EDH/Commander General

Discord Edition
Previous thread: >New Discord Server: Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool; finding games on mtgo, xmage, and cockatrice; and general tomfoolery.
discordapp.com/invite/rk3vgtg

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Thread question: What's a fun auto-include jank card you run?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/w-e-i-r-d-s-c-i-e-n-c-e/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-12-16-wGb-test/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ezuri-rip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teysas-darkest-hour-rip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragonforcedec-kolaghan/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trumpets-intensify-liu-bei/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-torture-room-cao-cao/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pillage-and-burn-lu-bu/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ambush-lady-zhurong/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/infiltration-lu-xun/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-burning-host-aurelia/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-conjurer-cutie/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-swarm-insect-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gonna-drop-the-sky-on-ya/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/step-1-pick-up-deck-step-2-throw-at-friend/
reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/5i3xk5/making_an_edh_league_and_need_a_points_list_where/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>black is my favorite colour
>want to build three decks that have black in them
>need three diabolic tutors and three vampiric tutors

Just.

I mean, I'll give you three Vampirics being a kick in the dick, but three Diabolic Tutors is less than a dollar.

Unless you meant Demonic.

>Discord circlejerk

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/w-e-i-r-d-s-c-i-e-n-c-e/

BEHOLD, my rework of a bad Mizzix deck.

I also probably need work on my shitty Thrax deck.

You'd think 100 cards with only 1 of each in a deck would make it easy to build decks, but there's still like 20 cards I wanna add and nothing to remove for them...

I keep confusing those two, yeah I meant demonic.

Mandatory 45ish cards for mana and extras for deck manipulation, redundant effects, removal, and the skeleton list for the deck's theme really don't leave much wiggle room for some Commanders. Made a Freyalise deck the other day I had to make 26 cuts from to get it down to size and it was painful.

>45ish cards for mana
How many fucking mana rocks are you running?

I stick to about 37 to 39 lands. Then 5 to 7 additional resources of either ramp spells or rocks, the higher the curve the higher number of mana sources. It's been the magic number for me.

You ever have one of those games where you don't do anything for the whole fucking game and then, suddenly, you win?

Happened to me. Buddy plays what I would call Daxos pillow fort. Windborn Muse, Blazing Archon, Propaganda, that sort of thing. He'd made a bunch of 2/2 tokens and they were all flying because the other guy had made him mill a shit load and Wonder went in the graveyard. So Daxos guy was gonna win.

Meanwhile, I was playing Niv-Mizzet and had done nothing all game. Just nothing was coming into my hand. I had Niv and Jace's Archivist down when Daxos flew in to swarm both of us. I played Blue Sun's Zenith in response, filled my hand to thirteen cards and then wheeled with the Archivist, making Daxos guy draw to his death. Only had twelve cards in his library.

Next turn was mine and the other guy was tapped out, so there was nothing stopping me from doing it again and killing him with Niv damage.

So I won, but it was weirdly unsatisfying.

>Jank
Never have I experienced such a mess of missed triggers and messy stacks, still love it though.
You'll probably want Cruise and Dig, with only 10 artifacts and 1 artifact token generator you probably won't have Metallurgic Summons online most of the time though it's first ability is still great. Did they print a token for it?
D E S O L A T E L I G H T H O U S E

Future Sight truly was the best set.

Summoning is really only there to attach bodies to my spells, I didn't even read what the second ability was to be perfectly honest with you.

I'll figure out what to trim for Cruise and Dig, though; part of my irritation with the original Mizzix deck was it felt like the deck was all filters/draws/fixing and no actual gas, so I probably overcorrected. Thank you for the input.

I'm running 36 lands right now. Either I'm overflowing in mana, or starving for one extra critical Plains or something.

I just wrote up a maybeboard of all the cards I'd like along with their prices and if my FLGS has them in stock or not. All of them would be nice, but one in particular I know I'm gonna need to make room for since it's just so important, but it's not for sale there and I'd hate to order online from somewhere else.

Gotta online list to solicit anonymous opinions on the cuts?

I really admire you wanting to support your local shop, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with defaulting to 'buy online' if the shop just doesn't have the card you want.

Sure
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-12-16-wGb-test/

I've changed it quite a few times now, and this is definitely the best it's running, but the big cards I'd love to add are Inexorable Tide, and Viral Drake for more proliferates. I'm also playing with the idea of adding a Vraska the Unseen and/or a Nissa, Voice of Zendikar and a bunch of other nice cards but again, no clue what to drop. I also feel like I'm too low on removal.

The deck is just stuck in a weird spot because it's struggling with being an infect deck while also being a +1/+1 counter deck, and it doesn't quite know which it is sometimes.

