EDH / Commander General

last thread ded.

doubles decides my next deck, if i have the general

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info
>>

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sigarda-zonvolt/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trostani-pile/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-the-double-strike-flying-monk/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-i-m-i-c-g-o-o-d-s-t-u-f-f/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trostani-the-sitter-of-faces/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/k-i-l-l-r-o-c-k-n-r-o-l-l/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>op image
Senpai, you can do better than this. All Commanders that you posted have expected deck lists. Try to venture out to the greater unknown, like a Radha list or some shit. I believe in you.

What would one even do with Radha? But I am a fairly predictable player, as I'd most of my play group. I think endrek is the only one that is new for the group

These are who I have left

Sol Ring should be banned

Epic.

What kind of autism is that?

I made a generic dumb sigarda thing. Please shit on it.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sigarda-zonvolt/

Yes, but how would you go about banning it? Even if you dethroned Shelly, wizards would be in charge of the format. Wizards won't ban what they have been shoving in every precon.

>insurrection banned in my group
>meanwhile cyclonic rift, sol ring, necropotence, deadeye navigator, whatever are completely okay to play
>bring up the fact that i want to put insurrection in one a gahiji group hug deck as a finisher
>get met with silence

how do i unfuck these nerds

You know what, I'd just bring the most cutthroat leovold deck to fuck with these people. But leave their lands unttouched so they can't complain. :^)

Hiram and Edgar sound like fuckheads who can't deal. Bully them harder for being shit.

What did insurrection do to them?

Buy them all a playset of homeward paths for Christmas.

like 5 years ago when everyone was starting out with edh, the mono-green player cast tooth and nail entwined a couple of wincons and then passed, and then the monored player who had done nothing all game cast insurrection and won

apparently this happened more than once so the mono-green player lobbied for banning insurrection, and the group agreed for some reason

now the mono-green player doesn't even play with the group and is busy in medschool instead, and the mono-red player is still in the group, not doing really anything since his deck's average cmc is 4.5 and he has like 34 lands in his deck and 2 mana rocks

my group is pretty cool lmao

i need some help guys, recently decided to make a Trostani deck but couldn't decide weather to focus on a lifegain combo or token aggro style. I foolishly decided to play it down the middle which has left me with this

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trostani-pile/

not sure if i absolutely must pick one goal and go with it. our playgroup has a lot of pretty powerful decks so if i go more "fun" i might just lose constantly. Which theme is better to focus on? Can i get away with trying to split the differance if i were to maybe cut out some of the expensive stuff and mana ramp and instead build around a more midrange power point?

I think houseruling is retarded most of the time, because people who want cards banned never want it for a proper reason and their reason never is anything else but muh feels. Usually it's not even of a powerful card that's on the noose line, but a card that beat them.
Issue here is the fact that most EDH-players are immature pissbabies who want EDH to be their hug format where they can't lose.
Usually they want some nasty shit unbanned too, because it would be in their colours. I had played in a group where one player was playing prime time, but didn't whine, because she was playing a pretty casual deck anyway.

I whoop the group every time, in casual games too (where the thing is that they play with a 60-card deck and when I don't, I use a commander deck without the commander unless it has a matching sleeve). I have some weak ass decks, but I'm not an awful player and win every time even when I puropsefully make bad plays. I just want multiplayer games with matching skills and power level.

i feel like the EDH ban list is more or less fine although i would maybe add some of the more broken lands like mishra's workshop and gaia's cradle, our group plays with a lot of proxies so expensive cards see a fair amount of play and can be really broken

also comment on my trostani deck i need help!

So, user, I heard you like to draw cards...

Go away Leovold.

>just want one for my collection
>he doesn't stop rising in price

Is he really that popular?

Someone I know used him as a one off in his legacy deck. Worked pretty well apparently

If it makes you feel any better, I have three from packs, and I never managed to pull a marchessa, which is the legendary I actually wanted.

