Mary Sue experiences thread

As the title suggests this thread is about your personal encounter with Mary Sues in your various games, d&d, rp forums, etc. I will begin

>get called by friend to PC in a d&d game for a few sessions (taking control of an important NPC because Gm got tired of playing him foe the past 3 sessions)
>I agree and he warns me that the party is… difficult.
>drive to his place before anyone arrives
>they come one at a time over a half an hour
>the first is a normal dude with a basic healer role, his character is normal in cleric terms
>he says hello and goes back out to his car and grabs a big ass bag of chips he's the good guy
>the second is a chick she seems ok but her character is a sue, cat girl rogue wo uses dual katanas and has a 'tragic' back story and she wants to kill her father or something bc 'he dishonored muh clan'
>also has eyes both being a different color, and blue and she says 'it changes when she's angry' and wears all black
>third guy comes in and by the way he walks I know he's a 'that guy' as his character is a half elf rogue who abuses the rules to the fullest and also uses dual katanas, his disc. makes him out to be quote "sharp features and very handsome" wears all black and broods when not fighting or sharpening his weapons menacingly in the taverns
>the fourth and last is another chick, female elf fighter who as she puts it "has a tragic past and hates violence and killing" despite being the tank and the heavy hitter she tries to knock out every enemy (sapient) and "convince them to change". Wears plate armor and uses a bo staff to do damage and says it was her fathers before he died via heroic sacrifice to save family.

All of them but the cleric had no apparent flaws what so ever and the said healer is the only reason they party is still alive.

Anyone have other stories to share?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x9ZRjIiNzhM&t=8s
youtu.be/xg9Y6TkGiSA?t=1m55s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Forgive my English I'm new to it somewhat

I got no storys but the new guy to our games might be a mary sue evil edition. Only played one game but from his personality and his interests it's a big possibility.

that image
>heterochromia
perfect

Bump because I don't have any of my own

My friend joined my campaign with a character he refused to give flaws.
If your players do this, assume the flaw is pride.

Guy who could counter and out damage lightsabers in pvp in star wars with his fists straight out of chargen.

I forgot to do flaws for a character once, ended up saying that he was racist to elves as the DM was collecting stat info

How's that a flaw?

Around Elves watch yourselves.

No, it's a flaw, by racist to elves I mean KKK racist and going out of his way to kill elves all the time. Our party had to go through an elf city and he straight up murdered 30 people. The best part is that he's a half elf and his dad raped his mom which resulted in his birth.

that's quite the edgy character there user

Post mary sues who ended up being pretty fun characters anyway

It's like that because it was an evil campaign and we all decided our characters had to be edgy, all of them for one reason or another. We spice stuff up with themes sometimes you know? Good party that's all clerics, neutral party that is all thieves, fun stuff.

That... Okay, as stupidly broken as that is in the game, I do kind of want to see that in Star Wars now. Just some jack off edgelord sumbitch who kills sith or jedi with his bare hands. Like watching Bruce Lee or Jacky Chan beat up swordsmen with their fists.

Oh man, my group has done an all wizards (wizard academy setting, like Harry Potter but playing as the teachers), all thieves (heist game, very interesting but never got off the ground), and all fighters. I have no idea how, but the all fighter game turned into one of our most role-play heavy social campaigns.

Yea, maybe do that "warband" kinda vibe i get from that arc from berserk and prosnorkulus and other things.

>I have no idea how, but the all fighter game turned into one of our most role-play heavy social campaigns.
Probably on the ground of dnd fighters being so absolutely boring shit in pure rollplay, so you flocked to roleplay instead.

You know, I always see that version of heterochromia, and that disappoints me. I vastly prefer the kind of heterochromia where the outer edge and inner edge of your irises are different colors.

Its the default flaw for all my fantasy characters - I also forgot to do something interesting for my very first character so I made his racist to half-elves, since he considered elves to be above humanity.

Actually turned out pretty sweet when he had a story arc and character development with the party's half-elf druid.

>I vastly prefer the kind of heterochromia where the outer edge and inner edge of your irises are different colors.

I actually have that, with the outer ring being green, the middle blue and the inner hazel-ish. There's also this thing where there are segments of each eye that are brown, while the rest are a green/blue mix. The weird thing is that their positioning is such that the segment in my right eye is roughly at the 2 o'clock point (if looking at it) while the one in my left eye is at the 10 o'clock point.

I think it's called 'segmented heterochromia' or something.

I never thought I'd tell such a bullshit-sounding story on Veeky Forums of all places, but that's the honest truth. I might see if I can take a picture or something but I don't have a good camera.

