/pfg/ - Pathfinder General

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Fun with Templates edition.
What weird mosnters with Templates applied to them have you used or encountered

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/
donjon.bin.sh/world/
cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142
cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48
inkwellideas.com/free-tools/random-city-map-generator/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The ranger preferred he not be put in danger because it would have been 4 on 1. He came up with what he thought was the best way to kill them without putting himself in bodily harm, because if he died his wife/son definitely weren't coming back.

He was thinking along those lines.

First for PCs that actually have a stake in the state of the campaign region.

People keep telling me about two-headed bifurcated snakes.

Is there anyone that actually uses Experience?

In all of the tables I've been a part of, we've always used Milestones, or having it be at the whims of the GM. Even as a GM, I prefer milestones: I can throw more encounters at a party of X level without worrying about them levelling up at an inopportune moment.

Sure, sometimes they level up sometimes slower (sometimes faster) than they would otherwise, but it's a comfier system for storytelling.

Begone, monster.

I don't so much think it's about having a stake in a region, but having a stake in events. Foreigners can care about things effected by the campaign besides the region.

One need not be from Avistan to be a scholar of the Thassilonian sin mages and want to investigate further.

But user, its a Dragon-thing. I thought you'd Jump at the chance for an OP with a dragon-thing

Our GM uses milestones. Sure, there might be some XP calculation in there, but I trust him to keep everything balanced, so we just level up after we finish one thing and before we move on to another, usually when we have a week off or something.

REMOVE MOG REMOVE MOG

In this case, should the ranger have given them warning? Should he have exposed himself to a 4v1 fight against enemies around his power level? That is asking to get himself killed. The ranger thought through how he could get them killed. The players knew orbital platforms like that existed (and had visited two in the past).

The ranger was out to get rid of them while thinking of his safety so he could accomplish his goal (get their stuff to pay for resurrections).

u cheeky cunt

Indeed, and when the character is neither from the region nor inspired by events?

Oh that's right, they become xenophobic cunts.

I still say that you could have made an interesting encounter out of it. It may not have been in the rangers best interest to do so, or the most efficient way to kill them, but even when doling out a TPK you have a responsibility to make it interesting, interactive, fun, or at the very least funny. Games, at their core, are predicated on clear rules, and while that can break down in mythic level games to some extent, having the party shot at through the blurry line between what is possible and impossible is kinda shitty on your part.

What is 3pp, I keep seeing it.

But what about Jade Regent?

"3rd Party Product"
Basically stuff for Pathfinder not made by Paizo

3rd party publisher

I mean it's bad form to have a character who just doesn't care about the campaign. That has nothing to do with them being from the region however.

You have a stake in your friend who has a stake in the region.

Jade Regeant assumes you have stakes in the NPCs or just want to wander in general.

It should have been FUN. It's a motherfucking game, and all you are doing is drumming on about how "They had to learn the consequences" all the while, in truth, all you are doing is teaching them they have to murderhobo all the harder, because if they leave a witness? YOU FUCK THEM NO SAVE ALLOWED.

Shockingly, players hate that sort of thing. Again, all you are doing is ingraining shitty player habits all the more by being a shitter back to them.

>but even when doling out a TPK you have a responsibility to make it interesting, interactive, fun, or at the very least funny.
At the expense of making a high Int character act in a stupid way and compromise his character in the narrative?

>Games, at their core, are predicated on clear rules, and while that can break down in mythic level games to some extent, having the party shot at through the blurry line between what is possible and impossible is kinda shitty on your part.
At no point is what he did impossible. There was no blurry line he was violating.

I can't even into 3rd party. There's enough shit in the core rulebook as it is.

Agreed, it's one thing to be a Sarenraean Crusader from Qadira who participated in WotR, and it's another to be some random Tien who heard about Kingmaker and thought now was a good time to form his own empire.

Play 5e

But wouldn't that make me a xenophobic cunt?

See this is why I am likely just going to cancel the campaign. I prefer not to GM for murder hobos. I think that would be a better conclusion for me.

Enemies can be clever and use the same resources players have. Even when it becomes stacked on the NPC's favor. I'm not more than a 10int person so a 16int person should be as clever as I can make them.

You're right, this'll just make my players worse, so I'll just get rid of them.

But my skills. And my massive number of options for non martial classes.

Would you believe us that there are some 3pp material that is better and more balanced than the Core Rulebook?

No. Stop being salty someone called you out on your bullshit and drop it.

>being that salty a progressive paidrone called you xenophobic

user pls. Fuck that guy and fuck that noise.

not same user, but explain.

Cleric God, Wizard God, or Druid God?

>at the expense of making a high INT character act stupid.
Sure. He's vengeful. He's allowed to behave at least a little irrational.

Also, the only reason for characters to stay in character is to serve the story and the player's immersion: Do you think they give a crap if he does something a little sub-optimal if its fun?

