Lets settle this: guy playing a girl character, weird or not?

lets settle this: guy playing a girl character, weird or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11870829
youtube.com/watch?v=YAPlmEHo9QQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only if they make it weird. same for girls playing boy characters

Only if he does falsetto for the character's voice.

Not inherently weird. Can easily be made weird, but not inherently weird.

>same for girls playing boy characters
my experience is every girl does this, but not every guy does the inverse

All of my players are playing female characters
Help

This. It's only weird if the player makes it weird. I've seen some amazing characters from people playing the opposite sex.

This. I trust my players to play characters of other races, religions, cultures, species, origins, mindsets, and politics. At no point is gender the hardest thing for them to shift on.

Are we having a vote? I vote AYE, AWKWARD.

I play a female character in what was supposed to be a joking one-shot, but ended up becoming an extended, mostly-serious campaign. user, I promise you, that as long as you actually play the character with reasonable psychology and don't go too lecherous (cheesecake is acceptable, depending on party content), then people won't mind and might actually start 'mirin your ability to keep your roleplay tonally acceptable in a context so frequently decried and tied to That Guy.

Be a reasonable and sensical human being, and there won't be any problems.

Oh look, this thread again. Yes pretty sure THIS one will settle it OP.

It's weird but let's be honest, closet homos wanting to play as little girls and manchildre playing sluts aren't the weirdest shit you're gonna find in this hobby.

Can't imagine why.

But the question is: Can he imitate the female voice? How good is at it?

I get that it's a roleplaying game, and I'm fully willing to suspend disbelief that the 400lb dude is playing a 20 CHA handsome ladies man because when I'm behind the screen and all I hear is his voice, it's not that unbelievable; voice is a huge part of roleplaying.

But men can't put on a convincing enough female voice to ever break the barrier that I and the rest of my players won't perceive them as a male. They may state their character as female, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a fucking dude sitting at the table who sounds like a dude. Same with females playing as a male. I have a rule that you play as your gender in all of my games.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even have female NPCs in my campaigns because it's just totally unbelievable and immersion breaking for me to attempt female mannerisms and speech, and let's be reasonable: female characters just for the sake of having a female character or NPC brings nothing unique to the table, it's not going to completely change the TTRPG conventions just because the quest giving sympathetic NPC is a female or male, so why should I risk immersion being broken by playing something so outside of the realm of believability? If there HAS to be a female NPC, they don't get any direct voiced lines, simple as that. But a PC can't play without voiced lines so it's trashed at my table.

tl;dr I don't think it's weird, just wholly unnatural.

>People roleplaying as the opposite sex is more unnatural than female NPCs never appearing in an entire campaign or appearing only as mutes

Yikes.

I think the real issue is how delicate your sense of immersion is.

If someone as simple as an imperfect voice totally shatters your sense of immersion, what about the fact you are rolling dice or lets say, sitting at a table?

I guess you're really fucked.

Not weird by itself, but can and will be used by weirdos.

Just watch some online voice tutorials for shemales.

A little bit weird.
But only a little.

I didn't say they were mutes not in the sense you'd like to imply, just not voiced by me and instead their vocal actions during an amount of time summarized by narration rather than played out on the spot.

Stop scaring away my crows mate

That's still unnatural as fuck if you're roleplaying all male NPCs in the first person but abruptly switch to a dispassionate third person viewpoint and describe or summarize what female NPCs say or do

First post most accurate post to my opinion.

This is a stupid bait question. Playing a character is already weird. The only time it's a problem is when the character is played stupidly, same as literally every other character trait. I've known otherwise reasonable people who'll put on a ching chong nip nong Charlie Chan voice.

Are you for real motherfucker?

>this has never been discussed

Veeky Forums pretty much agrees it's fine, only a few very vocal fringe spergs disagree.

Depends. I applaud anyone that tries to RP outside what they know. But for fuck's sake, they need have some chill and not be a goddamn creep about it.

Short answer: it depends
long answer: IIIIT DEEEPEEEENDS

now source on pic

It's weird.

