/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Monk UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread What's the strongest monster you've ever challenged your players with?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/11/17/can-conjuration-wizards-use-minor-conjuration-to-get-usable-spell-components-and-foci/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for have you tried playing 4e instead?

>What's the strongest monster you've ever challenged your players with?
Man.

Is this going to be in every /5eg/ now?

I once made up a custom monster using the dmgguidelines. It almost killed two pcs and they decided to talk it into letting them kill it instead.

It worked.

CR 14 adult black dragon. The tiefling wizard in the party taunted him as he asked who turned the paladin into a T-Rex, and he was promptly turned into an acid-covered skeleton jelly, dropped from near-full to dead in one blast.

A wizard with 8 int.
No, actually it was a black dracolich. Went better than expected.

I'm building up the current campaign to end in a battle with a giant aboleth that the yuan ti who summoned it were mistaking for dendar.

gf wants to play next weeks. Asked me to make her a xena

Other than an L3 human barb, what should I start her off with?

From the previous thread.

A suggested replacement of Polearm Master-

Defensive Fighter
Your training allows you to strike enemies as soon as they enter your reach.
You gain the following benefits:

When you take the Attack action, you can use a bonus
action to make a melee attack such as a shield bash, a kick, or striking the
enemy with the blunt end of a Halberd. The weapon's damage die for this attack
is a d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage. The bonus attack
uses the same ability modifier as the main attack (From PHB Errata)

Other creatures provoke an opportunity attack
from you when they enter your reach.
On one side-
This is good because it lets you use whatever weapon you want and still be effective, and lets you decide if you want d12 damage, d10 damage +reach, or d8 damage + Shield

On the other side-
This is bad because the answer to samey weapons isn't to even further homogenize the weapon pool by spreading out feats for specific weapons.

What do you think?

Personally I tend to agree with both sides, while I feel you should be able to use whatever weapon fits your character, I also think the game needs more distinct weapons. I'd say change each weapon around itself, maybe adding more Special traits to them so you don't need a Feat to gain it's bonus.

A really big rust monster.

Played it when it came out. It fucking sucked, so we didn't play it anymore.

I'd like to see more Fighting styles before delving into feats. We still lack one for the own weapons and versatile weapons.

i love 4e

anyways guess i'll re-ask: is revised ranger adventure league legal?

I wish I could find enough people to do it still.

No.

no

you roll a bard and follow her around

Joxter the Migh-ty he's really ti-dy!

Kensei isn't bad, but still kinda disappointing.

Guys, rate my gyth

+1 Int, +2 Dex

Telepathy to one creature that shares a language out to 30 feet
Resistance to psychic damage
Advantage against all spells that would read its thoughts or any type of divination that can afford a save.

That's it.

Bonus to Int, because Psionics, the Ghost Wise halfling telepathy thing, resistance to its damage type and a weaker version of the cranium rat's telepathic shroud

make a /4eg/ and then ask about it

That honestly makes even less sense as it encourages greatswords//rapiers over halberds/whips even more.

So, uhh, I guess everybody uses greatswords or rapier+shield, martials get a slight damage buff and rogues now have access to a feat that allows them to effectively two-weapon-fight with +dex to their bonus attack with a rapier (1d8+1d4 is pretty much 1d6+1d6) and allows them to make reaction attacks so they can sneak attack anybody who moves towards them, but thus loses their uncanny dodge every time they do that?

Huh. I can also see some other oddballs such as bladesingers taking it, but overall it only looks like a bad idea.

I don't get sageadvice, people will ask the most retarded questions that need no answer because even a 5 yo kid know the answer after looking at the PHB, meanwhile the really important stuff never gets answered or the answers are ambiguous as fuck

I'm actually really liking it. I do feel like it's missing that slight something, but reading it through it all sounded great.

>meanwhile the really important stuff never gets answered or the answers are ambiguous as fuck
Give examples

i feel like resistance to psychic damage in a campaign that will likely be about psionics largely is too good TO BE HONEST. idk how often the rest will come up, probably not often. but the fact of that metagame strong resistance and the good (imo) combo of int+dex bonuses makes it stronger than it might otherwise appear.
so i think you might want to reconsider.

Don't forget the mage hand.

So, to get the best out of it you need to make 1 weapon attack, one unarmed so you can get +2 AC, then FoB. And unless you're using short sword this iteration will deal laughable damage.

Dumping my screencaps of the coolest stronghold concept I've found, from last thread

Is Volo's Good? I recently bought physical copies of the DMG and the PH, and I really love the quality of both. Should I also pick up the Monster Manual, or is that all stuff I should get online?

Why is kensei a monk now? why it goes unarmored? couldn't they call it differently?

volo's kind of sucks imo. i would just download it from the mega in the OP. you won't ever use 90%+ of it.

How's the MM? I love actually being able to flip through a book.

And that's it. I really should get that all stuck into one image.

