What's your opinion on him Veeky Forums ?

What's your opinion on him Veeky Forums ?

He's alright.

Don't know who the hell that is, but since that sounds like another e-celeb - stop making internet nobodies famous.

Was great, then terrible, then good, and now just mediocre.

My opinion is mine and you should make your own.

He's allright.

yuck do not want

I used to watch him a long time ago.
I think he's boring now though.

He plays Hackmaster unironically.

i thought he was dead.

I think he's entertaining, and as white noise he's god-tier. Shame about no new content, but it's free so no reason to act entitled.

time is a valuable resource.
every person has the right to manage their own time, thus entitlement.

He IS dead. He committed suicide months ago.

>Entitled
There's that word again.
But even if that was an argument, that defense falls apart pretty quickly when you remember that he's been racking up patreonbucks for years and has fuck all to show for it.
Turns out he does in fact owe those people shit at the very least since that's his only source of income.

wish he got proper meds years ago

That was JewWario dude.

A valid criticism of point-buy systems would be:

>They don't force you to learn how to make a mechanically weak character interesting in the game, so if you only use point-buy you're crippling your creativity

What Spoony says:

>Point-buy systems are for pussies! All the characters end up the same because everyone goes for optimal builds!

He's literally a sperg lord.

I was introduced to his content through a friend, and thought he was pretty alright. I think I just might like the format of a person talking at length about a topic I'm interested in, even in - and perhaps because - an amateurish way were he just goes on tangents.

The only video game of his I saw was his series on Ultima, which I liked - but I don't think I'd care for his other stuff about games.

He can be a bit immature at times with his mannerisms and points, but it doesn't bother me that much - being a little less filtered feels refreshing.

that was actually him scamming

Man what the fuck happened to this guy? Has he formally given up on making reviews or what? All he ever does is upload footage from his streams.

Spoony was pretty good.

His Counter Monkey series was pretty hit-or-miss. The best ones were when he was just telling a story about a game he played or ran. The worst ones were when he was talking about a specific system and would keep having to flip through the book, and that's a flaw he's realized and tried to work on to some degree. I dunno, even though I don't entirely agree with him on everything when it comes to tabletop, I do still find his videos entertaining.

Outside that, he had some other really great non-Veeky Forums related videos: Phantasmagoria 2, Ripper, FMV Hell, the Ultimate retrospective, all the Final Fantasy stuff, and Rebruary among others.

Of course, I'm using the past tense to describe the guy because he no longer really makes videos any more. He went nearly an entire year without a new video. For a while, he did livestreams, but I don't think he really does that any more. That said, the guy made quite a few videos in his time, and I still put them on in the background and get some enjoyment out of them, so godspeed, Spoony. Godspeed.

Don't forget SWAT 4! I really liked that series. Didn't care for the Ultima stuff as much, as that's more of him just being super-fanboy.

He's been working on his movie "Spoony: The Motion Picture."

>Turns out he does in fact owe those people
Unfortunately, that's not how donating to a content creator works.
You're only paying for the chance they'll make more, not for the contractual obligation.

Take note of this if you've backed stuff like Star Citizen: They can just give you stuff you didn't necessarily want, but let yourself hope to be what they were doing.

While this is true, at the same time, if people donate to you with the promise or reasonable expectation that you'll create some kind of content, and you don't create that content, you're going to lose future donations and hurt your ability to pay your bills, and that's more than fair.

Case in point: Spoony's Patreon has taken a nosedive and his girlfriend has complained about not making enough money and "money being tight."

>Case in point: Spoony's Patreon has taken a nosedive and his girlfriend has complained about not making enough money and "money being tight."
How do you know all of this stuff? Do they really just put that all out there?

As a matter of fact they do. Spoony does nothing now but shit himself on a Twitter all day.

>thinking Spoony has actually been working on anything
user...

I used to like his stuff. I liked his earlier counter-monkey stuff then he just got to be a preachy asshole who went off on long unrelated tangents.

