/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Monk UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread What's the most work you've put into something that your players never experienced?

Have you tried playing 4e? It's pretty good.

8 INT wizard, 10 kobolds vs. a level 20 PC, rolling for stats over standard array/point buy, diamond pickaxes

let's say you're a PC and the adventure is to find a cure for your lover PC who contracted Lycanthropy just recently but you two know very little about the curse. How would you as the healthy PC try to contain it? The only thing I can think of is the first story in The Witcher with the tomb, but, these two PC's are on a journey, and I feel like "climbing a tree" wouldn't work if the werewolf is in hybrid form...this is level 1 btw.

Are there any mechanically better races for Kensai monk using greatsword than lizardfolk?

>d6 unarmed attack without martial arts for flurry of blows and AC when using them
>Can dump wis and still have decent unarmored AC
>Biting

The post with the rulebook was to specifically 'let people play make-believe how they want'

It illustrates that while you could let people play make-believe how they want, it's generally better to conform to a set of tried-and-true rules. It's only natural there are some exceptions.

Will it let me roll for my characters stats?

Don't forget

>diamond pickaxes
Speaking of diamond pickaxes, how would you break into a vault made of adamantium with an anti-magic field?

dank memes

B-but that edition promotes equality between classes
I'd rather roll for stats because having two fighters except one of the fighters having +2 extra damage and +15 HP over the other is fun.

Go back to your containment thread

This is why I only allow one race, one class, One armor type, one weapon, and have a standard array of 10, 10, 10, 10 ,10 ,10.

i prefer rolling but how do you guys do point buy?
is it just a pool of like 60 that you put wherever?
how do you stop people from just putting a 1 in stats they dont need at all

^this guy gets it
its the only way to have fun

Okay, any thoughts on this brew?

There's a difference between limiting one's choice and taking away somebody's free ASIs.

An army of mechanical creatures hidden away within an abandoned ruin who have all gained consciousness. They had their own civilization built there that had been growing for hundreds of years. I'd come up with NPCs, a layout for the city, new weapons, armor, spells, etc. It tied into a couple major quests they'd done in this campaign so far. There was a journal they took from someone that had directions to the city in it.

They threw it in a fucking fire without reading it.

>join game after a long pause in gaming
>have to roll for stats
>raises flags, but didn't game for too long so ignore
>3d6-assign, no rerolls
>even more flags, but decide to test my luck
>roll 10 9 7 5 11 11
>everyone else rolled higher then average, one guy even has a total modifier of +16 in his stats
>fuck it, stats don't mean shit when you don't roll dice, so pick a wizard
>NUH-UH NO FULL CASTERS THEY'RE OP
>pick a warlock, tiefling race to boost charisma a bit
>the rest of the group is a paladin, a ranger, and some bullshit edgy homebrew called "blood hunter" or something like that
>the party roflstomps everything, I can't do shit most of the time, neither in combat nor in skills, and even social interaction sucks because my charisma is fucking 13
>out of spells
>rests? what? we don't need short rests, we didn't lose much hp
>die in third combat of the game
>finally.jpg
>but no, DM rules that I get rezzed via some bullshit
>well fuck, another time then
>keep on playing, resort to spamming eldritch blasts
>hit level 4, boost charisma
>everyone else picks shitty flavor-related feats like gourmand or tavern brawler which they don't use at all
>get frowned looks
>keep on playing
>at some point, instantly kill what was I think supposed to be a mini-boss due to two crits on my eldritch blast and some bullshit house-rule that you die if you take half your damage and fail a con check
>get accused of being a minmaxing munchkin
>game ends, warlocks are banned, I'm told to make a new character
>with the same stats

I'm considering leaving. Should I?

You could tell them your concerns and see how they react.

If it's negative, then yes

How do I stop my party from haphazardly killing people then just reviving important NPCs and such after the fact how do I make death/injuries seem more permanent?
t. New dm

The PHB lays it out. Stats start at 8, can't be lower. Each increase beyond 8 costs something, with the cost increasing at a certain point. Maximum stat allowed is 15.

>accused of minmaxing
There's no way this can be real... Right?

>if you take half your HP at once in damage
sorry, I'm a retard

Probably will do so next game.

