/wip/ - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

What's Santa bringing for (you) in his sack?

Finally Removing thes Edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Painting music
Dynatron - Pulse Power
youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1-qLbHHCM

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

wizkids.com/dnd-unpainted/
youtu.be/PJaW_rQIS_s?t=7m19s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(plant)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reposting from last thread:

user from Pontevedra in Spain; your gift is at your local post office since Wednesday and waits for you to pick it up. I don't know how long they will keep it there for you so i recommend you go there next week.

Sometimes, people ask for a guide on painting white armour.

And sometimes for one about Black Armour.

Who comfy painter here?

>christmas tree + decoration lights on
>christmas tunes playing
>cat asleep in heated catbox on desk
>mug of tea

Feels good man

Whats a blue space marine chapter thats cool and not Ultrasmalldicks.

I'm sorry user, but when you mentioned the cat being in their own box I could only think of pic related.

Also has the user in Bordeaux had any news of their SS package? I have no tracking on it and I'm a little worried now.

Just made this guy, an Ordos Malleus Terminator Inquisitior. I used Deathwatch, Deathwing, GK, and venerable dreadnought bits to throw it all together. Had the idea for a while but just got around to doing it.

And here's the back of the model

Pretty dope, user. I dont like SM models much but that one is dope

Posted these before, but some battlefleet gothic I'm working on!

Night lords battle barge. Prow mounted plasma destructor.

Some will-be grand cruisers

Repost from last night, finishing up my 4 Kroot hounds while i come up with color scheme. Also did a cultist for fun

Sitting in new comfy chair, tea, livestream, Skitarii Rangers and radio. Nice.

No cat though, the one that used to live in my house stayed with the house when we moved. I go visit occasionally, she's always happy to see me.

Ordered the first of my Lord of War units today, a Knight Warden to finish my WarConvo. That will be a challenge, still quite new to painting.

Diggin those colors.

So i am needing some advice. I wanted to build an alpha legion deamon prince armed woith the Hydra Blade. I was thinking of the following

>Base plastic deamon prince
>giant demonic chainsword
>mask of some kind

Do you guys have an idea of what i could use for the last two components?

How about the head from one of the Dark Eldar flesh abomination things, I don't know their names, but they're the smooth featureless face masks. Kinda goes with the AL schtick

Yeah, was thinking maybe one of the heads, from the Talos?as you said, would work with the annoyminty thing
My main problem is the chainsword, are there any good bases that i could maybe attemt to green stuff from?

Maybe if you can find a cheap "Devotee Malicant" from the 54mm Inquisitor range

hey french user, sweden-user here, I got your package! here's your (you)

now what am I supposed to do with the stormtroopers

She looks great, but i can only find her for about 30 quid. jesus

You could build some sisters

do you prefer painting a more realistic look or a more cartoony look with brighter colors?

Thanks, cant see the green tongue in any of the pics i took.

Nice, those are pretty fucking rad. But im also a dirty imperialist fascist so my taste is weird.

If BFG does come back I'll start that Tau Space Station I've been planning.
here's hoping

Now learn to make molds and become rich selling copies on the internet

Alpha Legion

>"purity seal has improved it's actually good now bro" t. internet reviews and forum posters
>spray several squads of infantry
>hey this is turning out alright
>next day, same exact temperature as yesterday, shook the can for 2 minutes as instructed
>ruins two character models that took me forever to model and paint

holy FUCK this is some bullshit

if you got the frosted effect there are videos on yt how to fix it

Anyone here got guides on painting forge world stuff? Been thinking of getting into 30K for the mechanicus, but I don't know if I want to just go the muted red I see everywhere.

On another note, the Dragon+ magazine released today revealed these:

wizkids.com/dnd-unpainted/

Primed, preassembled mini's from wizkids for D&D. Anyone have experience with the company? If the sculpts look like the renders, these should be nice.

Is that a Bretonnian shoulder pad on the front of that foreground ship?

Reposting, tried weathering. How'd I do?

My first squad, I can't get the hang of proper highlighting.

Can someone give me advice on how to improve?

