/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

"The Fallen are revealed to all but I don't feel that's canon" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/lfbawnl8buxaoc3

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/vyv56zze9m828d2

As a GM, what is the biggest fuckup you've done? Maybe a bad description of an area, or a screwup on power levels against the players?

Suppose someone Lightning/Swift Attacks my PC. My PC parries most of the hits with a power sword, and successfully destroy the enemy's weapon, but one or two still gets through. Do those extra hits still happen? Does that opponent roll the same damage dice, or does their weapon count as some shitty half-melted bludgeon instead?

Resolve it sequentially. If the sword breaks, the other hits fail.

Would you let the attacker continue punching/kicking?

>screwup on power levels against the players?
Oh boy did my GM do this last session. He dropped an entire rhino full of World Eaters on a freshly generated cell of acolytes. If that isn't pants on head retarded, nothing is. And to boot, he probably did it just because the psyker bbeg he was hyping got downed in one single round of combat thanks to a well aimed sniper shot.

Change gm asap

Unfortunately we're stuck with him for at least another week. We do a 2 week on/off rotation of D&D and DH2. I'm trying to figure out a tactful way to say "You dun fucked up" that wont result in him cancelling the session right out. Really he shouldn't be GM'ing in the first place if I'm being honest. Lots of red flags.

>As a GM, what is the biggest fuckup you've done?
Moving onto Ascension. Fuck Ascension.

Some buds and I are hoping to start up an Only War campaign. We're in the early prep phases here still, just bouncing ideas around, so everything is far from set in stone.

We're all fairly experienced RPers, but the group would like me to DM, and I haven't done so before. Is OW going to be rough for me? Should I try to push more towards DH, which I (maybe wrongly) perceive as being more traditional.

Any advice for a rookie to the rpg aspects?

I'd say Only War should be easier to GM, if only because there are limits to what the PCs can do without getting BLAMMED by a commissar and they're expected to follow orders, while inquisitorial acolytes have significant leeway on what they can get up to.

My personal biggest fuckup is making a PC burn a fate point due to reading the psychic power effect instead of the crit chart for the -1crit he was at. It was way too funny though, he plays a fat "southern" Arbites and was joking that the donuts were supposed to kill him first. I read the text of the haemorege power which describes an overtaxed heart bursting, and everyone lost it. Now I need to give him that fate point back for a suitably heroic action, but I don't want the players to think getting fate is easy.

Not really.

The issue is their roll with 'punching/kicking' isn't as good as their weapon probably.

There's an argument if the rolls were identical or the unarmed was somehow better...but it's just easier to suggest it fails, like someone full-autoing without enough bullets left in their gun, even if they can draw another gun as a free action.

You could always explain the mistake and suggest this effort had a lower threshold, just be careful you don't accidentally kill him first, because it was kinda your fault.

I made the mistake of giving a very pitiful encounter involving rookie gangers holding up a shop. Long story short, three ran, one was summarily executed, and the last was kidnapped and sent back to their Inquisitor's cruiser.

I don't think you understand. If someone Lightning Attacks my character, I roll to parry ONCE, and every degree of success on that roll is one of the opponent's attack successfully parried.

Depends on the game you're playing.

I don't know DHE2, and that's the case in Only War, it's not in DHE1 and Rogue Trader.

Lightning/swift attacks are not mentioned alongside full/semi auto because they behave as individual attacks with their own rolls, unlike OW which gives you an additional hit per DOS (or two DOS)

I don't think anyone uses the old rules anymore, even if they use the old systems. Modern rules for this stuff are a super common houserule to apply to the older games.

Is there any compendium for those houserules?

I'm still playing DHE1, but my GM condensed the skills (thank god). It'd just be easier if I knew all the differences, because I haven't played DHE2, OW, or RT, just read here or there.

After all, its a flurry of blows with that weapon. Then it broke, so it ends the chain.

>With fury and precision, the attacker strikes his target multiple times in close combat. He must be armed with a melee weapon or be able to make unarmed attacks to take this action.

...so?

You can take those actions with unarmed strikes, we knew that, it doesn't mean you change weapons halfway through. Otherwise, if I could draw/stown as a free-action, what would stop me from changing weapons mid-flurry to adjust for pen as I register damage?

