Post Apoc RPG General

I didn't start with Traditional Dungeon crawlers, my first RPG ever was After the Bomb.

How do you like your post apocalypse? I like mine gonzo, mutated and randomly generated. Currently running Mutant Epoch for the lads. Other favorites include the never supported Blood Dawn, Gamma World 2nd Ed and Mutant Future (basically post Apoc Labrynith Lord).

Mutant Epoch:
mediafire.com/folder/wq2k0r1bqesqt/RPG_Trove#g6n6fydh6mef5

Other urls found in this thread:

www78.zippyshare.com/v/ITEm2it0/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=uMKAdNWv9xA
mega.nz/#F!z9wHCQwC!HCeMOum5467vvbTd2XwiMw
mega.nz/#!r8FkGIJD!djWKyN3us5-flomz0qaEVJf_3BT__-t9DZfNN3GbWLU
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5XVKerf1SSDanR5RDg0Z2VPNWs/view?usp=sharing
mega.nz/#F!upl3ibhL!PCZ5z7Qp4jjklc1E4Sy9kw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Playing Radhack occassionally.
If gonzo's your thing, I played octaNe, which does alot of things, but I think of it as the Six-string Samurai RPG.
I have read the six books of White-Wolf's D20 Gamma World. Its kind of all over the place.
Apocalypse World.
Legacy Life Among the Ruins adds generational play to an Apocalypse World hack.

if you ever get the urge for a more 'down to earth' end of the world I gotta say Broken Earth is pretty epic.

The description on rpgnow is underwhelming. Is there mutants psionics? High tech? Irradiatied monsters?

Pic related

After the Bomb was da bomb. Best non-furry amthropo animals in an Rpg award.

Octane and Redline also have a great old school feel.

Lots of great decision points in After the Bomb character creation. Love the 1980s Eastman art. Would have liked to see the setting expanded but the author is dead. The cover of the reboot sucks dick.

Stop sign shield is a post apoc trope I'll never tire of. But the soft aluminum material would make a light but lousy shield.

I was just gonna make a thread asking for a system to run post apoc

Apoc world's seems Okay, but what other options are there?

Mutant Epoch man! A big part of the game is pure humans vs. mutants.
Standard tech level is 18th Century but there are "relics" of modern and future weapons.

The main book is all you need and us in link in OP. I love the art and the main rule book is lavishly illustrated. However if you hate charts this isn't the gam for you.

Partial List of Post Apoc tabletop RPGs:

Apocalypse World
After the Bomb (Megaversal system)
Blood Dawn
D20 Apocalypse (D20 System)
Darwins World (D20)
Deadlands: Hell on Earth
Exodus
Gamma World
Morrow Project
Mutant
Mutant Future (D&D B/X)
Mutant Epoch
Neuroshima (Polish language only)
Rifts (Megaversal)
System Failure (Megaversal)
Twilight 2000

These are mutant animals not furry scum. Furfags stay out!

I'm good with charts, I'm just anti classes, I'm more of a point buy kinda guy. I'm on phone so I can't download it right now to find out

There aren't really classes. Just races with powers. Caste determines skills sets. You can roll (recommended) or choose.

Characters can be pure stock humans (no mutations, no cybernetics), clones (manufactured humans with some genetic improvement), bioreplicas (superior clones), transhumans (superior humans), cyborgs (humans with cybernetic parts), ghost mutants (mutants that look like normal humans, but have hidden mutations like telepathy or telekinesis), mutants (humans with various degrees of mutations that have left them visibly altered), and bestial humans (over 30 different animal types in humanoid form, ranging from mammals to insects to birds to amphibians and reptiles, all with the potential for further mutations). Players can either pick, or randomly roll their character type. And here we see the first example of how life in ME can be “unfair”, since one player could roll a Comfort Clone while another rolls a Battle Bioreplica. And that will have further impact down the line.

Damn that cover looks awesome. Is that the Rabbit Imperium? I thought they were the bad guys in Mutant Year Zero.

>The cover of the reboot sucks dick.
I liked some of the new illustrations by Perez but you're right, the original was much better.

