/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

Not the Constructs You're Looking For Edition

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread Are you ready to be disappointed by the Monk UA, /5eg/? What do you want that you know you won't get?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So why is D&D 5e better than Dungeon World?

It's got dragons.

>I want

A Drunken Master

>I know I won't get

A Drunken Master

I want me a Kensai, Monk fueled by rage/strength, and a drunken master. I don't get any of those.

Alright, my party's about to rescue the son of the city's Thieves Guild and get rewarded with a nice little cache of gold, a potion per person, and a modest permanent magic item per person, mostly coming from lordbyng.net/inspiration/tables.php

Armor for the paladin, weapons for the damage dealers, and a trinket for the caster sound like a good spread to keep everyone's stuff semi-relevant? Or mix it up a little and give the rogue a trinket, the paladin a weapon, etc

Basically, how do you determine what sort of magic items your party gets as treasure. Do you wishlist, randomly assign stuff, or tailor their gear to their role?

Because it isn't Dungeon World.

Poor form recycling bait like that

How does Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade work with Empowered Evocation/Elemental Savant? Does it get the bonus damage or is it considered an attack buff?

Also, if you were only going to take one ranged attack cantrip for your entire career, would you take Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, or Chill Touch?

I like this picture because Episode 4 was based on the plot of a film set in feudal Japan.

I little random, a little tailored and a little intentionally tailored to be ambivalent.

I started out by making sure everyone got something and I never have just a +X item, they always have something that stands out (which makes 5e attunment a bit of an issue) that gives the item a bit of character and history and gives the characters an option, a resource, to spend or to add to their box of tools.

I also try to make cursed items still have a use but debilitating cost, like "laughing in the face of danger" a mask that increases initiative, travel speed and dexterity but makes the cursed attuned impulsive and deplorable at wisdom checks and saves.

There's a bit of a paradigm/meta plot thing to the change in cursed items thanks to the inspiration of one of the characters concepts.

The Hidden Fortress, by Kurosawa is what you're referencing. Great movie.

$50 says we get at least one of those (probably kensai or drunken master).

>Implying

I think we can all agree that dnd, with the sole exception of 4e, is worse than pretty much everything.

My characters have done serious shit for the entirety of the campaign im running. They're finally getting to a capital city tonight and I want some R&R for them. Was hoping for some help with ideas.

So far I've got:
>Cooking competition
>Colosseum with gladiator duels
>Maybe some sort of magical experiment going awry
>A thieves guild

Any suggestions? Honestly the only one I'm super set on is the cooking competition.

It's taking place during a yearly festival. Shit is gonna get heavy again after the festival so I want this to be a respite.

>Booming Blade
Add to the initial damage, because the features you're referencing work once per spell after errata, and additionally say "when you cast a spell," and the secondary damage doesn't happen when you cast, it happens later.

>Green-Flame Blade
Add once to either the primary target or the secondary target.

>Fire Bolt
most damage, most resisted

>Ray of Frost
decent damage, common resist, good utility

>Chill Touch
decent damage, cuts off regeneration, has utility against undead, rarely resisted

I'd go Chill Touch unless I had a feature that benefited the others more.

I want a 4e remake, an acrobatic stunt based monk, and an improvised weapon based monk.

By 4e, I meant 4 elements, not a remake of the superior 4th edition. In case that wasn't clear.

I want a Sohei like monk (Monk able to use armors and weapons), I want a wot4e fixed and I want a Str based pugilist monk

New to 5e general, has anyone used the Engineer fan supplement at all? I ran one for a session and it was fairly fun.

Is a Dex + Firearms build with Firearm Master + Sharpshooter a decent idea, or should it just be all Int all the time?
Anyone found any cool uses for gadgets or ones that turned out to be useless? Personally got great use out of Firestarter, a flamethrower is kind of helpful to have around even if the damage is a little low.

It's better because combat is more interesting
It's worse because DW does things like bonds really well

Ideally, you'd train your players on a little DW and then shift to 5e

A a DM I wouldn't allow it since the gadgets are basically a bunch of additional spells I and the players would have to keep track of. That's not even touching balance, which is far trickier when it comes to a primarily utility based character. If there was some sore of digital aid I could use to search for a gadget, that would alleviate a lot of it, but my group is very averse to the kind of option paralysis presented by spellcasters and the like. I don't think either I or my players would enjoy it.