There's several compendiums and they're all full of weird creative choices that kind of fucking suck. No real community consensus ruleset or anything, unfortunately(?)

>if I could draw/stown as a free-action, what would stop me from changing weapons mid-flurry
Who said you could change weapons mid-attack? You're not wielding a melee weapon with both hands and feet. You can kick or punch at the same time. If your weapon is broken, you don't just freeze in place until your next turn. Heck, you could keep beating them with the broken improvised weapon if that's preferable.

Shitty hypothetical, user.

Are you making a dual wielding attack? Did you declare that when you rolled? Taking the appropriate bonuses and penalties?

Otherwise you're attacking with one weapon. Which just broke. Shit outta luck.

Dual wielding is stated to be for weapons.

Broken weapons still count as improvised weapons.

There's no mechanical precedent for combining unarmed attacks and weapon attacks in the same roll. You're arguing from an absurd position that has no RAW justification.

No more absurd than 'if your weapon breaks, you suddenly stop everything'.

I can buy using the broken weapon for the duration of the attack, but breaking into unarmed combat is a massive stretch.

It gets mechanically complex though because a broken weapon will potentially have different modifiers on the attack, meaning it may not have hit anyway.

I think that's normal. Most people just want to pick up something and play.

Hey, my acolytes are currently in a wild, dangerous area far from civilization. There's some cults and secret PDF presence but that's it. Someone will be joining the group soon and I have some ideas to help him make a suitable background for the situation but if y'all can help it's appreciated.
+ Scavenger looking for loot (poor) or explorer from off-world (noble/rich)
+ Paranoid PDF deserter who wants to learn "what's hidden out there"
+ Escaped cult slave
+ Someone seeking refuge inside of the area (escaped from the law, etc.)

Just to be clear these are all different background ideas.

Except that makes perfect sense given the mechanics of how swift attack works, just like how if you jammed on a full auto attack, you'd stop attacking with multiple shots too.

explain

Not that user, but a GM who did the same mistake.

Ascension is an expansion for DH1 where you can play proper "high level" characters (13k XP+ unless I misremember), with new character classes like Magos, Inquisitor, Primaris Psyker, Death Cult Assassin and Vindicare Assassin, ascended talents, influence as a mechanic and what the fuck not. Sounds good on paper, right?

Well, FFG completely fucking bodged it. The new psychic powers are so comically OP that the Primaris Psyker class makes every other class effectively pointless, the Vindicare Assassin makes every other combat character, -which can include ported over Deathwatch characters-, fucking useless as the average mook in comparison. The Magos is just the Tech-priest on super-steroids with all the problems of the Tech-priest class in DH1 on aforementioned super-steroids and the other character classes are best left unmentioned because of how terrible they are. On top of that, the new talents are more or less just bundling together a group of talent into one super talent with generally completely ass mechanics and a shitload of other mechanical problems that point to the expansion being incredibly half-assed and poorly thought out in development. Not even the new gear is particularly cool.

It tries to make the players into pic related but completely fails, makes a complete ass of itself and perfectly demonstrates that DH1 (and the 40krpg's in general) tends to break as a system when the players reach around 10k+ levels of XP since the system is obviously designed around lower level play.

How fucked would your party be if they had to face the Emperor in his prime in bed?

>biggest fuckup
So far its giving the players a chimera in OW. Now stuff that can hurt the chimera (because vehicles have such absurd armour and structure value) will absolutely pulp the players.

I know its not that big a deal. But I haven't gmed for that long.

Is the Skullreaper in Tome of Blood a Lord of Skulls?

Considering he tends to burn the eyes of those who only so much as look at him... It's gonna be steamy.

Exactly, it may not have hit, and furthermore, I don't believe power field states how much of the weapon is left to be wielded as a hilt.

I wanted to consult the Veeky Forums hive mind about some homebrew gear I've been ruminating on. All of the following were designed via the gear creation tools in "The Fringe is Yours".