Then at least have a steady hand.

That was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Turns out shining a light in your eye to get the colours right is actually quite sore.

>Not knowing the elf hate meme.

Fucking kids these days.

>I actually have that, with the outer ring being green, the middle blue and the inner hazel-ish.
Are you me? Holy fuck.

For years I didn't know hetrochromia could be that, just thought I was seeing things when I looked in the mirror.

>>Playing a lighthearted freeform RPG on ancient internet messaging system
>>Girl from Estonia has been chatting us up lately and we all like her
>>She knows virtually nothing outside of her former soviet bloc shithole country
>>Introduce her to all the wonders of nerdom
>>Invite her to join RPG eventually
>>Cant play the first time because she has a panic attack
>>Oooohhh kaaayy calm down its not that big a deal
>>Finally joins game playing a character she says she had made up in her head over the years of crushing loneliness in old country
>>Is apparently playing a super-god that crushes less demons gods etc with ease
>>Can apparently do anything she feels like with unimaginable ancient power
>>Gets angry when I dont recognize that the eyepoke thing she seemed to do is supposed to suck the soul of the target
>>Dissconnects

I still cant believe I spent several years dating her after that

Lol a full cleric party is like a team of medics in tf2: shit dpr (damage per round) but no shortage of heals. The back story was the temple we all worked at was raided and everyone but us 4 survived.

>Clerics low damage
>What is Codzilla

eee, so you dated a mary sue estonian girl, that you know in the old net? I'm legitimaly reactionless with a little bit of curiosity, would you care to tell the story?

cool eyes dude

Something that happened in 3.5 and never again.

STORY TIME, STORY TIME!

It's unfortunate that sues have sort of soured people on specific character traits. In middle school my principle had one rainbow iris that I'm pretty sure he wasn't born with. But he was a flabby middle aged man, an ex-alcoholic, a born-again Christian teaching school at a correctional facility... basically a pretty cool basis for an RPG character in some games.

I don't really refuse to give my characters flaws, I'm just more interested in their goals initially. If the game is good the character might grow behavioral quirks in play, but it's a hell of a thing to commit to before knowing what the game's about.

Why is heterochromia more popular in Mary Sues than single-but-rare eye colors? Like gold, red, orange, pink, purple, yellow, etc.

Anime.

I was thinking the same thing, but aren't there plenty of rare / never seen in humans eyecolors in anime as well?

well Donnie Yen is in Rogue One, you know this guy: youtube.com/watch?v=x9ZRjIiNzhM&t=8s

Yeah, but separately coloured eyes are super-special rare

Personally I enjoy black sclera for my more..sueish characters. Fucking hollow eyes, man

>not posting the scene where he fight a guy wielding a sword
youtu.be/xg9Y6TkGiSA?t=1m55s

Central heterochromea seems to be a too common trait to be attractive for people that make sues.

>Playing high-fantasy pulp bronze age RPG
>Friend asks if he can bring friend who happens to be a girl.
>Only fair because I, the DM, let my girlfriend play.
>She watches the first session, and actually shows promise, catching on to things a lot faster than some of the other players and making fairly deep observations about situations and how the party should proceed.
>I agree to let her play, and we start making a character.
>"user, can I be a demigod?"
>OhGodNo.jpg
>"No, this system doesnt really support that"
>"How about an angel?"
>"No"
>"How about a half-angel?"
>"No"
>"Ok, Ive got an idea then"
>"lets hear it..."
>"My character grew up in [ancient ruin half sunk into a swamp] but was cast out because she was so beautiful they thought she must be the daughter of a God, and she's eternally beautiful and is a temptress assassin".
>"...fine..."
It was too late at that point. Rather bafflingly she only put a single of her 12 character creation points into being attractive, and the rest into being good at using a bow and alchemy "so I can have enchanted weapons".

Because heterochromia allows for TWO seperate super-rare eye colors.

This. Its like dual wielding double bladed lightsabers, all with unique colours i miss the old eu

Because being a mary-sue is all about not having to chose, and not being nailed down to any one thing. A mary-sue is everything at once.

The SWEU is genuinely the worst setting, on average, in all of fiction-dom.

>retcon it all away
>continue shamelessly stealing elements from it and repeating all the mistakes it did

Star Wars Episode XII: Invasion of Vuuzhan Yong when?

>tfw your old swtor sorc would be called a sue

I thought my green-black saber was pimp af for a sith healer

If Rey takes Anakins spot, I'd be ok with it. Even if it means she also gets to mark off martyr on the mary-sue checklist

I'd allow a character that is delusional and thinks she/he is the daughter/avatar/angel of god. Maybe the characters conviction leads to something.