If you ever plan on DMing, the MM and VGM are both fantastic.

The Monster Manual has a lot of great content, and even if you want something that's not in it there is so much you can use as a base for whatever monster you want

IMHO the DMG is mostly useless, only really good if you haven't DMd before. MM is much more useful.

Keep in mind that CR is largely useless, and it's better to note how much damage a monster does and how long it is likely to survive against your party to determine the challenge it poses.

Well I am a first time DM and the players ran into the big bad early on by some of their poor decision making.

They were level 3~ at the time and the Death Knight was roughly CR 7. Only one died though, as the Death Knight tried to ignore them the whole time.

MM is cool. just download them and try them out, and then buy them if you like them, don't take my word for it.
i think owning a physical copy of the MM is worth it though. but thats really just my two cents, not a penny more.

Lads and lasses, hello

5th ed question

With Alignment (yes I know, people hate it fuck off)...is there any rule anywhere, like in previous editions, that says that the DM can penalize players who repeatedly act out of alignment?

At least I swear there was a rule somewhere in a previous edition that said this. I can't frigging remember

>why it goes unarmored?
This is the third time I've seen someone insinuate Kensai weren't always unarmored characters.

Here is their first fucking appearance.

Do you have any good resources for this? Or just play it by ear and try to get good at it?

No. Nothing from the UA is AL legal, only officially published books and the AL player's guides

Just penalize him. You don't need a rule to do it

Volo's is okayish. It has rules for playing different races.

Goblin and Kobold are awesome in their own right. The former can do extra damage equal to their level, the other can grovel and beg and give disadvantage in combat (and a few other places, I think) because of it.

Change their alignment to match how they act

It says if you make an unarmed strike as part of your attack action, this means, you don't get +2 AC with flurry of blow, one of your multiple attacks as a monk must be unarmed.

Nope, and there never has been such a rule. Though in previous editions some classes had to have a certain alignment.

Only thing you see like that now is paladin's, which can be any alignment, but must follow an oath they swore.

Sorry, I'm used to the 3.5 and 4e kensai, didn't know it came from older editions

Is there anything good I should steal from an allowed book for an AL Monk character? I just started playing 5e and AL in general.

You, you're okay

You, you're garbage

When I was a neutral good cleric and burned down the mess hall of a bandit town my dm just changed my alignment to chaotic good, I thought that was a fair punishment.

thats hella cool. Id use it in my campaign.

If only my players were interested in strongholds...

I which part of my post do I say the opposite?

>you're garbage
What? Actions dictate alignment. If they act one alignment, you're supposed to change it to match how they act.

well, I don't think the campaign is going to be all that heavy on psyonics, and your point on dex is well made, but if I gave it to strength or Con, they would make for retarded barbearians.

... which I guess only makes your point about psychic resistance.

Orite, I may take out psychic and either do this
Or leave telepathic shroud as is on the Cranium Rat.

This

> If they act one alignment, you're supposed to change it to match how they act.

No, they're supposed to be roleplaying. Roleplaying. Playing their role. The character shouldn't change for the person, the person changes for the character.

Okay, got it all down into one picture.

You could probably just give them the seed and that alone might get them interested. Something like this seems designed specifically to push players into being involved in the stronghold's creation.

Unless the character is specifically being granted magical powers and benefits by an entity who disagrees with his actions (which may not necessarily need to be alignment-based) there should be no penalty for "acting out of alignment". This basically means "Clerics only", because even Warlocks and their patrons don't operate like that.

Alignment is not a straightjacket that limits what you can do. It is a reflection of what you have done, and thus an indicator of what you are likely to do in the future. An Evil character is not prevented from saving babies from a burning orphanage for no benefit to himself, and a Good character is not prevented from just murdering an innocent shopkeep for his wares. It's probably shit RP if they do, but there is no in-universe Alignment Police that is going to swoop down and bitchslap them.

If your player is acting out of alignment, all you have to do is say: "Your actions have shifted your alignment X points towards _______." Granted, 5E doesn't use a point-based system, but just keep track of this shit in your head all fuzzy-like. This will scare the bejeezus out of half of them, and they may try to argue that such-and-such act wasn't Evil or Chaotic or whatever because they only did it for Z reason.

Remind them AND YOURSELF that intentions are meaningless and some grand Cosmic Arbiter of Alignment has written down on a piece of paper a bunch of things that are ALWAYS Evil and ALWAYS Good and ALWAYS Chaotic and so on. They may very well be doing things that you think go "against their alignment" but are not "elementally" Evil/Good/Lawful/Chaotic and needn't have an associated shift. If they're just being a douche to be a douche, arrange for appropriate in-universe consequences; i.e., heroes or a magical detective investigate the guy your PC just murdered and happen upon him later, or implicate his part in the murder to the lawkeepers of the next settlement the party visits.

