/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Monk UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread On a scale of rodents to Tucker, how do you play your Kobolds?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hk7mNdpd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I highly recommend the 4e dmg if you're looking for advice on running 5e.

I true polymorph them.
Ain't no furry.

Not quite Tucker, but I make sure their warrens are well-prepped. I don't use them that often, though.

So how does Beetle user go from being Pink-Hair Syndromed and making cringe characters to being a better player and not making cringe characters while still getting to check all those boxes of the things he likes? Maybe we can figure out a way for him to not make a cringe character but still get the kind of enjoyment he would get out of playing a Beetle-kin?

Filthy coward vermin unless actively in the service of a dragon.

>Ain't no furry
>didn't understand the question
>catgirls

Somewhere inbetween. Not smart enough to tucker usually, but smart enough to have a society with its own customs, system and all that.

>how do you play your Kobolds
I have the most horrifying answer in this thread.
Like kender

The only kobolds I've used were kept by dragon cultists that had instructed them in irregular warfare. The kobolds were grouped in squads of 6-8 with scouts/artillery/leader/liaison in every squad.
Winged kobolds to spot for the scale sorcerers in the dark by dropping glowing rocks on the targets, kobold inventors guarded by dragonshields igniting oil spills with alchemists fire.

KOBOLD DRAGON-HUNTING PARTY

but why

This is about me i guess. I posted about wanting to play a Beetle-person type thing in the last thread. But now I am having an existential crisis about what kind of D&D characters I want to play and I don't even know anymore.

Advice?

Think about what kind of CHARACTER you want to play. What their motivations and goals would be.
Select a race that meshes with their motivations and goals.

Starting with a race/class chassis because "lel it would be cool" usually doesn't lead to interesting characters.

Pick a class. Figure out an interesting backstory for someone of that class. Figure out what race fits that story.

First, It's your responsibility as a player to fit into your DM's setting.

Why don't you try to analyze why you want to play a beetle dude? Do they have some interesting racial thing that others don't have to deal with? Is there an alternate motivation or outlook they have that interests you? You can just take that and reflavor it to whatever race is appropriate.

Is this OP posting this obvious bait or are we just getting a particularly quick asshole up in here?

As far as I can tell, there's no beetle race option in 5e. If you want to play a beetle that badly, find a game that allows that as an option. Don't force your fetishes into the game, it's bad for everyone.

There's at least three of us posting "4e was good" in every thread, user.

He should have a discussion with his DM about what setting, and genre, they're playing in and see if perhaps he could play an awakened giant beetle, or maybe play as a cursed humanoid with buglike features, if his DM is shooting it down out-of-hand without a good reason to do so, he should look for a different DM to play that character with.

Wish this meme would die

Oh so, assholes. Okay, just checking.

We are everywhere.

Play a Beetle Totem Barbarian and refluff your Rage as sprouting useless wings as your skin turns into a chitinous exoskeleton.

Beetle Totem:
>3: While raging, you have resistance to all damage except psychic damage. The spirit of the beetle makes yout ough enough to stand up to any punishment.

>6: You gain the might of a beetle. Your carrying capacity (including maximum load and maximum lift) is doubled, and you have advantage on Strength checks made to push, pull, lift, or break objects.

>14: While raging, you can use a bonus action during your move to pass through the space of a Large or smaller creature. That creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your Strength bonus + your proficiency bonus) or be knocked prone and take bludgeoning amage equal to 1d12 + your Strength modifier.

>Think about what kind of CHARACTER you want to play.
I think this is the big issue I am having. I don't know how to figure this out.

I tried thinking of characters i liked in different forms of media, and i thought about what i thought was cool about them, and most of it came down to
>Visuals
>Cool shit they could do

Clearly I am shallow as a puddle.

What is a good process for determining what kind of personality you find interesting? Should i watch some movies and think about what characters I like and/or engage with?

What's bait about it? The 4e dmg is awesome. It doesn't matter what you think of 4e, the dmg has great advice. Having read both 4e and 5e, I like 4es better, and regularly use it when dming 5e.

Looking to run Spelljammer. I've done some basic searching and have found a decent amount of stuff for 5e conversions. Anyone have any other material recommendations / ideas?

Yeah, don't run Spelljammer! HEYOOOOOOOOO

Specifically: What player races would you allow?

Nice surprise box :

Close your eyes.
Imagine an army is ahead of you. They're the enemy. They're the standard fantasy army, whatever that means to you. But you know you can beat them on your own.

Imagine you doing that, from the start to your inevitable victory. Then ask yourself:

How did you fantasize yourself in your power fantasy beating people? Try to replicate that in game. Ask is for help on how to do so.

Note this is a horrible way to generate characters except for your first character.

