Monhun campaign character concepts

So, my DM is running a monster hunter type campaign in 3.5. My original idea (using a huge greatsword) was shot down by so many semantic details that i said fuck it.

We are using core, complete (minus psionics) miniatures, and UA.

So with those limitations, What kinda character concepts would you make? And i mean without powergaming to all shit. Interesting over powergaming.

SnS with oils, DB (but only if you have no more than one fight a day) or Bow (Heavy Shot only, no Arc Shots).
Everything else gets fucked by the system.

What's the point of using 3.5 for monhun if you're not going to abuse the fuck out of Monkey Grip for maximum greatsword?

What's the point of even using 3.5 for monster hunter at all? The system doesn't accommodate anything seen in the games or lore.

>What's the point of using 3.5 for monhun
There is no point. It's just sheer laziness/misdirected effort.

the SnS is interesting. I'm not sure how many fights we'll have a day though. And i don't plan to use bow because we already have a ranger.

I tried man. I tried. I tried to get powerful build, but nothing but half-giant gives it in those books, reliably. i tried to stack monkey grip, and apparently that doesn't stack, or so Veeky Forums tells me.

Not to mention, i was willing to lose the psionics wholesale to drop the LA, but he's an idiot and thinks powerful build is that OP.

Its the only system most of us know, honestly. Admittedly it is lazy, but no one wants to learn an entire system, and he's a fairly new DM.

>game based on a series
>can't actually play it like the series right from the start
Abandon game

Fun fact: There are several systems out there that are infinitely better for MH than 3.5 (and infinitely better than the dumpster fire that is 3.5 period), take a tiny fraction of the time and effort to learn, and are much easier to GM to boot.

While i agree with this, i can't even get one of these idiots to agree that evasion breaks the laws of reality, yet they argue that mundane people can't wield a giant sword because reasons.

this is certainly an uphill battle, and one i'm losing. I may just drop out because of how fucking limited its getting, not to mention how ass backwards their thinking is.

But i'm still gonna try to make a character, at least.

I have several points to make here:

1. PCs in MH are not mundane people.
2. PCs in 3.5 are not mundane people.
3. MH does not model reality.
4. 3.5 does not model reality.
5. You're trying to play martial characters in a system that is designed to fuck over martial characters.

Drop it now, drop it hard.

How about examples?

And he won't even allow the one book that would allow martials to even mildly work against casters, ToB.

Not OP, but do you have any advice for another system?

And the kicker? he allowed a goblin outrider instead of a halfling one, but wouldn't let me take survivalist over fighter because he wouldn't even fucking read it. Literally just slightly different skills and no heavy armor, and he denied that, but he was totally willing to homerule a goblin outrider.

The bar isn't very high here, so just to name a few...

GURPS, Fate, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Legend (RoC), Fantasy Craft, Risus, Last Stand and there's probably some PtbA hack for it already.

I'm with all the way. Anybody who spends 3 consecutive seconds thinking about the MH lore realizes that the Hunters aren't your random slobs.

Anybody spening longer time notices post-apocalyptic background details and start jumping on the theory that monsters a engineered weapons and hunters genetical improved super soldiers (their ancestors to be exact)

Well as far as better systems go. Mongoose Traveller 1e is pretty elegant as far as rules go., although the editing is messy at some parts.
For cinematic & strategic combat you might want to check out runequest 6 or Mythras as it's called today. More crunchy than Traveller but should work quite well with minor adjustments.

recommending rules light systems to emulate an video game that places high value to different values, attributes and synergy.

I'm not telling you that you can't have your emulated mountain bike experience with a unicycle just because you like the feeling of it.
But this still seems like a bad idea and should be handled with the greatest possible care.

Add cypher system to the list. Numenera, the generic version and the exalted-like ones in particular.

daily reminder that "rules light" usually means that the writers themselves think they did the least amount of work possible to justify their book as "System".

Never heard of any game that advertises itself as "rules heavy" on the other hand.

yeah, thats because the ones that are are called rules bloated

Well, it seems like a bad idea because trying to emulate the gameplay of Monster Hunter on the tabletop is an inherently bad idea.
MH as a video game does not place a high value on numbers and attributes. It focuses on execution, rhythm, pattern recognition. These gameplay elements just do not translate well.
If anything, you would have to make a conceptual translation of MH to the tabletop. And rules-light systems are not excluded from that.

And besides, the criterion was not "systems good for MH", of which there are none to my knowledge, but "systems better for MH than 3.5", which is most of them.

>Anybody spening longer time notices post-apocalyptic background details and start jumping on the theory that monsters a engineered weapons and hunters genetical improved super soldiers (their ancestors to be exact)
What a terrible idea.

Well there is also the more "reasonable" approach, that an "ancient civilization" build some large superstructures, with now unknown use (like, where do you think all those gigantic tower ruins full with elder dragons come from ?). But they sort of made dragons and wyverns their mortal enemy and got wiped out.

okay
>"systems better for MH than 3.5"
is not a qualification around here, that's like asking for an better alternative for sponges as weapons.