Sergian Pattern Mk Xa Autogun
| Basic | 100m | S/3/10 | 1d10+3 I | 0 | 60 | Full | Reliable | 6kg | Scarce |

The Forge World Sergia III is renowned for its love of conventional ballistic weaponry; they pursue the Omnissiah's perfection by perfecting an ancient and venerable form of weaponry. Beloved by humans and xenos alike, the Suppression-Pattern Autogun is the standard armament of the nearby Fortress World of Sergia II, established to counter the constant Ork raids that plague Sergia III.

Sergian Pattern Mk Xb Autogun
|Basic | 100m | S/3/- | 1d10+3 I | 0 | 30 | Full | Reliable, Accurate | 6kg | Scarce |

A variant of the Mk X Sergian, the Mk Xb sacrifices the extended clip and full-auto capability of its brethren for increased accuracy at range. The Mk Xb is most often utilized by scouts who want the accuracy of a long rifle, but hesitate to sacrifice the versatility of semi-automatic fire.

Sergian “Spear Gun”
|Basic | 150m | S/-/- | 1d10+8 | 6 | 1 | 2 Full | Reliable, Accurate | 8k| Rare |

An ancient and revered design hailing from Sergia II, the Spear Gun is a heavily modified variant of the standard Imperial Sniper Rifle. Firing rounds nearly a foot long, the Spear Gun is designed to punch straight through armor at ludicrous range. While rarely utilized by even Sergian regiments in the field, it's a rare Chimera that doesn't have one stowed inside; just in case.

Sergian Pattern Heavy Stubber Mk VIII
| Heavy | 90m | -/-/8 | 1d10+4 I | 3 | 150 | 4 Full | Ogryn-Proof | 40k | Rare |

Inspired by the Storm Bolter, the Tech-Priests of Sergia III saw an opportunity to create a superior heavy stubber. Putting an almost ludicrous amount of firepower onto a single platform, the Sergian heavy stubber is jealously guarded by the local regiments.

I somehow missed listing Storm under the heavy stubber. Ugh.

It's very similar to the Assault Stubber in Into the Storm. (If you look at the PDF, the Assault Stubber is a basic weapon, but they errata'd it to heavy.)

I'd say the Into the Storm Assault stubber is better. Your stubber fires 2 extra shots, but the Assault Stubber reloads twice as fast and has 50 more shots in the mag.

(Not the guy who posted the stats) It's not clearly better, though. It's different, but reasonably balanced. Which is why I like it.

If it allowed BC mods, as a player I would slap Belt Feed on it.

Is it possible to add traits to a weapon, provided that you have Tech-use and Trade (armourer), or it's one of those "ask your GM kind of thing"? [spoilers]I want to put Accurate on my autocannon, because sniper rifle is for pussies.[/spoilers]

here. Wow, completely missed that. Looks like mine would be better for Ogryn use and fires a bit faster, but the Assault Stubber has a bigger clip that reloads faster and weighs less. Do you think it would be too powerful if I upped this thing's clip size? You know, to make those long reloads worth it?

what's the point? you don't get bonus accurate damage on it unless you have versatile shooter

I love the idea of the Sergian "Spear Gun" but it's stats are way too much. Being basic, 150m, accurate and 1d10 + 8 with 6 pen makes this "heavily modified variant of the standard imperial sniper rifle" punch harder than a bolter.

Honestly I think the pen should be reduced a bit, probably down to 4-5.

More importantly you should modify the fluff and main stats.

An accurate basic weapon that does that much damage, even with a clip size of 1 and reload of 2 full is pretty OP. If a player does a half aim with the gun before firing they will get a +30 bonus to their shot with a range of 150m. This thing will gib anything with no or shit armor and will still fuck up well armored enemies. Here are a few possible changes to make the gun less op.

>> Remove accurate trait. If the gun is to be a basic weapon it shouldn't have accurate other it will make it instagib a lot of shit.

>>Or keep the accurate trait but make it a heavy weapon. It will get the +10 BS bonus for firing but won't get the extra damage dice. Going by the fluff, shooting a footlong projectile from a rifle should be an honest to god nightmare. I'm talking about an experience so awful just looking at the gun makes you wince. Give it a simple attached bipod.

Granted all of these suggestions are designed to keep it in the tone of it being an old heirloom type of weapon. A proud piece of history/tradition that is useful, but not exactly modernized.

