Synonym for "mana"

I'm looking for a word for "magical energy force". Mana and magicika are too generic for me. Up to this point I've been using "chi" as I like the philosophical implications of it. Problem is I think it has TOO many implications on how it should function. In my setting magic energy originates from within the soul or divine beings and would like something to go along with it.

I like abstract philosophical concepts like "pneuma" which is what souls are composed of in universe. Couldn't just be made up but I w our perfer "real world" concepts.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vril
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thaum, as in thaumaturgy.

Seeing as Mana originates from a religious concept in Polynesia, it'd do you well to search for similar concepts in other pagan beliefs around the world.

Pulling something from Australian Aborigine or Native American folklore could be pretty interesting and new.

Vis.

It's old school for lifeforce Latin I believe if not Greek.

Chakra like naruto
Chi like buddah
Soul like taoism
Mana like wizard
Fury like Arcana
Divinity like church
Magika like pagan

All slightly different but are internal forces derived from will power and can be naturally gifted to some.

That's a good one, I like the "flavor" of it. Like I said I'm looking for words that give a feeling or theme of spirituality

>Seeing as Mana originates from a religious concept in Polynesia, it'd do you well to search for similar concepts in other pagan beliefs around the world.

?????

I'm 100% sure that mana refers to the biblical mana.

psi

You could just make something up and make it sound like it comes from some ancient culture.

> Mana
> (the) Force
> Astral-Energy
> Astral-Power

All nice additions, I especially like the "willpower" bit. I enjoy magic being the mental and spiritual equivalent of power lifting

>Mana is a word found in Austronesian languags meaning "power, effectiveness, prestige," where in most cases the power is understood to be supernatural.[1] The exact semantics depends on the language. The concept is a major one in Polynesian cultures. It is part of contemporary Pacific Islander culture. The term came to the attention of western anthropologists through the reports of missionaries in the islands. Its study was included in the topic of cultural anthropology, specifically in the anthropology of religion. Links were seen between it and an earlier phase of western religion, animism at first, then pre-animism.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana

Then it would be food instead of magic soul essence. And spelt manna instead of mana. Basically, you are entirely incorrect.

That's two ns, nigga.

Mojo, Od, Prana, Shakti, Juice, Viscera, Power, Will, Breath, Spirit, Medicine, Quintessence, Ectoplasm, Energy, Vibrations, Godsblood, blah blah blah

Astra

Not saying you guys are wrong, just saying the biblical one is sometimes written as mana too. Check the wiki if you want. Just showing my surprise at an obscure concept of an obscure culture becoming so important in the hobby.

in the dark eye, all life and matter is made up of
> Sikaryan (which is life force also fuelling magic)
> Nayrakis (which equates to a godly force keeping life force together)

Stars?

Star magic?

OP here

This is great stuff guys a lot of food for thought. I almost forgot how many catchy words there were for magic. I thought I was gonna have to make up a word or use an obscure pretentious concept no one has ever heard of.

> Starpower
> Staressence
> Breath of (xxx)
> the Blessing

> Soul-force
> Spirit-force
> Spirit-Essence
> Spiritual Energy
> the Occult (Power)

maybe think of it in terms of elements,
there's the six main elementy,
> 1) Stone
> 2) Fire
> 3) Water
> 4) Humus
> 5) Air
> 6) Ice

and then maybe
> 7) Magic Power
> 8) Godly Power

Prana. We Vedic now.

The whole thing about those words is they derive from power that can't be described. It's like an invisible organ in the body you can train. Which also leads to possible explosions and draw backs.

The Christian soul describes it well. Something inside you you can't explain, almost like a fire that can grow and dwindle. With less god fearing and more god smiting.

Power Jizz

>Muh prana.
Fuck off Brutus go kill your best friend.

Don't forget aether.

(and then I don't mean in the 19th century sense but in the sense of Aristotelian natural philosophy, where it was the 5th element and the stuff that the moon and the stars were made of)

Although mana and magicka are too generic for you, I like the term "Energy" since it's all inclusive and doesn't necessarily differentiate between where it comes from, it just is. People can gather energy from different sources whether it be the land (like MtG I guess, or just fonts of flowing power).

It can be something innate that people can muster from their willpower or the courage inside them, or it can come from the soul or whatever. Just a catchall.

Alternatively you can use the Greek prefixes
Somat - body
Luc - light
Cor or Cord - heart
Anima - mind, passion, soul

The Juice.

Ah yes, the Quintessence.

"Essence" sounds fine to me

OP here
That's an interesting take on the etymology. Perhaps keeping it that vague does give a sense of mystery while still being immediately easy to understand, no confer required.

Having the "building blocks" is nicest well, I am a butt slut for Greek and Latin

>pneuma
>phlegm-based magic

Mana
Magicka
Ether
Aether
Flux
Vim
Vis
Thuam
Astra
Will
Essence
Spirit
Prana
Lux
Anima
Soul
Voice
Vigour
Drive
Potence
Ki
Tech
Energy
Focus
Psynergy

I don't know if it has precedent, so I may look a fool here, but psynergy made me chuckle. Its what psychoactive businesses really want to move that pafadigm.

