EDH/Commander General

Fun Cards edition

Previous thread: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Thread question:

What is your pet card that you can't seem to cut?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-12-16-GfJ-ghave/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/azamimanga-daioh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wort-10/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-12-16-Hrq-momir-vig/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zombie-recur/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/literally-just-creatures/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pet card I can not cut

Still cutting from my Ghave brew:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-12-16-GfJ-ghave/

What is your pet card that you can't seem to cut?
That would be Boonweaver Giant for the sick Pattern of Rebirth combo into Karmic Guide/Reveillark loop

This looks like an amusing combo piece.

this looks really gross with ghave

>It's OK, I can attack the untapped Boros player because he's only got one card and no blo-OHSHIT

Every deck

A personal favorite of mine.

Every deck with even the smallest amount of red

last thread was almost over when I posted so, most of my decks are pretty casual theme decks, and I hate the color blue, so a while back I decided to make the most blue deck I could as a a sort of know your enemy approach. I went from hating blue to having fun with it, but I want to fine tune it a little bit more, but i'm not really sure what else I could add. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/azamimanga-daioh/

this plus Krak's Thumb plus Chance Encounter

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wort-10/

Thoughts? Just built the list. Needs some work

>Be Omnath player
>Vedalken Orrery and Minds Eye on the table
>Opponent is playing pre-Atraxa superfriends (wanna say Roon, not super sure) with doubling season on the table
>Store asshole
>They draw, I Minds Eye topdeck pic related
>He slams an Ugin on the table like he's hot shit
>"In response to that ETB, I flash in Primal Command. Put Ugin on top of your library and shuffle your yard into your library."
>"Well I don't have a graveyard, so I don't have to shuffle."
>herewefuckinggo.bmp

10 minutes later he's scooping and leaving in a huff, muttering about "cute" decks.

That deck is now Omnath, PC, and 98 cards, as far as I'm concerned.

Moggcatcher, Warren Instigator, Legion Loyalist, Goblin Charbelcher, Staff of Domination.

Bedlam is super fun too

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-12-16-Hrq-momir-vig/

Thanks to that user who advised me on land and ramp. Shit's good now.

nameless inversion/blades of velis vel

Did he activate the Ugin before you cast Command? Because he would've had priority when Ugin resolved. Still a sick play.

How has Vedalken Heretic worked for you? Seems like it's pretty mediocre on paper.

also boggart shenanigans

Nah, it was in response to it entering the battlefield and walkers activate at sorcery speed.

That's not a thing

You can't respond to something "entering the battlefield" unless a triggered ability is put on the stack when that thing enters the battlefield

Otherwise it works like this:

>thing resolves
>active player gets priority
>nothing on stack so they can cast sorceries or activate pw abilities etc

I don't mean to come off as a rules lawyer or anything, but for future reference: You can't respond to something entering the battlefield. When Ugin resolves, his controller gets priority first. Since nothing's on the stack and it's a main phase (presumably), he can plus or minus Ugin. Only once he activates Ugin and passes priority can you cast Command in response.

He's pretty alright early game if I get him. I haven't really gotten the opportunity to try much else out with him. I'm thinking of replacing him with Archetype of Imagination to combo off of Leviathan and because my friend keeps winning off of me with Wonder in his graveyard.

Oh shit, yeah you're right. I just looked into it.

Welp. That's a bummer. Still love the card.

To be fair, he probably would have reacted the same way if I did it to his doubling season. Guy was a cock.

Nope, you're right. Knowing the rules isn't rules lawyering. My bad guys!

Makes me sad, though. I loved that story.

Now that I think about it, folks at the table probably knew, they just hated that guy, and since he was so adamant about arguing about the graveyard thing, they kept quiet.

Archetype is good. If graveyard stuff is a problem you may want to put in a Relic or something because you have literally nothing to stop a grave-based axis of play.