There's an ongoing meme in these threads where the first post after OP is a "4e was objectively better than 5e" shitpost, or some variant thereof. While I don't even necessarily disagree that the 4e DMG was a more useful document for new DMs than the 5e DMG is, it was bad timing and poor taste to post that statement when you did.

But you're already fully aware of this, so here's your (you). See pic related.

I'm just gonna wait for a module.
You know it's coming in 5e.

M Y S T A R A
They're gonna give us Hollow World so we can all play monstrous race campaigns legit-like.

I'm impatient and want to run it in the next month.

I'm willing to cook up what is missing myself but I'd really rather not guess.

Try picking your race last.

>Close your eyes.

>can't read the rest of the post

to ascend, brother

what did dragon ever do to you huh

dragon a good boy he dindu nuffin

what is the best class for a bugbear to play to maximize the reach advantage

nice smiley face :^)

Kek

So... maybe not related to this thread, but thought it couldn't hurt: the Stout subrace of halflings is "rumored to have dwarven blood", which is why their racial features fairly emulate the dwarf core. Back in AD&D, you had the Tallfellow subrace, who lived in elven forests, spoke elven, and had almost the exact same racial abilities as elves - I think we can fairly suspect similar origins. But, what would the "human blooded" halflings be like?

In the interest of finding out, and taking a similar stab at Tallfellows, I thought I'd post the resultant homebrew here: Tallfellows were made more elf-like (specifically Wood Elves), whilst given traditional D&D generic human fluff, I figured Stronghearts would be the more ambitious, driven, aggressive and martially inclined of the halflings.

Halfling Subrace: Tallfellow
+1 Wisdom
Darkvison
Fey Ancestry
Keen Senses
Fleet-Footed: Increase your base walking speed to 30 feet.
Bonus Language: Elvish

Halfling Subrace: Strongheart
+1 Strength, +1 Intelligence
Schooling: You gain Proficiency with *either* 1 skill of your choice *or* one martial melee weapon of your choice.

Are we ever going to get a str rogue

Either a spellsniper + BB user (Booming blade 10ft away) or a skrimisher type (Monk or rogue) or a knight (New fighter UA) or a PAM paladin.

Is shagging a Halfling more like shagging a child o a midget?

Anything with polearm master + sentinel + tunnel fighter

>anything coming in 5e
do not make me laugh, user.

he t-touched me...

It's called barbarian/rogue multiclass.

Deal with it.

it doesnt extend your reach on attacks not made on your turn

yeah I just noticed that
hella gay

good meme

Nah user, Spelljammer is dead. It rated super-low on the setting survey.

But, that's really what you should do.

Not only is it viable, but it's more rogue-weighted than barbarian-weighted and supports grappling and thuggish things quite well.

Any strength rogue is just going to be a lesser, knock-off attempt at trying to make strength viable and failing.

We'll see senpai

Maybe it does give great DM'ing advice but this thread is about 5e. It's unnecessary, and even if they're doing it out of altruism, which i doubt, it amounts to a shitpost about 5e.

1E DMG, Dungeon World GM section, "Role-Playing Mastery" and "Master of the Game" by Gary Gygax are all offer better info than 4e DMG on running games and groups. After those, 3.5 DMG PHB 2 and PF's Game Mastery Guide are still better than 4e DMG.

Mistyped/...meant the 3.5 DMG 2 not the PHB.

ok grandpa

Starting a 5e campaign on Sunday with 3 level 1 players. My original plan was to have the ship that they all met on get attacked by Sahuagin raiders, but my encounter builders show that anything above one Sahuagin is deadly. Any recommendations on a first encounter and dungeon for level 1 players?

Use Kuo-toa instead of Sahuagin?

Change the raiders hp/attacks and make a weaker version of them.

My GM is having our next campaign be more "character driven" rather than having it follow a centralized plot (though supposedly he does have some semblance of a story arc in mind), so he wants our characters to have a specific goal in mind. I'm playing a Paladin of Ilmater, but don't really have any idea for what kind of goals he'd have beyond always following his god's tenets. Any ideas?

Rat infestation on the lower decks
Deckhands need their hands un-bit to work the ship
Captain would appreciate it if the PCs would take care of it.

Just nerf their stats dude

Unless they're brand new players, you can either start them at 3 or toss them other NPCs on the boat to control.
Yes I really love how CH 2 of SKT works

>SKT
What?

Storm King's Thunder, current hardcover adventure

How would you stat Yoshikage Kira as a oneshot villain?

Storm King's Thunder, there's a PDF in the megaupload in the OP if you want to see what I was talking about.