Also I'd recommend amending the fluff for it. Drop the heavily modified variant of the standard imperial sniper rifle. The work that would need to be done to turn a sniper rifle into the spear gun would be tremendous. Just fluff it as an indigenous anti-armor weapon. But also reduce the round size. 1ft long rounds is genuinely batshit crazy. A gun firing rounds of that size would need to be really long and as a by product really heavy. Make the rounds smaller, not by a huge deal, but i'd say 8-9inches long.

My friend is somehow trying to get me to come cram Pokemon in eve campaign.

I'm trying to let him loose. How do I do this most effectively?

Bonus aim makes semi-auto much more useful. I set up the ambush, 1 full turn spent aiming, then 1 full action to shoot semi-auto. I have a BS of 40, +10 from Accurate, +20 from Full Aim, for a whopping BS of 70. Also, my rolls defy mathematical probability and not in a good way, so I'll happily grab any bonuses I can get.

here.
Thanks for writing all that, always nice to get a thorough answer. I thought about making it a heavy, but the only Heavy sniper I could find was the Longshot, and that thing just confuses the hell out of me. From what you said, I'm thinking these will be the changes I make.

>Knock the Pen down to 5
>Take out the Accurate trait
>Rework the fluff to be more reflective of an ancient native design

I hadn't really done the math well enough in my head, to be honest. Thinking about 1d10+8 with 6 Pen and Accurate means this thing could pop marines, no trouble. Forget anything you (should) throw at Only War characters on a regular basis.

Thanks again!

Happy to help. I love homebrewing and theory crafting and in turn helping sharing ideas with others.

Going with the fluff and the general idea of it, I think it's awesome. I love the idea of a big bad old school heavy rifle designed to fuck up stuff. I think you could work in the history of the weapon into affecting the quality of it. Hence a poor or common quality "spear Gun" would be very old, and heavy. prob around 14-15 kgs. Good and Best quality versions would represent a modernized version of the "spear gun". Same original barrel and massive round, but the stock and components are made of lighter materials so reduced wt of 10kgs.

Also going off of the idea that the weapon is still in use, via being stowed in chimera, given the weapon a special quality that it can be easily broken down and reassembled. A gun of that size and power would need to be easily broken down to be viable in the battlefield or just for stowing in an active chimera. So using this quality a character can take a challenging tech test (+0) to reassemble/breakdown the rifle in 5 full actions (structured time) or 1 minute (narrative time). And a Sergian native can do the tech test with a +20 due to his/her considerable familiarity with it. Equally a poor quality gun could take 6 full actions to fully assemble (due to old/bent/abused parts), while a best quality take only 4 full actions to reassemble or break down.

So here's my recommendation of the build

Sergian "Spear gun" Mk. II
I Heavy I 150m I S/-/- I 1d10+8 I 5 I 1 I 2 Full I Reliable I Rare-Very Rare I 14 kg if common/poor quality, 10 kg if Good/Best I

Perhaps give it the Crippling quality and a weapon-specific add-on that increases reload time, reduces range, but adds Snare or something like what the Dire Harpoon daemon engines in Tomb of Decay can get.

Plus you could up the clip to like 3 rounds since it's no longer basic + accurate

Additionally since the weapon is a rather simple design, and a bit of a culture tradition for Sergian regiments you could also have a variant of it for emergency engagements.

Since the weapon is now heavy and with limited clip, it'd be good when characters have the chance to take out far away targets, but it's low clip size and heavy status make it not that useful in close quarters emergency engagements. So I recommend statting a "variant version" that is made using a tech-use test on the gun. Whatever the fluff reasoning is, it would allow players to turn the gun from a heavy to a basic, but with considerable tradeoffs: Like the gun drops it's range from 150m to 30-45m and maybe putting in a new special condition: like "If firing this weapon an x # of times in one combat encounter will result in either 1 wound or x levels of fatigue." This lets the weapon be a potential godsend in emergency situations, but it has drawbacks that prevent players from trying to abuse it.

