PACYOA general #133

Where the points don't matter Edition

Hello and welcome to the Power Armor CYOA: Teamwork Edition General!
Post suit builds, discuss fluff, and talk about the deadest of games.

Rizon IRC Channels:
#ACHQ is currently the most active channel.
#PACYOA is sparsely populated.

Some relevant links:

Blackmarket, Mission Rewards, and Fusion Weapons: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bzx2eGmbnViIMFY4UTEtTWxkM2M

Setting and Lore dump, along with a slightly outdated rundown of the game: the-power-armor-cyoa.wikia.com/wiki/PACYOA:TE_Lore_General

the-power-armor-cyoa.wikia.com/wiki/PACYOA_Teamwork_Edition

Old threads and Missions archive, now updated courtesy of Eisenstein: the-power-armor-cyoa.wikia.com/wiki/Thread_History

Remember to fly the drone filled skies....

Other urls found in this thread:

the-power-armor-cyoa.wikia.com/wiki/Pilot_Page_Format_(TE)
imgur.com/a/T5ALI#0
imgur.com/a/15yRR#0
imgur.com/a/MHmTp#0
imgur.com/a/RoluL#0
imgur.com/a/SdnQd#0
imgur.com/a/Tj41X#0
imgur.com/a/4TNwf#0
imgur.com/a/rfqhT#0
docs.google.com/document/d/1koIKOqMGemnz8i_f2njLjVzV0o2hMoqYs0CJeTFkkF0/edit?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=0zVmdCICQok
the-power-armor-cyoa.wikia.com/wiki/Kion
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How to make a wiki page
the-power-armor-cyoa.wikia.com/wiki/Pilot_Page_Format_(TE)
1) Go to the above URL.
2) Click on the dropdown box next to the "Edit button"
3) Click on "Classic Editor"
4) Click on the tab that says "Source"
5) Copy all the text in the box
6) Leave the editor and click on any other page in the wiki.
7) Click on the contribute button
8) Click create a new page.
9) Enter a name for the page
10) Hit edit, then switch to the classic editor, and then click on the source tab
11) Paste the template and fill it out with your character information

Galleries of Power Armor images for character creation

imgur.com/a/T5ALI#0
imgur.com/a/15yRR#0
imgur.com/a/MHmTp#0
imgur.com/a/RoluL#0
imgur.com/a/SdnQd#0
imgur.com/a/Tj41X#0
imgur.com/a/4TNwf#0
imgur.com/a/rfqhT#0

First for Elves are faggots.

First for GI is run by animals.

First for ever since the abstinence movement nobody understands what "first" means.

I will be running a mission this sunday. Time and plot unknown as I filter out what are good ideas and bad ideas. At least I have this week off!

>Not being a Non-Tolkien Style Fae.
Of course Elves are lesser, ya gotta get those fancy eyes and skin markings instead. Pointy ears are physically bother some.

I love animals, I have a few friends who are animals.

It was only a matter of time

Just a reminder my mission is set for Friday at 3pm EST

I never got why that existed. Anyone know how or why?

Literally no clue. Probably just made it kinda Veeky Forums.

IMO if you're going to shove elves into your fucking mecha CYOA you should commit to it way more than the original did.

Considering that it's a CYOA, the guy who made it probably just did it for more of the wish-fulfillment faggots in the CYOA generals

it was literally because the guy who made the very first PACYOA version was a huge elf lover, even making an elf character for the first iteration of it. After that, it's mostly stuck around as sort of an unquestioned tradition of the CYOA, though Fool did try and integrate it into the plot.

Kek

That's true, there are even bonuses for being Infused if you use the Ronin visor.

I don't think I can play this game any more.

Eh, technically that's another universe altogether, and I don't think the guy even shows up around here anymore.

That was in remembrance of one of the first pilots ever, who played in Water Main. She wasn't an elf for the speshul snowflakeness but rather because of transhumanism; infused in TE are less of "hey look, pointy ears" and more humans infused with alien DNA to become faster, stronger and more resistant. Less elf and more Captain America.

At leadt that the way I see it.