Disney's primary motivation was probably just wanting to be able to essentially re-release all the content with a fresh coat of paint and new book titles to rake in all that dork-money.

Star Wars has the best and worst sues

See, I dont think thats what she's getting at, and most of the players in the group are so new that any sort of long term subversion like that wouldnt be received well

>Play stuff over roll20 because I live in a city where there is no RPG activity
>Get into a pathfinder group
>Play a shield bashing dwarf ranger because we lack a tank otherwise
>1 player is a sorcerer who apparently is destined to be the strongest caster ever because an angel told him that, two ninjas who have traveled to half across the world here to find somebody they must kill and both of them brood, last one is a neon colored druid who just wants to show everybody the better way of nature by, apparently, going on a mass murder spree of town guards for not liking how she destroyed the infrastructure by sprouting trees through the middle of the street and still claims to be a NG druid
>Two sessions go and the rogues kill half the shopkeepers to steal their inventory, sorcerer keeps rubbing it in my face for being the most powerful and druid keeps destroying things and blaming the people whose houses she demolishes for being in the wrong while always arguing how she still is good
>On the third session I find out that I can't keep coming due to time restrictions
>They bid me good bye and say I was a good player (going to assume because I didn't break out crying about their mary sues)
>Glad I got away from their mary sues, but also saddened because they otherwise seemed nice people

And this is why I feel conflicted with people who go the mary sue route.

I don't know if this story will fit, but it feels like Mary Sue even without rainbow hair and other half-god shit. Not character Mary Sue, living player Mary Sue.

>She just need her character to be perfect in everything possible. It isn't bad, but her imagination is not so impressive and ofthen ends with recent or favorite movie scenes. Her characters ofthen bound to one task no matter what.
>Created different characters with cliche backstories: all my village was killed, I was a child assassin, molestation victim, rebellion against authorities. All characters are the same basic self-insert with minor difference, no matter is it fantasy court magician, or 40k gang member, or something else.
>She claims to be group's moral compass, and talks about it both IC and OOC every time she can. It somehow doesn't stop her from killing people or doing weird and ofthen amoral things. She spends quite a time talking about us being pointlessly cruel, but kills homeless man just because he refused to give his stuff to her for free. She tries to steal some paper from village blacksmith, burning half of said village down, and feels bad because villagers are pissed at her. She laughs in face of badly injured party member, calling him weak and useless, and really doesn't understand why he's so angry about it. One time she started useless fight and made her character to commit suicide just to slip out of responsibility.
>She is afraid of grey morality or complex siuations without one obvious RIGHT choice. One time DM tricked her into "wrong decision", and she literally nag him to retcon it back and give her a safe raildoad to "right" one.
>She wants her character to be strong and talk about it, but ofthen hides behind the backs, or panicing when there is no back to hide behind.
>She wants her character to be pretty. Not "godlike pretty with glitter and neon colors", but prettier than everyone else in a group.
>She feels offended every time her character fails her rolls.

That's too pretty though. We don't want people jacking it under the table.
Hnnng!

Do it at an angle.
Still annoying, but, ya know.

Man, I've just got boring old grey eyes.

I never really set anything in stone besides my character's backstory.
The "goal" that I write down is usually just something like "Wants to see the world" or something like that, and then I let their goals and flaws develop from there.

seconded

I always default to black too.
For everything, really.
Skin, hair, eye, clothing color.
I just like the color black, and it keeps things simpler than if I had to choose fifty million different colors.

I do more GMing than playing, which is part of why I like a little more specificity in goals than anything else. When I run, I can prep games around clear and specific goals much better than around vague tendencies like alcoholism or wanderlust. Might just be down to a personal preference though.

I suppose that makes sense.
It's just that more often than not, I'll set a goal, but then end up deciding to do something else.

True. Having two or three, or a mix of the vague and the specific, is probably best. Both because it gives you a few options and because it gives you more excuses to tag along on other players' things.

I love how he just ATATATATATATATATATATAs all over them.

I played heavenly beautiful character once. Her face was chopped off, thank you mr Dark Heresy crit table.

I have a dark green outer edge but copper inner edge. Sadly, it means my eyes look ugly brown unless you're 5cm away.

The proportion of the two colors aren't the same in the left and right eye, too. I always thought everyone had some color variation in their eyes.

Do you ask you GM for stealth bonuses from time to time?

I wouldn't mind being 5cm away

I wasn't aware that was a form of heterochromia, to be honest.
Are you me? I just thought people called that hazel.