You are aware that the Core Rulebook is horribly unbalanced, contains the largest Class Power disparity, the most traps options, and is generally considered shit since its basically just 3.5 with slight tweaking and most of the same problems, right?

TOHSAKA IS A GIRL!

She also pleases old men for money!

>calling out someone who REEED about other characters not being white human males from Brevoy suddenly makes someone a Paidrone and progressive.
This, even ignoring 3ppp(I wouldn't though) banning the core classes makes the game much more pleasant. Granted I would just kill off the Fighter,Chained Rogue, Chained Monk, Wizard, Cleric, and Druid.

I am very much aware of that, yes.
I was asking which 3pp in material you were talking about in particular, so I can make a note to look at it/attempt to let my party use it.
See pic.

To go further, the class distribution by tiers in Core is
T1: Wizard, Cleric, Druid
T2: Sorc
T3: Bard
T4: Paladin, Barbarian
T5: Fighter, Rogue
T6: Monk
As you can see, the class distribution by effectiveness is heavily slanted towards the higher and lower ends, only the Bard (and to a lesser degree the Paladin) somewhat approaching what one could consider a balanced class to play with. This means that in 8/10 choices, your class is either too strong or too weak.

This, the guy was obnoxious and he shitted up the thread.

Making a character with no ties to the campaign is like making a character for CotCT with no ties to Korvosa... what's the point?

>Do you think they give a crap if he does something a little sub-optimal if its fun?
Sub-optimal is different from actually suicidal.

>Ranger is so forgettable it didn't make the list.

You're delibrately misrepresenting his argument.

Xenophobic cunt was complaining about people not being Brevic humans, he only started bitching about them apparently not having ANY connections when people called him out.

Played correctly, Paladin is way better than bard if played properly.

>That greentext
>Implying

You'd be right at home in Paizo with that kind of logic, user! They'll embrace you with open arms and call you brother!

>using the word "xenophobic" unironically about someones choices in an RPG, let along a setting specific RPG

Pretty much. Sorry not everyone appreciates your narrow worldview and not everyone is afraid when you call them a bigot or an ist or a phobic.

Tier lists aren't about being 'better'

they,re about versatility and how many different solutions they bring to the table.

He seems to have things under control.

Look, I get it, you hate these people's guts and want them to TKP and eat shit. If thats your goal, then thats fine, but as a creative or appropriate example of DM-manship, what you did was a failure.

It stands to reason a Brevic human will probably have more ties to Brevoy than a Hermean Human.

Wait, so the core rules are fine, it's just the classes that are the problem? You're saying just play with 3pp classes?

They're sort of about both. T6->T4 is about competence(although versatility matters going from t5 to t4). T4->T3 and T2->T1 are about versatility. T3->T2 is about raw power.

>Wait, so the core rules are fine,
ehh, not so much. Its about as okay as 3.5

Oh, my bad. Thats a pretty alien mentality when talking about Pathfinder among dedicated devotees to the game. I like how ranger didnt even make the list!

Yes, but we aren't arguing the amount of ties or the quality user was complaining about non brevic humans period.
>>using the word "xenophobic" unironically about someones choices in an RPG, let along a setting specific RPG

Yes and? If someone complains they're character is literally unable to form a meaningful connection or friendship with another because of their origin, then that's a fair descriptions.
>not everyone is afraid when you call them a bigot or an ist or a phobic.
Okay? I'm just calling a spade a spade.

I'm confused. Then why play pathfinder?

Well please don't bitch when that "white Brevic human" somehow becomes a big fucking deal in a campaign that deals with Brevoy.

Imagine being in a Taldor campaign and the only Taldan character actually gets focused on! What a shitlord, right? How dare someone that gave a shit about your campaign get rewarded for it! It's not fair!

If you had run it what would you have had the ranger do that was "interactive", but still made sense as an action with his stats.

Remember that in order to find the PCs he had to travel to a major city, purchase supplies, and meet with a wizard. This was over a week after events, enough time to not be in the pure throws of grief.

>not telling it to die, and that it does not belong in this world

It's easy to find players for, and some of us are stuck with IRL groups that refuse to play anything else. Personally, I'd much rather play DitV or something.

Because its "popular", has a lot of material, even if a good ammount of it sucks, has a lot of support, and because pic related

How would a foreigner have more ties to the state of Brevoy than a native, especially a foreigner from as far away as Tian Xia?

a spider hydra

And you try and shift the argument AGAIN.

What a little fucker you are.

No, you started this by bitching up a storm they just weren't from Brevory.

When called on this, you suddenly started up the crocodile tears about how "No, really, they just have shitty characters!"

Fuck off, we can still see your posts, faggot.

repostan my question in the new thread >/pfg/, how do you make your maps for online games? I hear a lot about tiled, but I don't really know where to look for tilesets or anything.

canonically now too, thanks to Ishtar-rin

I wish both these people were banned.