Shit like this is gay and bloated as fuck

Alright, so how about something along the lines of this, drawing from the aforementioned chart? These will be a little more directly useful since they are each character's first magic item, though still not just +X items.

>Paladin
Either Consecrated Longsword or Armor, which acts as a +1 item only when either attacking or being attacked by the Undead. Which will become very relevant in the second chapter of the campaign.
>Shaman
Good Medicine Pouch, which contains 4 weak charges of healing magic that heal for 1d4 and regains 1d4 charges at sunrise. Might additionally give it the ability to spend 1 charge to make a Medicine check with Advantage which would also become very relevant in the second chapter of the campaign.
>Spellslinger
Smouldering Revolver, can replace its damage type with Fire and gain +1 damage if he does so.
>Rogue
Kind of hung up on her. Maybe a Bloodthirsty Carbine that allows her to expend a Hit Die in order to turn it into a +1 weapon for 1d4 rounds. Or either armor or a trinket that gives a passive +1 bonus to Stealth or Initiative rolls. Or a Swift Carbine that is treated as a +1 weapon if they are first in initiative order.

>Group is very averse to the kind of option paralysis presented by spellcasters

You're everything that's wrong with this edition.

Looking over my DW pdf, I feel the bond system could be introduced to 5E fairly seamlessly, you just replace the current bond section on your sheet with a DW style one, maybe even cribbed straight from it.

That just looks like a headache of shit to track of. So much bloat.

You don't have too many gadgets and the ones you do have are pretty much all "use then short/long rest to recharge", like a Warlock. I didn't find it too tricky to keep track. It looks intimidating, but you pick whichever gadgets you want at chargen then add one or two every level, not too bad once you start playing.
I found myself doing a bit less damage than most of the others, and the utility tools are nice but not too insane.

Here's your (you). You may leave now.

>Point-based fencing competition that refreshingly changes the approach to combat
>Chariot race, with some monster pulling the chariot
>Beauty pageant, and characters can either participate or judge. The talent portion is fiercely competitive

It's not that I don't have any spellcasters, it's just that they use spells known (sorcs, warlocks, rangers) rather than spells prepared (clerics, wizards, paladins). In fact, I think the only spells prepared class played in our group was when our monk player ran a short-ish (start at 5th level, level up every 4 sessions) game where I played a pally.

What's an appropriate level for someone to get plate armor?

here, I guess I'll give it another look.

I'd say no later than 3, for fighters and paladins. It's sort of assumed they have a strong AC and they should get it by the time character roles become solidified.

Depends. I'd say whenever they can afford it. With that condition, it's now dependent on the setting, wealth, and relative power level of your adventurers / the campaign.

What do I *want* to get? Ehhh, non weeb monk stuff.

I'm pretty sure we'll see some version of a Drunken Master, Shaolin weapon wielder, and Kensai.

Whenever they can afford to buy it.

Reminder if your DM says 'A wizard appears at [fireball's maximum distance away], fireballs your entire party then runs away again, and then 12 soldiers appear and surround you' they're bullshitting you.

This is not how surprise works. Thirteen creatures could not have all passed their stealth checks unless they all have 'pass without trace' from a druid or shadow monk and have at a +3 or so to stealth combined.

Fairly new to DnD overall, and I'm wondering if finding magic items is fairly common? Majority of the party is hitting 4th level and we haven't got one between us, and AFAIK it's not a particularly low-magic setting.
Should we be fine without, or should I be looking to get some of my wargear enchanted or something?

Considering it costs 1500 gp, a PC might be able to afford one around 5th-6th level, or 3rd-4th level if the party pools all their money?

Just a real quick question, if I wanted to play a dwarven stone shaman what splats should I look in? Thanks in advance

Just play a dwarven cleric.

magic items are not required in 5e math so acquiring them should be rare.

I definitely disagree. Plate at level 3 is a little absurd, especially since there's no way that the Fighter or Paladin is buying it alone at that level. Splint, sure, but leave plate as something for the player to be able to get as an upgrade later on down like the line around 5-6.

This user's got it.

> dwarven stone shaman

Just like with every other concept, figure out what exactly you want to do first (what abilities make a dwarven stone shaman). Find the class / archetype that can do that. Find the feats that can help do that.

Pick those options, and call yourself a Dwarven Stone Shaman.