Yeah there's that, it's definitely a good way to look at things. And you're not wrong

Behold the follow up to last thread's "You'll have crappy weapons." statement.

Now I'm aiming for:
Particle Edge Blade (1)
Graser (1)
Particle Edge Blade (1)
Graser (1)
Pulse Rifle (0.5)
Laser Rifle (0.5)
Laser Rifle (0.5)
Micro Missiles (1)
Wave-Motion Gun (1)

Also a bump.

D'you have a link to the rest of your build?

Also: what's your suits general MO gonna be? What are you going to do, and what will your suit have that will do it?

Bump

>not mentioning the Fae
>not mentioning the shitstorm that was the Fae
>not mentioning the origin of Progenitor Nanites
>not mentioning the words of changing DNA, verbatum, "[...] from human to elvish"

In short: EEEEEELVES.
I bet you're being silent about it being a former EFA member.

Anyway, that was mostly old PACYOA-era stuff.
>mfw space elves

>D'you have a link to the rest of your build?
I have this wrote down as in literally now:
Class: Light
Type: Biped
Stats: Dex: 5, Dur: 3, Pow: 4, Rec: 8, Spd: 5 (6, on even ground.), & Str: 2
Interface: Nerve Suit
HUD: Advanced Suit Status, Hawkeye, Night Vision, Thermal Vision, & RADAR
Comms.: Radio Transmitter & Defense Maze
Features: Skates
Utilities: Environmental Controls, Environmental Controls II, Capacitor I, Solar Panels, Photosynthetic Augment, Collapsible, Power Transfer, Kinetic Stabilizers, Maneuvering Rockets, Armour Plating, & Jump Jets
Weapons: Particle Edge Blade & Pulse Rifle
Suit AI: Engineer
Defense: EMP Shield
Drones: None
Nanites: Hydra & Mycelium I

>Also: what's your suits general MO gonna be? What are you going to do, and what will your suit have that will do it?
Whatever I generally needed it to do at the time. Although it follows the "CQC & Speedy Support" doctrine at the moment, as per stated on the wiki page. Although I'll have to grow into that a bit more as time goes on.

Well, that was AD. Also, seriously FUCK the Fae. seriously, so many damn shitstorms over them.

That was PACYOA in general. That was in Divergant's and Bliss's versions.

Don't pin it all on AD now, as much as people fail to make the distinction between AD and the original PACYOA stuff.

And yes, fuck the Fae.

Fair enough, and at least it was a problem in fluff only.

>FUCK the Fae
>fuck the Fae

What if they don't style themselves after Tolkien's Knife Ears?

Bear in mind there's a number of ways to play support. Healing, defence, hacking, debuffing (ex. emp and stat reduction), spatial control, and probably others. I'd personally pick a few of these and focus everything on them.

100% purely subjective Stat rundown:
>Dex: v. necessary for CQC
>Str is too. It's a whole 1:1 damage buff. If you want to focus on CQC, consider investing in Str.
>Spd is good for zipping in to save/slice people.
>Dur isn't a big deal. Your high Dex & Speed means you'll be dodging most attacks, and your healing means when you do get hit -- you'll recover.
>Pow and Rec are only good for those sweet Advanced Actions. Currently you have 6; perhaps you want to aim for the full 12?
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: stats are nearly impossible to change after you've created your suit, as they're mostly tied to body type. Choose them wisely. Ex. at 5 Dex you'll never be able to attack the same enemy with the same melee weapon twice.

Efficiency:
>replace skates, biped, night vision and hawkeye for one Avian (5 less points, permanent +2 speed buff instead of a situational +1 spd, AND gives you flight).
>~~Or, to avoid the -1 dur, replace the skates, jump-jets & biped for Hopper (10 less points, permanent +1 spd +1 dex)
>replace Solar Panels & Photosynthetics with Bio (10 points less)
And now you could ditch the stat buffs (like Kinetic Stabilisers) for an extra 10 points, if you wanted to.