Fair point. I think Ooze is the only graveyard solution I have

OK guys, any tech for this baller? I'm running it lantern control, hand control, and generally just attempting to remove as many answers and win conditions from their deck while killing them as grindily as possible

Glimpse the unthinkable, mind funeral, etc

bottomless pit + library of leng is backbreaking

Need some help, lads.
I haven't played magic in years and don't have many cards to play around with. Bought an Eldritch moon fatpack and pulled an emrakul.
How do I turn this into a fun edh deck so I can finally play with my friends?
Preferably without dropping more than $50.

Pet cards don't have to be bad, do they?

Obviously tech against Elixer and the like that auto-reshuffle grave into the deck. If you're lucky you can snipe the Elixer/Tech with Circu's ability and make it a dead card anyway.

Emrakul is hard because you're restricted to colorless stuff, which tends to drive up the price. Mono-wastes manabase should hurt less than the standard suite of utility lands. Other than that just use a bunch of mana rocks and Mind's Eye effects. Also check out edhrec if you haven't.

Fuck, you're making me want to build this guy now. Let me know how your list turns out.

My friend did a cool 5 color emerakul eldrazi tribal deck that turned out fun

Sadistic Sacrament
Memory Lapse

5 color how? Emrakul's color ID is colorless.

Play extract its good

Why not just run Telepathy?

He asked if it was cool to play the 5 color emerakul deck he made and everyone said yes

Ah, that's pretty sweet.

Every. Single. Deck.

>Hey guys mind if I cheat?
>Nah man go right ahead.

I'm not doing mill

Oooh,smart

So far its incredibly fun, takes alot of thought and is fun in the fact that you know exactly what they're going to do

Thanks!

ghastlord of fugue is pretty good if they tutored for something

I do, and seers vision, zurs weirding, wandering eye, etc

Field of Dreams?

Can our pet cards be our commander?
>easy: Cromat
No? Ummmm...
>Sword of Fire and Ice?
Pet card, not staple? Well shit
>Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker
He's like a Flametongue Kavu that retriggers his own EtB and is good at assassinating other planeswalkers.

>being autistic instead of having fun

post a list when you have it relatively fleshed out, if you can. you have the interest of many.
also
breathstealer's crypt

There's a thin line between " house rules" and taking liberties and just raping the rules of the game. Im sure your group allows planeswalkers as commanders too, or plays with 20 infect damage

Yeah, I got an italian one for 15 bucks

Nope, lol

my group plays with infect at 20 and I fucking hate it

Once it gets to the point of consistent wins, I'll be sure to post the list, nebuchadnezzar is my #2, as he is incredibly fun at the helm as well.

Oh, ive got that spicy tech. Amazing card, honestly.

Well at least you're doing something right. I don't want to sound like fun police, honestly, it's just frustrating when I've BEEN there and wanted to do 5 color ulamog/koz/em but wasn't able to due to color identity rules. I want to impose the whole"colorless" thing on eldrazi decks because I feel as if that's really what makes them special in our format. Sorry to seem rude.

My condolences, I'm sure you've heard of my old meta where my friends now ex-girlfriend ran oloro and had a major superiority complex because as she would say: "my playgroup at my uni thinks commander damage is a silly and useless mechanic used only in edh to power up voltron decks, so we don't use it"

Post em, rate em, talk about em

My only regret about having six black decks is lacking a adequate supply of Necropotence for each of them.

It usually gets a reread when I announce I'm drawing 6+ cards.

Can you please explain mishras hidden power to me, I'm pretty new, but ive heard you can abuse him

I have one of the old Deckmaster foil ones in my teysa deck, and I pulled one out of an eternal masters pack last night.

Why have I never seen this played

MVP with noyan dar.

He combos with cards such as Possibility storm, Nether void, etc. Just stack the triggers so that Mishra's ability resolves last, that way you can search the artifact you cast back from your yard or library.

Because it's bad? Gravehate is pretty common in every deck, and getting bog'd after playing that will be a shitty way to lose the game.

Because losing to Bojuka Bog sucks.

