What makes 40k Orks very popular, Veeky Forums?

What makes 40k Orks very popular, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Orks
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They are fun to crush.

The fact that they're *ahem* Orksome

They're meatheads who get really fired up for violence and have a great time doing just about everything. They're kinda like the warboys in Fury Road, it's just easy to get excited with them.

they're so exaggerated, and everything about them is about having fun and enjoying themselves that it's hard not to like them even if you don't play them

and the fact they're so easy to win against

Good natured violence

It's the 'why even have orks' guy, still making threads a week later. Man pick a different argument already.

konversions

when i chose my first army, i read through all the codex's,and in the orks, the burna boyz liked to make people do the 'burny dance' that is what sealed it for me

Beautiful

Orks have literally the best fluff in all of 40k it's equally awesome, engaging and funny. I used to sell 40k miniatures at a tabletop store and orks sold fairly well; they're especially amongst people just getting into 40k and the tabletop and who want to have fun

And then Tau and SM players shit on them.

Meant to write especially popular

They were FUN. But now 40k is NO FUN ALLOWED, so they get fucked to the point they join Sisters in Schodringers box. And with big changes in lore with comeback of primarchs, they gonna get fucked and fall out of focus.

When Ecclesiarchy and other elements of opressive and obviously evil nature of lie cladden Imperium are put to rest at the same time (GK being ok with SW mutants are obviously first step in that direction), nothing will remain to break your immersion when you will touch yourself thiking of perfect edgy atheistic facist utopia with armor clad manchildish ubermenshen.

You all know I'm right. They were making Imperium succesivly more and more okay and setting more and more ,,for realz".

There is no place for fun. Most Ork players will not come back after 7th ed. fucked them so hard. And Gee Dubs won't miss them, because dozen space marines will take place of each one.

2 things:
-They are not (all) technologically primitive savages
-They are not (all) edgy/misunderstood serious business

The best way to describe why orkz are successful as a concept is, quite easily, underlining that they are, in fact, cunningly brutal and brutally cunning

>cunningly brutal and brutally cunning
>brutal kunnin' and kunnin' brutal
Get it roight ya git!

>pic related
Only answer you're ever going to need

This and the potential for fun flavoring and good conversions.

>with comeback of primarchs
For real?

i dont get their lore, if they are stupid as fuck how do they create 'advanced weaponry' and travel planets?

meme magic

Orks are by far the smartest race. They're just too busy WAAAAAGHing to publish many academic papers.

They're not necessarily stupid (in fact, they can be very clever) but they simply don't care about much beyond fighting, drinking and eating
Also, their knack for technology is literally in their genes. It makes more sense when you understand they were made as a bioweapon
Also also, innate psychic field that gets stronger the more orcs there are and the more excited they are

They're neither noble savages, nor generic evil monstrous race.

Bad rules

Abaddon's apparently going to hit it big this time and do something.

Meanwhile,

>Eldar are collectively dying from blood loss
>Orks are busy with Nids
>Nids are busy with Orks
>Tau are pretty much specks in the grand fight
>Necrons are doing fuck all outside of waking up
>DEldar are about to literally implode in Comorragh, killing them harder than CEldar

It's just going to be another rousing bout of "SPEHSS MEHREENS fighting POINTY SPEHSS MEHREENS", but this time with some shinier characters getting new models.

Orks are a bio weapon designed by the old ones. Their technology is encoded within their DNA but must be brought out by their warp presence. Once enough boys get together it becomes possible for them to do things they werent able to do before.

They're one of two factions that are actually enjoying themselves. It's refreshing.

Orks are the best psykers in the galaxy, no question. If they think something's a gun that shoots bullets, it's a gun that shoots bullets.

What makes orks so popular?

Ironically they are basically Mankind incarnate.

Countless in number. They don't care about the laws of physics or other races telling them what they can and can't do. They just do it because they want to. Sometimes it makes a loud boom and they like that. Or it means a new discovery, they like that too. Whats funny is the most Orky thing is by far the most human thing. the WAAAGH. If the orks all join together in a single purpose, then nothing can stop them. Nothing can waiver their beleifes. If they beleive they can do ot, they will. If they want it to work. They will find a way. They are stubborn and foolish. They will kill themselves in great numbers just to do it too.

They will all follow a strong or charismatic leader who they adore and hate at the same time. Then they will do their own thing and follow their own wants if the leader isn't present. Orks just do what orks do best. be orks. Make things that shouldn't work. Strap bigger things on it if it didn't work the first time. Everyone else can't understand them, but they don't care. They are happy being themselves.