General:
>burrow, to flee with (or without) injured suits underground
>replace mycelium I with hydra II (to team heal; I dunno how hydra II works though)
>take repair gel
>ditch nerve suit (doesn't do anything; save the points or spend 5 more on brainwave harness so you can get a cyberbrain)
>ditch the collapsible
>ditch the Armour Plating -- assuming you're not at 0 Dur
>take lockpick countermeasures
>focus more on CQC. Replace Pulse Rifles with flamethrowers (to Dur debuff) and/or other stat debuffers.

Well now you get to the core of the Fae debates

>what if they were grey ayys?
>what if they were insectoids?
>what if they were instead?
>what if they did instead?
>what if [...]?
>ad nausea

That was the Fae debates. Everyone thinking up ideas and no one agreeing on shit. "Your idea is shit, my idea is better" type arguments spanning ages.

The only thing that ever reached semblance of a concensus was an idea of if they had an eye color caste system, which was funny.

I'm going to be as honest as I can with you, all of that sounds completely and utterly unsatisfying. It sounds like ripping the very heart out of something that was supposed to be fun, and making it yet another soul sucking, self-loathing endeavor that doesn't even come close to being worth it in the end.

So THIS is what min maxing feels like.

Your choice, user. But what were you hoping for? This is a game based off a CYOA; juggling stats and building suits is a big part of the Fun.

Unfortunately pretty much every game eventually boils down to this. There are only a very few that don't, and to my knowledge they all depend on human interaction -- luckily you can do some of this in-mission in the form of PC plans (tm), but in honesty you'll still want a good suit build.

Sorry. Correction. I have been offered good pay to work this weekend. Sorry but no mission, I will be on the chats however.

>FUCK the Fae

Don't mind if I do!
I just got an elf slave myself. What do?

>Unfortunately pretty much every game eventually boils down to this.

Honestly this does happen in EVERY GAME.
Then the GM has to try and min-max to make things a challenge, which leads to more deaths and drama, and then a new game pops up.

It's the cycle of pen and papers.

I just try to make the challenge more story based. Taking away the fear of one-shotting people.

I REALLY HATE SAVE-OR-DIE BULLSHIT.

>I just got an elf slave myself. What do?
Free her or him, and report whoever sold you them. Then proceed to stop being a lazy bum and actually work for a living.

>I just got an elf slave myself. What do?
That depends if normal elf or brown elf.

>I just try to make the challenge more story based. Taking away the fear of one-shotting people.
Honestly, I think putting some things outside of the control of the mechanics of the game, not necessarily "story" but close enough is a good start.
It's one thing when the mission is a bare-bones "go here, kill things", but when you get a mission that requires you to adapt and think about how to handle a situation, it makes shit a lot harder. It also helps minmaxers who like to make characters who can 1HKO others by saying "you know what? Fuck you, here's twenty enemies. I know it'll take you twenty turns. Tough shit."

Then there's SR's approach, which is "force players to minmax by intel gathering on the enemy forces and adjust to it or else they're fucked". Also a possibility.

At least he was finding some semblance of use with the knife ear as a slave. I bet you'd free gnolls or ayyys from slavery as well.

>mfw people actually defend knife ears

A question: When purchasing Drone upgrades for a Fortress class suit, do both drones get upgraded, or do we need to purchase upgrades per drone as per normal?

To be honest I really feel that when it comes to support and non-combat related things, there's no one clear way to min-max and to be honest it actually comes more to a bit of imagination and cleverness.

What seems maximized to one player might not be to another, for example I've gotten loads of uses out of Collapsible throughout many missions, particularly in terms of hiding.

I strongly feel that any build can and should work min-maxed or not, as long as you use it intelligently. True you can't just ignore stats, but they aren't everything. Even Ivan, my suit from the beginning, has Mycelium and a few other fluff things but still managed to kick as for two years of gameplay.

My own character Takeda is specced as a both Stealth Combat and TE engineering support, even with existing TE maluses.

One purchase suffices for both, think of it less like buying two drones and more like getting an extra copy. At least, that's what I remember someone correct me if it's changed.

Thank you very much. This was weighing heavily on my suit's design.