What really amazed me was that AtB v2.0 was like, 6 times bigger but added nothing substantial to the game that wasn't already present in the original 60-page booklet.

This is of a piece to how bloated modern RPGs have become without significantly improving the roleplaying experience.

I don't know anything about the game play of Mutant Year Zero but the art and production values are gorgeous. Modiphius has done well.

Palladium games are such a mess rules wise. Bloated cut and paste job with the same layout they had when I was in grade school 26 years ago. It's a shame because they have some great IPs, art and setting/story.

Mutant epoch sounds interesting and I've been itching for a postapoc game.

Anyone using roll20 and still need players?

I could play on Friday evenings, 7pm EST.

You offering to run a game on roll20?

No, I'm offering to play. I don't have the books.

The books are in the OP, but obviously if you haven't played even once you shouldn't run it.

Hopefully we can find someone to run it. My schedule is flexible.

Bump

I've always wanted to try gamma world.

What edition?

I actually liked what was done with 7th Edition Gamma World which used the 4th Ed D&D rules. If your a purist 2nd Ed Gamma World is the cleaned up but not really revised edition to play.

The William McAusland art from Mutant Epoch is really special. He has done stuff for Goodman Games as well.

5th

I heard it was the best one

7th edition Gamma World was the best thing to come out of the DnD 4E rules. At-will and encounter powers that felt like distinctive character gimmicks instead of pointless variations on "____-____ Strike," hitting a balance between randomness and functionality for every character, varied character possibilities without sifting through massive lists of feats, minimal inventory tracking while still giving a sense of limited resources.

Links to PDFs?

#F!i0RCRbwZ!dlo_q7wufhOrNF-NAJqDiQ

Is that for mega? Thanks

5th is the serious edition which removes most of the silliness. It does use the alternity system which is a good combination of crunch and easy to play.

Honestly, they're all fun in their own way.

There was a super-edgy 90s post-apoc wargame some kind user posted pics of a few months back, called Apokalypse maybe? Had interesting units, like Hollow Men, Panteras (female warriors), and Knechts (military units going independent). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I have no idea what you're talking about and I'm intrigued so I looked it up and found a link.

www78.zippyshare.com/v/ITEm2it0/file.html

Not as gonzo as everyone here seems to want, but I'm intrigued by Desolation. It's fantasy post-apoc, but done 1 year after collapse of society. I haven't read much of the book yet (in large part because I don't own it), but it sounds like a neat idea.

I also like flooded world post apoc because it leads to pirate worlds. Wind Waker being a video game example and 50 Fathoms a rpg example. I actually like Waterworld.

That is the most edge lord game I have ever seen. I've been gaming since 1986.

GURPS just did After the End as well, which is their generic post-apocalypse genre series. Covers pretty much everything that you might expect to see in Fallout.

There's also Reign of Steel, which is similar to Terminator, but with a dozen hostile AI Overminds that portioned up the planet, and who treat humans somewhat differently (but never kindly). It's pretty fucking hopeless for humanity as well...

For Fantasy Post Apoc I like D&Ds Dark Sun

I like a pretty distant post-apocalypse, im talking about how the way of life before the fall is now more legend than history kind of thing. I actually like fantasy elements in it too, like magic. Weird and gonzo are pluses for me. Haven't found a system that handles all this that's also easy to use and learn.

If you hate classes, why would you play Apocalypse World?

Playbooks are classes by another name.

I'm just not into deserts. They bore me.

Well you could play it as it was originally intended. Dark Sun's Athas was suppose to be a dying snow planet. Hence the name Dark Sun. TSR saw some BSDM skimpy leather Barbarian art and decided to change it to a desert planet.

Ironically, that was what inspired one of my currently running campaigns. It's a setting where magic is powered by heat, and the world is getting colder because wizards and shit.

>Dark Sun's Athas was suppose to be a dying snow planet
That I can get behind. Not sure why frozen tundra and endless water are OK with my but deserts are boring, but I guess it's just one of those things.

Kind of have a setting for right before the apocalypse for that too, then. Hellfrost. But that isn't really a setting for this thread, apocalypse hasn't happened yet, it's just revving up.