I think the lighting is making it hard to see, but I like what I can see on the dozer blade. I would try adding some to the tracks as well though, unless you dislike muddy tank treads for some reason.

No cat, but all month I've been learning how to paint while drinking tea, in a recliner while being a comfy blanket caterpillar. That being said this is my first attempt at skin and a non crimson fist marine hopefully it's not too awful Yes i will be painting over the nipple ring in bronze or something and the forarm needs some shading

if you can get away with the angle the best way to highlight is to have your brush hit the edge sideways, this way you won't be pressing down on the area and having wide lines.

Did the visor sorta right I think

Fug, I thought they fixed this weird issue with phone pics

Nice skin-tones user.

I like the overall effect, but I think it would be better without the Venerable Dread shinpads.

Your paint needs to be thinner to go on as a small highlight properly, they're quite wide on the model for this reason.

I'd recommend you follow Duncan's style and actually feather the highlighting onto their carapaces, but if not then what says would help you: bring the side of the brush onto the edge and move sideways instead of using the brush like a pen or pencil.

youtu.be/PJaW_rQIS_s?t=7m19s If you start the video at that time Duncan is demonstrating this technique on the tail, and shortly after he demonstrates it on the carapace.

All that said, if you actually paint your entire army to that standard it will look miles better than many of the armies people regularly came with. Be proud, but work to improve.

Painted my Lord during the Warhamer TV stream. Some cool games.

Thanks, I was afraid that i was going to botch it big time but I'm over all pretty happy with it. Anyone have any tips for warpaint? Do i just slap a coat on and call it good?

Did you change grey recipe between his hair, armour and wolf? They're all very similar.

Cool claw, Is that chaos?

Warpaint and tattoos can be hard, if you use the colour you're trying to represent being warpaint it won't look like paint on the character, it will look like paint on the miniature (hard to explain, but I hope you get it?)

Try some miniature painting tattoo tutorials, the main lesson is to mix in some fleshtones to the colours you're trying to tattoo / paint on.

Looks like it's from a Warp Talon.

Your gold would look better with silver extreme highlights

No i totally get what you mean which is why I don't want to just slap it on without asking haha

I'm so hyped for painting this beautiful bastard. Love me some Bretonnians.

Sorry for lack of backdrop.

Forgot to ask. Any recommendations for Heraldry?

armor is mechanicus standard with dawnstone highlight.
pelt is dawnstone with agrax wash and administratum highlight.
beard is black with dawnstone highlight.

You already got that iris on his helmet and lance

that what sorry?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(plant)

That flower icon.

Oh yeah, sorry i'm not good on flowers.

Going to paint them some nice Strong gold

thanks for the advice.

i actually tried to feather at the beginning/the first minis, but somehow it turned out weird.
i guess the brush was too thick, im going to buy a smaller one.

So that dawnstone shared component makes the greys really very similar:
Assuming that your army's armour is all mechanicum / dawnstone, I'd have tried to find a more neutral grey for the hair

I'd have recommended finding a neutral grey for the hair, and assuming that your army is already mechanicum / dawnstone I'd look for a large shift in value to contrast the pelt. The studio scheme uses the blue-greys on the armour to contrast with more brown tones of grey elsewhere.

Some snow on the base would also help him stand out from it.

What brush are you using? A GW one or something else?

I get your point and artistically you are very right and I fully agree!

But these are my dudes. obviously can't be a successor, but more like a lost segment of a company. they are from a forest / mountainous covered planet, so mud and rocks on the base with no snow. i do add static grass in little matches like little moss patches or tufts of grass. the pelts are purposely similar to the armor as they are colouring their armor like the local fawna as a a shamanistic thing as well as slightly tactical thing.

i know red and gold on my hq and elites blows any camo ideas out the water, but it works for the normal troops etc. which are light grey shoulders and white trims.

Slow progress.

Negative it's a trimmed down old wahammer elf shield

In that case I wish you luck with Your Dudes, but you can stay in the same scheme while pushing your value contrasts further. Obviously it's somewhat unfair to grab your paintjob and stick it next to a studio painter, but it's just intended to illustrate what a difference it can make.