Hell the fluff could be something about how an old Sergian warhero/folkhero's "Spear Gun" had it's barrel terrible mangled in battle and so the warhero had to cut of most of it to still use the gun, and then used the shortened boomstick to obliterate some enemy command"

So by doing a challenging tech test (+0) players can take the powerful but unwieldy "Spear gun" and turn it into a "boomstick"

so the boomstick stats would be:

Sergian "Spear Gun" Mk. II (modified into Boomstick)
I Basic I 30-45m I 1d10+8 I 5 I 1 or 3 I 2 Full I Reliable, maybe inaccurate I Rare I

>Biggest fuck up
> Having my war band run across 4 autocannons in a church on a investigation. The Krieger sniper had his entire left arm shot off. The player nor the character was happy with that fuck up but everyone did learn to use cover and duck after.

> Autocannons are RETARDED OP

> Autocannons are RETARDED OP
Did you not read the weapon's statline before the encounter?

Hey, are there any mechanicus war robots or skiitari pattern stuff in the FFG system?

Prefferably in some of the newer lines - my gm suggested a robo buddy of some kind like they have in tabletop/30k, and i'm wondering if there's anything close in minions or npc statblocks i can look at to approximate stuff.

*wimper....*
No ?

It's all in Mars Needs Women already, in the op. Every single piece of Admech gear, including robots, is in there.

use the fan made Mars needs women user

Autocannons are one of the Holy Trifecta of crazy good weapons, alongside the special-ammo Storm Bolter and the bio-corrosive Rotor Cannon.

Hmn. I'll take a look, but that may not actually fly for our game, though.

Is there any source material/heresy/crusade stuff that was based on i could look at?

user i hate to break it to you but they only had the three books and a few splats. the licensee is dead. This is the best you'll get unless you home brew

>biggest fuckup
I let them engage in time travel.

Sure, the story more or less revolved around it, but I realized letting the players do it was unnecessarily confusing and just fucked stuff up. We had a talk and agreed to leave it at that, because it was kind of a mess.

I also accidentally introduced a continuity error as one NPC they obtained an item from in the start of the campaign was substantially different from his portrayal later in their campaign, when he got himself lost in time with the artefact he eventually already had given them...?
But I think I can solve that too.

>Maybe a bad description

This is a big problem for me. One time, it almost caused a Detachment to sell hookers to a Necron Phaeron. The second time created an accidental burlesque house.

Explain both in great detail.

>TFW nobody in the party respects the PC interrogator

I think time travel is one of the funnest things you can do in the 40k games, because it opens up a lot of opportunities for weirdness, and pushing what the players deem as acceptable. So far, I've had players

-Travel back to the Great Crusade
-Travel 800,000 years into the future
-Relive a Majora's Mask-esque time loop
-Fight through frozen time
-Fight through reversing time
-Fight through accelerating time
-Accidentally become children
-Accidentally become manly old men, complete with Beards of Experience

There's so much you can do if you don't ask how, but when.

I don't know about giving the weapon itself crippling quality, but I think giving it an ammo type that causes crippling makes sense. If anything I think the weapon could/should get concussive quality cause anything that gets hit by it will certainly feel it.

Going by the fluff, it could be easily made that the weapon has 2 ammo types. The first round is the "normal" round. The giant, heavy slugs made for punching through armor, the reason why the gun has the 5 pen. However since the weapon fell out of practical service it could be fluffed that the weapon wasn't practical enough and the dense heavy metals needed for it's giant slugs were needed elsewhere so a cheaper bullet was used as a replacement. The alternative round, the one which gives crippling quality, could be that it is made of cheaper/less dense materials and so when it makes contact with a target/wall/thing, the slug splinters under the high force causing the massive round to splinter into a number of "largish" pieces inside the target giving it crippling quality.

>>but adds snare or something like what the dire harpoon

It's not a proper spear gun, basically just an anti-tank rifle from the description the op gave for it. I think giving it crippling option is enough, giving it crippling and snare is way too much, anything hit by it will be screwed. but, I've always wanted to have a badass harpoon spear gun for a character.

Damn, Veeky Forums's generous today.

>Perhaps give it the Crippling quality
Well, it is a massive round that either stays inside or goes right through whatever it hits, so I can certainly see where this is coming from. I'll definitely think about it.

