/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Monk UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread Have you ever played an aquatic/underwater campaign? How did it work out?

Other urls found in this thread:

rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/58632/what-is-the-fastest-a-character-can-move-in-one-turn
dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Basics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Have you ever played an aquatic/underwater campaign? How did it work out?
Water is bad for the master race.

been thinking about doing one in the Ravenloft setting of Sargoss Sea

It's not letting me delete the other new thread so just move over there if it's still up once this one's over bump.

Fuck you mine was up first AND I said I was making one . Not my fault OP is an illiterate nigger.

Actually this one was posted 10 seconds before yours

A player during a session lagged out of Skype in the middle of a huge battle. The DM didn't offer to let one of us take over his character and simply skipped his turn. I said that was "meta" and he exclaimed "DICE ARE FUCKING META" and we kinda just continued playing because it was an important battle.

What the fuck did he mean?

Technically I guess since it takes me a gorillion years to upload larger images with this garbage internet. I hit "Post" at 10:40 flat.

He meant "I'm an autist that can't handle this going unexpectedly"

>"DICE ARE FUCKING META"
lol.

lol

>DM banned catgirls but is allowing other homebrew races
how do I handle this kind of discrimination

Play a Tabaxi

Suicide is the only option.

To to be a cold blooded snek girl.

>not reading the FAQ
Bruh. Its gotchu.

Tabaxi also banned :'(

Play a Yuan-Ti Pureblood from Volo's

My group just did our first session of Storm King's Thunder. They got through Nightstone and in the process incapacitated Xolkin and basically made him their bitch boy (though they allowed Kella and the pet flying snake to escape knowing what happened).. Now they're in the Dripping Cave and since he's human and all of the party has darkvision, they just tied his hands and left him in Area 6 with no light source and told him not to go anywhere.

There's no way I can just let this slide, right? He's going to feel against the walls, listen for the sound of flowing water, and find his way out. That's realistic isn't it?

Would you let a Paladin swap CHA for WIS as a casting stat or would that fuck up balance? I want to play a Paladin who's explicitly NOT charismatic, but I'd have at least above average CHA just to use abilities well.

There's no multiclassing shenanigans going on either I should mention. I guess I could always just keep CHA at 10 and deal with the shittier casting.

There are a couple ways you could play this. What do you mean specifically by "not charismatic"?

WIS is a primary save stat and is the modifier for the most used ability check in the game, so I'd be very averse from a balance standpoint of letting that happen.
You can have a high CHA stat and not be a people person - CHA is just as much a reflection of inner conviction and strength as it is of outward confidence in demeanor. That's why you resist spells like banishment with CHA.

It's realistic. I'd say do it. Actions have consequences and that's part of what makes the game fun. It also gives you more options to use the character for down the line.

Is Sorcerer the only Spellcaster that has magic inherently in them? More of an intuitive caster than one who prays or studies?
I always thought it was odd that they used Cha and not Wis for spell casting. But i guess Cha is force of personality, so a strong personality results.

Anyone have suggestions for a class that is a spell caster that casts spells because they have an intuition for spellcasting, they just know how to, and as they level up their instinct for spellcasting increases and they just know how to cast more spells? I feel like Sorcerer is maybe the best bet for it cause they aren't taught/trained to be sorcerer, they are just harnessing power within themselves.

As a GM I'd say no.

>Is Sorcerer the only Spellcaster that has magic inherently in them?
Yes.

Bard

idk about finding his way out
but it would make sense for him to wander around and maybe after X amount of rounds he gets lucky and finds his way out

Murderhobos, I require your assistance.

I know you like indiscriminate monster slaying for dollars and gear, that's all well and good.

What I want to know is do you like dungeon crawls? What about them, do you like or dislike? Are there things you wish more people would do? Would a dungeon centric game be boring to you?

Your typical edgy brooding asshole who's talking through clenched teeth and impatient about things like "not killing his enemies". Vengeance Paladin.

Yeah I'm probably just going to use your typical Paladin statblock and just rp them as being socially shit. At least Intimidate checks will be easy.

Bards learn their magic - it's manipulating the weave as a learned capability through "music magic".

Having a high CHA doesn't stop you from playing that way at all then - you should be good

If one is a murderhobo, dungeons are the perfect time to bathe in the blood of your foes. 99% of the enemies can be killed, no questions asked, with (almost) no restrictions.