I'm glad you went with the good head option

I'll stop posting these soon as it's getting repetitive.

Exalted Sorcerer 3/3/

Not finished, need to highlight, glaze, (and just paint unfinished things)

I just primed his disk of Tzeentch.

There's just no way that we can thin

That was a masterpiece

He paints so hard because he faps with his painting hand

>implying mono-eye isn't the good head option

Love your gems. Are the alternating blue bands going to stay like that?

So what big projects do you guys have going on?

I just finished up packing up almost all of my wargaming stuff for storage and been pretty down today. Convince me that the hobby will keep going even after my time.

Currently working on roughly 7 D&D minis. 4 of them are the way of 4 elements masters, the last 3 are random characters I want to paint up. It's not a HUGE project but I've been in a painting funk for a long time and I'm pretty motivated to get them done.

Currently painting up 30 noise marines, a squad of 30k destroyers and some bikes + kitbash lucius the eternal. All with marble bases and experimenting with OSL kill me plz

Started my painting marathon to get the Adeptus Mechanicus ready for games after Xmas and also to work through my backlog before more toys arrive for Christmas presents.

I have to paint:

- 5 Skitarii Rangers
- 5 Sicarian Infiltrators
- 5 Sicarian Ruststalkers
- 2 Dragoons
- 2 Kastelans and Datasmith
- 6 Kataphrons
- 10 Inquisition Acolytes
- 3 Wyrdvane Psykers (My first metal models)
- Chimera

Going to be a trial to get a good chunk of this done by Christmas.

Thanks!

They're not finished but I'm in two minds to alternate Yellow or not, haven't decided, may just go with Dark Blue light blue

Here are his Partners in crime from the previous thread. Poor photography I know, my bad.

I'd go with an accent colour in there, but without yellow elsewhere... I almost wonder what they'd look like in that red/purple? It would bring that colour up into the top half of the mini, which would be nice.

i use brushes bought at an artist's store. they werent expensive though, maybe like 3 dollar per brush

Well not the best, but you can still do decent work with those. I still use art store synthetics for metallics because I feel less bad about ruining them.

Black legion paint scheme, but with one pauldron in god-specific color. The question is: WHICH pauldron?

Last 2 hounds done. Now time for Gue'vesa and drones!

The one you like.. its Chaos after all.

left one

>The question is: WHICH pauldron?
in most cases? the right pauldron

left pauldron is typically for legion colours (This is why kharn's arm was bare, originally. He tore off his legion pad when he betrayed them all at... skalawhetever), though obviously chaos is going to be a lot less consistent about it than the imperials

did somebody say hours of blending?
I swear I heard somebody say hours of blending

good luck, and may the Omnissiah bless your toils

I could totally fap to this, well fucking done.

Well... fuck... So the most lore-friendly option is the right pauldron?

No huge limp daemon dick
1/10

mah nigga

Looks pretty good so far user. Nice clean look

It reminds me of the D every time

your golds in particular look dusty, whats going on there

yes, but chaos is also not exactly going to give a fuck about uniform regulations

do what you want, dude

Thanks, and He has already blessed me, since I finally worked out how to thin Mephiston Red to an acceptable level (Still quite new to this painting business, first squad of Vanguard were not TOO bad but could use some THIN YOUR PAINTS) and I pulled off my first edge highlights on the Rangers. Yes, I know my backlog is a bit insane for a scrub at painting but I found assembling them way more fun.

How do you prefer to paint? Doing one mini in full, or doing say, the robes on all of them, then the cybernetics, then the guns ect.

Yea, I know, but I also know myself well enough to know, that if I don't justify my decision well enough my autism will fire off in some time and make me regret it

well, the obvious justification would be the marines in question have more loyalty for their patron than their legion

>all is dust

I think that's the finish from the gold spray he's using.

thanks user, still a ways to go but I'm really happy with the results

Visor is great. And yeah its some shit with Veeky Forums. I've posted the same picture multiple places and only Veeky Forums rotates retardedly.