Run this in all my decks that include Dimir. It's strangely fun to play with. The name also makes for great jokes, and the card is very flavorful too.

>Discord
Fuck off.

>Thread question: What's a fun auto-include jank card you run?
I love darksteel reactor, mainly because I love people looking at the Doom clock and trying to work out how to stop it.

Current decks and Links for those who care.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ezuri-rip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teysas-darkest-hour-rip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragonforcedec-kolaghan/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trumpets-intensify-liu-bei/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-torture-room-cao-cao/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pillage-and-burn-lu-bu/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ambush-lady-zhurong/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/infiltration-lu-xun/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-burning-host-aurelia/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-conjurer-cutie/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-swarm-insect-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gonna-drop-the-sky-on-ya/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/step-1-pick-up-deck-step-2-throw-at-friend/

Look how cool I am with my unpopular opinion

Hey I'm interested in building pic related as a spellslinger deck. Can R/G tangle with spell slinging Izzet decks, or will I always be a step behind? I don't expect to have the potential of a commander like Mizzex, but I'd like to still maintain a passable threat. There's lots of good utility for destroying artifacts, enchantments, lands, and even nuking creatures in the colors.

I plan to run an amount of "fuck you, blue!" With pyro/red elemental blast and Boil/Boiling Seas. You can get reasonably big mana and kill with fireball type spells, but while it is amusing I'm struggling to see any clear or unique advantage R/G spellslinger would have over U/R. Am I missing any key things, or would this kind of deck just be needlessly handycapping myself?

Your biggest problem is that dropping blue for green hurts your card-drawing ability. Green CAN draw cards, but it generally requires some creature-centric shit, which won't be at full potential in a 'spellslinging' deck.

OP here. Channel has been requested for several threads now. Last thread finely got one made and they asked it was included in next thread. If it doesn't take off then next thread maker can remove it if they want. Just trying to help the general out.

>friend tells me to try Reddit's EDH board
>find shit like this reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/5i3xk5/making_an_edh_league_and_need_a_points_list_where/ floating around
Oh fuck I can't stop laughing. Any of you guys play with house rules this retarded?

Hey, a points league can be interesting. It's the best way to encourage people not to just build pubstomp shit or uninteractive combo decks to rack up 'wins'.

cards like wild guess turn into card advantage with her, and run some green card recursion so at least you can get two cards back and play again. i went for a land ramp/hate theme

>But We Just Started!, -4 points: Eliminate an opponent before the 45-minute timer has gone off
>Too Many Options!, -1 point: Draw/add more than 6 cards to your hand; only net card gain is counted (so looting effects are +0 cards), and exceptions are made if the effect explicitly says "draw seven" (eg, Wheel of Fortune)
>It's Legit, Just Not THAT Legit, -1 point: Eliminate more than one opponent using poison counters
How could anyone be this autistic?

I come to Veeky Forums specifically for anonymous discussion, and Discord is explicitly not anonymous.

The problem is she costs a lot to set that up, and she's really easy to kill for how much she costs. Without her on board, your cards become loot effects again.

I know people who play with a rule that you can have 3 cards in your deck that don't have the right color identity, they have a houserule where you can use any legendary permanent as commander (one dude had Urborg as commander once), and they play with 20 poison counters.

I haven't gone within 50 feet of these retards since I heard this.

To be fair, I had not read the actual things before I posted, I thought the general 'what the fuck' was the concept of a points league.

I'm okay with using 'penalties' to discourage stuff that saps the fun out of the game (I have no problems with -1 point for chaining 3 turns, for example, or a harsh penalty for the Douche Scoop), but yeah, those are a bit much. I'm fine (in theory, at least) with something to discourage KOing someone super early, but "no deaths before 45 minutes" is just cancerous. Some games go quicker.

>Banned Aetherflux Reservoir, Chaos Orb, Deadeye Navigator, Entomb, Falling Star, Food Chain, Gaea’s Cradle, Grindstone, Hermit Druid, Imperial Seal, Kozilek Butcher of Truth, Loyal Retainers, Mana Drain, Mishra’s Workshop, Palinchron, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Triumph of the Hordes, Ulamog the Infinite Gyre, and Vampiric Tutor (In addition to the normal banlist. I modified the 1vs1 and added some problem cards)
Every time I go in, I come out with more gold

Yeah, I understand the clear disadvantages of dropping blue, but I'm looking, I'm just looking for cards in green that would justify that swap. It isn't a straight up downgrade, green has a lot of nice land ramp spells and obviously great creatures, but I'm not sure if it's good enough for the deck archetype to trade that color.

