EDH/Commander General

"Legends had some pretty terrible shit" edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/minders-of-the-multiverse/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-the-double-strike-flying-monk/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grenzo-need-improvement/
youtube.com/watch?v=7tb4xzx9OMk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anyone mind giving me feedback and suggestions on this PoS?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/minders-of-the-multiverse/

I need some recs for BIG FAT artifact creatures

Straight crusher shit like Blightsteel and Wurmcoil

for flavor and function

God damn that's a bad card. I wouldn't even reanimate it.

Rate my instant Loss combo.

Working on making a land creature Child of Alara deck. What are the all time greatest zoo wincons? My meta is multiplayer and mostly pretty turtle-y as a result, so I'll probably need to dish out some serious damage to reach lethal.

What Tiers would you consider your commanders?

Anafenza
>Fun / High-ish tier, not game breaking strong - but can halt and / or finish a game quickly

Nekusar
>Fun / Med Tier; will either bomb hard, or mop up like there was no game at all.

Atraxa
>Comp / High Tier, Superfriends control can blowout easily, infect also but I'm not a cunt.

Sen Triplets
>Comp / High-ish Tier, pillow fort hard enough and control the right people at the right time, and you become a small scale god.

Zada
>Fun / Low Tier, Precursor Golem on a Legendary? Fuck Yes. Let's make some crazy flashy plays that more often then not don't lead to victory.

Jhoira
>Comp / High Tier, winning with a Titan on turn 4 should not be possible. (>Inb4 Maralen players and their turn 3 wins)

Isn't murderous betrayal a suicide combo on its own?

Should I pair it with Ghostly Prison and whatever that blue enchant is?

wut

While propaganda & GP are nice, they don't protect your planeswalkers. Pic related may also be of use.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT IT'S BEEN SO LONG FUCK YOU

I thought attacking creatures had to attack me and then have the damage redirected?

Hahahaha, oh man.

Help me out with my Shu Yun deck, /edh/. I need some more ideas for combos/cards to put in. Should I learn more towards a voltron package or just keep it spell-slingy? Was also trying to keep it flavory by putting mainly jeskai monks in it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-the-double-strike-flying-monk/

>silumgar
>fun/high tier. Has some instant win combos but they take a lot of mana to pull off. Deck is more about fucking around and doing silly things I enjoy than winning. Like when I spend 4 turns in a row sacrificing/reanimating/bouncing/blinking a Mulldrifter. I love Mulldrifter.

>atarka
>fun/low
>combat tricks for 1 hit kills. Deck gets btfo by removal. It's a good laugh watching the table sweat and look at each other for removal when atarka hits the table. Their expressions get funnier when I give atarka infect.

>karametra
>fun/med
>turbo ramp fatties. No combos. Fatties aren't even that good, I've been meaning to buy a craterhoof for ages but I never get around to it. Only rate it med because it can get out of hand quickly and recovers from wraths better than you might expect

>teferi
>comp/high
>no fun allowed

no sir, that's how non-combat damage works

During declare attackers, the active player chooses whether to attack a player or a planeswalker that player controls.

If you at any point receive non-combat damage (lightning bolt for instance). The controller of that damage's source decides whether or not to have it hit your Life or be redirected to one of your planeswalkers.

Common confusion, if somebody wants to deal direct damage to a planeswalker, but only has spells like lightning bolt that target creatures or players, THEN they target you and redirect the damage

Combat is different though, you can choose to attack planeswalkers instead of players, ghostly prison and propaganda will not tax those attacks

Well fuck. I need to find someway of either pillow forting or running interference for my PWs.

here's a start

Probably want something tokens and planeswalkers that make tokens, so you can block

Also you can use tokens with something like opposition or glare of subdual to tap down attackers pretty effectively

Atraxa herself is a breddy gud deterrent to hitting you.

Atraxa is literally only used by retards.

Everything I have built is fun-tier, except Ghave who is mid-tier

I really should go balls-deep on making that deck fucking ruthless

while I may agree with you, that's not in the scope of this particular discussion

Sphere of Safety and Martial Law, maybe

Have you tried running removal in your deck?

Because maybe that would ease up your bitch of an attitude.

Moat
:^)

>atraxa is used by idiots and retards who don't know how commander works
>hur dur why don't you just run more removal ;^)
shut the fuck up you cum-guzzling retard

A poor fisherman is the fisherman with an overfished pond.

yeah legends had some Jank stuff, but
without legends, we wouldn't have this sick combo. There really are some gems in there

Has anyone tried building vial smasher with no partner? curious to see how it works before doing it myself

Should I do creatureless Lazav?

no reason to not add blue imo

I find the izzet partners to be pretty shit and I dont want to run grixis artifacts/combo. I know its not very reasonable but there it is

Got some new cards for Ghave this week, almost ready to start playing & refining the list