>The character shouldn't change for the person, the person changes for the character
If they're roleplaying the character a certain way then that's how the character is.

Not that guy, but in a lot of circumstances it comes down to the player realizing that he didn't have the alignment or character fully realized, and that a different alignment would be more appropriate for their playstyle.
You shouldn't be pigeonholed into a flawed character idea just because you didn't fully think it through in the beginning.

I assumed this discussion was about freely changing the players alignment by how they want to play the character. How many times can they change it before they aren't playing a character but just playing themselves in each scenario?

hey man, that's some pretty kewl shit. thanks

>well, I don't think the campaign is going to be all that heavy on psyonics, and your point on dex is well made, but if I gave it to strength or Con, they would make for retarded barbearians.
>... which I guess only makes your point about psychic resistance.
well, if its not psionics heavy its not a big deal, i just assumed it would be if you're making gyth
dex + int isn't too strong if the resistance isn't going to be a really common resistance imo.

>ctrl-f Tarrasque
> 0 results

DESU, it was a humanoid with the rest of the stats being a re skinned tarrasque. It died in the jaws of a T-Rex. On the moon.

>people play Monks that aren't Mountain Dwarves
buh?

The only reason they'd be changing their alignment several times is if they keep changing how they're playing the character. Even if they're playing themselves, they should fit into one of the alignment choices

That just means they're a typical Chaotic Neutral/Evil Shithead.

>Playing something other than a Variant Human.

Oh, are you doing it for "roleplaying" reasons?

>minmaxing this hard

I play games to WIN.

I am playing as a paranoid anti government character who believes he is being scryed 24/7 and has a bunch of conspiracy theories.

My party is eating it up and having a great time. However, during the intro my character ambiguous referred to some "great" emergency and demanded the party pool their money (obviously I can't share what the theat us because I am constantly being scryed).

The party is now feeding my character money to fund my antics (building bunkers, stashing go bags around the city, building lead hats to protect my thoughts). However, I feel like I need something BIG to finish my character arc. Any ideas and/or exotic magical items worth going for?

>playing dnd to win
>(You)

>winning DnD

I mean if you're doing a published story.

Is there no sage advice on minor conjuration and material spell components on purpose?

I want to survive, already had bad experiences with races that don't rise both dex and wis

I demand an explanation

But Mountain Dwarves are the only race that's +2/+2.

It's pretty obvious what designer intent was. You can substitute conjured objects for magical ingredients.

So a 5k diamond for my sequester spell is OK...?

Holy shit that picture.
What was the name of that book again?

Only components without a gold cost
sageadvice.eu/2016/11/17/can-conjuration-wizards-use-minor-conjuration-to-get-usable-spell-components-and-foci/

You're probably right. I'll see about dangling this in front of them and see if they bite. We had a terrible experience with kingmaker in pathfinder though, so we'll have to wait and see..

1) lead the party in a raid on what he claims to be a secret re-education camp, but turns out to be an orphanage/sacred druid land/mindflayer hideout
2) start constructing a massive magical mind-controlling device of your own because "we just need to get ours turned on before they get theirs". Become the next campaign's villain.
3) Accumulate as much of the party's cash as you can, then reveal that you're just a conman who pretended to be crazy to get all their money. Skip town, become the next campaign's villain.

>Mearls ever relevant

Nah man, you just argued against yourself there.

stinky cheese man something something something

Why that doesn't show up with a google search of "minor conjuration sage advice" is pretty confusing, but thanks m8 - that's exactly what I needed.

The Eye of Vecna

Seriously, what better god to follow if you are a conspiracy theorist than the god of secrets?

I used Tarrasque stats for THE FINAL FORM of the BBEG. The bite and swallow effects were full on size distortion, bending space to eat his enemies. The fight happened on the Moon, which the BBEG stole to fly into the sun. Also, there was a secret Yuan-ti base on the Moon, full pyramids under glass domes.

The final fight took place at the foot of one of the pyramids. The PCs were level 13, or so. They did fine after they did some targeted attacks to destroy some crystals that gave the BBEG this ULTIMATE POWER.

Pic related, the fists are what the BBEG would use to try to eat people.

Worst comes to worst, they either neglect the house or construct it badly, and either a villain steals it out from under them or it gains sentience and they have to battle their own enormous malformed creation.

It's in Sage Advice, it's official

Do you think WotC designers come here?

>Worst comes to worst, it gains sentience and they have to battle their own enormous malformed creation.

i lold, that would be glorious.

no

whoa whoa whoa, see pic related:

Volo's races are a good place to turn, since monks only lose Sun Soul/Long Death in the SCAG.

My recommendtions:

-Bugbear 10ft reach allows you stay out of harm's way most of the time and do more monk shenanigans. Stealth proficiency doesn't hurt.

-Kobold shadow monk for advantage on most attacks almost all of the time. Bonus dodge when grovelling is very strong, and something no other kobold character can do.