Worldbuilding

Redneck sword and sorcery

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1QtqNCPdY7Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lame.

Here's a rule, Non-humanoids are only interesting as big beasts or hives.

youtube.com/watch?v=1QtqNCPdY7Q

Bump. I gave u guys an idea, now start building.

add ideas to this post

>realms
>biomes
>organisations
>people
>religion
>unique professions, classes
>locations
>items
>magic
redneck swamp wizards
>monsters
weregators

Okay, just out of idle boredom, lets go through types of Redneck for inspiration purposes:

Appalachian Hillbilly Mountain Man
Everglades/Georgia/SC Spooky Swamp Man
Midwestern Rural God-fearing Dirtfarmer
South-Western Big Hat Rancher/Entrepreneur
South-Eastern Old Money Plantation Gentry
North-Western Frontiersman/Woodsman Isolationist
"Revival," oriented near-Militant Religious Zealot
"Blue Collar," Industrial Resource Extraction worker
"Mom and Pop," legacy local business owner in rural community
"Shall Rise Again," sovereign citizen anarchist who believes whitewashed history which erases his ancestors wrongdoings
Truckers. Just... truckers. And maybe certain flavors of Bikers. Anyone who hangs out in Roadhouses.

Did I miss any good stereotypes?

Not sure how redneck it is but up here in the Pacific Northwest we have homeless people that form like entire societies out in the woods. It's like weird congregations of wood elves except all white people. Also a certain class of people who move out here for total self-sufficiency.

Oh also just the homeless in general here. There's little tent cities (mostly meth addicts) in some areas. I remember I ran into a group of them under a bridge once. They were out luckily but I saw the camp.

Urban homeless do similar things. I see this group of backpackers occasionally.

Think that second one falls under North-Western Frontiersman/Woodsman Isolationist. Got those all over Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, and the rural parts of Oregon and Washington.

Crazy Wilderness Vagrant is an interesting archetype. I think that has some redneck in it, though it can also apply to other groups like Tragic Postwar Veteran.

Also I forgot Trailer Park Folk.

Trailer park folk are an interesting group. Only seen a few of them.

I feel like there just needs to be some reason for this redneck society to exist. The US in general is good for this kind of worldbuilding because it's huge and really diverse.

Also what about some of the border states? What about Sonoran rednecks?

how do i get better at rednecks if im not from america?

Every first-world country has rednecks. You just have to look for the traits, both positive and negative.

Independant spirit, traditionalist, small community and family oriented, rural, mainly lower-class income and lifestyle (with exceptions, see Southeastern Plantation Gentry), provincial etiquette but strict standards of hospitality, deeply (though often selectively) religious, deeply ingrained regional definitions of morality and honor, inclined toward xenophobia and bigotry but with a surprising capacity to accept integration into their fold if you can show you share and/or respect their values.

You take the good you take the bad you take them both and then you have... rednecks.

Sit Ubu, sit. Good Dog.

The wizards gain their powers from drinking moonshine. In order to curb the power of the wizards the authorities have banned distilling. Unwilling to give up the source of their power the wizards live deep in the swamps where they use their stills under moonlight.
Other wizards have taken to the mountains instead, where they make make mountain dew, the nature of the spirits effects the power of the wizards, so a swamp wizards will be different from a mountain wizards.

>items
Previously living things

cthulhu mythos mixed with voodoo is mandatory here

>magic
incestermancy

>It's like weird congregations of wood elves except all white people.

>implying Wood Elves aren't white

If you're Aus, just go with bogans.

You should check out the comic Hillbilly by Eric Powell, its basically what you describe, a kind of backwoods Conan.

Magicians root
Alchemical ingredient
DC 5(+1 per use) addiction chance
+1 int, -1 dex, -1 wiz
Duration 1 hour
Vision is blurred and hearing dulled
The user begins to "feel" stimulus around themselves making up for impaired senses.

Magicians moonshine
Alchemical potion
DC 5 (+2 per use) addiction chance
+2 int, -2 dex, -2 wiz
Duration 30 min
User becomes almost completely blind, speech requires DC idk check and an intense ringing roars within the users ears. User can transmit and receive basic information or commands (location, actions, ect) telepathically. The user can chose to give or withhold information however all incoming information is non voluntary and required. User can "feel" surroundings, environment, and organisms nearby (idk how far, help)

Addiction DC is cumulative between both
Addiction penalty is -2 int or something while not under the influence

Thoughts?

Wizard moonshine is a special magical brew, containing celestial energy captured in a strange, secret ritual. Such a drink glows with moonlight and is said to taste especially terrible.

should the setting perhaps be sword+gun and sorcery?

conan the barbarian in overalls?

why are wizards not authority in the first place?

voodoo why? it's negroid. would there be blacks in redneck sword and sorcery? also where is that pic from?

Ok so I tweaked some stuff
I was trying to stat out something similar DMT but I forgot that shit doesn't work the same in a fantasy setting. Let me try again

Magicians root
Typedrug, ingested; Addiction minor; Save Fortitude DC (something fair)

Effect (1d3 hour)
User gains the Blindsense special quality (Fair amount of feet), location psionic (I think? Pathfinder format is weird)

User gains low light vision special quality (maybe dark vision or scent idk)

User gains blind fight special quality

Effect (1d6 hour)
User gains the light blindness special quality, becoming blinded and sickened for 1 round if exposed to bright light, such as sunlight or the daylight spell, and dazzled for as long as she remains in areas of bright light.

User becomes partially deafend. He takes a –2 penalty on initiative checks, takes a -4 penalty on Perception checks based on sound takes a –2 penalty on opposed Perception checks, and has a 10% chance of spell failure when casting spells with verbal components.

Magicians moonshine is similar but with the upgrades of all the listed effects. (Blindsense to Blindsight, light blindness to blindness, ect.)

> it's negroid

Wait, I thought Miracle Max was pacifist... is this his evil twin?

There would be fewer blacks in appalachia, but it like louisiana and missouri they would be everywhere.