I like the gimmick factor of playing "out of left field" decks, but at the same time I don't want to play a shittier version of an Izzet deck just so I can feel unique. Basically, I think Wort has a great ability, but I'm struggling to think of/find good things to use it with.

There are a few ways around this with this deck: Doubling up on cantrips and, even better, doubling up on Tormenting Voice effects, where the discard is an additional cost, not an effect of the spell.

Pic related is also great in this deck. It's like a non-permanent friendly Genesis Wave.

Stupidest thing I've seen is people who houseruled that foil card did 'double'.

As in, a foil Llanowar Elves would be a 2/2 for G, and would tap for GG. A foil Mana Crypt tapped for 6 mana. A foil Lightning Bolt does 6 damage, etc.

I have no idea why they houseruled that, because they barely had any foil cards.

user I unfortunately browse that board and I'd heavily advise staying the fuck away from it. It"s a constant back and forth jerkathon between competitive players and 75% players.

And no I don't house rule. Some guy a few threads ago talked about his playgroup letting someone run 5 colors with Emrakul as his commander and I laughed pretty hard.

>Justify that swap
Oh, all you need to justify the swap is "I wanna build this deck". Just because you're gonna run into some problems with card advantage doesn't mean it's untenable, it's just a weakness you need to be aware of. Kinda like how a R/U deck is gonna have a slightly hard time dealing with creatures and enchantments.

If you're trying specifically to do "Spellslinging, but in RG" you're making a shittier version of an Izzet deck, but if you're doing "Fun spells to conspire" that's a whole other kind of deck, so you're golden.

I never thought I'd see someone make EDH even more p2w. But hot damn if that doesn't do it.

>douche scoop

user, it's just conceding. Remember that only minorities and women are allowed to rename and redefine things in order to pretend somebody has harmed them.

Conceding is fine. "Douche scoop" is usually used to refer to 'strategic concession', like conceding in response to a Prophetic Bolt that would kill you so your opponent doesn't get any cards out of it, or conceding in response to an attack so your opponent doesn't get damage triggers/life gain off lifelink, or in a League setting scooping to deny your opponent some points for something.

Right? I had a fair few foils in the deck that I brought to that shop, and because they refused to allow me to just play normally they got obliterated. Turns out when your random foil basics tap for 2 mana and your foil fetchland finds 2 lands and your foil draw spells draw twice as many cards, you become an unstoppable god.

Please keep /pol/ out of the thread. We're a happy general most of the time.

>I know people who play with a rule that you can have 3 cards in your deck that don't have the right color identity
wat

>they have a houserule where you can use any legendary permanent as commander
WAT

>one dude had Urborg as commander once
STAHP

>and they play with 20 poison counters.
Eh, they're fucking pussies, but whatever I guess I can see that.

Pic related

r8 me

>Lotus petal is nearly black lotus
>masterpieces are x3

Take your fucking lumps like a man, you shitter. I've had people do this, and everyone else just agreed that what would have happened if you hadn't scooped happens. Play the game, don't be a pussy.

I am going to chose to believe you're lying for attention because if you're not this is the darkest fucking post I've ever seen on this board. Holy fuck.

>tfw you scoop on some shitters FaF trigger
>everyone laughs at him and the next person untaps and avenges you by killing him

1) YOU SONUVABITCH!
2) But seriously, why AREN'T you playing Rhys
3) (n)tyrhard(n+2)me
4) I'd run Jazal Goldmane or Odric, Master Tactician but that's just me

usually by the time she dies i ramped or can ramp enough to play her again. battle hymn and brightstone ritual can bring her right back from a spot removal. hell ive traded her with another commander because i knew i could just blow up a few lands and prevent them from recasting thiers while be able to play mine since she only needs one color.

>Play the game, don't be a pussy.
>104.3a A player can concede the game at any time. A player who concedes leaves the game immediately. He or she loses the game.
>A player can concede the game at any time.
>at any time.
Sounds like they are playing the game, user. Why won't you let them play by the rules?

to be honest, it's not a tokens deck so rhys would be mediocre. It's more of a gen wave/tooth and nail cop out deck with a big toolbox for chord and green sun's.

Is it bad that my only house rule is that you can use hybrid cards if at least one of their colors is in your color identity?

>Foil maelstrom wanderer
>Cascade x4
Fuck that'd be some spicy tech. So spicy, it's shit

So playing pretend and refusing to admit what empirically happened is not being a pussy? The game mechanics are very clear about this. You are not entitled to cards that used to exist in the game.

You can houserule all you want, but you're the one that feels entitled to something you're not supposed to get.