That's what I said.

Are you retarded?
Why the fuck would you stay in that group?

Don't start them at level 17.

I have an entire BBEG the players have never encountered and do not know exist. I've alluded to him, I've shown in-game events he has caused, and placed hints at his origin all over the place. Instead, the players have found these clues and connected the dots wrongly, assuming the events are correlated to another, separate BBEG. They've occasionally questioned my ability at making a coherent plot by pointing out plot-holes, and they seem to think I don't really have a major plan for all of these. I enjoy watching them try to make sense of it though, it's partially their fault for avoiding 2 obvious situations that could have given them clues and to even have met the BBEG in question.

On an entirely different note, I have designed a megadungeon, meant to be taken in chunks. Transport to the entrance requires a stone in one of my PC's possession, but all they know is that it teleports them somewhere, and they're too scared to try it out right now. I'm planning on having it encompass 13 major trials by the end, with each trial ending in some kind of treasure or divine boon granted to the players when they complete it. Trials must be taken start to finish, and progress is only retained at the end of each. Currently I have up to Trial 5 completed, I've put a hold on it since they don't even want to use it at the moment.

what is the pool you pull from though?
how big is it
(that sounds awful btw)

Heaven is a nice place and the people they killed are unwilling to leave it for the sake of their murderers.

Either they have mental damage or they're trying to troll you.

In either case, you should leave.

Iirc, 27 points. Check the PHB.

>Plane Shift
>drag their dead ass back to the material

>some bullshit house-rule that you die if you take half your damage and fail a con check
It's not "some bullshit house rule", it's the Massive Damage rule in the DMG

I'm trying to push that angle but Iirc true res forces a soul back to a body
I didn't I'm taking over a campaign and in the process of destroying all the jank shit the previous dm gave the party

>taking over a campaign

Why would you do that? It's nearly impossible to do something well like that.

this is just silly
instead of having a point buy you should just get a 15 in the stats your class needs and an 8 in the ones it doesnt
thats what everyones gonna do anyway lmfao
dont even pretend your barbarians arent
15 15 15 8 8 8

No, the creature has to be free and willing.

its not just "1 point spent increases an ability score by 1", higher stats cost more so you could have a higher sum of stats but theyd all be lower, or you could specialize but have a lower sum of stats

I wouldn't know, my players don't play martials or do point buy. We roll for stats and allow the standard array as a backup option.

Thanks
Are there any res spells that don't require willing souls?
I'm taking over because our dm/friend running the campaign died 2 weeks ago

Anyone have experience with games at local game stores and/or public Adventure League games? I'm mostly curious what sort of classes and builds seem to be popular and unpopular.

>all those arguments about rolling for stats

I make my players roll for stats, point-buy if they aren't satisfied with their set.

Easy.

pussy

Let her nibble on you. Share her burden. Then off to magical realm during fullmoon.

Shit, you're right.

>Con +2 which is always useful, and Dex +1
>Bite as unarmed attack, meaning you can get your +2 AC without having to only deal 1+Str damage
>can get temporary hit points every short rest

Yeah, that's pretty fucking sweet. Though I will say, you wouldn't want to dump Wis, your Unarmored Defense will still eventually get better than the Lizardfolk AC bonus.

Holy shit man, that's horrible.

I can only suggest leading the campaign to its end, preferably with a good climax and a happy ending. You can't just fix what, like 17 levels of adventuring.

Actually, just going through the math.

There's a 50% chance of getting an odd number in a stat, which is like 50% of a modifier.
6*(0.25) = 1.5, so 16+1.5 = 17.5
17.5/6 = almost 3.
That means what they have is like having 16 in every single stat.
With human, that's 15 in every single stat before racial.

No matter how you look at it, there's no way they couldn't have cheated if this is 3d6.

It really just sounds like your group is keeping you around to be the 'only guy who didn't cheat on rolling stats' chucklefuck.

Then what's the point of rolling for stats? Better to just give them higher point-buy.