But this is a weird hobby, so, eh.

Alright OP, let's settle this in an irrevocable manner.

strawpoll.me/11870829

Depends on the game. Not only is it not weird in Magical Burst, but doing the opposite is weird.

Seeing as how my all male group is playing a campaign of KanColle RPG not really. If you're all mature about it then it's fine. If you game with people who aren't then maybe stay away from it.

perfectly acceptable if done correctly and correctly is determined mostly by your GM and your players. So basically depends on the setting

I would say it's not weird in general but if they do it for every game or makes it tastelessly sexual it would be a bit strange.

its a comic by marian churchland / hchom. shes really good you should check out her art.

Voice training takes months of serious dedication

Is that 8house Arclight? I need to get back into that if its still going

>guy playing a girl character, weird or not?

We need to answer a preliminary question first: are there any women or mangina's present?
>Yes
Don't play a girl, you'll step on someone's feefees and eventually the whole group will turn against you for offending a bitch
>No
Keep your dick in your pants and everything is fine

>But men can't put on a convincing enough female voice to ever break the barrier that I and the rest of my players won't perceive them as a male
youtube.com/watch?v=YAPlmEHo9QQ

Gaaaaaaaay

Okay I give up. Are you baiting?
I legitimately can't tell. No one can be this autistic.

t. satan

In Greek theatres men played as female characters. Nowadays there are cases where some actors have to play female characters.
Shouldn't be a big deal

What if you have to play the opposite sex in this game? Males play females, and females play males?

Only if girls playing guy characters can also be settled.

In Greek theaters they were also whores, you know.

So you just made it more freaking weird, good job.

it's not weird, we call them transexuals

Doesn't count if you're playing Magical Burst or MAID.

>Completely failing to understand gender, reassignment, or transgenderism in general
Are you baiting or what?

Never

Is it weird for a male writer to create a female character?

I'm playing a reverse trap, so it's okay.

>Getting triggered on Veeky Forums

I think he is joking you fag. And if not, why would you reply to something you think is bait?

You stupid or something?

Only if he bases her on his ex girlfriend and has the character get tortured and raped by dogs or some shit.

You realize that by that logic you're also getting triggered, right?

>why would you reply to something you think is bait?
Pic related

>hurr durr no ur triggered

fuck off retard

Weird and creepy. Fortunately, in my country, homosexualiy is a crime and being effeminate makes you a social pariah. It's quite easy to shame those weird creepers into toeing the line.

This is just like those "socially aceptable" homosexuals who complain about faggots, blaiming them for discrimination and siding with the opressors.
Embrace the little girl inside you Veeky Forums, it feels good...

>he takes transgenderism seriously
Yeah, the reason half of them try to kill themselves (and often succeed) is because of the oppression of evil white Christian men, not because they're severely mentally ill. Fuck off.

guys just embrace your manliest voice into your new female pc it's fine

uh can you elaborate? just for clarification?

I haven't had a problem with it, but I only play with my friends. It's quite easy to see past the player if the character feels believable.

Every time someone asks me to voice a female PC I'm playing in-voice I give the Dr. Girlfriend voice. They don't usually ask me a second time.

No. it is not weird. Most people have the ability to understand other human beings therefore the concept of actually trying to play something else than you are comes from.

People who get weirded out from this are usually: Teenagers or people who don't have clear understanding about themselves as humans.

>weird or not?
Yes.

I'd say it depends on the format. If it's over text with no voice then there is nothing that weird about it, but if you are playing over voice or meeting in person, it is kind of weird having a dude read female dialogue.

I'm an effeminate gay guy and, while I mostly dm, whenever I play a character they're mostly women. I don't talk for them in a falsetto. I don't play stereotypes or generic "strong women". I don't even really think about the gender all that much really. I just play a character who happens to be a woman.

Unless they take every opportunity to describe how her tits bounce as she moves and makes a point of having her fuck everything that moves, I could care less. Otherwise, that's the point I politely ask them to stop.