In all things they are a mirror to humanity itself. Humanity that won the great conflict in the universe.

original design
competent design
easily recognizable design
funny accents

Their only hangup is garbage rules. Conceptually and visually GW's orc/ks are excellent. Which is why people have been copying them for so long.

>Look Mum I posted it again!

>orc
>GW
No such thing

Pretty sure WHFB has orcs

he's just pretending to be retarded

same image every time

They treat everyone equally.

Thats true the warp runs on emotions and memes.

You mean orruks, but it's totally new and original race.
Can you show me "orcs" on GW website?

They're like niggers, only productive.

WHFB greenskins are spelled 'orc.' These are the ones Blizzard plagiarized for Warcraft.

Fantasy Battles and Age of Sigmar are separate entities legally. So yes, your pretending to be retarded didn't work

They aren't stupid. They are autistic.

Meme magic, basically.

Not bullshitting. If they believe it and enough of them believe it, it happens.

Eg: Ork guns work with Orks because "Waagh Orks" but if a human picks their guns up they might find them useless.

Also, making stuff is in their DNA. Mekboyz just "know" shit but probably couldn't tell you how they know, they just "get it".

>Not bullshitting. If they believe it and enough of them believe it, it happens.
Yes you are bullshitting. So please stop and learn the actual lore.

nobody can waaagh better.

No, he's not. Orks psychic field changes reality in accordance with Ork beliefs. It isn't powerful enough to just outright fuck physics in the ass [without Weirdboyz that is], but the WAAAAAGH psychic field is canon, and Orks have shot guns without bullets in them and made starships keep going after running out of fuel just because nobody bothered to check the gauge.

Deal with it ya git.

That is actual lore though.
Orks believe that red things go faster. Red things do go faster than non red things.

They won't be able to make sticks shoot like guns even if there was a billion of them on top of each other. But Waagh! does sorta... smoothen out whatever problems the mechanism might have

I do know the lore, numbnuts.

*You* go know the lore.

It's not bullshit orks can run off cartoon physics one stole a plane with no gas in it and it only crashed after he looked and saw the gas tank was empty.

you're like a nazi but pathetic.

It's not *that* powerful.
If they have something like a basic gun, they can make it work by believing it. The more of them there are, the better it gets but it has it's limits.

They're not going to alter the laws of physics, you need godlike (or near godlike, depending on where you are) power for that.

Orks consistently shit on the grimdark tone of 40k while being more relevant than 90% of the edgy meme armies. They're the lowest-ranked professional Boxer who keeps small-time armies like Deldar in the amateur league with Chaos Daemons, Dark Mechanicus and Genestealer Cults.

They're unironically the most deserving race to control the galaxy. They weren't the ones that spawned a bunch of evil Gods. They weren't created by a race of fat floating lizards. They're 100% Milky Way native, homegrown patriots.

They are in fact so good that GW had to write an entire story about how the Zerg are more powerful than them and therefore better and more interesting (in the eyes of GW authors and Zerg players).

> Orks psychic field changes reality in accordance with Ork beliefs.
In fluff its more like it levels up their luck stat. If an ork puts some bullets in a pipe it doesnt turn into a gun. If and Ork gets a gun from a mek boy the weapon is unlikely to jam in his hands, however a guardsman picking it up is likely to find that eventually the weapon will falter and need fixing.

Ork technology is actaully ahead of the curve in some areas and it all works by itself. The Waaagh field just helps things move togther properly. Think of it more as a lubricant then what the technology needs to function.

>Red things do go faster than non red things.
Red things go faster because the Orks meks put more time into vehicles with red paint.

>If an ork puts some bullets in a pipe it doesnt turn into a gun. If and Ork gets a gun from a mek boy the weapon is unlikely to jam in his hands, however a guardsman picking it up is likely to find that eventually the weapon will falter and need fixing.

So basically exactly what you've been told.
Well done.

>> They weren't created by a race of fat floating lizards.

I (and established fluff) beg to differ. warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Orks
Prehistory
The Orks are a biologically-engineered species, created more than 60 million Terran years ago as a warrior race originally called the Krork by the long-vanished reptilian alien species known as the Old Ones, whom the Orks refer to as the Brain Boyz. The Orks were created by the Brain Boyz to fight the Necrons and their C'tan masters in the great interstellar conflict called the War in Heaven that shattered the galactic civilization of the Old Ones that existed prior to the rise of the Eldar.

oops

>WHFB
>Fantasy Battles
No such thing, my friends

>The Orks were created by the Brain Boyz to fight the Necrons and their C'tan masters in the great interstellar conflict called the War in Heaven that shattered the galactic civilization of the Old Ones that existed prior to the rise of the Eldar.