Discworld did this

Just "spirit" sounds pretty good to me.

>use an obscure pretentious concept no one has ever heard of.
Apeiron.
That's a good one. Nothing like some good Pre-Socratic Metaphysics for coming up with magic names.

Vril - Old timey magic energy from 1871 scific book, likened to magical electricity and now used among neo and old nazis for their occult things.

Barakah - islamic word for blessings of god which flow through people and objects

Silap Inua - Inuit word akin to mana or aether.

Odic force - also called Od [õd], Odyle, Önd, Odes, Odylic, Odyllic, or Odems. Coined by weird german in 1845 after Odin to describe the vital life force of living creatures and emanated by objects.

Orgone - another term created by a weird german in 1930 for another form of spiritual energy.\

Akasha - another hindu word for a magical substance, equal to aether

Shakti - the energy source for prana in hinduism

Heka - ancient egypt word for magical power and also the god who personified it.

Numen - ancient roman word for mana like thing

>Odic force
Not entirely sure, but wouldn't Seid be a more appropriate word?

No, it's literally named after Odin. That's why it's called odic. It's not a norse word but some strange thing crafted wholesale by a weird german.

Fucking germans I swear

Seidr is a different thing entirely.

Even for occultists, German occultists are fucking weird.

Golden Sun nigga

You could use the joule. A magic caster's power can also be measured in watt.

>Barakah
I like it

I'm partial to Power a la Castaneda and friends

That's manna, you dolt.

Can confirm, from New Zealand and the concept of mana is still used a lot among Maori people, especially to do with their power, prestige and family

>the biblical one is sometimes written as mana too.

by literally no-one

Vril.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vril

>Vril
We Vril buddies!

>Orgone

Good one, tho Reich was Austrian.

Don't down play Orgone.
It's fucking magic!
Literally energy one makes during sex.
They sold devices to contain and harness it in a more enlightened time.

>Orgone energy
Don't forget you can also use it to control the weather!

>Barakah - islamic word for blessings of god which flow through people and objects
I'm working on a setting where magic is largely focused on the gods and mystic objects, so this is wonderful for me. Any other words that have about the same meaning? As fitting as the meaning is a single Islamic word might stand out a bit when the rest of the setting doesn't take much from that culture.

Breath is a good one, they use it as an obscure alternative in Exalted.

>Chakra like naruto
[angry hindu noises]

Fuckin mojo.

Yeeees

>Psynergy

I can't think of anything that's already established as opposed to "just made up" (as a linguist, that statement confuses the shit out of me, it's all just made up, wtf?) but some "made up" words that might have bearing to what you are looking for:

Transcenciae (from transcendent)
Acorpora (not from the body, as in to imply the soul)

Another thing I like to do is mess around with construction and create phonetically similar words like:
Ahjada, from the Spanish word hallar (to find, discover, can also mean to be situated); the H carries no enunciated sounds in the word, and the double-elle can be pronounced with a very hard J as in the French "je", like "Je ne sais quoi".

I can assure you, as a linguist, that is perfectly acceptable to create new words either based on preexisting grammar/linguistic concepts or based on completely unprecedented decisions. Language is a living thing, as long as these places holders for information exchange actually facilitate the exchange of the intended information, they are "words" and only a "Language" major will argue with you that it's not the case.

I know that does nothing to resolve your desire for preexisting terminology, but hopefully it helps.

Pnuema = Spirit
Sarx = Flesh
Soma = Body

Though, in your world, soma could be the intersection of flesh and spirit, where the body itself creates magic.

If you want something germanic, go with "od" (from "odem")

juju

Vinegar.

From piss and Vinegar.

Flow
Pull
Vultae
Something like "weave", if your setting uses fabric of reality/magic arcana system

magica
arcana

Moxie!

I don't know about Greek, but life in Latin is vita.

Good Boy Points

I chuckled.

>I use 15 GBP to cast Wall of Tendies!

Actually, it's called "maná" in spanish, but people often drop the tilde and write it "mana".

Vis, roboris is 'physical strength, might' in latin. You got most of them totally wrong.
-Soma is the name for body, somat is the prefix, that's the one you got right.
-Fòs, fotòs is light, you totally invented Luc, it's used but it's an etimological root from lux, that's not a prefix and not even greek, that's latin.
-Kàrdia is heart in greek, corda is latin, Cor is neapolitan italian, stop eating pizza between translations
-anima is latin for soul and in greek it's called Psyché (pronounced ps-u-ké) even though it reminds of psyche and mind.

The game The Void uses Lympha and Nerva. Lympha is colour you take in, and it is processed by your hearts (odd game) in to Nerva, that you can use to power various abilities

>Check the wiki
Please, someone tell me there are religious wikis out there.

>G-d.wikia.com