Ohhhhhh, care to elaborate on what happens in chapter 2?

thats a big upload

In Chapter 2, the players end up at one of 3 towns, when suddenly, GIANTS ATTACK. To help you out the adventure gives you some NPC allies who can provide side quests for you (if they survive the fight). Some of the towns are harder than others.

Spoiler for people not there yet or whatever
There are 3 different towns you can be in at that point, and depending on which, the players get to control 6 different NPCs along with their characters while giants attack the city. They have personality traits and such taken from the phb, and any surviving NPCs offer the party quests. Fun little way to get the players attached to NPCs. Most of them are weaker than the players would be at that point, but still useful in combat.

Sahuagin user could probably just give each player a commoner to try and keep alive, along with halving the HP of the Sahuagins.

4e is garbage tier. Combine the 5E DMG with the texts listed and a DM will be better than 90% of sad sacks DMing these days. Most of the people who DM now are sad pathetic losers that want to be useful and needed and are afraid to stand up to their players because they might have a disagreement and get shunned on social media.

ok grandpa

create an institution to help people and stuff, something that endures beyond your character's life

Someday you'll learn, son. LOL!

Grognard smash fun!

When is Wizards going to compile all the UAs?

PHB 2, in 2019 ;^)

I dunno but some user does it
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hk7mNdpd

Any time a rogue/barbarian multiclass comes up anywhere, I always see one asshole saying it's a joke, or it doesn't work.

To which I say, have you read the fucking PHB? The two classes actually synergize surprisingly well. Use a shortsword, and even if you're using Strength you still get Sneak Attack since it's a finesse weapon. You also will get the damage bonus from raging. You have Reckless Attack to get advantage (and thus Sneak Attack) whenever the fuck you want it. Rage with Bear Totem, and Uncanny Dodge to half your half damage from particularly "painful" hits from any source of damage (except psychic, but whatevs)

It's crazy how well they actually work together. They probably shouldn't fluff wise, but good god they do mechanically.

Your AC is absolute shit and you get hit by literally everything.

I'm 12 hours into my first ever 5e campaign, and my party's already started violating the geneva convention (mixed alignment party), is this normal?

>I have met every dungeon master

Is Dream of the Red Wizards even from 5e? I can't find the adventured referenced in DoTRW Scourge of the Sword Coast (2-4) in the Mega archive.

Let me guess, torture?

My players did that 8 hours in.

You still get AC from your con score and take half damage, so assuming standard array and a +1 to either dex or con from your race, you have 14 AC, 16 if you short sword and shield (I don't think shield use penalizes rogues in any way but im not sure)

So if a Paladin doesn't need a deity anymore does that mean the only way to become an oathbreaker is for that paladin to think they fucked up?

ie: 3 Int Paladin kills babby gobbos because "theyre goblins thats what you do"
Feels no guilt and as far as their simple mind is concerned did nothing wrong
Doesn't fall
10+int Paladin kills baby Goblins, feels a bunch of guilt, tries to rationalize it, this leads to them falling

Or is it more like it used to be where they'd fall anyway, only the 3 Int one wouldn't know why?

20 int paladin kills baby goblins and is fine because he knows he's doing the right thing

My players did that 3 hours in, they started waterboarding a fucking goblin in the LMoP cave.

Absolutely. PCs will behave nothing like actual reasonable people in every way, always remember that.

Str, Dex, Con. What other stats do you need with this multiclass, because I'm failing to see how any of them help.

You wear no armor and use a shield. Assuming 16 or 17 in Con and at least 15 in Dex at level 1, with a shield that's 17 AC. Pretty good considering you're not wearing any fucking armor. Then you focus on getting your Con up first, and suddenly your AC is rising too, along with health. Follow that with Dex and you're looking at AC 22, and that's assuming you never find a magical shield ever. That's not bad, especially considering you halve pretty much all damage ever, with the option of quartering one damage roll per round.

It was fingernail stuff for my players. They were trying to get a mercenary to spill the goods on who hired them.

Thing is, he told them the truth and they didn't believe him, so the torture went on far longer than was necessary.

I know people don't really like Horde of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat (or so I've heard).

Is there a place that summarizes what's wrong with it and/or how to fix it up?

That's a bad AC for a bruiser senpai.
You also don't get PAM or GWM anymore, which add more damage than what you get from SA.

>tfw to intelligent to respond to this post

You're not maxing three stats.
That's MAD as fuck and makes you way worse as a character.

Mine did that by the...3rd? Session of lost mines.
It was hobgoblin bounty hunters they came upon in the woods.
The happy go lucky monk CG that sounded like Mikey from TMNT used his darts to stab under their fingernails and the flesh between their kneecap.
It's an exercise I think most newbies need to get out of their system.

and so you told them they were moving towards evil right? and then they didnt kill the bandit and word spread that they used torture right?