I'd love to play in a dark sun game but it's so obscure nobody ever runs that.

It was well supported in 2nd ed AD&D and 4th ed D&D I guess I am just getting old. Only thing Dark Sun needs is Dune buggies and gyro copters!

>look up mutant epoch on roll20

zero results

>look up dark sun on roll20

zero results

Interesting

I wouldn't call it obscure, I think people just don't by in large want to play in post-apoc dnd.

Mutant Epoch has only been out 5 years so I am not surprised.

What is Octane like as a game?

>#F!i0RCRbwZ!dlo_q7wufhOrNF-NAJqDiQ
This doesn't seem to have the 7th edition. Any other sources for that one?

Part Post-Apoc, part not-Barsoom

Considering roll20 is mostly dnd that isn't too unusual.

I really wish mutant epoch wasn't broken, in so many ways.

It's overly reliant on charts but I don't find any wrong with it otherwise. Characters are not balanced powerwise but that was a design choice. What would you change?

Well, the hazard check chart is extremely important but it's tucked away in the middle of the book despite every character needing it.

Theres no better game for mad max like post apocalypse than atomic highway.
Prove me wrong.

Any help on this? I'd like to find a game that I can play that focuses on this type of experience.

I get good results using the GammaWorld 2e mutations and tacking them onto D&D or d20 Modern rules. Mutants & Masterminds also works well.

I'd use a fantasy games with weird races for that. Maybe artefacts of the old times as magic items.
Crossbow of lead. Shoots 3 bullets each shot, looks suspioucly like an AK.

FGU's Aftermath!
The End Of The World serie

You forgot And probably one of these games can beat atomic highway, it's rules lite special snowflake tier

Anyone able to tell me about neuroshima?

Was there ever an english translation?

Anyone running apocalypse world?

No English translation. Some complaints of racists stereotypes. Neat post apoc art. Poles said system sucked.

Well, if the art is neat, I'd love a look at the book.

Anyone have a link?

> Post Post Apocalypse where the collapse is legend more than history.

Numenera?

One of the rocket launchers was drawn backward which triggered my inner /k/ autism. I'll see if I saved it when I get back to my battle station.

Are there even any PA games on roll20 at all?

D&D and Pathfinder are like 90% of all games on Roll20.

Even if you don't want to use the setting or mechanics of Numenera (Some people really don't like the hp-as-action-resource mechanic, for example.) The Numenera book has a bunch of advice for how to apply various forgotten technology themes to your game.

That said the mechanics are very straightforward, and include mystical, ancient and unreliable tech that functions like magic.

youtube.com/watch?v=uMKAdNWv9xA

Here's another link that doesn't have 7th edition either. It has nothing past 4th edition. But it does have vital stuff for those early editions that the other trove lacks. For instance, it lacks the adventure booklet and the referee screen (which contains vital information) for 3rd edition.

mega.nz/#F!z9wHCQwC!HCeMOum5467vvbTd2XwiMw

Which silliness is that? Are you just talking about tone or what? I've never played 5th edition--Alternity got cancelled shortly after it was released, so it never got much play--but I really don't like the idea of the dice mechanic. Rolling a d20 then adding or subtracting another die seems clumsy... especially the subtracting bit. Also the whole action phase thing seems cumbersome. But then I've never actually played it, so maybe it works better than I think.

Regardless, my Gamma World campaigns in 2e and 3e were always gritty and brutal--more so than the other games I've run--and I've never felt the desire to interpret the game in a lighthearted or silly way.

Scanon here, nice to hear someone picked it up!
Apokalypse actually had a pretty nice setting, with sweet and vivid descriptions of the post-world war hellscape. And units were indeed very fitting for the system and vibe of the game?
I think it's worth a skim for any postapoca fan, even though you don't need to lift the whole thing wholesale, when building a campaign; there's lots of good points in there for your miserable future Mad Max-life.