>I don't like the color identity cards function despite never having to use it
>I also don't want to run grixis combos and artifacts despite that not being necessary either

you're a retard

Mostly looking forward to:
Sidisi - can fetch Mikaeus, Unhallowed in order to sac Sadisi & start a tutor loop with Ghave
Boonweaver - can be searched up with Pattern of Rebirth, bring it back from the grave, sac'd to get Karmic Guide which is then sac'd to get Boonweaver which brings back Pattern, then sac'd to get Reveillark & start a sac loop with Karmic Guide

>people use decks that don't compliment their commander

You're the special kind of stupid here

Does anyone else have problems with cheating at their lgs?
I went to mine for commander the first time this week and ran into a guy who I used to play with at a friends house, where he was known for cheating. So we always gave him shit and shuffled his deck for him, he didn't consistently(or even at all if I remember right) win games.
But at my lgs I came to find he was known for winning commander night very regularly and as fast as turn 3 REGULARLY.... I got placved in a different pod but that night he won on the 3rd turn. So after that Everytime he was out of earshot I told people they needed to shuffle his deck for him every game. WE continued to play casual games the rest of the night and he didn't win a single one...

I'm not even sure if hes going to show up next week after that.

I run him as one of 99 in my grenzo deck.. and he performs WELL

Well fuck I was hoping I could just do smasher but grenzo is cheap enough, got a list?

its probably 60% power gimme 10 minutes and I'll post it

Last time i went, i had no problems with cheating. One of my friends cheated every once in a while as a joke just to make another friends sperg out. Cheating is not worth doing, especially when you're playing with friends or people you know to have a good time.
>he
Vial smasher is a she

you sure showed that guy

>Vial Smasher is a she
How dare you presume Vial Smashers' gender, shitlord.

>Cheating is not worth doing, especially when you're playing with friends or people you know to have a good time

Blog post incoming, there was this faggot in my group, military engineer or some shit that only had 1 commander, daretti. Every time we would play he would seperate his deck into a specific even piles and afterwards would shuffle his deck in a very specific way and refuse to let anyone cut for any reason. If someone ended up cutting him he would refuse to play until he redid the same process over until nobody would cut him. From what I understand he was genuinely upset that nobody in our group liked his antics and was upset that if he ever got re-stationed out here PCS to Okinawa we wouldn't let him back into the group

Yeah that's not cool. If someone does something fishy when they shuffle you cut their deck or re-shuffle like any other game. It's not going to be fun if people are cheating, might as well play Mental Magic.

I'll add the lands later, but its got room for more spells definitely. One of my weakest deck but still enough to win games if my group doesn't kill me first

>Obviously trying to cheat and complaining when getting caught

Yeah no the guy I played wiht never said anything about and I never caught him shuffling weird but after a few games he played sol ring first turn repeatedly we offered to shuffle his deck every game..

I'm kind of surprised but EVERY single time we played it seemed like he tried cuz we would forget as a group sometimes and his early game would be ridiculous every time we forgot to shuffle his deck.

Captcha: pick sushi (I wanna go to okinawa)

>when you forget the link
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grenzo-need-improvement/
Might be sleep time

How YOU DARE to deny the right for vial smasher to use she

what's the secret best card in the format?

>Sharuum
I can win on turns 1 through 4 with multiple hands. Decks like Jhoira, Meren, and Atraxa are not relevant at this kind of table. I've lost very few tables with this deck - and it's not a typical build.

>Thraximundar combo-control, Ghave combo-control, Kaalia aggro-combo, Riku combo-control

High-tier. Can go toe-to-toe with most decks. Can combo out of nowhere to win the table. Jhoira and tuned Meren are common matchups for these decks in my meta(s).

> Shirei Stax, Dralnu Storm, Slobad Stax-Control, Horde of Notions tribal-control

Can win. I've won at a table of Kaalia, Scion, Memnarch, Meren with Shirei combo-stax with some purely redundant setups.

> Experiment Kraj combo, Darien jank-theme

Neither of these decks is very good but they are thematic, fun, and colorful to play. Easily stopped with wipes or any sort of removal.

almost hit it on the nose I'd say

>maybe a close second?

Well, I don't know about secret, but...
>not secret
Ad Nauseam

The guy was always a shit. He would purposefully fuck with everyone and hated how everyone would gang up on him, also after every protour he would show up with a "brand new totally made it myself guys" deck that would be exactly like the one that won the protour except all of his cards were the lazy kind of fakes, not counting the basic lands

Selfless spirit on board, as well as the new avacyn. one of my creatures dies, triggering avacyn. can i then sac my selfless spirit to make all my dudes indestructible, while still doing three damage to everyone elses' creatures or does the stack not work that way?

Have you got a list for Ghave? Building it atm & after talking to some of the guys at the LGS I'd like to include more control elements

>Kokusho
Mid-tier, scaling up to high with more players. I've had huge games go from horrible to managable by killing Kokusho once.

>Hanna
Mid/Fun tier. Still haven't managed to pull off Show and Tell + Omniscience, but Enduring Ideal is hilarious.

