MTG Modern General

Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$
This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

Not copying the fucking legacy casual pasta
RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Other urls found in this thread:

scryfall.com/
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpman16/deck-tech-blue-black-brain-jar-peter-vieren-2016-05-29
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpman16/mono-blue-prison-with-martin-muller-2016-05-28
mtggoldfish.com/deck/487613#online
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

MTG MODERN META

that's a pretty fucking lewd card user

Alt lewd art is best art

>Combo
>Dredge
>Infect

When will this meme die?

When you understand the definition of combo

Why is infect considered Combo? It's way more aggro-y. Didn't call Gem-palm goblins combo when it was around.

Infect isn't combo. It has the capacity for quick combination kills with a very high number of permutations and it also has the ability and strength to do its damage in intervals. It just has cheap doublestrike+ creatures and pumps. Its almost definition aggro.

>Storm kills with a very high number of permutations and it also has the ability and strength to do its damage in intervals.
>Storm is aggro
Wew lad

Nice meme friend

How would everyone feel if we defined the archetypes as such?
Aggro: Wants to attack with lots of creatures
Control: Wants to suppress enemy creatures
Combo: Ignores creatures while trying to win

Honestly, "Who's the Beatdown" mostly invalidated the categorization years ago, and the only purpose they serve now is to short hand describe decks to *NEW* players. Anyone invested in modern is probably beyond * needing* these categories, as said player wild be familiar with deck strategies anyway.
You know what Jund is and does, why categorize it? You know what Merfolk is and does, don't need category.
So, the only time to discuss categires is to help a newfriend who wanders in and asks for a control deck. Then use the above criteria.

I'm not the one who puts shit arguments and then say it's a meme when it's demostrated that the argument is invalid and shit

Because people in this thread start sperging it's autism if they can't fit a deck on a box marked with aggro, combo or control. that's the autists way of life

>tron
>control
>infect
>combo
>no midrange category
Shit list

>make a shitty copy paste rebuttal
>say it invalidates my point

no, you posted an epic XDD meme post. My arguments are fine and you haven't invalidated fuck all.

Took this deck to FNM last week, went 4-0.

Sideboard is:
1 x Spellskite
3 x Boros Charm
2 x Ancient Grudge
3 x Rest in Piece
2 X Geist
2 x Stony Silence
2 x Dreadbore

Won 2-0 vs Lantern, stomped the fucker.

Won 2-1 vs Grixis control, turning point in game three was he attempted to damnnation while I had goyf and Anafenza on board, I Boros Charmed in response, Jesus Christ this dude was salty as he sent his Tasigur and Snap to the graveyard.

Won 2-1 vs Jund, this matchup was a coinflip honestly, I do run 2x Geist in Sideboard, one of which he simply couldn't answer game 3. Also, snap in this matchup is god tier.

Won 2-1 against Skred, I though this was an Insta lose but honestly running 4x Decay and 2x pridemage main board, as well as 4 aether vials got there.

All in all, this is one of the funnest decks I've played, it was also funny as hell watching opponents faces as they tried to predict what was coming next. Turns out, when you have access to all 5 colors, it's hard for them to predict and play against.

Gonna play with it again tonight and tomorrow, any funny meme shit I could throw in there?

dredge is a combo deck as simple as it gets....

> Gonna play with it again tonight and tomorrow, any funny meme shit I could throw in there?

Tribal Flames

I initially thought of that as well, but when I re-read the card it does damage based of basic land types, not colors spent to cast. Shame really, could've been great.

Oh true, to be honest I didn't really look closely at the mana base you're running, my bad.

i'd replace the iok with mantis rider

Am I the only one that gets triggered at unmatched cards?

Thought about it, but there are two reasons I don't want Mantis Rider.

1. If a creature dies to bolt, it better generate great value if unanswered or do something when it enters the battlefield, otherwise it better have 4 toughness, unfortunately, mantis rider does neither, and I realized as I played the deck, it feels way more midrangey than aggro.

2. IoK is the only sorcery I have, gotta feed them goyfs man.

I own only two mythic rares
Are they even good?

yes

hey OP

use scryfall.com/ for big scans

Kys

Hit the Jackpot DESU FAMILEE

Yeah
In the format called kitchen table

Tron is control, we've been over this.

wow i am so jelly

Not even same user but storm is completly capable of wining through distinct types of decklists and variations of chains, and it can even win with two storm chains.

question; why did jeskai nahiri disappear?

It was never very good.

SCG sold all their meme cards and has moved on to getting Modern retards to but their next meme deck.

too slow

>Modern
>When Frontier exists

fucking retards.

>Frontier
>zero events in my area

Nigga, please.

Yes because we all want our old cards to be not playable

Then go play Legacy you cuck.

>Legacy players are cucks.
Please explain.

Reading comprehension

Not even him but he's obviously calling you a cuck for playing modern instead of legacy. It's a moot point though if he's retarded enough to like frontier

Why not Thought Scour?

>Modern player
>Can't read

No wonder you're stuck playing a meme format for babies. Too much text on any card that isn't Lightning Bolt.

>No wonder you're stuck playing a meme format for babies.
And what format should I be playing, user shitposter?

Legacy, Pauper, fuck even MemEDH is less retarded than the Modern Jew.

For what purpose? Also, what would you take out for thought scour

>Frontier instead of Highlander

Well... there are no such events in my entire state, except for EDH, which is infested with casual fucktards, so no.

>No Legacy
>No Pauper

Do you live in fucking Arkansas or something?

>Casual fucktards

Bad news kiddo, but if you play Modern you are as casual as they come.

>For what purpose?
Feeds goyf and Snap.

Take out whatever underperformed. Or maybe 1 Bob, 1 Decay, 1 IoK, 1 Path? I dunno. Would have to test it.

