MTG LEGACY GENERAL

New and Improved Edition

Thread Rules:
1) Names are allowed for denoting what deck you play
2) Ignore shitposters
3) Don't turn into the Modern General
4) No counterfeit discussion, either for or against. Don't bring them up. Period.

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Blood Moon Stompy variants
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)
>Deadguy Ale
>Landstill
>Affinity
>Oops, All Spells
>Tin Fins

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Non-Eldrazi Moon-less Stompy variants
>Spanish Inquisition
>Ux Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/snake-stompy/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ubr-flashback-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nourishing-lich-2k16/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shardless-rats/
shop.tnielsen.com/Playmats_c57.htm?page=all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I should be around tomorrow night. I got XMage installed so we should be able to play.

getting like a foot of snow or some shit. glad i didn't drive down to fenton today.

We're supposed to be getting some snow here in New England too. I'll probably be working from home tommorrow, which means I'll really be shitposting and playing MTGO.

i sold my modo collection to cardhoarder for a surprisingly good rate so no modo for me.

What's today's topic Cap'n?
Does anyone here have a list for Junk Stoneblade?

>guy
Why user?

Who else here loves casting shardless agent? (Or pitching it to force of will?) I think it's the most fun card in legacy. So far the only decks I have played with it are shardless bug and aluren, but I was wondering if anyone had any spicy lists that run the best 2 for 1 in legacy.

Not excited for the next twelve hours.

By the way, I think I ran into some Trash Wizards guys on the border today. They were playing Modern (which displaced my Legacy tournament for the week).

Apropos of something in the previous thread, False Cure doesn't work against the Drills.

Casting Shardless is aight I suppose. Untapping with a Sylvan Library is cooler.

What I play
Dudes:
4x DRS
4x goyf
4x SFM
3x bob

Not-dudes:
4x abrupt decay
3x lingering souls
3x STP
2x inquisition
2x thoughtseize
1x toxic deluge
1x council's judgment
2x sylvan library

Power tools:
1x SoFI
1x jitte
1x batterskull

Lotv:
3x Lotv

Lands:
4x verdant catacombs
3x Windswept heath
2x Marsh Flats
2x Bayou
2x Scrubland
1x Savannah
1x Forest
1x Swamp
1x Plains
3x Wasteland
1x karakas

SB is meta dependant obviously but I use:
2x duress
2x hymn
2x choke
2x thalia
2x containment priest
2x surgical
1x needle
1x Krosan Grip
1x toxic deluge

Your deck looks really boring

Why doesn't false cure work against the drils? False cure creates a trigger after each copy of tendrils, right? So I lose two, opponent gains two, then opponent loses four, repeat for storm count. End result it i lose two life, then my opponent loses two life for each storm count, so if I have more life than them, which is not unlikely against ANT or DDFT, it should kill them with storm triggers on the stack, right? Or am i missing something completely

>guy
>Why user?
because i'm not a death & taxes doll, of course.

>Why doesn't false cure work against the drils?
because false cure is a delayed trigger and state-based effects are checked after each item on the stack resolves. you'll lose the game before the lethal false cure trigger even goes on the stack.
drills resolves: drain 2 gain 2, life totals are 18 to 22. false cure triggers, lose 4, life totals are 18-18.
see there? you lose when lifetotals are checked after the tendrils resolves from the stack and you're at 0.

oh yeah a few of them were playing in a Modern IQ up there. Is the snow bad up there? It could be worse a little farther south here, but it was still enough to convince me to work from home. Which is fine with me. More MTGO.

I think you're right, but I'd like clarifiation on this. The one time I played against The Cure I think I just killed with Lab Maniac to be safe.

>I'd like clarifiation on this

see

He's exactly right. Each copy of tendrils resolves on its own, and false cure will trigger after each of them, each copy will read effectively "you and target opponent lose 2 life". Whoever has more life will win but if you're within 1 life point it could be a draw. And even better, ANT doesn't play counters - so if you spike them with it there is nothing they can do except die to their own drills.