Metallurgic summons usually bring online iself in not much time in a dedicated deck.

>have a monoblack discard reanimator control deck
>the basic lands I use in that deck are all the foil swamps I've gotten from packs in all my years of magic

Unstoppable god indeed.

>2+2=5

No it's 4 you double nigger

>ACSHUATYRALLY ur reddit. See how fat and bald you are?

>gets called out for being wrong
>le reddit losers xxd
Must suck being developmentally disabled, huh, big guy?

Uhhh what the fuck that card is awesome

>BULLSHIT RAMP ROUTE
>fetch Valakut and something to copy it with Crop Rotation
>ramp Forests for a while
>play Boundless Realms for every Mountain in your deck

>TOKEN ROUTE
>make assloads of tokens because Gruul is Token City
>conspire the token spells
>Second Harvest
>Craterhoof for obscene damage

Wort is fun. Build it. A lot of people don't see it coming until it's far too late.

That's why it's called a douche scoop. It's perfectly legal in game rules but it's also unsportsmanlike

>Each round in which you have a net negative score earns a warning. Three warnings in a season (with warnings from week 9 rolling over to week 1 of the following season) earns a 1-week ban from the league. Then a 1-month ban. Then a 1-year ban. Fortunately, we have only ever had to ban someone once.

Holy shit.

Let's not forget
>HOLY SHIT THE FIREBALLS Route

>The 2 Eldrazi are banned because of the shuffle effect allowing any deck to eliminate the mill archetype completely by adding 1 card.
Really makes you think

Autism incarnate.

>We're so autistic that we can't just kick people out for being douchers

It's biggest weakness is that it can only enchant instant cards, but triggers off of sorceries. You'll want a large amount and good balance of both to make it worthwhile at all.

>if your commander doesnt have blue it's shit

Why is blue so OP?

Countering my threaten effect is sportsmanlike.
Using a sac outlet to prevent your effect is sportsmanlike.
Tapping homeward path is sportsmanlike.
Using a fucking moltensteel dragon to neg myself to 0 in response is sportsmanlike.

Yet scooping up your cards is unsportsmanlike because the capability to lose the game at any time doesn't give you a big visual reminder, so your brain allows you to concoct a fantasy of how to win the game that doesn't work due to the rules of the game, and that is somehow somebody else's wrongdoing.

You wouldn't come up with a crackpot play to use another player's cards when they have moltensteel dragon and unspeakable symbol in play, why is it wrong for them to exercise the EXACT SAME FUNCTION?

If it makes these players feel any better, you can use the attached artwork to make a token and write on it "I may lose the game at will at any time for any reason," that way people's feelings won't get hurt when they attempt a play that might not work.

>Added an "infamy" tracker based loosely on another thread. Decks accrue infamy for certain cards or interactions. High infamy decks are forced into the same pod. In the event of small number of players, people with significantly lower infamy receive bonus points for playing against these people. Same goes for playing against anyone playing a Tier I or II general. Sure you killed the table turn 4, but everyone earned more points than you because of your spikey-ness

This thread is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Are you retarded?

Hey, they need an additional card if they go for infinite mill, that's hard.
Or they have to mill thrice as much.

This isn't the shittiest idea in the world, but it's just a really convoluted way of having weight classes in EDH. Who the fuck wants to play kangee feather counter tribal against teferi stax?

>win X games with deck
>now you can no longer win the league at all with said deck, due to accrued infamy, even though you are playing in the same fashion
>forced to make a new deck unless you want to instantly lose every game when you start it

No, that system seems pants on head retarded

Having weight classes or trying to pair decks together by powerlevel is just fine, but all that other bullshit they tacked on just threw it in the gutter

can someone explain to me what lantern control is?

It's my favorite modern deck.

You use Lantern of Insight + Mill artifacts (Like Codex Shredder) to make sure your opponents draws fucking suck, while you hide behind an Ensnaring Bridge.

Lantern of Insight lets you look at their top card. If that top card is something scary (Say, artifact removal, a planeswalker or a lightning bolt), you just activate your mill artifact. Now there's a land on top? Sure, you can draw that.

Repeat until your opponent concedes out of frustration or runs out of cards

It's a control deck in Modern that uses Lantern of Insight combined with cards that mill the top card of your opponent's library to pretty much control what your opponent can and can't draw off the top of their deck.

That's some disgusting shit. I'd play it

I think you can do spell slinging and actually draw way more cards BUT, you have to spell sling with tokens

There are a lot of instants and sorceries that make a lot of tokens, great with conspire, and they turn collective unconscious into a much better draw spell than you will get in blue

I have a lot of experience building pretty much every colour combination, except izzet, and this is the last one I need for my 2 colour deck cycle. I can acquire just about anything if I put my mind to it, and my budget is under $200, though I have a large collection of surprising things.