Everyone's level 11 to 8 right now, he just gave the warlock an iten to steal people's souls from nearby and transform into him
Hence warlock turning into high level cleric and ressurecting everyone after they die
Gotta take that item from him and break it in two as a bit of railroading but after that it's open world

Run. Run as far away from that group as fast as humanly possible, and never look back.

But then you will have to sacrifice str, con or dex to get it.

Pussy. Roll stat is all or nothing. Player has to accept the risk before they start rolling.

How does he pay for all those resurrection spell component?

That was after racial (variant human) though. But he rolled 18-14-13-17-12-12, we all saw that and were amazed.

I'm pretty sure the dice weren't loaded, they were mine. They immediately fucked me over on my rolls.

It's probably more respectful to your old DM to just end the campagin on good note.

It's just 300g finds right?
That's another thing I have to fix
He made 1 pp equal 1000gp without adjusting any other numbers
And gave everyone a shitton of cash
Thinking of inserting an in world event that adjusts currency or something
I was thinking this but the group really wanted to continue so I went along as the dm.

Why on earth would you bump strength though? Most that should be there is 10 so your bite does a flat d6 damage. The rest should be pumped into Dex and Wis to raise your AC up, with some in Con for more health.

Had some fall damage fun last session.

Goliath barbarian 6 and a human druid 2/barbarian 4 were on top of a bards college. Described as being 100ft the druid didn't want to wildshape into a spider and climb down so they opted to jump.

"You understand you'll take 10d6 fall damage yea?"
"Yep & Yeah"

So they jump, all 100ft. DM rolls damage and its about as minimum as it can go, only 12 (out of 60 possible!). Both of them raged mid fall so the damage was halved (both are bear totem) for 6 each.

The Goliath uses his 1/day 'Shrug it off' to roll a d12 and gets over a 6. He takes no damage falling 100ft
Meanwhile the druid/barb only takes 6hp.

Needless to say, the citizens and guards around watched in horror only to see the Goliath super man land and druid to casually brush himself off with a CW right after.

D&D 5e. Where falling 100ft hurts less than getting slapped by a napkin from a children's birthday party.

I'm the That Guy who likes having a balanced array of stats. I even went point buy when everyone else rolled for stats and have 18s and 20s in their primary stats. Meanwhile my highest stat is a 14. I'm still having fun playing a Thief Rogue. Cunning Action and Fast Hands is great fun and expertise helps shore up my lack of amazing ability scores.
>Not being the guy who helps back up party members by grappling and restraining foes, stabilizing party members, and scattering caltrops to slow pursuers

I just make players use the default array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Everyone can understand it, it amounts to the same thing as the standard point buy, it's easy to check to see if someone is cheating, and it weeds out any tryhards who want to minmax

How can you resist damage that has no applicable type?

> Players: we rage so damage is halved
> DM: You rage? At what?

Fuck barbarians and their "I decide to rage" mechanism. In my system you rage AT things.

Falling damage is bludgeoning damage. All damage has a type in 5e.

he cant be mad about falling?
lol
what a menial thing to bitch about

GM is making us start at level 1. What is the most obnoxiously overpowered character out of the gate?

Can barbarians maintain rage by taking the Attack action against themselves? What ways can a barbarian hurt themselves to maintain rage?

Stab yourself with a knife. The Sadist Barb

Well, I was almost right with the prediction.
That's an average of 14.33 in every stat, or a +2 to every stat. .. Before racials.

Calculating that as (Probabibility of rolling 18 or higher * 17 or higher * 14 or higher * 13 or higher * 12 or higher * 12 or higher), the probability is:
0.00005025%.
That's the chance of rolling those stats or higher.
..Hm, maybe I messed up somewhere (such as it doesn't have the probability of getting all 16s included, because a 16 would be worse than a 17 or 18) but that seems to be the real value, and it's literally a 1 in two million chance.

Why not just punch yourself? Or even better, punch your wounds? Kylo Ren did that to become angrier and boost his dark side powers.

Tranquility Monk

you really need to get laid

Are you a masochist?

Are you having fun?

Biting your lip or using an unarmed strike.

Two-weapon fighting is very nice at level 1 but drops off quickly. A human fighter with Dual Wielder and the two-weapon fighting style will be the best for a single session. Preferably give him non-matching weapons like a sword and an axe so he looks like that Heroquest guy.