>To be honest I really feel that when it comes to support and non-combat related things

I have the max tech bonus of +/- 20, all the kits, improved kits, all the tech options, power transfer for EMP, the ability to shove heavy or small suits into me and EE, and I can PB.

At that point anything else like burrowing is kinda like an extra option.

How many one-hit-fuck-your-shit style melee suits do we have?

Truly best elves.

Aye, definitely I would say bonuses still do play into it. But they only help, the other half is still imagination.

Burrowing has proven tremendously useful to me, especially in terms of stealth and evasion. I've managed to escape all kinds of trouble, and there are few things so satisfying as delivering a surprise explosive or hacking a suit literally right under their nose.

It's how I've managed to mitigate the dex and combat penalties, attacking at point blank range mitigates that.

I might as well post Tak's build to see if it's up to date from the last mission

---
docs.google.com/document/d/1koIKOqMGemnz8i_f2njLjVzV0o2hMoqYs0CJeTFkkF0/edit?usp=sharing

Dammit, Veeky Forums thinks the build is spam so I can't post it outright.

Anyway, one of my favorite aspects of this suit is the ability to use Plasma Wire.

By combining Spinner + Tentacles + Natural Weapons and then upgrading Natural Weapons with a Particle Blade, the suit can effectively use multiple tentacles simultaneously to spin a web of white hot plasma wire around a cutting metal web. It's quite the nasty weapon, throw a net of this on an enemy and watch them cut themselves trying to tear it off.

I've also spun it as a form of barbed wire, very effective against swarm type enemies or infantry. Even when the plasma cools, it's still sharp.

Here's somethig else I was able to cook up with this character. Dirt's a really great concealment device, just about as effective as any stealth shield in terms of hiding one from enemy radar scans.

By staying underground with Burrower I can maintaining an ultra-low profile while doing such things as:
-poking out a tentacle from the ground to use it as a periscope, observing the surrounding before I pop out, or for example, making a concealed radar scan by deploying a Radar Dish
-hacking into an electronic door R2D2 style using (Tentacle + Worm Platform for extended length)
-planting a bomb underneath a suits hull while they aren't watching
-digging a small cave underneath a suit, then collapsing it causing them to fall into the ground ala Trap Door Spider.
-spraying some poor unwitting human guard with a load of web from underneath, if ever I need to capture someone.

These are all things I've done in game. Just use your head really.

Like... 2? Maybe 3. And like 1 or 2 "Nah nah you can't hit me" suits. Out of like 30+ suits.

>-spraying some poor unwitting human guard with a load of web from underneath, if ever I need to capture someone.

I was there for that. That was nightmare tier fuel man.

Takeda spends a bit too much time on the VR net for everyone's good.

Doc Roc, the Avian Fortress

Dex 1 Dur 4 Pow 5 Rec 3 Spe 5 Str 5

Engineer AI, Brainwave Harness, Flight, Hawk Eye, Nightvision, Advanced Suit Status, Radar Radio,

Shield: Bulwark of the Weak

Weapons Magnetic Phaser

Drone+upgrades: Heavy1, Heavy2 Destroyer (Metal Storm) Scavenger 1, Scavenger 2 Light1, Light2 Airstorm (EMP Grenade, Sticky Grenade)

Environmental Control 2 Solar Panels, Hydra II Mycelium

Style: Doc isn't a fighter, he's a medic. Able to heal with a touch, he rushes into combat zones and disaster areas, using his drones to establish a beachhead while he guards the wounded and tends to them. He's not afraid to just scoop up the injured and flee to safety. Live to fight another day and all that.

Is that wire in the fusion section?

Nope. All naturale' from the main PDF, but through the use of combo's.

Natural Weapons: Allows for integration of a single melee weapon of choice into your suit (with a 5 point cost reduction to that weapon)

Then purchase 1 Plasma Blade to upgrade it to a plasma natural weapon

As a Drider, Natural Weapons can be applied to Webs.

So Natural Weapons + Plasma Blade -> Web Spinner = Plasma Web Spinner.