One day Gork and Mork will realize the true Necron menace to all life and they'll make the galaxy great again.

People are ignoring that GW doesn't have consistent lore. Orks have been shown using only pipes as devastating machine guns in some books and having their gestalt field as a smoothing of mechanisms in others. It's not defined.

Yes, thats what people have to get.

Orks can be a bit more lenient in their lore because Orkz. Other factions have to stick to the program and stop having C.S Goto and Ward type shit.

Orks are just placeholders until the real heroes of the universe show back up.

It covers or makes up for the fine tuning in getting tech up and running that the orks would generally never think or bother to do.

Its the rifling in their shootas, the air tight seal in their Subs and star ships, its what keeps ork ordinance from stikk bombs to the biggest shells from just going off constantly, its what buffs out flaws in the crude worn choppas metal so it doesnt just shatter on impact with anything.

Its things like that, the little refined things.

Anyone even today could look up plans for lots of crazy shit on the internet, but the waagh effect is what turns a shitty home made bomb that does work and works well on its own for what it is, into something equivalent to a well made reliable grenade.

It does bend physics to get the job done, red ones going fasta, resurrect an avatar and stuf like that but it doesnt usually do anything crazy on a mass scale.

Mostly because the orks are rooted in tradition, and the here and now and would never think to notice the Waagh effect or start manipulating it.

>Red things go faster because the Orks meks put more time into vehicles with red paint.
I have never read anything that supports this claim. I have read tons of shit from GW published sources that mention that their gestalt psychic field makes red things go faster because they believe it.
Yeah but in the more recent army books its toned down a bit. For instance

>Anyone even today could look up plans for lots of crazy shit on the internet, but the waagh effect is what turns a shitty home made bomb that does work and works well on its own for what it is, into something equivalent to a well made reliable grenade.

Excellent point, a good way to put it.

And yes, Orks live in the moment and don't think of where they'll be in 10 years or whatever because that's just how they are.

Being the last bastion of self aware humor in a fucking shitshow of try hard edgy that lost the plot a decade ago

>GW published sources that mention that their gestalt psychic field makes red things go faster because they believe it.

It was originally a bit of both. Ork meme magic was a supplement to actual inborn talent. Over time they were flanderized into full on play pretend wizards. Depending on sources you read ork guns are either clumsy and shouldn't work as well as they do, or are lumps of meaningless mechanism that shouldn't work at all

I'm not a big fan of the Orks because, while they have a decent amount of lore about them, their characters are extremely one-dimensional.

They don't even have any outliers who aren't. I understand that Orks were created by the Old Ones for the sole purpose of war, but still. Every other race in 40k has characters that go against the grain of their race, I really think the Orks would benefit from it.

It would be entirely against them.

There was some new book that changed things I hear but really they exist only for war and the love of that. Peace to them isn't even desirable.

Great warbosses could be cunning I suppose but their motivations are the same, fucking shit up.

Sure but take for instance (pardon my limited knowledge of the lore) some weird boy rises up in power and becomes a psyker warboss. He knows of the Emperor's exploits and respects him, and thus is goal becomes the resurrection of the Emperor through any means for the purpose of having the most worthy enemy of the Orks. The true test of might for thier race, etc. etc.

Then his waaagh is crafted around this unique ork and his ideals or something.

Orks actually already know and respect the Emperor. They figure any boss wot gets stoopid humies and space marines to scrap so hard must be one brutally cunning git.

Thrall's terrible, though.

I'd take a thousand completely one-dimensional orcs over him.

This tbqh.

>every other race in 40k has characters that go against the grain of their race
>i really think the orks would benefit from it

and they do
they're called stormboyz, you dumb git

For fuck's sake. He's right you retard. YOU learn the actual lore.

Mekboyz, big bosses, painboyz are not stupid. Also they are born with knowledge how to do stuff, and the bigger the conflict, the more technology will "unlock" to krump the threat. In the Beast series, when they had gigantic ork empire they used technology that was more advanced then imperium technology.

Yes, that's pretty much what I said

>some weird boy

Weird boys actually don't like being around other Orkz because it causes them enormous pain. They absorb the energy near them and belch it out.