>Do you live in fucking Arkansas or something?
Utah.

>Bad news kiddo, but if you play Modern you are as casual as they come.
That doesn't make sense. At all. Modern has GPs. EDH is fucking pointless.

Moon+Chalice+Anger R/W Nahiri clowns easier wins vs creature comboaggro, which makes up 90% of the field, and has about as much game vs midrange as UWR.

>Modern has GPs

How about this?

I went to 3 Modern PPTQs earlier this year and I sure as fuck didn't play any casuals. Then again, I top 8'd two of them.

How has playing EDH gotten you any closer to the pro tour?

>Implying I play EDH
>Implying you're even going to the pro tour

>Implying you're even going to the pro tour
No such implication.

I tried. Casuals don't bother with that shit. And Modern IS a format that can get you there.

If Modern was a casual format, I would never go 4-1 at Modern FNMs.

If Modern was a serious format a retard like you would never win a single game.

>RDW
>it's actually naya burn

I hate this site.

>If Modern was a serious format a retard like you would never win a single game.
So you a pro player or something? Or just a troll?

Could I put Young wolf and Strangleroot geist in a dredge deck with worthwhile results for prized amalgam?

It's bait user, quit feeding him.

Sure. What do you replace? A beats creature? A dredge card? A card that makes your dredge cards dredge?

Because anything you replace will just make the deck less consistent. You'll spend your t1 casting young wolf instead of neonate and you won't dredge. You'll dredge into young wolf instead of literally anything else.

It's retarded. Bloodghast and narco give you all the help you need for amalgams. It won't happen when you want it to. The deck is tier 1 as it is without throwing in stuff nobody plays.

hey guys i just started playing magic and i saw someone recomennded a deck called brain in a jar to start playing as its rather cheap. i saw a few iterations of the deck one being a blue black modern control/destroy deck while the other two were just modern control decks. can anyone point me in the direction of which one i should play?

heres a link to some of the decks if it helps.

magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpman16/deck-tech-blue-black-brain-jar-peter-vieren-2016-05-29

magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpman16/mono-blue-prison-with-martin-muller-2016-05-28

mtggoldfish.com/deck/487613#online

Is there anyway to make an Ally tribal deck work and work well?

Play in a meta where people don't play combo or wrath effects

If they can't work, what makes it so merfolk can?

Infect is a fast combo deck. It combines cheap and powerful pump spells with creatures that only need to deal 10 "damage".

WIthout pump spells infect is slow as shit, so its not an aggro deck. Also the deck barely runs any creatures and no other realistic way of winning.

What mix of old Thalia, Snapcaster and Geist of Saint Traft should I run in UW spirits?

Counterspells and Sea's Claim/Spreading Seas messing with their mana base

Merfolk has Cursecatcher, and still is really only "good" in metas with lots of blue around.

Allies can be ok, especially as a more budget choice.

Yahenni's Expertise seems like a decent 1-off in an Ad Nauseam board
At it's worst it's a worse languish, at it's best it lets you combo off next turn with only 5 mana, on average I assume it's just a wipe with a cantrip. Post board you can get of a Hurkyls if there's anything left, or drop a skite

>brain in a jar
>A slow mediocre control/combo deck that relies on cards in hand in a format filled with jund, aggro, and stony silence

brain sucks. there's really no good cheapish entry level modern deck except for perhaps green stompy

>there's really no good cheapish entry level modern deck except for perhaps green stompy
you're right and it sucks that you're right

Brain would be good if it had flash and allowed you to cast a 2 or less cost instant for free on etb.

Chinamen fakes are the future of the format

modern suks

>Shit fakes played by shit people in a shit format
>literally playing with shit
We Modern now?

>Implying any eternal/nonrotating format is not played with fakes except standard
>Implying standard isn't shit
With your logic all Magic is shit, so i don't know what are you doing here homo

Google autism, its the thing in your head that made up what you thought i wrote and forced you to sperg out

Not all magic is shit, just modern, standard is less this but this is a "competitive" modern thread

The special olympics is also "competitive"

Play a real format like edh or frontier aspie

what makes old krosa cost as much as it does? groundswell seems just as good in most situations.

You're trolling attempts are pathetic and you should really just stop. Nobody cares what you like or think buddy

>i cant disagree with your argument so ill bury my head in the sand
>i dont care what you think but ill take the time to reply... twice (and im predicting a 3rd time)

Meanwhile at this guys house..pic related

it's been printed less than groundswell

Thoughts?

>Passes bolt test with gusto
>Very good against burn, they have to at least 2 for 1 it
>6 point life swing every attack
>rhino

Hey guys I bought a random pack & got this is it worth anything?

It's a good card in a vacuum, but what deck wants it is the problem.

(You)

Thinking UW Control could with a Green splash for Goyf and the likes?

>dies to path
>dies to fucking doomblade

It's shit. Get back to the standardbabies general.

That was an expensive booster pack.

Control would much rather splash red or black as it gives them way more. That's the problem with him. If he cost 1WG instead, he would pop up in value lists everywhere.

Well I got a foil AND a rare, so it was worth it

>finally done with work and back breaking finals
>going to stay in Bay Area over break

IM GONNA GRIND MODERN @ CHANNEL FIREBALL EVERY SINGLE FUCKIN DAY AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU FUCKERS CAN DO TO STOP ME

MARK MY FUCKING WORDS

I admit it. I laughed.

just picked up about 70 of these bad boys for dirt cheap

the new deck i just made BREAKS this card, and might just break the modern meta

get some while you can bros

I'll bite.

Decklist?

Doesn't exist. You shouldn't have bit.

>hurrr modern gay! Play real men game called frontier
This is an argument. I doubt you could even count to sausage