V:TM (revised) thread!

Starting a new Vampire: The Masquerade game for my group, and would like to know which books you would deem "worth it".

(Also I remember a book that described the primogen council and princes of various clans... can't for the LIFE of me remember it's name...)

Anyways, V:TM thread!

Just setting the mood...

>I remember a book that described the primogen council and princes of various clans

Gilded Cage maybe... Could be Children of the Night too. That was pretty much the who's who of the meta-plot heavy hitters. I liked it to read but didn't see much utility as a gaming book.

There was a book for the LARP called Laws of the Elysium about elders that focused on primogen, princes, and other folk of status. It wasn't a roster, more of a how to.

It really depends on how much of the meta-plot you want to engage. And what kind of game you want to run. I wouldn't recommend Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand for a serious, humanity-chasing broodfest but if you want to be superheroes with fangs it's the go-to book.

I like the Sabbat stuff. By 3e there was severe power creep with Blood Brothers, Harbingers, returned Salubri and others of that ilk. I give most of anything after Montreal by Night a pass.

Good "... By Night" books IMO are: Montreal, LA (so-so on the Keui-jin thing, easy to excise), Chicago is a classic, New York, Cairo (that might be garbage and I'm mistaking it for another one). Transylvania and Constantinople are good but they're Dark Ages.

I used to think Vancouver and Berlin were utter shit but upon review they have some merit. Vancouver's characters are stupid but the themes and setting are decent. Berlin is a shitshow that borders on offensive but is pretty hilarious from a certain angle.

Just a friendly reminder that action economy makes the Prince / Primogens a far too easy target for PCs, even at 600+ XP.

Never meet and greet. Have decoys. Use ghouls as messenger, always have an half-dozen of hounds at hand, or face the end of your eternity at the hands of upstart.

Also, never use wizards, werewolves, fey. And if you do, never use stats / powers as described in their respective books. Especially when PCs are vampires, among the least powerful supernaturals.

That movie is nothing short of awesome.

Is there a good conversion of V:TM to GURPS?

Most the issues with, say, mages, happen between mages as well; ie the Virtual Adepts can basically bully anyone, mage or not, who lacks Space forever.

Please keep the game to one thread

>never use wizards, werewolves, fey. And if you do, never use stats / powers as described in their respective books.

Truth

Keep powers in the paradigm of the game that you are running. Re-skin disciplines, don't use power systems of other games. Only heartache and abuse are on that path.

Learn to ignore things you don't like.

OP here.

Sorry! Was looking for something more specific. I'll remember to do this next time.

I feel like, with the kind of games we tend to run, I could have them meet the third gen or Caine himself and we'd still have a fun time.

If werewolves enter play it'll be because they went somewhere they knew they shouldn't go and they'll die, and no one will get butthurt, they'll just laugh, put another char sheet on the wall and make a new character.

I love my game group :)

Also, we're gonna set the game in tulsa, anything I should know about that? Any greater faction play I should think about? Lots of sabbat/wolves or anything north of texas?

VtM
Guide to the Cam
Guide to the Sabbat
Really that's all you need to run Vampire. Guide to the Cam has detailed descriptions of all the Cam offices (Prince, Primogen etc.)

There was a book for 3rd edition, but I wouldn't call it "good conversion".

dont listen to The general is a shit show.

HOW DARE THEY DISCUSS TRADITIONAL GAMES ON Veeky Forums

HOW FUCKING *DARE* THEY

REEEEEEEEEEEE

Nah. Unless you're going around demanding every 40k thread goes into the general, in which case, I commend your bravery and marvel at the amount of free time you must have.

>dat pic

What the fuck, where is this from?

This. Maybe clanbooks, but use them with caution.

Montreal by Night

It's a Sabbat stronghold. The book is pretty extreme. It gets a bit edgy at times but depicting vampires as the inhuman deviants they ought to be will do that.

I agree. I'm just amazed they got the balls to literally depicting them as that, in a picture, instead of limiting themselves to edgy descriptions. Not sure if it's a good or bad surprise.

.... You haven't read Clanbook: Baali, have you?