If you want to do that, Sorcerer learn to control the weavd via their force of personality too. So it would count as learned magic by your logic.

I guess you have no choice but to die in a fucking fire.

dungeons are the perfect murderhobo scenarios

guilt free combat no questions asked and an implicit promise of great treasure and great combat encounters

Or go back to /pfg/

Sorcerers have an innate tie to magic - manipulating magic is intuitive to them from birth, instilled in their very being intrinsically.

Bards are like wizards but with music and without a book. That's why there are bard *COLLEGES* and wizard *SCHOOLS* while there are sorcerer... nothings.

I've made a lore bard gish
While I have the feat Warcaster and can cast with my bashin' lute in one hand and a shield in the other, would I have to drop my shield to cast a spell with a material component? (Both hands required to play an instrument AFAIK)

Another question; using Major Image, can I just make an illusory 20ft hemisphere of darkness that I can see through (knowing its an illusion) that would hide me and give disadvantage on anyone attacking me within, and advantage for me attacking them?

Do you think sorcerers are looked down on by wizards because they didn't really have to work for their magic?

>What I want to know is do you like dungeon crawls?
Yee

>What about them, do you like or dislike?
Lots of stuff to kill, good
Lots of stuff to loot, good
No where to sell useless stuff that we stole from this dungeon, bad
No where to spend the money we got from selling the useless stuff we stole from this dungeon, bad

Part of being a murderhobo is basically Conan'ing it up and just stealing everything. Rubies are awesome, but if I can't trade them for my weight in health potions or alchemists fire they are just dead weight.

Maybe put some weirdo wandering mechants in there.

Additionally, multiclassing is fun for min-maxing our ability to do the murdering part of murderhoboing. So maybe putting areas in the dungeon with other NPCs who are stuck, trapped, lost, who we can learn some stuff from.

>Would a dungeon centric game be boring to you?

Tucker's Kobolds
Nuff said.

Isn't your instrument your arcane focus?

Why would someone look down on a great boon?
Good for sorcerers - no reason to be salty that someone else gets something you don't when that person doesn't take that something from you or anyone else.

>what are Bardic Colleges

They dislike each other.

Wizards thinks Sorcerers are childish and random, using magic as a toy and not a tool.

Sorcerers think Wizards are stuffy and boring, what's the point of knowing a million spells if you're never going to use half of them.

I always wanted a prestige class that fused the two, somehow bringing the two viewpoints together would make their magic more powerful.

Just coed dorm rooms

It'd probably take him a good long while to find his way out without being able to see anything, but having him wander into other areas of the cave sounds perfectly plausible.

People can get jealous, even if it isn't rational.

this

>X got to where I am with little to no work while I've worked my ass off
Seems like a pretty common thing to be salty about

Do I not actually have to play the lute to use it as the replacement for a material component?
Mostly I just cast Shillelagh and bash with it. If I never have to actually grab it by two hands that'd be easier.

Also a stupid thing to be salty about

Man that's pretty boring. I wanted a sorcerer wizard war.

Yeah but so are 90% of the things people get salty about in general.

Peace is boring.

The world has a single magical college. Wizards are nerds and preps, sorcs and bards are the frat boys, warlocks are the weirdos.

Yeah - people are stupid
Not gonna argue that at all

You do you senpai - the source material is only there to help you

If your DM cares about stuff like that, you can resort to a component pouch as a way to cast your spells instead of your instrument, keeping your hand free.

WARLOCK COLUMBINE WHEN

>Man that's pretty boring. I wanted a sorcerer wizard war.
They're just saving their hatred for the mage/healer war.

>americans in faerun
I'M NOT A SHITTY COMMONER, I'M A TEMPORARILY DEPOWERED OVERLICH

>I always wanted a prestige class that fused the two
Ultimate Magus existed though. And it was pretty good too.

So... you *should* be salty that Usain Bolt can run fast...?

So what exactly is the "MAXIMUM SPEED" build again anyway?