The Elemental Evil Player's Companion has a lot of earth-based spells. They're mostly on the druid, sorcerer, and wizard lists.

Ehhhhh, it is an option. Is there not a spirit shaman class in this edition?

>It's worse because DW does things like bonds really well

Except it doesn't. The bonds are prepackaged bullshit and are flat-out worse than AW's Hx mechanic.

Also:

> implying the characters should know each other before the adventure starts 100% of the time

DW crams so many assumptions and other crap down your throat that you are constricted by it.

Well, with this you can very literally play a Dwarven Stone Shaman.

> any new mechanics are bloat and are ruining this absolutely perfect game

So I am looking at the Aasimar options in Volo GtM, and the Scourge Aasimar looks pretty crap. I mean fallen isn't great either, but Scourge causes you to hurt yourself each turn, which seems pretty crap as an ability.

But that specific homebrew is bloated af.

It varies. You may find none in your whole career without breaking the game. Published adventures tend to be a little more generous with useful magic items than the random treasure table is. But if you don't find magic items in dungeons, you're almost certainly not going to find anyone who will sell or make them for you. By default you can't find anyone unless the DM makes special allowance for it.

That is exactly what I want! And this legit content, not some homebrew?

what is good about warlocks

I literally can't see it
just be a cleric instead

Check the Druid UA, shepherd might be what you are looking for

This is 5e.
You shouldn't be throwing magic items at players willy-nilly, 5e isn't designed like that.

Magic items should be meaningful rather than direct upgrades to stats. 'You deal +1d4 damage' or 'it's a +1 weapon' or anything like that is incredibly uncreative.

I'd recommend -
Items that have dubious, but limitless utility. Jug(?) of alchemy allows you to create lots of mayonnaise every day, or other liquids. Just imagine the things you could do.
Items that have downsides for power. Yes, it might be a +XdY damage weapon, but holy shit you do not want to trigger the bad effect on it, if you even know what it is.
Key to the story. A powerful sword is good, but perhaps not permanent. You may have to sacrifice the legendary weapon to prevent a catastrophe. If your party is too greedy and keeps it? Well, they'll get a good reminder that a D&D world is dynamic.

Personally, I like to throw out all sorts of assorted bits and pieces. The party members can decide if things are useful or not, or come up with creative uses for things.

They're much more common than they should be in most campaigns.
If you're level 4 and you haven't got any, that should be perfectly fine, but you should encounter one sooner or later if your DM isn't looking to bore you.

Bread user here (now dming)
Had a small session, getting into the groove of things.
Had my tiefling warlock player meet his 4 year old younger sister (they don't know they are related)
Another party member showed up with the deck if cards magic item, and being a 4 year old orphan tiefling, played along
She announced she would take 4 cards
In order
She gained 10,000 xp ( and already had the innate ability to influence gravity/magnetism)
Spawned the avatar of death
Killed avatar of death
Gained a 4th level tiefling fighter servant, which she tides around with on his shoulders, ( she holds onto his horns)
And pulled the demon card that makes powerful friend hunt her down
What should I do with the little girl now?
10k xp
Gotta make a bunch of stuff for a gravity sorc

Player character wRlock pulled the ruin card. ( Does that only take away money and property or stuff like clothes and nonmagical items too?)
Then pulled the throne card, so he gained ownership of a castle near the spine of the world
Deck fizzled after that.

Learning that putting party members in cqc combat in small rooms is fun, because our mages can't just aoe mooks without hurting themselves.

How do I deal with players that show up inconsistently? Especially if the groups cleric only shows up 1/2 the time?
I want to run challenging dungeons, but I don't want to have to Deus ex machina a party because cleric didnt show up that week.
Need advice on travel rules, party has to make the journey from what amounts to south Australia to North Europe.

I made a desert encounter from scratch, it's a mummy Lords tomb, with traps and false rooms( made a new enemy called room mimics) I don't know if I should wait to throw it at the party or not (at max members it's 7 people ranging from lvl8 to 11)
The monster xp I added up is about 40k
The dungeon boss is a mummy Lord.
Feedback is appreciated. Thanks 5eg

>What do you want that you know you won't get?
Reaping Mauler or some other Grappling-based Monk.

>3: Gain Proficiency in Athletics, or Expertise if you already have it. You can make a Grapple attempt using your Reaction if an enemy moves out of reach, strikes you with a melee weapon attack, or casts a spell within 5 feet of you.