Honestly, getting stuff out of your yard is pretty damn easy. That card is high risk low reward.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zombie-recur/

Any thoughts/suggestions for this deck? I think I got sorta the gist of her but some advice on what combos to use would be nice.

Can't you also just shuffle your library whenever you cast an artifact spell?

What's the most flavorful card you can think of?

I absolutely adore this card, and quite honestly I'm considering a human tribal deck because of it.

:^)

Unpopular opinion, I know, but I actually like ludevic for what he is, and im even trying out ludevic and kraum at the head of an izzet legends deck. Pretty fun so far, and the foil is beautiful.

It's also a wincon if you play some incidental fateseal effects like hinder

One of my pet cards. I love it.

Ludevic's not terrible. At least he functions as a card.

>Using that art and not glorious gix art

Get out

I prefer the Western Paladin's flavor text. Sorry.

I might appreciate the Gix version if I had read the older books but I never got around to it.

>playing against Aurelia as endrek, also in game is Doran
>pretty early I drop pic related
>get looks by table
>you'll all see. Jpg
>every time I tap the tomb, I say woefully "pour one out for urami" as I ping myself for damage
>table rights me off as memeing
>Doran gets blown out by aurelia pretty early, didn't have ways to deal with fliers I guess
>I've had my creatures wiped due to red damage "boardwipes" . Cast aetherworks marvel with 0 creatures on the field
>aurelia player smiles as she swings with her commander with THREE combat phases, and two boros angels
>I smile, pay 4 mana and tap the tomb of urami to sac all lands I control (while also putting around 8 counters on aetherworks) and block aurelia first combat, clobbering her to death with urami.
>"OK, second combat femanon, who do you want to swing with? "
>urami sits, ready to fuck up remaining angels
>"no attackers for second and third combat'

Fucking love tomb of urami, especially against aurelia. This has happened twice so far, and both against aurelia.

**writes me off for memeing

My bad, it's late

She sounds like an absolute cunt.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/literally-just-creatures/

Don't know if I built this guy correctly, what do you guys think? Tried to just put ramp non permanents in as well as a Beast Within for some safety. But really the rest of the deck is just creatures with some artifacts and enchantments.

Nothing better than revealing a Emrakul with Rob

She was, but mostly just dumb.

Didn't understand commander ,although claimed to be really good at playing. She wanted to be "one of the guys" but managed to alienate herself horribly.

She ran oloro, cloudhoof kirin mill, and horobi.

You'd better have a sweet-ass Urami token.

You guys wanna hear the best story about breaking rules in commander?

There was this guy that played competitive edh at all the local tourneys. He played Derevi and combo'd off all the time with the deck. This was back when Partial Paris was the mulligan rule for edh.

Once the mulligan rule got switched to Vancouver mulligan he literally quit edh and made a new "format" where the only difference was 30 life, partial paris mulligan, and the same card pool as modern.

All because he couldn't partial Paris and perfectly sculpt his hand to combo off turn 2.

Not that cool, but I like it.
Forgot to write "legendary creature " but w/e it works.

Glad to hear he isn't playing edh anymore

>Tfw people still ask if partial is OK

It's also annoying when people think that the mulligan rule is the same as Modern or Standard where you shuffle your whole deck back together and they just start shuffling up and you gotta explain to them how Vancouver works.

Is sin prodder good for anything?

At least her other decks were pretty unique.

my playgroup still plays with partial paris.

Thanks. Any other spicy deck tech you would recommend?

rakdos infect

Because the only good way to play it is to give it away with Bazaar Trader

Digging it, user

Uh...

Too bad it's blue

This card is top shelf, really need to find the magus version for my Azami deck

Vancouver is how modern and standard work, you shuffle your deck together

What you mean is you explain special Sheldon Mulligan where you just draw the next 7

We do one free partial lol

i think it's kinda silly because it's OP compared to mulligan, no real reason to mulligan because the first partial is free

But on the other hand I think we all have more fun when everybody has better opening hands so I'm okay with it