He would benefit a lot from a script

I don't hate him though, I don't have the time or energy to hate internet personalities.

>They don't force you to learn how to make a mechanically weak character interesting in the game, so if you only use point-buy you're crippling your creativity
The only thing that I would add to this is that stats are really one of the only areas in D&D where there's likely to be any character differences. Clerics always have the same abilities, dwarves always have the same bonuses, etc.
Nonideal stats are still uniquely yours, and I feel that there's something kind of heroic about owning that and living up to the highest potential that your character can have, even if their "suboptimal". People are suboptimal, even heroes, and randomizing stats reinforces that.
Pic not really related, but for some reason I only ever think to use it when Spoony threads come up

Yeah, but I'm a loser in real life. Why would I want to play a roleplaying game where I'm some dipshit who isn't good at anything?

fuckin dude needs to put the bottle down is what i think

>How do you know all of this stuff? Do they really just put that all out there?
Yep.

That was also posted at a time when people were still donating $2500 a month from Patreon. He's now down to $1200. He was at over $5000 at one point. And that's all ignoring ad revenue he's losing out on from videos he's no longer making.

Point is, even if you might not be legally obligated to make good on your promises/expectations, it's still a really bad idea if you like making money.

Don't know who that is don't care.

He's a loud, opinionated asshole who thinks that if you don't agree with him you're a pussy and shouldn't play.

I'm surprised he doesn't post on Veeky Forums

We know him as Virt here.

Excellent reply.

""""""""""""""""working""""""""""""""""

He has this kind of musty smell

I liked his rant about Ultima, but never watched other videos.

Some of his earlier countermonkeys are good. The Toilet Pizza, Vegan Steve, and the Squirtgun Wars.

He did get more bitchy and holier than thou with time though.

hes a sperg, he'll get mad triggered over a viewer shitposting and spend the rest of the stream bitching about it

it's great

I remember his main complaint of 5E was that you don't get to choose your skills, something that's flat out wrong, and he'd know that if he had played the game (which he hadn't).

I still like him. I understand why others may not, but at this point, I just want him to focus on his mental health. Dude's in a bad place, from what I hear.

Who are some good Veeky Forums content youtubers?

If you are just looking for gameplay, try grey hunter on youtube.

Look for the croctopus

Yeah he really flipped shit, after skimming the 5E PHB, out of fucking nowhere. I understand that 5E has flaws and people are entitled to their own opinion but for God's sake read the damn book for a few minutes before you make an hour long rant.

Also try grimthr and whycaliber

I was annoyed by his dislike of the Inspiration mechanic (I'm not particularly thrilled with it either and it usually doesn't come up a lot) but his example of "The bard's in trouble, everyone give him Inspiration" is rendered invalid if he had read the rules and say that Inspiration was binary, either you have it, or you don't. You can't have more than 1 point at a time.

I didn't get why he was so angry about the Death Save rules either, they should have been pretty familiar considering they are exactly the same as the Death Save rules from 4E which he admitted to liking.

He also really hated how spellcasters now had basic attack cantrips that were basically magic-flavored crossbow attacks, because I guess it's not D&D if wizards and sorcerers aren't standing there missing with a sling 80% of the time.

Actually, he has started streaming kinda regularly again, and he sounds pretty healthy. He also released the last reb brown review this year.

I loved his work, but he doesn't really do anything these days.
still, counter monkey is still relevant to this board.

>tfw want to be opinionated about ttrpgs
>tfw don't want to seem like an asshole
I'm opinionated but don't often do the whole "if you're wrong you're a shit" stuff.

I'm worried as fuck about seeming like an asshat.

He thinks he is hot shit when he's just shit.

>as white noise he's god-tier
I feel the same way. People criticize his movie review vlogs for being so long (longer than the movie in several cases), but I like them that way. They're great to listen to or watch in another window while I play a game or something.

>I'm worried as fuck about seeming like an asshat.
The fact that you're even worried about it probably puts you several steps ahead.