...now I'm thinking about siding false cure against reanimator lists
>grislebrand swing? Sure, false cure, gain 7 lose 14 gg

>ANT doesn't play counters
Flusterstorm says hi.

false cure isn't double-reverse-lifelink. if you drop to 0 at any point where state-based effects are checked you lose immediately and false cure never even triggers.

>each copy will read effectively "you and target opponent lose 2 life"
stop spreading bad info.
Target opponent loses two life and you gain two life
THEN IF NOBODY WAS AT ZERO LIFE AFTER THIS RESOLVES
false cure trigger is put on the stack

This is true, but storm decks notoriously deal a lot of damage to themselves, and The Cure can pump out damage as well. When you cast tendrils for, say 10 storm, you get 10 copies of it, and each copy resolves seperately. After each copy, false cure says "hey, someone just gained life" and puts a trigger onto the stack before the next copy resolves. If you're both at 20, yeah, you die, your opponent lives, if they just Ad Nauseum'd down to six, then they're going to die while there are still seven tendrils triggers on the stack.

Source: becoming a judge is hard in rural Australia, but I'm working on it

Also, as much as I want more people to play false cure, I feel like you should put more versatile cards in your sideboard as opposed to the most silver bullet.

>becoming a judge is hard in rural Australia, but I'm working on it
i believe in you

Anyone here play Painter? I feel like it is one of the more rare decks to see actually

wait, like... judiciary public official?

just finished my first full xmage match. do people differentiate skill-levels on this (beginner/casual/serious)?

man that interface is weird but the sfx are comfy

i think the best way to do that would be to put in the description of your match that youre looking for a certain level of play.

found it! thanks

In paper, yeah. It's rough because once they know what you're playing (turn 2 onwards) there will always be a counterspell or swords for painter's servant. Even if you run 8 pyro/reb, they have more counters than you do. Even a bolt wrecks your day. Game 2 is even worse because surgical comes in so once your first painter is gone your game plan is jaya aggro. Not great.
If you have the cards, it's a blast as a sometimes deck to bring to tourneys out of the blue. It just isn't going to win consistently enough to be a main deck.

h...here i go

what deck is this?

Looks like a hybrid of eldrazi stompy and rip-helm combo.

it's not a deck, it's a meme

>there will always be a counterspell or swords for painter's servant
Wrong and even if so what? t1 moon wrecks 90% of the format. Ensnaring Bridge, Trinisphere and Koth pings deal with anything the combo or Moon doesn't.

I've played it. It's pretty good because it can lock a lot of decks out really quickly, and then get the combo kill to finish it. The biggest problem is a weak Miracles matchup. Contrary to the deck is generally going to be able to play through removal pretty well, with Goblin Welder being absolute insanity. The deck has a lot of tricks and room for tight play, so give it a try

How'd the memeing go?

ive never missed so many land drops in all my life

Fucking amazing. Have you thought about Leyline instead of/alongside RiP?

Currently jammed this into my eldrazi Stompy surprisingly to great success, love filtering out bad hits with reshaper. Hate it if you want (I understand). However with the greedy mana base of eldrazi it's basically free.

I'm thinking about getting myself something nice for the holidays. What do you guys think of the Terese Nielsen Guru playmats?

What did you replace for them? It actually sounds like a neat idea

You've made me hate eldrazi slightly less

Cut 1 spatial contortion, put endbringers in the sb (2) and put 1 warping wail in the sb (of 3). So far the copters mostly just suck up removal but usually that's enough, especially when reshaper is a huge threat

Get a custom playmat, it's the only way to go. InkedGaming is the best place to shop and make your own.