>Boomstick
This is something so diabolical I wish I'd thought of it myself. thought up some great rules for breaking it down, so the "boomstick" could just be the spear gun partially broken down for maneuverability at close range. Also, since a longer barrel does help to alleviate recoil, I'd imagine taking off most of the length on this beast would mean this thing would throw out your arm after a few shots. Here's what I'm thinking.

Mixed Blessing: While a powerful close-range weapon, modifying such a heavy rifle does have its consequences. Firing this weapon 3 or more times in a single encounter will cause 1 wound or 1 level of fatigue.

Well, the first time, the Tau/Dark Eldar Detachment had met with a Necron Phaeron while they were searching for parts to ghetto-rig a piece of archeotech back together. The Necron demanded "companionship, a juvenile Enfleshed" to serve at his side. The players paused, and began listing off all the exotic and nubile races they could give him. At this point I realized something had gone horribly wrong. The Cryptek had to clarify that he wanted a small pet, like a puppy or something. It was something completely innocent that I fucked up explaining.(Exelion, Ep. 8)

The second one was the Republican Commandos entering a bar aboard the Tau battleship-nightclub Studio 69. I described the place as a "Sisters of Battle themed eatery, where the 'Sisters' were wearing a little less than usual." I had meant it as a family friendly place like Hooters, but as time went on, they were referring to it as a strip club, and it was too far gone to fix. Even now, the Commandos look down poorly on actual Sisters of Battle. (Spess Mareen: Republican Commando, Ep. 4).

All cases of misinterpretation that led to terrible things I did not mean.

Dude, I snagged Nox as a villain and set the story in The Jericho Reaches, where the Hadex Anomaly is pretty much stated to fuck with time. I even made a bunch of necessary retcons (due to players moving) in-universe works of a time wizard because it was more fun that way.

They managed to:
>Summon their alternate universe selves, where the retconned PCs weren't, so there's two nearly-identical copies of their ship running around the sector
>Fight a time-freezing sorcerer while time is frozen
>Get caught in a groundhog day loop and only break loose because they retroactively found a Necron artefact
>Exploit said loop to loot the half-forgotten planetary defence lasers
>Collect hidden parts of a Necron time-traveling artefact and assemble them, only to have the local Inquisitor poof into the past by mistake. Explaining that to the rest of the =][= was awkward.
>Have vivid flashbacks of the War in Heaven. Not good for your mental state.
>Accidentally released The Hounds of Tindalos into the universe but made them empathic hippies
>Shoot sorcerer with a navigator-based, Old Ones-powered lance weapon to make sure he doesn't fuck up time worse.

I kind of enjoyed how off-the-rails that campaign turned.

I'd love to go back and visit the War in Heaven one day. It's probably the last major setting event my players haven't turned into a playground.

Yeah the rules for the boomstick sound perfect. I was gonna suggest that a player could fire as many shots as their Toughness bonus before taking a wound and fatigue but I think just a static 3 works better that way.

And in regards to the crippling quality I put it in the post above yours, but I think it'd work better as having a crippling ammo.

Having a weapon cause that much damage with 5 pen plus crippling is a bit overkill. Bolters and autocannons have similar stats and comparable damage/impact but they don't have crippling.

What I suggest is that there is the normal round which gives 5 pen and then there is the crippling round. The reasons for 2 different rounds is for balancing and fluff. Since the weapon is really old it could be that the normal rounds were produced less and less since the original pen 5 rounds were too expensive and used heavy dense important materials. As a replacement the Spear gun was issued the alternative crippling round which was cheaper to produce for a technically non-standard guard weapon. These new rounds were made out of softer materials, and while they still hit hard, perhaps the strain on the actual bullet caused it to buckle/splinter when it hits something causing the round to have a pen of 0-1. But the upside is that the since the bullets are so large, when they do splinter it will result in a few large shards which would cause the crippling quality.

I figure it'd be a bit much if the gun had pen 5 with crippling so having an ammo that gives 5 pen and an ammo that gives 0-1 pen w/ crippling seemed like an ideal compromise that works with the fluff.

