.
C&C welcome. Bear in mind the Sarge and an other dude haven't got their bases finished yet.

It's nice, but I hope you're going to do more on the edge of the armour plates, they're quite flat at the moment. Just picking out the rivets with wash would do a lot.

Laaaater

Thanks! The bases for the normal dudes are just one of the citadel texture paints, the stirland mud one, it's faster than sand + pva and you can layer it around to get a churned up effect. The sergeant is cork covered with sand and pva then they were just painted up with nuln oil gloss and a light drybrush of rhinox hide.

The razor wire is from secret weapon miniatures. It's a pain to work with because it snags on everything and likes to bend at the smallest touch.

The puddle was some gloss varnish with greenish paint mixed in, then while it was drying a bit of orange and swirled around with a toothpick. When it was dry, layered it with two-part epoxy (or still water) and then gloss nuln oil on the edges. The rest of the derbis on the other models is plasticard i-beams, corrugated sheet, and pipes from hobby train stores.

Those dudes rock, are the ruined walls bits of plasticard or something else, and did you make those spikes out of shaved sprue off cuts? I couldn't think of a way to make those but those look really good, so I might steal that!

Forgot to mention I haven't actually sealed the models because like you said, I don't know how it'll affect the metal so I'll have to do a test model. I sealed the base rims because vallejo black always rubs off otherwise.

Indeed, plasticard and sprue bits! I just used Duncan's tutorial on rust weapons to give it an old look.

On the other hand, your bases are exactly what I'm trying to pull off, I'm even using the same paints most of the time, with lesser success I'm afraid!

How do I brush varnish my miniatures? I've been painting on and off for a decade but I've never done it.

Reading all the stuff I've heard about spray varnishes, and with winter here, I'd want to avoid it.

Let's say I just get a bottle of Testors Dullcote or something, do I just paint the model and leave the base? Will it fuck up static grass or tufts? Can you put it on too thick easily?