Aasimar in 5e

I was reading the Volo Guide, and saw the Aasimar option.

One of the racial features, the Scourge Aasimar, seems really weak compared to the other two. The special trait makes you self combust, for 1 minute you take damage equal to half your level, and everything within 10 ft of you does as well.

Why the self-immolation? I just seems like the worst option by far (since the other two let you fly or kill far more effectively.)

Am I missing something here?

Also, what are the Aasimar impressions at the table? Are they seen as shitty and annoying as Kender, or are they generally a good race to rp as?

You actually bought Volo's guide to monsters? WHY?

>annoying as Kender

Nothing is as annoying as fucking Kender.

-Martial vs. Caster threads.
-fetish threads
-Gungan Players
-Meta threads from that one guy bitching about quests.
-/pol/

Nah, we've pretty much got Kender beat.

Consider that it's hardly any damage, since the self-damage is radiant, which you resist.

Also, it's area damage with no save, plus more when you hit things.. Probably better than edgelord aasimar, honestly.

>Meta threads from that one guy bitching about quests
>one guy

Yup, it's all one guy. Just one, single, solitary muppet that doesn't want quests on Veeky Forums. That's right, there are no more quests on Veeky Forums because of one dicken's bitching.

What exactly does the ability do, OP, for those of us who haven't read it?

Any race is a bad race if you are just RPing the race. Any race is a good race if you have a real character concept.

To be clear I meant, what is the activation action, does it take concentration, how often can it be used, etc.

Nah, there's plenty of people bitching about bringing quests back, I'm one of them, but it's the one specific guy who tries to post a Meta Thread with a quote from Hiro as the OP that I'm talking about.

I actually think is the best

>The special trait makes you self combust, for 1 minute you take damage equal to half your level, and everything within 10 ft of you does as well.
And you do extra damage on with attacks and spells on top of that.

Once per day, you ignite in radiant energy, anything within 10 ft takes damage equal to half your level rounding up, including you, per turn. WHen you hit something in combat, it takes an additional 1d8 radiant damage.

"Radiant Consumption. Starting at 3rd level, you can
use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself,
causing a searing light to radiate from you, pour out
of your eyes and mouth, and threaten to char you.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end
ii as a bonus action. During it, you shed bright light in
a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet,
and at the end of each of your turns, you and each creature
within 10 feet of you take radiant damage equal to
half your level (rounded up). In addition, once on each
of your turns, you can deal extra radiant damage to one
target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a
spell. The extra radiant damage equals your level.
Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you
finish a long rest." -Page 105

Yeah, but the protector archetype lets you FLY and do that extra damage, without hurting yourself. Since all aasimar know the light cantrip, the self-immolating makes this abaility pretty crap.

Idk, the scourge's ability seams less situational in usefulness than the other twos.

Are you retarded or illiterate?

>Protector
Spend an action to gain 30 feet flying and once on your turn, an attack or spell deals damage equal to your level, both lasting for a minute.

>Scourge
Spend an action to CRAWLING IN MY SKIN deal damage equal to half your level to you and everything else within 10 feet of you and and once on your turn, an attack or spell deals damage equal to your level, both lasting for a minute.

>Fallen
Spend an action to be real spoopy to each creature within 10 ft until the end of your next turn and for the next minute once on your turn, an attack or spell deals damage equal to your level.

>Since all aasimar know the light cantrip, the self-immolating makes this abaility pretty crap.
I don't think the purpose of the ability is to light up a room. I pretty sure it's to cause damage.

VGM is great.

It has some very very tasty fluff

All aasimar are also resistant to Radiant damage, which means you are taking almost no damage in exchange for dealing damage without any save to everything around you in addition to the bonus when you hit. Now, flight is almost universally busted, but Scourge is way more useful than Fallen which instead of pinging any allies beside you instead forces them to make a DC 13+ save to be unable to move any closer to you.

Plus, the frightened effect is only until the end of your next turn while costing a full action to power up. I wouldn't cast that as a spell, and I certainly wouldn't get excited at all for it to be my special feature for playing the edgelord goth subrace over the giga-paladin or the Illidan expie.

Which means nothing for purchasing it instead of just downloading a copy. There's no real reason to have a copy of it at the table, and even if the fluff was absolutely genre-defining, just read that shit at home from a pdf instead of forking over money to learn about the mating habits of kobolds or the menstrual cycles of hags.

Great for a download, but not for a hard copy. It's a book that, except for some very iffy racial options, is pretty much exclusively for DMs to use for encounter building.

Just wish we'd gotten deva instead of aasimar.

4fags pls go

Aasimar is more interesting then Deva.

Also, is YuanTi pureblood not the most BROKEN OP race in the game now?

>everyone is a player and not a DM
>no one buys things just to support their niche hobby
VGM is great and worth paying for for the dollar influence it pushes on Wizards alone.

>giving money to WizKids
You can't fool me, Kike Mearls.

As a DM it's super nice to not have to flip between a bunch of different pdfs (maybe not now that I've got a massive 4k monitor) and can just slap it all out over a table

Magic resistance is really amazingly good but I wouldn't call it broken. The RP restrictions are pretty heavy.

>a bunch of different PDFs
>there are literally two books

Go back to Banned, Vert.

I agree Devas were pretty shit as "divine characters" but aasimar are just the dullest shit ever.