Has anyone got the PDF for Falling Stars or Black Crusades GM Screen. Seem to be the big missing 2 from the Mega Share. Is there also a guide for getting rid of the copyright that Drive Thru does on a PDF?

The silliest thing my GM did, amongst thousands of others - Letting one of our players play as a Grey Knight. In Rouge Trader.

Okay, so i'm going to try and get my group to play either Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy over the holidays. Which edition is best, which is more fun, and what are some good basic plot lines i can elaborate off of for both? Please help.

How big is too big for an OW game?

I'm thinking of having the party launch a covert strike behind enemy lines to take out an ork artillery emplacement. The idea is they hold it until the main offensive front can reach them, then have a rok land on the planet which fucks everything up. Then transition into 11th Hour until the entire Regiment is pulled off them planet so we can go on to Final Testament.

Is dropping a Rok on the players too much for like session 3?

Sounds good, swapping ammunition is a good way to incorporate both ideas.

Give them an autocannon and be a generally poor GM.

While they had fun, ultimately my friend became the new DM and we went back to D&D. At least it's 5e.

Rogue Trader if they have any self-motivation, DH 2e if they don't.

If you're good at coming up with stuff on the fly and you have a party that is self motivated RT is the way to go.

If they're not that self motivated. I'd recommend pick up Lure of the Expanse and run that. It's a fun short(ish) adventure that provides some guidance but lets the players head towards their goal the way they want too.

I don't have much DH experience so I can't help you there.

sadly my party is terrible about taking the plot and running with it, i generally have to prod them to get them to go places and lead them along all while creating the illusion of free will. So probably Dark Heresy then, though i will look at Lure of the Expanse. Thank you for recommending that by the way. Is there anything i absolutely have to know before running either of these, and as veterans do you guys have any suggestions?

What the level of 40k knowledge your players have and how experienced are they with RPGs?

Well we all play 40k, but i'm the lorefag and probably the biggest enthusiast. I'm the only one who reads the books and the fluffy bits of the codexes. I mean they know the broad stokes, but if you ask them specifics it'll go over their heads. Have to explain lore to them every once and a while when we get to talking.

But they have all played a couple of different rpgs fairly extensively. Nwod, dnd, shadowrun, Ragnarok fate of the Norns and one or two others.

So there's nothing official and no hope for the future? I guess it was an impossible fever dream after all. Thanks anyway.

Great. Make sure someone is the Rogue Trader if you play Rogue Trader. Keep in mind the level of resources that an RT starts with is what typical high level DnD characters will end with. So making sure they're not searching enemy corpses for spare change because they don't need that shit. "Money is for poor people" is the line that sums up Rogue Trader nicely.

As for DH. Just get across to them that going "Hey we're with the Inquisition" will close alot more doors that it opens.

Well, doors will open. There'll just be people with guns on the other side.

K. Thank you. Do you have any recommendations for good plot lines and hooks?

If you play DH 2e, I recommend playing the Dark Heresy 1e missions. A good starter is Edge of Darkness.

Thank you.

I'm thinking of using Beast:The Primordial to flesh out warp daemons/shenanigans in DH.

So my Rogue Trader group is going to a planet with the ruins of an archeotech civilization that's populated by subhuman survivors of the civilization (working story is that they were in discussion for assimilation during the Great Crusade, but then Heresy happened and traitors wiped them out, and then a warp storm, recently dissipated, cut them off soon after or even before the Heresy ended.)

Obviously there's an abundance of the archeotech resource in the system, but in the cities, one time they can actually acquire is a good-quality Gellar Field with the Swirling Energy trait.

Obviously I don't want them to just grab it, or even be a guaranteed find, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
Whether to make it an exploration challenge they can permanently fail, or maybe perhaps somehow finding out about it from the regressives, finding a group unaware of their presence, and shadowing them to it (though none of the explorers have shadowing at the moment since that shit doesn't come until like rank 4 IIRC.)

The regressives would lead them to it because it's part of an incomplete ship being built to escape the chaos marine induced devastation but never completed. The regressives don't remember why or even what it is, just that it's somehow important to their (former) civilization and worship it. But given their civilization's fate, even ten thousand years later, are immediately hostile to unknown creatures, especially sentient ones.