My sister has heterochromia. One gray and one green. Or maybe it's brown and green.

One of them is green, anyway. She's the only one in our family with a green eye.

Nah.
Wouldn't feel right to use a cosmetic thing for a gameplay bonus.

I had a similar thing: I literally wasn't sure whether my eyes were a dark green or blue whilst I was growing up. Turns out I was wrong on both counts: grey eyes are known to appear both green and blue depending on mood and lighting. Spent a few minutes staring at my eyes to really let it sink in.

Sounds like an asshole I used to game with, but he was more the brooding, edgy type. Spent most of his time talking loudly about how everyone was stupid and useless to prevent anyone but him from being able to talk to the GM until people just started shouting him down.

Didn't help that half our players were his roommates, so they needed to let the baby have the bottle just to keep the peace in their house.

This is good but for the most part they all attack him at once negating the primary advantage of there being ten of them

i always experienced that gaming systems mostly prevent sue-ism due to balancing and agreeing on a starting level.
they might be a special snowflake anyway, but they are unable to take away the importance of other players / characters like a real mary sue would.
rather , they turn out to be ironical sues that are much more unique and ridiculous but not more important to everything than the other participants.

Was I a sue in this PF game?
>half-elven, born to single human mother
>mother was mocked for being a whore, he was mocked by extension
>fought back regularly, was beaten every time (he was rather small for his age)
>woke up one morning to discover that he suddenly had a magic animated tattoo on his body (Tattooed Sorcerer archetype)
>$kingdom kept all magic users on a short chain because the previous tyrannical council was all sorcerers who ruled by magic, new leadership wouldn't risk that happening again
>PC booked it so he wouldn't get locked up
Making matters worse, he was Draconic bloodline (Gold), and I was hoping to have him eventually meet his father (in case you hadn't guessed, a gold dragon) somewhere along the line. Also, as soon as he was able to Wish he'd basically polymorph himself into a gold dragon of equivalent maturity and power. I was 15, cut me some slack.

Since Sue apparently means, like just about every derogatory term here, "someone who isn't me and therefore is having badwrongfun" the answer is depends on whose perspective?
Yours no, other players yes.

A Mary Sue is a character the author loves, and can't get the audience to love. Of course they're super-attractive, never wrong, and good at everything: they're being described by someone who is completely smitten with them.

I once played a notChinese princess who was acombination of Wu Zetian,Hillary Clinton and Azula.
The person playing her brother in law made a legendary hero who was petrified by basilisks but somehow managed to not be frozen after 200 years because he's just that awesome. He also has goddesses at his beck and call and seems to pull an unlimited number of rare and powerful magical items out of his ass. He is also super strong, immune to mortal weapons, and oh so charming.

That's an extremely Sue backstory, but... did you actually roleplay a Sue?

Most players are not actual writers, so the backstories are invariably bad. Yours is just cliche and sounds like something a weeabo would make, but unless you actually played like a Sue it wouldn't matter.

For instance:
>mother was mocked for being a whore, he was mocked by extension
>fought back regularly, was beaten every time (he was rather small for his age)
Do you keep bringing this up or is this just something you and the storyteller and no one else knows?

>woke up one morning to discover that he suddenly had a magic animated tattoo on his body (Tattooed Sorcerer archetype)
Was this thrown in everyone's faces all the time or never?

>$kingdom kept all magic users on a short chain because the previous tyrannical council was all sorcerers who ruled by magic, new leadership wouldn't risk that happening again
How often did the party have to pay for you being a special snowflake?

Like I said, backstories are invariably bad, so yours being a little terrible is not going to be special in any way. Now if you were to be inconvenient mid-session...

>one quick google image search later
Shit that's a form of heterochromia?
I have that, it runs in my family, my mom and brother have it too.

You're a good user, user.

I thought all eyes looked like that!

Quoted from wikipedia:

>Hazel eyes are due to a combination of Rayleigh scattering and a moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer.[4][30] Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a brown to a green. Although hazel mostly consists of brown and green, the dominant color in the eye can either be brown/gold or green. This is how many people mistake hazel eyes to be amber and vice versa.[69][70][71][72][73][74][75] This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown/amber near the pupil and charcoal or dark green on the outer part of the iris (or vice versa) when observed in sunlight.

>Definitions of the eye color hazel vary: it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with light brown or gold, as in the color of a hazelnut shell.[69][71][74][76]

>Hazel eyes are common throughout Caucasoid populations, in particular in regions where blue, green and brown eyed peoples are intermixed.

I guess every day is a school day.