3pp
>DSP Psionics
Neatly balanced (just remove the Psychic Reformation power, only outlier, as well as the psionic archetype for the wizard), although it carries the stigma of 3E psionics being broken.
>DSP Path of War
Provides plenty of Tier 3 options for martials, although damage numbers can go through the roof, especially since the optimization floor is much higher. Will require to rethink and rebuild most encounters around it.
>Other DSP stuff
Monster classes swing somewhat in terms of balance per different build; but most of the rest is nicely balanced and provides plenty of fun options to use.
>Spheres of Power
Offers a less broken casting system, although there is still room for abuse and the spheres (think wizard schools, but thematic) aren't that well balanced with each other.

A Spydra?

That's not what I'm arguing you cock sucking retards.

THE PLAYER THE PLAYER THE PLAYER

DID NOT LIKE THE PCs

NOT DID THE CHARACTER

BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T BREVIC

HOW IS THIS A HARD CONCEPT?

This entire conversation reminds me how a player of ours got extremely angry how me and another player were having a gay old time roleplaying our banter about the state of the kingdom and the state of the king because we were natives and she was some special snowflake from Kyonin.

Should we have brought ourselves down to her level of ignorance? Fuck no, we bantered it up and got the fourth guy into the conversation because fuck if it wasn't fun!

So! How was your weekend, /pfg/? Do anything fun or exciting, in- or out-of-game?

But user, that's exclusion and favoritism, which is BADWRONGFUN
/sarcasm

I got to flex some of those knowledge skills! While everyone else hung around the bar I went to a local library and did some research on the Golden Ossuary.

I've GM'd Iron Gods! It went okay!

So tell me what details you left because it's not like she was incapable of commenting on or forming an of the state of affairs of the kingdom.

There are several sites I will list at the bottom of this post. You can also download some programs for it. There is a good tile based program I used to have but I cannot remember it, you might be able to find it with some googlefu. Otherwise there is not much out there besides graph paper or drawing software. I have seen some nifty maps in photoshop.

donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/
donjon.bin.sh/world/
cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142
cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48
inkwellideas.com/free-tools/random-city-map-generator/

Even monsters should be given the opportunity to flee.

>Should we have brought her in to the conversation, teaching her about local customs and culture? Fuck no, we are cocksmokers and ignored her, wasting an opportunity for character growth because fuck if it wasn't fun!

>But user, that's exclusion and favoritism, which is BADWRONGFUN
Yeah in a social hobby like this, kind of a dick move.

Often people are or are too salty to participate.

I've had players get angry when they weren't the focus and shut down, refusing to speak for up to an hour. We call that being childish generally.

Why does it cost sorcerers more than wizards to create scrolls, wands, and potions?

Probably just have him take potshots from on top of a mountain, essentially demanding attention and annoying the PCs while forcing them to find a way up there without getting shot.

Friendly reminder of where you are

Yeah, that's mostly what I'm hearing.

Well, she was only able to really offer one or two sentences of outsider-looking-in on the state of Taldor before we went back to rumormongering like teenage girls about what Zenobia or a local noble was getting involved in. We tried nudging her into the conversation, but what would she know if she came to the kingdom two weeks ago?

seeIn most of these cases, its their own bloody fault for not actively trying to inseminate themselves into the story

Depends entirely if she was willing to participate. I have had players simply shut down when the topic was not focused on them and be unwilling to listen/learn.

This could be exclusion or one of these cases. I put it more likely that 1 player was a shit rather than 3.

Whoops, didn't mean to quote.

Not sure if you meant to link me but it is because they get spells later than wizards. Therefore they are higher level when they make the same spells.

That has nothing to do with the characters and where they are from, but the player being a bitch.

>npcs should cater to the pcs foolishness
user, realize what you are saying.
If this was a wizard using shit like time stop on them, you would not be complaining this much, despite magic shenanigans being equally as difficult to stop.

I mean, he killed the first two PCs in round 1 & 2. So the distance didn't really factor in.

He won initiative so it happened as:
Surprise Round:
>mythic improved vital strike w/ named bullet kills wizard
Round 1:
>mythic improved vital strike w/ named bullet kills alchemist
>rogue climbs into druid's bag of holding
>druid earth glides and heads straight down

Admittedly, that's something people only realize would've been cool after the fact.

Bullfucking shit I wouldn't. The game should be fun, and 2 PCs dying out of literally nowhere with no chance to prevent it, from *anything* isn't fucking fun.

Dude, quit trying to justify it with the setting or what they did. As the GM you can always fudge things to make them more interesting either by making things harder, or in this case easier. Other than that you didnt want to fudge, there is no reason he had to 1-shot them from space. That is in no way measured or appropriate.

Yeah, and most people who make characters wholly unconnected from the region the campaign takes place in are bitches.

>As the GM you can always fudge things to make them more interesting either by making things harder, or in this case easier.
Yeah, if I was being a massive faggot and having an enemy run into the maw of a group of murder hobos.

user!