I also purchased Tentacles (which also can get Natural Weapons applied to them).

I did this mainly as fluff rather than mechanics, but it lets me spin a web using tentacle arms which is cool.

BUMP

bumping with old ideas that will never make it into the game.

and then there's this.

A weapon that actually requires teamwork.

This was a thing once.

How many weapons would say is average for a starter suit?

2 maybe 3.

That though is largely dependant on the person and the suit they've built. A Hacker is gonna probably start with less dakka then others, cause they need the points to invest in nerd stuff.

At least 6. You should really push for more ASAP though.

Christ, could you imagine a whole team of people stacked top to bottom with prisms?

Just ten fortresses filled with them, all linked to one super-fast super-stealthy light that can go anywhere, and shoot anywhere, with celerity and overload.

Bump

I'd certainly like to get back in the hang of playing as well as hosting.

Are any new missions currently lined up?

Better; Ten fortresses filled to the brim with destroyer Heavies each mounting one of those.

>12 destroyers equipped with Prism lasers
>linked to a fort packing one
>this goes up to 12*6= 72 damage per shot

...love to see one get a crit-fail.

Yeah but that requires huge amounts of players. Why not simply have more fortresses, more lights?

What you really wanna do is pile fifteen lights in a fortress that's got the highest motherfucking fire rate you've seen (a heavy for gattai -- or a double up -- to share celerity, ofc) and then siege up for that splash damage. Now you've got a compact megatank.

This could be my own stupidity, but where's this "Ronin Visor" everyone is mentioning?

Black market. Link's in the OP.

Side note: it only uses a 2 Dex = +1 damage conversion rate, not the 1 Dex = +1 damage its flavour text says.

If the next cunt to make the thread could update the OP with this in mind, that'd be great.

Bampu threadu

>Make a speedster suit.
>Buy 2x Heavy Bomb generator
>Become bomberman.

I made an el luchador suit.

Medium
Hunter 40
Capacitor 1+2 60
soldier 70
Extra limbs X2 80
4 power fists 140
Flight 160
hydra 170
breserker 180
EMP shield 190
EMP nades X2 200
Night vision free
Radar free
EC 2+3 free
Camo free

6 dex
3 dur
4 pow
4 rec
5 speed (7 in air)
3 str

-22 dex
10 tech pen
+10 com

"No elves nor bots in the halls of hunters, only men."

You've got one too many free things there. Between Night Vision, Radar, Camo, and EC 2&3, you've gotta get rid of one, user.

Heads up guys, my mission may be delayed today. Will keep you updated.

>Are you fast enough to outrun a bomb you placed down
Hah, now that's what I'm talking about.

youtube.com/watch?v=0zVmdCICQok

Say Ivan, can you post you mission again? I want to see if the time fits for me.

BUMP OF LIFE

Unfortunately things got worse not better, posting from phone but game can be expected to start at 4pm Est at best

Is there a signup?

There already was one. This is just a continuation of a two part mission.

Oh, are you saying new pilots can't join?

GI gives free camo now.

they might allow people in, but you will have to ask Ivan when he gets his mission up

Shit, I got a jab and now I'm woozier than normal. I'll try and keep up, but don't be too surprised if I conk out early or straight-up no-show.

I have a contingency plan for new joiners. I am dead set on playing today but startups may be delayed.

I would like to know how many new people want to join

I would join if that's possible. Want me to post my build?

Go ahead

Still here, thread may have to go up at 5

Here it is yo

the-power-armor-cyoa.wikia.com/wiki/Kion

Yeah I'm out senpai.

Finally home!

Thread is going up

Fuck when does the mission start?

THREAD IS UP!

I give around 30min to an hour to let people trickle in.

Ah, sorry, you'll be missed

Blitzpferd.

Has anybody else played sid meier's alpha centauri?

bump

Have another TGT bump.

Reminder that my mission will be on sunday 12 PM CST.

If 5 players and I are on then it will be early. No reserved slots to make it so everyone has a chance to play (and to try out that system to see if it prevents chaos.)

Mission plot post will be in 12 hours or so.