>Are you me? I just thought people called that hazel.
I think that is actually the term for it, but I was never quite sure if hazel was a particular shade, or heterochromatic.

>the temple we all worked at was raided and everyone but us 4 survived

Zombie party?

>this thread
>the embarrassing revelation that my driver's license should read HZL instead of GRN
Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Anyone has that greentext about Rei from Star Wars made chracter sheet, with the DM Pointing out how munchkin it sounded?

I see what you did there.

All force users are OP, it's like casters and martials in 3rd Edition...or Jedi and non-Jedi in the D20 Star Wars game.

No, we were all alive, the characters we played were "bad" clerics that went out drinking and the quest was our penitence

Aye, it's way too common. My family on my Dad's side tends towards it. Me, my sister, and about a third of my cousins have very similar blue outer with yellow or green inner.

Yeh but this sheet basically all flaws meaningless.

Like Wanderlust when she actually had to get out of the planet, or wanted by some random scavenger that cant even go off-planet.

Veeky Forums, where discussions on annoyingly perfect characters in TTRPGs can turn into a soul-searching discovery for people discovering the true nature of their eye colour.

And this is why it is my favourite board.

>be me
>long time friend (LT) of mine wants to introduce some friends to roleplaying
>offer to GM
>We decide to play warhammer fantasy
>new guy wants to play an elf
>I explain the difficulties the race must face in the rural parts of the empire
>he says he's ok with that
>creates a elf mercenary
>want's to have a good relation to humans and we decide that way back when he was a child he played with human kids that wandered into the forest
>fast forward to the gaming date
>his male elven mercenary is now suddenly female
>takes pic related as character pic
>changed his backstory to "was a small elven girl living in a rural imperial village"
>tell him my problems with all that shit
>he seems to understand
>we start playing
>plot is for them as strangers to be suspected of poisoning the well after a woman dies mysteriously
>they get surrounded by armed farmers and militia
>they get handcuffed
>local sigmar priest gives them a chance to show their innocence
>New guy asks around everywhere for a job, tells everyone he's a mercenary and looking for blood
>I drink the third bottle of beer in half an hour and tell him what is wrong with that, trying to help the new player understand his position in the game at hand
>Players decide to investigate the church
>Sigmar Priest gets angry at the suspected criminals suspecting him
>new guy tells him to "fuck off, you can't tell me what to do"
>explain to the player that his elf was long enough around the empire as a mercenary to know that these guys have a lot of power
>Elf is pissing of Siggy-priest even more (don't know what he did, it was some time ago)
>I tell the player as a newbie that actively looking for trouble with the village authority and mighty npcs isn't the brightest idea he had
>player hear me, player don't care
>Priest challenges him to a duell
>Elf accepts
>Elf gets BTFO hard, 2 wounds left n stunned
>Player is pissed
>We end the session
>Player whines about my npcs being mary sues
>Never meet again

>>Yeh but this sheet basically all flaws meaningless.
I hate it so much when players do this!

Once, on a homebrewed game, one of my players came up with a sheet for this totally edgy guy who hunted evil people and then he picks a "Bad Reputation" flaw and explains it as "He's too strong and hunts evil people so he has a bad reputation with evil people and they fear him".

I mean, I can flip that and make it suck, but I hate that players go towards flaws with the full intention of making them irrelevant.

>Female player
>Always dumps STR
>Always maxes DEX
>Frequently prioritizes CHA
>Will do anything for an animal companion

The only time this didn't happen was once when we had a married couple play with our group and the wife played a big burly Russian-accented Valkyrie themed war cleric in plate. Coolest female-player-female-PC I've ever seen.

Very similar to my DnD character. Sword Mage who was supposedly given a divine mission from the gods to purge evil. At least that's what the village elder told him after he started showing aptitude for magic.

Shitty roommates. I wouldn't have stood for that kind of bullshit.

>inb4 you don't know what you're talking about
I do. I've had roommates and I have some right now. We all know our respective boundaries.

I had similar when I was running a Fallout PnP. Didn't help that my rolls sucked so hard that the guy who attacked the trading post almost won. He wasn't really upset, just told me that I need to work on balancing the NPC's because they were a little too powerful.

>everyone BUT us 4 survived
Reading comprehension, friend. Still sounds like an interesting game

>That image
Really look at this man's choice of garment
He choose every day to belt a stupid leather collar to his face, which sends his breath back up into his nose.

Regardless of how well you brush your teeth, the inner surface will always smell like spit soaked leather. That and in a fight or any physical activity its gonna get really hard to breathe or get fresh air since all the heat from his body and perspiration is being funneled directly into his face.