Hmm, I forget what swirling energy does, but how about this?
The sub-humans are obviously terrified that they'll be attacked by traitor legions again, and they believe that there is something aboard their godship that would spell the end of the world if the traitors got it. Because of all the decades and centuries of oral tradition, they believe that someone who is not "pure" entering the ship will instantly result in the damnation of the cosmos, and so they have carefully prepared rituals for destroying the ship if such a contamination takes place, including awaking the "ancient guardians" to purge the godship and give it a merciful death.
So basically, the pcs have to find out about the godship, figure out that getting aboard it is going to be hard, and know that if the primitives find out they're going to try to destroy the ship rather than hand it over to 'em.
The "Ancient Guardians" can be whatever the hell you want: Dark Age robots, a group of insane space marines who have been kept in stasis, Necrons, proto-Rak'gol, maybe bizarre viral weapon of some kind, just something really bad and nasty that will not only kill the ship but also kill the explorers in a horrible way.
Also, to spice thing sup you gotta have some traitor leigonairs sneaking around trying to capture the godships secrets too.

>Swirling Energy trait.
I don't know what that is. But if you want to do something weird with it you could have it keeping something in. Like the locals have like a Cthulhu legend or something, a great evil came from the stars and brought ruin to the land. But their ancestors tricked the evil by offering it the the ancient wizard weapons of old, the firelances (atomics). They then trapped the evil beneath the world and it lays there to this day, never dead always slumbering.

Assuming they follow this, the words ancient weapons should attract their attention. You can lead them to an old weapons research facility and have it protected by the ancestors of the original garrison (now like a weird order of warrior monks). All the atomics are, of course, no good due to age. But after further hunting they find an ancient vault, they open it and, hey there's a gellar field here, that's fucking weird. And inside the vault is a bunch of suits of ancient Space Marine armour and they look pretty pristine. But it's got alot of iconography that they don't recognize. Deactivate the field and suddenly Rubric Marines. Rubric Marines EVERYWHERE.

>>A shroud of energy surrounds this object, shimmering, glowing, or perhaps even flaring into existence before vanishing periodically.
>>Ship Component: If this Component would ever become unpowered or stop generating Power, so long as it is not destroyed in the process, it continues to do so for 1d10 minutes after it would normally shut down.
Relevant text. Note, RAW, that this trait is almost entirely useless, as each ship combat Strategic Turn is 30 minutes. A 5-minute grace period to attempt an emergency jump out of the Warp is nice, but...not really archeotech tier, IMO. If it meant 1d10 Strategic turns (And thus up to about 4-5 hours) it would make a lot more sense.

(OP)

>biggest fuckup

DH2e. Failed to spot That Guy for what he was, as I was focusing on getting a relative 40k newbie to understand the setting. I'd say I did well with that, but it was too late. For you see, the group was going Radical, and That Guy made a deal with a Daemon. Suffice to say most of the group bailed as I tried to deal with my first ever overpowered player. Learnt a lot, though.

Now, the image of the young and solitary hive city of Lesklavaj - uh, I mean Lesklavak - on Koripsyon 2. The tithe is 0.008% under what the Imperium demands, and one of the local Arbites have made it known to an agent that the governor has obstructed their investigations in a technically legal manner, and that he has put off purges to the point where parts of the ground level have become lawless areas where scum shelter.

There's a bunch of references to a book series I like - the Discworld one is a red herring.

Had to reduce this from roughly 7000x5000 to get under 8MB. I'll upload one without the place names shortly.

Without the place names.

Bumping with a question: How do you get new blood to play RT?

How different are stat blocks between Dark Heresy 1E and 2E?
As in, if I wanted to run the missions from 1E in 2E, am I better off taking the idea and rebuilding it, or should I be fine?

The balance is totally different, and all the talents work differently.

Between OW and DH2e you can probably find all the stat blocks you need though, so just run the adventure but crib the stat blocks from other books.

If you can sell it to them as East India Trading Company In Space and that sounds like a good idea to them, it should be pretty easy.

Tone down the grimderp for rank newbies, but also let them know things like skulls in the imperium represents unity and holiness instead of mortality and decay. Otherwise DH seems like the better bet.