>Kozilek (Butcher)
High tier, aims to bring Kozilek down stupid fast, and even if he gets removed, I just keep re-casting him and getting value. Power level is roughly on par with my buddy's Narset deck from what I've seen.

>Yidris
Still-mostly-a-precon tier. Really need to work out what I want to do with him.

Yes. Congrats, you are playing Blue White Flash.

You fucking kike.

Ive pulled multiples of both out of just cracking packs, and my brother runs mill. If ive got to shit my way into a win im going to do it.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, one of my most used commander decks is OG bolas.

: ^)

>yidris
I really like my voltron double strike build and cascade into combos

no list, sorry

Yeah, I've been thinking voltron is probably the route I'm gonna go.

Get some double strike, pack some extra combat step spells to cast/cascade into, and get the cascades really flowing.

Building my first edh deck, is Rhys as fun as it looks?

Just play Krenko my friend. But nah Rhys is pretty fun as far as tokens go, definitely run freyalise planeswalker and tons of overrun effects. I've had a lot of really janky wins by using Yeva Nature's Herald too.

Yeah I was thinking of playing him but I already had a cradle and the tutors and stuff from when my neighbor died and left me his cards. He'd been playing since revised and elves were his favorite creature type so I figured it would be appropriate to build Rhys in his memory. Also I love tokens and doubling shit.

If you havent already picked it up, either buy the freyalise precon, or look through the decklist for good ideas. in my eyes its worth the buy regardless, but you may already own a lot of the key pieces. It has a very strong elf theme, and a lot of them would help a rhys deck tremendously.

I'll be sure to check that out, thanks!

I'm not getting it.
Am I being flabbergasted?

No problem. Also if money is a problem, some cheaper but solid includes, in my opinion, living hive(more token, albeit not elves), elder druid (for untapping rhys or any other engine),grove of the guardian (for bigstuffs in a jam) Biomass Mutation (killpower) Loxodon hierarch for anti-sweeps, Wayfaring temple, for a very "tokens matter" feel. But really Im not super good at commander, and those are pretty mediocre options. Very affordable though.

It's the Loss comic from CAD

FUCK, IT'S SO CLEAR NOW.

>Sharuum
>Win on turn 1
What?

Okay I think it's Mox Opal, dark ritual, mana crypt, tundra, sculpting steel, blood artist, lion's eye diamond, top deck sol ring

Play lions eye diamond, mana crypt, Mox Opal, and land for free, tap Mox Opal for dark ritual, 3 black mana floating

Tap mana crypt cast sol ring, 1 colorless floating

Tap tundra for 1 blue floating

Cast blood artist, 1 black floating

Crack lion's eye diamond 3 white floating, discarding sculpting steel

Cast sharuum, 0 mana floating

Okay, so how do you win on Turn 1?

You just burnt through your hand to summon your commander first turn;

Congratulations.

You ever actually pulled that off?

The rest of the combo involves Sculpting Steel returning off Sharuum's trigger, copying Sharuum, killing the original through legend rule (triggering Blood Artist) then returning it to the battlefield from the copy Sharuum's trigger, repeat until everyone dies

My bad I forgot to say you use be extra black for blood artist before you do the lion's eye diamond

My apologies

No I don't own anything in the price range of LED

But I've seen my friends storm deck do something similar on turn 1

id dont get it.
What is this ?

I got a shattergang list brewing up that looks promising. What are some repeatedly killable artifacts that work similar to glistening oil or aspect of the mongoose or tenacious dead?

I dont get шeю What did he lost?

In the spirit of the holidays, let's see those crazy ass Magical Christmas Land god-hands you're packing in your decks but will probably never see once. Bonus points if you have though.

I'll start.

>Commander: Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
>Opening Hand: Darksteel Citadel, Mana Crypt, Mox Opal, Sol Ring, Thran Dynamo, Krark-Clan Ironworks, Lightning Greaves

>play Citadel, Crypt, and Opal
>tap Citadel for Sol Ring
>tap Ring and Crypt for Thran Dynamo
>tap Opal and Dynamo, Krark-Clan Ironworks
>sac entire board to Ironworks, 12 mana floating
>cast Kozilek, 2 mana floating
>cast Lightning Greaves and equip
>mfw

miscarriage

I'm at a loss for words

Who's got spicy tech for Sidisi, Brood Tyrant?

yes, every day until you like it

you sound like someone who would play eldrazi.

youtube.com/watch?v=7tb4xzx9OMk

I fucked up, this was for

Land+Mana crypt+trinisphere
Workshop+trinisphere
Mana vault+land+trinisphere
Workshop+mana crypt+sol ring+mana vault+lodestone golem+trinisphere
Workshop+mana crypt+sol ring+mana vault+grim monolith+trinisphere+lodestone golem

Something unfair happens t1 quite consistently.

Is this motherfucker fun as a voltron/pillowfort hybrid?

Hey guys, check out my spicy anti-aggro tech

>that on a Blightsteel
>mfw