>6: Bonus action against a Grappled target to deal damage equal to your Martial Arts die and knock them Unconscious (Con save only avoids Unconscious) for one minute; costs 1 Ki. Your speed is not halved while Grappling.

>11: At your option, Grappled creatures automatically take bludgeoning damage equal to your twice your Martial Arts die each round. This damage does not wake Unconscious enemies and does not benefit from damage vulnerabilities from any source.

>17: Using your Action, spend up to 5 Ki on a Grappled creature. The target makes a Strength saving throw, but the DC is increased by the number of Ki you spend. They take 1d10 bludgeoning damage per Ki spent if they fail, or half if they succeed. On a failure, they gain vulnerability to physical damage until they finish a long rest, and their movement speed is permanently halved.

I know Strength still isn't a good stat for Monks and they have no means of giving themselves advantage on checks, so if this still seems shit from a lockdown perspective then maybe a level 3 feature that allows the Monk to use their Dex (Wis?) modifier in place of Strength for Athletics checks related to grappling.

>Scourge
I think that's to balance the fact it's a racial area damage ability. Against a sufficient number of creatures, it's powerful, and you have resistance to the damage type as an aasimar.

>Fallen
Part of the benefit is they have a better stat spread. Str/Cha is more likely to be useful than Wis/Cha for example.

It's homebrew.

Short rest casting with a lot of at-will stuff via invocations. They're actually pretty good past level 11, when hardly anyone is still playing.

Scourge is my favorite thematically of all of them. Works fantastically with classes than can easily generate THP, small amounts of healing, or can just afford to soak it. Dive right in, get bonus damage on your attacks each turn, and burn enemies in your holy wake.
The only shitty and very dangerous part is that it doesn't shut off if you fall unconscious, meaning you need someone to heal you up or continually stabilize you for a minute as you melt yourself down.

Anything from DM's Guild is non-official.

Bread user, please either learn the English language or adopt a trip so people can filter your horrific posts.

Warlock:wizard::champion:paladin
They're an option for new players and little kids who want to play a magician but can't handle the complex rules of a full caster. They get the best cantrip in the game and they can basically get by just shooting shit with it. If you don't see the appeal, then it's not for you.

Cool. Party is chugging along fine anyway, I was just wondering if we were screwed if we came across something that we "should" have magic to fight.
So far party is my shooty Fighter, a paladin with dual pistols who is essentially a warhammer fantasy Witch Hunter, a Bard, an edgy monk and a Cleric obsessed with Thunderwave.

Not really been many dungeons at all, really. Mostly running around in a city shooting up a daemon cult. Turns out silver fragments + powder bomb does them in fairly well :)
Probably going to have some sort of cool boss next session, I'll ask the DM if magics will be turning up at all.

Of course it isn't official.

Reaping Mauler was so shitty. It wasn't even a grappling prestige class, it was a grappling-avoidance prestige class. Definitely don't use that as inspiration.

At will silent image, levitate, disguise self, and familiar bullshit tricks.

They're a complicated class hidden behind the simplicity of eldritch blast. If you don't see the appeal, they aren't for you.

If he's a good dm he won't tell you.

Fuck, why is the 1 class I really want to play gone
I guess I'll try to fluff something as what I'm looking for. Thanks everybody

Or, you just talk to the DM like a human being and ask if he'll let you play it.

Why is /5eg/ so autistic sometimes?

> a 4 year old character shows up with a 'legendary' magical item
>and uses it
>a magical item that can potentially literally undo all of reality

I honestly bet he would let me, but this is going to be my first time running in 5th, so I'd like to just play "by the books", y'know?
that isn't to say I'm not autistic as fuck

Consider asking your DM to let you use the shaman homebrew (with tweaks if they want), or as you said take cleric or druid and refluff it slightly.

I gave my barbarian an axe of fish command (as the trident). It wasn't particularly useful except when it allowed them to get food quickly. Except that one time when they were sieging the BBEG's castle and he got hordes of giant octopi to tear his minions to shreds outside the gates.
Best magic item ever.

Why stat up something you're hoping to get in an hour?

A party member offered the girl to pick cards
Not the 4 year old showed up with the deck
It says it right there

Just trying to imagine features for a grappling Monk. And now I'm five minutes closer to the UA.