Which also means Orkz like to kidnap them and use them as living weapons.

Giving the Orkz intrigue like this makes them more like Khorne followers, who can be cunning and dark at times and not super angry and killy 100% of the time.

Also as the other guy said, Orkz would likely view the emperor as some kind of super warboss who owns everything in humie land.

>Orkz would likely view the emperor as some kind of super warboss who owns everything in humie land.
There's no likely about it. That's exactly how they see the Emperor.

The orks see the Emperor as a literal Wargod of Humanity, and respect him as such.
Of course, they think that their own gods are better, but they still see the Emperor and humanity as a whole, as worthy foes to fight.

The thing that is sorta endearing about the orks, that they really don't hate anyone, at least not in the way we understand it.
They LOVE war and fighting, so their biggest enemies, are basically their best friends in their eyes.

Because you can have fun stuff like pic related, so not everything is ultra grimdark all the time.

Top kek.
There should be more lore about the daily lives of orks.

While I hate current Gree Jesus, BUT
1) Early Thrall was cool
2) Blizzard's view on orcs allowed them to make much more interesting and charismatic orc characters than GW.

>blizzard orks
>literally "dindu nuffin, misunderstood good bois"
>interesting or charismatic.

Top kek.

Funny, when I tried to make a ork character I basically did that.
I made a "humy-like" ork who rise into power through cheer kunnin'. He play a lot around his non-ork opponents expecting orks being orks and use a lot underhanded methods, to the point of unorkiness. Ultimately it will be his undoing, too smart for his own good as the other orks despise him. Kind of a tragic character, thinking his kind to be retarded and never truly getting them.
Or I could make him some sort of a reverse shonen hero: starting smart and calculated and wishing to be truly orky: spontaneous and straightforward.

Still better than irrelevant meme-race with initiative 2, which using only as saturday villains.
And looks even GW thinks so.

What's /pol/ about that post?
Whole lore about Warcraft orks is that they were originally good bois, that got corrupted by da ebil deamons or some shit, because Mentzen can only write one story, and has a corruption fetish.

I2 assault race is fluffy.

>Whole lore about Warcraft orks is that they were originally good bois, that got corrupted by da ebil deamons or some shit
But they weren't, guys like Grom, Kargath, Blackrock, Orgrim were brutal killers even before the corruption.
Blizzard just managed to give them much more charisma
- I am the Talon King! I have come from beyond death to stem the iron tide!
- Well I'm Kargath Bladefist, and when I kill something, IT STAYS DEAD.

That expansion was terrible, and you should feel terrible for referencing it.

They are the ultimate chav/blue collar demi-illiterate power fantasy.

It's simple, OP. Every FLGS needs it's ork player. Everyone needs the guy who's just here to have fun. Every day that the ork player shows up, he knows he's probably not gonna win. He knows that the tourneyfag is there trying out his new "shits on all your hopes and dreams list he pulled off the internet". But you know what? He build a shiny new custom Battlewagon that he wants to show off, so he's gonna play that day. Look around your place of gaming. Is there an ork player? Or is everything lost is a sea of wraith knights, space marines, and storm surges? Mock the I2 Melee race if you must, but know that the ork player is a vital component of making your place of gaming not complete cancer.

What if i'm the ork player and don't lose very often?

This. I use to hate 40k and people who played it before I discovered orks. They're fenominal

Yep it was bad, but shit some of quotes were amazing, and hey without WoD where GW would take design for their new not-orcs army?

where have you been, user?

> Mfw at my FLGS the ork player was the least pleasant and least creative player while the eldar player was the shilliest one.
Well, there were other orks players though: very quiet kids.

To be fair making them green dindu's is a more recent thing. Under thrall the swinekin where more noble savage laced with a fuckload of white guilt. Not until garrosh did they start chimping out proper

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!

I've always avoided the constant Primarch wanking born from the HH books. They're badly written shits and the people who can't shut the fuck up about them are cancerous idiots.

Right, this is one of the things GW historically got dead on. They had fluff which crossed over into the identities and styles of the players. Regular dude with his tac sqauds, guy unconvincingly pretending not to be regular with chaos tac squads, pretentious special rule obsessed Eldar guy, masochistic contrarian Dark Eldar guy, dude with an endless and merciless stamina for moving Termagants, Imperial Guard player who was basically a chill historical wargamer who'd got lost. Orks and the culture of fun were the crowning achievement.