I tried to get hold of and include the expansion material, mentioned in the rulebook, but the devs said that all of it was destroyed when the company folded. So we'll never see the Wormcarriers, Techslaves, additional Landmate models or robot psychoses...
>;___;

Here's some more download locations btw, since so many people whine about ZS:
mega.nz/#!r8FkGIJD!djWKyN3us5-flomz0qaEVJf_3BT__-t9DZfNN3GbWLU
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5XVKerf1SSDanR5RDg0Z2VPNWs/view?usp=sharing

inorite? I find it sort of adorable though, very much an artifact of '90s 'nihilism' (White Wolf, et al) and waking up to humanity being kind of a douche (Rwanda, ex-Yugoslavia). But also admirable that the developers really followed through on their vision, to make a bleak setting where there was no room left for positive traits of humanity, and bringing that up against the 40k and Warzones of the day. The extinction of mankind will probably be pretty edgy after all, no?

>yfw fellow members of postapoca society

Ow, I am bleeding everywhere now from all the edges.

>but it does describe IRL central african gang militias pretty accurately

Low Life is... interesting. Any game where you can play a sentient Twinkie is a little on the strange side.

Not enough floating and nanites.

The post-apocalypse needs supernatural shit:
>mega.nz/#F!upl3ibhL!PCZ5z7Qp4jjklc1E4Sy9kw

6th edition Gamma World is supposed to be more on the serious end, though it uses d20 Modern, which is an unforgivable sin.

>there are actually 8 editions of gamma world
>even dnd and all it's clones don't have 8 editions
>neither does gurps or WOD or shadowrun or call of cthulhu or any other popular game

How did this happen

Gamma World as a property has been juggled around by many publishers, each time coming up with their own iteration of the game.

Are we counting Omega World as an edition? Because that was more of an article than an honest-to-god game. Plus, it's called "Omega World". Fuck that. You don't get to just pick any Greek letter.

>even dnd and all it's clones don't have 8 editions
Ahem.
1) OD&D (0e)
2) Holmes Basic
3) 1st edition AD&D (1e)
4) Moldvay Basic (B/X)
5) Mentzer Basic (BECMI)
5.5) Rules Cyclopedia (RC)
5.75) Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game (Black Box starter)
6) 2nd edition AD&D (2e)
6.5) revised 2nd edition AD&D
7) 3e
7.5) 3.5e
8) 4e
8.5) Essentials
9) 5e

Still, Gamma World does have a lot of editions. 2nd edition was basically an expanded 1st edition. After 3rd edition, they wanted to move the game back towards AD&D, tying it into the recently released 2nd edition of that. Alternity was cancelled a month after 5th edition Gamma World was released for that. Then Omega World was just a Dungeon article, 6th edition was released for d20 Modern, and 7th edition was released using 4e D&D's system.

Gurps has seven editions which is the same as the official count of Gamma world (the latest one is called seventh).

>(the latest one is called seventh).
Well, the latest one is *referred to* as 7th. That's a bit different from having "7th edition" stamped on its cover.

I always figured post apocalyptic settings would be more popular, but it doesn't seem like they're catching on in the grand scheme of things.

Your point?

Not really. Gamma has had three: TSR, White Wolf, and WotC. Only one edition, based on D20M, was outside the TSR->WotC corporate progression.

Gamma World was trotted out periodically to keep it in the possession of TSR and keep its trademarks active. 2e was well-liked, 4e was an early test run for what would become D&D3, and 5 e was Alternity based (and thus also an early D&D3 testbed).

The Cold War was over for thirty years. We may see the genre return if general depression and nihilism return to their Cold War numbers.

Anyone else looking to pick up Mutant Crawl Classics? The preview looked pretty good.

I thought it is not scheduled to be released till Summer 2017?

The Mutant Epoch guy William McAusland did a lot of the art for Mutant Crawl Classic

>Mutant Crawl Classics
This item will be released on August 1, 2017.

So basically a GenCon 2017 release

Younglings don't know what it was like living under the constant "threat" of Global Thermo Nuclear War.

>Younglings don't know what it was like living under the constant "threat" of Global Thermo Nuclear War.
Trump is gonna be president, so give it a little time.

There's still hope!