That sounds like a pretty cool party desu. And there is almost nothing you NEED magic to fight, except some creatures resist nonmagical weapons. But remember that a Sword of Whistling Annoyingly is still technically a magical weapon.

Elemental player's companion has some nice earth/stone spells for the druid. A circle of the land druid would work nicely, I would think.

Part of me wants to say that anyone who wants to play a sorcerer should play a wizard first so they can at least play with more different spells to figure out which ones actually work well for them, and part of me thinks that no one would be able to stand playing a sorcerer after playing a wizard.

>unless they all have 'pass without trace' from a druid or shadow monk
Or a ranger! Update the meme. It's now 12 rangers.

Oh
That makes it even worse, knowingly giving a child an item that could
A) Turn them into a clothless, broke person who has to work as a stripper for money
B) Lock their soul away in a place where not even 'wish' can save them.
C) Grant them several wishes
D) Allow them to make anything they want never have existed.
E) Etc.

Sorry about the awful grammar.
I'm posting on my lunch break.
I'll do more in the future to work on that.
Stupid phone
I, as the dm had to respect the player characters decision to do that, right?
I can't just tell him he can't do that?

Excellent, and since we mixed in some of the Engineer stuff for my fighter so I could use firearms (Essentially, we swapped the Eldrich Knight stuff for Engineer gadgets and sorted some other stuff, been working well) my gadgets count as magic once I hit 6 anyway.

Probably some form of homebrew heresy, but it's been working well. Nice to have a character with more than 10 HP for once, normally play casters.

>Elemental Evil Player's Companion has 43 new elemental-themed spells
>ZERO of them are for Clerics
>the class with elemental-themed archetypes
>and elemental-themed gods
>who are related to the elemental-themed enemies present in the campaign this supplement is about
>but aren't mentioned anywhere in either
How do you even drop the ball this hard? I guess we can kiss anything like a Dark Sun supplement goodbye if WotC is going to forget Clerics can shoot fire, sand, or water without having to stick holy beams in all of it.

Nobody likes Clerics, nobody likes Sorcerers and really nobody likes Rangers.

Enjoy your no-supplements. Wizards and Barbarians 4 dayyyyzzzz

>The only even quasi-elemental official domain is tempest
Chill. Perhaps if they add more in the future, they'll give them domain spells.
Then again, they seem to be avoiding having splats reference each other, since they've reprinted the Svirfneblin feat in SCAG and that one water spell with tritons in Volo's.
Also, how do you think WAY OF THE FOUR ELEMENTS MONK felt?

Here, ask your DM if you could go Druid Circle of Land with these spells

3rd: earthbind, Maximillian's earthen grasp
5th: Erupting earth, Meld with stone
7th: Fabricate, Stone shape
9th: Passwall, Transmute Rock

I think that does a stone shaman pretty well.

If it's completely out of character (A lawful good paladin that knows what it is and doing that, which is potentially chaotic evil or just chaotic stupid) then you can intervene and ask them to justify their actions.

.. But the real problem is giving characters of middling or lower levels items of ridiculous power unless you're looking for a joke campaign.

What time do uas generally get released? I want to plan my disappointing day.

>really nobody likes Rangers.
WotC worked so much in their rework, so I disagree

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions

Keep an eye on this URL.

In about an hour.

Wtf octupi arent fish u fgt

Chaotic neutral warlock had the deck
I'm basically taking over my dead friends campaign as he passed away recently
I'm slowly working out ways to make the party more balanced and get rid of stuff like that.

The Light domain has a feature (their Channel Divinity) that does Radiant damage, but just about all their domain spells and features are FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE.

Nature domain is a pretty easy sell for any non-fire element, too.

>Kensei
Well everyone called that.

Just going by the names, I'm bored already.

>only two
lel

What odds that the tranquility will have anti-undead abilities?

>only two
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Tranquility is going to be a healing Monk.

Could I get some advice here? What class would I benefit out of the most for a multiclass?

Woo, probably another Pacifist monk, or else the memetastic anti-undead. I'm so excited. I just can't hide it.

Either that or it will have a pool of dice it can use to heal teammates.

Give me your character portraits, /5eg/.
I will make an art project out of one of them to fill the time until the UA arrives.

>you can use an action and expend 1 charge to cast dominate beast (save DC 15) from it on a beast that has an innate swimming speed.
D&D got no time for taxonomy