Sounds interesting, I'm going to try that when I have enough money. Smuggler's is fucking expensive and all the cool Eldrazi are dirt cheap, it makes no sense

random question, but how do you have the old bnoarders on everything? scince the last update or so everything seems to have the new one, like they were trying to make it look like mtgo or somthing.

no ya dingusit's just that pretty much all the magic judges in Australia live in capital cities, so I would have to drive six hours to get to my closest possible mentor.

idk just started using this today

i'm actually starting to think this game is pure garbage when you take out the human element.

Preferences -> Images -> "Fall back to plain image based rendering"
You might have to cycle it on/off a few times for it to sync properly.

>respond to wasteland with tutor
>opponent brainstorms
>takes two minutes
>concede and leave
yeah i'm real close to all done here. i can't take not playing at speed against an actual people.

so I'm ~9-3 in my online practice today, which sounds great except that I played against like 4 enchantress players and I've never seen a matchup so lopsided. I also played against this bizarro 4c Bloom Titan/Opposition deck with mystic snakes. I beat it barely

I prefer to play against humans face to face but I don't think it's garbage if you don't. What don't you like about playing online?

how are the ghost quarters treating you?

I completely agree. I have tried both mtgo and xmage and I just cannot stand it. the only thing I do now are the cube drafts, everything else just isn't as fun as when you aren't playing with a real person. It really is a different experience.

DDFT guy no time today either :(

Oh, I saw that option when i was in their earlier today. I didnt know thats what it did though. Thanks.
That the 'risk' of playing online. But do alos keep in mind, its a free program with servers that......leave a bit to be desired. So its not always the other player being slow. I love xmage though just because it lest me play whatever i want, from top teir to total jank. Most of the time I just pay in the middle with titan post though. And lose a bunch Its fun being able to play all the different legacy decks. Espically the really old ones like eva green or 4 land stompy. The thing I absolutely despise though are people than wont play you or kick you off their table because your win rate is low. Its like, dude, if you want suprsrs competition dont be a cheap dick and go to mtgo or something.

No worries m8 I'm not gonna have much time either. Tomorrow night is my weekly modern event so I won't be available. wednesday is my best bet.

If you don't mind me asking, what state in NE? I'm from RI

I'm from NH. Seems like a good chunk of us are from the northeast. Which makes sense because it has a reasonably stable legacy scene.

I'm in Indy myself, our legacy scene is...well maybe not burgeoning but we get enough to fire a 4-round event every week now.

Also should I try delver again this week, or go back to ANT? Is there a better third option for a meta with 3-4 miracles players?

DDFT has a good miracles matchup. What's the rest of the meta like?

It's pretty wide open among the tier 1-2 decks. There's usually 3-4 miracles players, one eldrazi player, 1-2 other stormfags, 1-2 guys on Lands, a burn player or two, sometimes the elves chick decides to play, I even saw someone bring MeatHooks two weeks ago and 3-1.

We only play once a month but we get 3-4 rounds to do so. I wish there was more but the threshold to get into the format is just too high casual to semi-competitive players to justify paying for.

Yeah, I know. Our shop allows people to play with proxies but charges an extra $2 per 10 proxies, which have to be in full color with updated oracle text.

So you can play a full 75 proxy deck, but it'll run you $20 to enter - meaning unless you 4-0 you're losing money.

Most decks run a few basics so that takes away from 75 and modern has some cross over in cards and most players have a few fetches from khans standard
Death and taxes is like 75% modern cards and then the lands are extremely expensive

The kicker in legacy really is the lands
[spolier] tabernacle [/spoiler]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't D&T have 0 reserved list cards?

Fuck it, we'll do it live!

"good"

Just because it has the best MU against the deck of the 3 main Storm decks in the format doesn't mean it has a GOOD MU against the deck.

It actually does have a "good" matchup against miracles. I'm not sure what sort of win percentage you'd consider "good" but i consider it a 60-40 matchup. I'd call that "good".