>I'm worried as fuck about seeming like an asshat.
Nah, don't be.
Tone police are the most obnoxious people out there. Just state your opinion, and be aware that people are allowed to disagree with you, and that's alright.

People like are morons, and you shouldn't want their approval.

Some of his old material was damn good, then he got absolutely shit for awhile. He pulled himself back for a time, especially around the release of his FF13 takedown. But nowadays he's pretty uninteresting, unfunny, and not worth watching. At some point, he also became more apt to pretentiously show off how moral he was over stupid shit.
Kinda disappointing, honestly.

My favorite reviewer.

pic unrelated

Spoony is on my rotation with Moviebob and Sci-Fi Debris for listening to when I'm grinding singleplayer Magic and trying out a few lists or shitting about on Minecraft, it's inoffensive, you can dip in and out and it goes on for a long time

He used to be awesome, for a while everything he put out was gold. Then he got shit, probably when his personal life got tough, then he had a bit of a breakdown and now he's OK, bit boring most of the time but he's been going a long time. Finding out Spoony is still making videos is like realising rathergood.com still exists; he's from another time, a simpler time. I don't think his content is hugely creative but it's good to know he's still out there somewhere.

>Spoony is on my rotation with Moviebob and Sci-Fi Debris for listening to when I'm grinding singleplayer Magic and trying out a few lists or shitting about on Minecraft, it's inoffensive, you can dip in and out and it goes on for a long time
The wrestling vlogs aren't bad for that, either. I haven't watched wrestling in years, but I do have some concept of it, so I know a little of what he's talking about, and it's fairly entertaining to hear him complain about it.

To be honest as long as he's relatively involved in the content and doesn't have a shelf of books next to him he can ramble entertainingly about damn near anything. The books are the clincher, he will just stop mid way through and go look shit up.

Having said that I think there is a lack of decent long play content in general these days, it's all a little Zero Punctuation; all five minute snarkfests. One of my favourite reviewers for background while I painted stuff was Confused Matthew but too many vloggers do quick hit videos rather than a more considered longer discussion.

>Moviebob
Gross.

I'm not hugely wedded to him OR Sci-Fi Debris honestly, he's just my historical go-to guy for rambling gaming videos back when they were good and he tends to review films promptly.

Any suggestions for general film reviews and TV retrospectives? preferably without the SFD tendency to pause the video for a minute and skit off some random sentence or plot point.

>lack of decent long play content in general these days
I tend to agree, I like to have long videos on in the background while I sleep, or work or play games.

But we're the minority of people, unfortunately. Most people like short, easily digestible entertainment.

Look up Lorerunner/Archengeia (same person). He makes long videos where he talks about games, star trek/star wars and other things like that. Peaceful voice too.

>Confused Matthew
Man, It's so disappointing that he quit. also disappointing that he sold out

What's the over/under on Noah suck starting a shotgun in 2017?

>movieblob

Get some taste tbqh

As I say, if you know another good movie reviewer who reviews stuff while it's still in the cinema I'm all ears. I don't care if it's Bob or someone else, I basically just want something similar for spoiler free reviews rather than the Red Letter Media style deconstructions and critiques.

What happened there anyway? He just stopped after Inside Out.

Will do, thanks.

It's a shame, you just can't get your point across in ten minutes unless you really rush. Most of the best videos about films and shows I've seen have been approaching the length of the thing they're discussing.

Incidentally I love the way TCC reviews products, there's a difference between just being told a deck box is solid and seeing the presenter hurling it around the room.

>I love the way TCC reviews products
Yeah he's alright. I don't hate him like some of Veeky Forums. Theres no really much offensive about the guy. I just find that .gif funny.

It's not a matter of preference, it's for monetization purposes. In the previous marketing algorithm videos were most efficient at ten minutes. It allowed the creator to put the most ads in for the shortest time and it maximized on retention time/production time.

midnight screenings or ross scott monthly hang out are my go to videos when im going to spend a good three hours working on a comic im drawing
its such a great way to kill time and silence