Obviously it requires:
>Base Speed (30 feet)
>Monk15/Barbarian5 (+35, 65 feet)
>Elk Totem Spirit(+15, 80 feet)
>Longstrider (+10, 90 feet)
>Mobile (+10, 100 feet)
>Major Benefit from Artifact (+10, 110 feet)
>Boon of Speed (+30, 140 feet)
>Tabaxi (double speed, 280 feet)
>Haste (doubles speed, 560 feet)
>Boots of Speed (double speed, 1120 feet)
>Dash Actions and the Initial Movement (quadruple speed, 4480 feet)

So a final speed of 4480 per turn, or 227.6 m/s. Thats a lot of fast.

Stat me as if I was in MHB

I don't know what this is

What? Usain Bolt worked at it. Even if he was born with a higher maximum speed rating, he didn't reach it without working hard at it.

>I always wanted a prestige class that fused the two, somehow bringing the two viewpoints together would make their magic more powerful.
3.5 had Ultimate Magus, which was hands down the most fun character I've played in any system. Even with the slow start. Only time I've ever played a kobold, and I don't want to play another one simply because it could never compare.

You think sorcerers get to a high level without gitting gud?
Some people are better than others innately. They have more potential in life.
There's no reason to be salty about that.

I thought "doubles" turned into multipliers. So

x2=x2
x2x2x2x4=x6

So speed would be 140x6 = 840

pic

It doesn't look like anything, to me.

>all these creatures that reflect or punish melee damage
>there's none that reflect or punish range
>one that maybe reflects a few spells, and it's just a fucking cat

I'd never even heard of it. Will have to take a look, thanks.

>will never play 3.5 again

dumping the others

Its in the Complete Mage supplement.

What math did you do to get that result...

>Wizard studies for years just to get to level 1
>is still studying even while he's leveling
>Sorcerer gets the same powerups from killing the same creatures with none of the study

Kuo-toa. They're in the MM.

Yeah - I'm a better athlete sitting on my ass half the time than most people can be with years of lifting and practice.
Is that something for anyone to be salty about?

I might have done it wrong. Here. I know one is for 3.5, not sure if the rule carried or not.

rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/58632/what-is-the-fastest-a-character-can-move-in-one-turn

dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Basics

But you're not. Athletic ability in reality isn't anything like the Sorc/Wizard disparity.

None that punish ranged martials, but there's a few more with spell reflection.

I love these meme builds

Stop pouting nerd.

But.. I am?
The likelihood that anyone on this board can beat me in the 200 is incredibly low, and I hardly ever run.
And even if you refuse to believe that, there certainly *ARE* tons of people who can just beat people at things who work terribly hard with pure innate talent.
And you're saying that those people who don't win out despite working harder should be salty... why?

You don't get XP for killing things, you get XP for defeating them in struggle. In a life-or-death struggle any sort of caster is going to be put their abilities in magic to the test, and through that practice their skills may improve.

Also, don't assume that increasing in power is pleasant for a sorcerer. A dragonblood has to deal with bizarre mutations and body horror as their power increases, and don't even get me started on what wild mages have to put up with.

Are there any other meme builds like this?

I know /5eg/ has come up with a bunch of silly builds, like Simon Bugbearmont (bugbear battlemaster/assassin with a whip), dual wielding lances, diviner halfling, goliath bearbarian. and many others.

>Want to play a martial class that punches people while wearing full plate
>Can't do it as monk, lose all the good stuff from Monk when wearing armour
>Look in DM's Guild Trove
>Look at new classes
>Pugilist seems like a punchy class!
>Going through class features
>Fisticuffs
>You gain the following benefits while you are unarmed or using only pugilist weapons and you are wearing light or no armor and not using a shield
>...
>Close pdf

I just want to punch people with literal fists of steel and for it to be as effective as regular weapons.

>Have you ever played an aquatic/underwater campaign?

No but i'm writing one. Heavily inspired by Sword and Planet stories like Princess of Mars.

>When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead.
So because the multiplier always modifies the speed and not the other multipliers the rule doesn't apply.

I did one with "biggest to-hit bonus on any attack" but when you do stuff like including epic boons and magic items and artifacts and such it gets stupid (I got over 75 and probably missed a lot)

New Druid can give a Heal + 50ft speed. Transmuter wizard gives stone of +10 speed.

Bard readies an action to cast "Dissonant Whispers" once you're done using all your dash actions, forcing you to move your movement as a reaction (Equating to another x2 multiplier at the end.)

Twilight druid 6/evocation wizard 14
Grim Harvest on a 7th level overchanneled magic missile
(4+1+5+30)x9 = 360 missile-scope