How does one build izzet? Is artifact izzet a stupid idea to try and cobble together without a legendary artificer? What are the staple instant/sorceries I should keep my eye out for?

>taking your ball and going home
>while the ball is mid-air heading towards the goal
>sportsmanlike

Guys I sugjest a new paradigm.

So let's say you are collaborating with your friends on designing a moba/smash brothers/whatever game and you are making up what the characters do. You could theoretically make one character the best for no reason, but that would be boring.

"i'm technically allowed to set all of the stats of this character to maximum so he wins every time"
But that's retarded.

"Ok, so we need to have a power budget or point system or..."
There is no way you can formalize this shit to not be abusable. We are designing a game, have some basic concept of what gameplay you are trying to achieve instead of mary-sueing the fuck out and trying to make the character you relate to the most OP.

This mindset might make things easier. For example, mana crypt isn't technically banned, but it's aesthetically shitty unless you are trying to make an overcosted general a bit more interesting.

>there are rules for a game
>if something is legal in the rules of the game, then it's sportsmanlike
>making a rule that breaks a rule that already exists makes you inherently unsportsmanlike for not respecting "the spirit" of the format
>therefore, by making a rule about scooping, you yourself are in violation of the rules, and worthy of a warning with escalating bans

i tried marshmellow tutelage in standard a year ago. you turn all their creatures into useless fluffy marshmellows and win with sphinx ttutelage mill or swing out with starfield of nyx. it was very consistent for a budget deck and usually i would win the first round then the second would be very short since the first round ate up so much time.

Politics normally sorts that shit out but these mouthbreathers are probably a bit too socially awkward to try that.

Guys I sugjest a new pumadigm.

So let's say you are collaborating with your friends on designing a moba/smash brothers/whatever game and you are making up what the characters do. You could theoretically make one character the best for no reason, but that would be boring.

"i'm technically allowed to set all of the stats of this character to maximum so he wins every time"
But that's retarded.

"Ok, so we need to have a pumaer budget or point system or..."
There is no way you can formalize this shit to not be abusable. We are designing a game, have some basic concept of what gameplay you are trying to achieve instead of mary-sueing the fuck out and trying to make the character you relate to the most OP.

This mindset might make things easier. For example, mana puma isn't technically banned, but it's aesthetically shitty unless you are trying to make an overcosted general a bit more interesting

I want my EDH decks to always have a 101st card available to me at all time: A 0 mana Summary Dismissal with split second and "you lose the game" tacked on so I can be a spiteful shit whenever someone dares to attack me with something packing a sword.
s m h

>metaphor that doesn't work at all

Magic has each player bring their own ball. There is nothing special about the ball each player has, and none of them are essential to play the game. Furthermore, there are literally card effects in the game that deflect the ball from the goal mid-air, and those function exactly the same as conceding, as I thoroughly demonstrated in my post.

Conceding isn't taking the ball and going home any more than casting time stop. Hell, you don't even have to leave the table. Among adults with functional logic abilities, you can just say you're going to wait for the next game.

>>if something is legal in the rules of the game, then it's sportsmanlike

No. The mere mention of trendy bullshit invalidates your opinion. This is how you balance it:
>nice game of durdle-based edh sets up with janky generals
>spike mchotshot walks up and slaps his t1 deck on the table with a wiggle of his eyebrow
>the group says sure, that's fine
>sets up a game
>before the first turn, the group informs spike mchotshot that he's already won, and the group will resume playing to see who comes in second
>decks that are extremely awful to play against automatically are met with this reaction, unless someone is feeling particularly masochistic

Problem solved for everyone.

>completely ignoring the multiple posts that thoroughly explain why your attempt to compare ball games to magic makes zero sense.

Yes, because if it was unsportsmanlike and worthy of penalty, there would be already established rules defining what the activity is, and how the penalty works.

You're not very good at reading, are you?

the closest thing to a house-rule we have is that if we end up forgetting to keep track of commander damage for a few rounds we usually just tend to ignore it once we realize

Not that guy, but almost every sport of game has unwritten rules of sportsmanship

I've heard people argue that tactical scooping is good though, because it means if you play with the same people, and you're known for tactical scooping, people will think twice about using bribery on you, or attacking you with sword of feast and famine. Sort of a mutually assured destruction type thing

>sportsmanship is exclusive to ball games

>as long as the rules don't penalize it, I can do whatever I want and it's still sportsmanlike

Holy fuck, it's like I'm stuck in a pit of autism