I'd rather get un-laid to be honest.

We have mental health first-aiders in work now

ave him remember a traumatic memory

my group does standard 4d6 drop lowest, but if were unsatisfied we can take the standard array as a back up so we never have crippled characters, generally about half of us go standard array and half keep rolls. its fun to be strong or have a bonus. our monk rolled and 18 and 17 and two 5's and decided to keep the rolls. makes for some fun moments

Bear totem resists everything except psychic. So they don't take damage unless the ground is a phantasm.

Read sage advice.

Damage must be deal by a hostile creature is RAI.

I find this comforting

>monk goes wood elf
>monk, at level 2, can make three punches to deal 1d4+5, 1d4+5 and 1d4+5 damage each with +5 to hit
>monk has 19 AC
>by the time monk is level 5, they can have 20 AC and the saving throw on their stunning fist is 16

Goddamn monks.

And then they roll a save to disbelieve the illusion.

If they succeed, they miss the ground while falling and get in orbit.

If his weapon of choice is a quarterstaff that's actually d8+5 + 2d4+10 if he uses flurry of blow.
The first hit can come from your weapon.

I have no talent in drawing and I have to use mouse and paint but I tried just because

>1d4+5
>a +5 to hit

That to hit would imply you have 16 Dex. Where in the hell is the +5 damage coming from? Just out of curiosity, because it should be +3 damage per attack.

Also 19 AC is way off too, you'd only have 16 at level 2, assuming 16 or 17 Dex and 16 Wis.

don't forget that wood elves get bonus movement per round! 35 feet aw yeah

Does it have a door with a lock?

+5 to hit is +5 to hit over base chance, which is proficiency modifier.
Which means it's 20 dex.

Otherwise, they'd somehow be losing dex to keep the to-hit constant when I start talking about level 5 where their proficiency modifier is +3 instead.

Yeah, I keep forgetting.
It's overpowereed at low levels, but not gamebreaking at all. Definitely much better than a GWM fighter to start with, but the GWM will keep getting extra attacks and more attacks to action surge off of and plate armour.
Does mean they'll actually be able to start investing in feats (or con) starting at level 8, but eh. Since stats are capped at 20 their stunning strikes won't go to the moon.

Don't forget monk's speed on top of that.
They could also be a variant human with resilient (wis) and go 20 wis and 18 dex, but they get proficiencies in all saving throws later anyway.

Ah, just went up and saw the guy rolled and got 18s. Never mind, disregard that.

What's the deal with 8 int kobolds and diamond pickaxes?

>Moon Druids
>V. Human with Heavy Armor Master
>Fighter (I'm serious)
>Halfling Diviner
>Mountain Dwarf Abjurer
This are good options for 1-5

No, just a cube of adamantium wall

Anyone here played a warlock from level 7 to 10? I was doing the math and warlocks get pretty far behind in these levels when talking about spells per day

Also, fun fact:
>Warlocks are balanced around 1 short rest from 1st to 3rd level, but around TWO short rests for every other level.

That's a bit silly. Allowing your Barbarian to punch himself in the face to maintain rage isn't that far-fetched as it deals a fair amount of damage.

"Adamantine has 40 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 20."
Hire some mooks, give them a stockpile of weapons/picks, and just have them beat the everloving shit out of the cube until they break through. It'll take a while, sure, but they'll get it done eventually.

/5e/ memes:

>8 int wizards
>Can a level 20 fighter defeat a group of kobolds?
>Bugbears with whips
>Diamond pickaxe are the best! They can't' be destroyed!
>4e is the best edition, do you like 4e?!

They are fine. Level 9 is my favorite. Fire Shield for melee oriented locks and G. Invis 4 or 6 times a day is delicious

The idea is to limit barbarian's rage somewhat, so barbarian's rage can be countered by avoiding/trapping/calming the barbarian.

If they can just punch themselves in the face for one or two damage, they'd just end up doing that instead.
Unless there's a baseline 'you must deal this much damage to yourself' then it's just trying to reduce the number of ways something can be countered.

>tfw no short rests, only lots of long rests all the time and people seem to hate the 7 day long rest rule