Duals

60-40 is optimistic. You need a LOT of things to go right to even get to 60-40, meaning you need to draw the right half of your deck. The pile that gives you the best chance at winning is a pass-the-turn pile with Shelldock Emrakul, and even that's not a guaranteed win if your opponent just has the Terminus or Karakas. If you waste too much time finding your 1-MD Decay to have a Storm pile Miracles will just keep accumulating countermagic to answer everything else.

dose D&T run duals? I thought the deck was mano white. Or did it change?

He's talking about RW DnT which is not nearly as consistent, even if it is moderately more powerful. White Weenie DnT is still the best build.

Elfball, how do i do?

Step 1, sell out of Elves
Step 2, build a DRS deck

60-40 may be a bit optimistic, and I'm sure I'd find my win percentage decreases sharply against the best miracles players. But from experience, I consider the matchup favorable, if difficult. I've played a fair amount vs miracles and my win rate is positive. It's not totally clear to me how much play skill factors into my record against it. But strictly based on my win percentage vs the deck, I'd put it around 60-40. Also, I think a lot of ANT players consider the matchup to be even or slightly better, and only TES finds it to be unfavorable.

1) Build a good deck
2) Don't build elfball

1) Spend 600 dollars on Gaia's Cradles
2) Never win anything relevant

DDFT guy in luck, I have time for 1 round if you're up for it, but only if we start in like 5 minutes.

Just got back from weekly Monday night legacy (12 this week) copter over performed in eldrazi Stompy. It's definitely staying in now.

Pic un related

That's sweet to hear actually (the copter in the deck). I really wanted to see if it had what it took to get into legacy because of how much I love the card

Exquisite choice brother.
I ordered myself online last night. Are you going to get the art which represents the most powerful color in magic?

Played weekly legacy tonight. Went 4-0-1 lost in the final round, but it doesn't matter because we prize split. I wanted my damn platinum angel. Infect with standstill is the nutter butters. Those cards, those delicious, delicious cards.

Matchups were: 4c fairness.dec, Burn, blood moon stompy, aluren, and grixis delver. Overall a good night.

Natural Order into Craterhoof, fold to combo.

Infect with Standstill? Sounds spicy. List?

Just noticed this, sorry I missed you senpai. I went to sleep minutes before you posted that.

Bump.

Post lists

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/snake-stompy/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ubr-flashback-2/

I'm torn between U R and B, I think they're all amazing but I'm not sure if I wanna be the guy turning up to my kitchen table and EDH games with a Mono-U playmat.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nourishing-lich-2k16/

But this deck could be so much better with actually good creatures...

You don't need good creatures when you have chalice, trinisphere and choke.
I haven't tested this deck at all

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shardless-rats/
FML I should have pre-ordered leovolds

WHAT THE FUCK. When did those came out and where do I buy them?

shop.tnielsen.com/Playmats_c57.htm?page=all

>shop.tnielsen.com/Playmats_c57.htm?page=all

>that Sydri Playmat

HNNNNNNGG

I love the guru lands art, but I'm not feeling that black border on one side.Not sure what they should replace it with, but it kind of ruins it for me.

I would assume something has to be there to preserve the aspect ratio. I think that's where the signature goes if you pay the extra $2.

>dat descendant's path
I never should have traded my foil, even if it was useless, it was beautiful.

Bump.

What's the craziest win you've ever pulled off?

When I was a wee lad, around the time Ravnika 2 electric boogalo was legal in stand. So I was an idiot and invested into a rat tribal deck that was technically legacy due to an inclusion of 2 crypt rats. I was bumming at the card shop and found some people playing magic and asked if I could play a game with them, and the guy was running D&T.
I had a very consistant early play of the 1 drop rats, into ravenous rats or pack rats and ended up really putting on the tribal beats with a turn 4 Obelisk of Urd. I think what really sealed the game was flashing in Dictate of Erobos after putting a typoid rat in front of his batterskull.

once, before I got my fourth trop, I was playing main deck dryad arbor instead. in game three against grixis control, I kept an ok 6 with dryad arbor in it. I played it turn one and ended up killing my opponent with it.