>UGx
>Strong effect
>Low CMC
>suave smug elf face

Yeah he's super popular

>Scroll Rack, Divining Top, Damnation, Invoke Prejudice and Draco banned in my group
>Nothing else is
>Only reason the group banned those cards is because I kept winning with them and " We don't have expensive cards so you shouldn't have them either"
>mfw

Sounds interesting, I'll probably buy him after christmas.

I bought marchesa but hold out on leovold, turns out I should have bought him when he was 12€.

I just want him for his smug face because I might just start smug tribal.

This is why I couldn't be in a casual group. I play in edh tournaments at my lgs or just play some casual games there but if someone was like "I can't afford a top so no one can play top" we'd just laugh at the guy.

powering up your deck past your group with expensive staples is That Guy behavior though

He's a good card against miracles, specifically brainstorm and ponder.

but it's not like I'm playing super broken cards or anything. Granted, Invoke Prejudice I can understand. But the others aren't horrible. Fucking Draco for christ sakes

My group only allows proxies if you're testing the card before buying.

i would do this too

it's a little annoying when someone in a table plays damnation to clear your board, and you later lose because you were 1 mana short of your budget board wipe (life's finale)

damnation is a pretty justifiably expensive and i personally don't think it fits into a casual table where others are playing 60-150 dollar decks

Nigga there is a fucking Draco and damnation on that list. I don't see how Draco is good in anything but volrath, let alone be a staple.

Damnation is just a color shifted card, it is no more powerful than wrath of God. Literally only as powerful as a 5$ card, it's just a lack of reprints jacking up the price.

This shit would be like if an Esper player ran recruiter of the guard, then lost their shit if the mono red player laid down an imperial recruiter.

Just because you are playing in worse/different colors doesn't mean you should be shafted because the old cards are rare.

(Also I haven't met anyone yet that blows a bunch of money to be better at EDH than their friends, usually this is stuff is just things from older collections).

if this was a casual group and proxies weren't allowed, then they were right on calling you a dick. i wouldn't bother showing to my lgs tournaments if we didn't put temp bans on commanders that go infinite on turn 4 and force rotation.

draco doesn't cost that much, though

>finally get TCG player to have an order go through after like a week of trying
>24 packages

does card kingdom or any other seller have this problem? the only reason i use TCG player is because of the mass entry feature but the head ache that come with actually buying the cards and the amount of packages i have to wait for is irritating as fuck

y'all are letting me down here T.T can a nigga get some advice?

I don't think that current banlist is good at all, it's pretty awful to be honest. Thankfully it's more coherent, and I think that it was better when there was two separate banlists instead of one.

Anyway, Trostani really isn't a commander that can be built effectively in many different ways, but I feel like Rhox Faithmender is a winmore card, Darien is pretty much bad overall, unless you can whip yourself. Voracious Wurm seems really dull, Feudkiller's Verdict and Call to the Conclave seem to be not very effective.
I would at least add that one bird that blinks when it attacks, and if you want some extra jank, add Meandering Towershell.
I don't really know about your meta, but I'd add some utility creatures, maybe Pod and Eldrich Evolution. I'd also add some tutors, most notably Eladamri's Call. Consider also Brawn, Glory and Genesis. They work in our grave, but I think at least Brawn and Genesis are worth the include.

TCG has let me down so many times.

I actually have been satisfied with SCG recently.

Either way I don't buy many cards very frequently though.

For some reason I want an alter of leovold as adolf hitler.

Just raise his arm a bit.

Yeah, why is Draco banned?

Please see
Wrath of god is a 5$ card, please explain yourself. Do you only allow yourself to play with other monoblack players or something?

>Damnation is just a color shifted card, it is no more powerful than wrath of God. Literally only as powerful as a 5$ card, it's just a lack of reprints jacking up the price.

color shifted cards inherently pretty overpowered. white and red shouldn't be able to draw like blue and black do, because that's what blue and black are good at. likewise, black shouldn't be able to have access to 4 mana board wipes, because that's white's thing. damnation isn't hugely overpowered, but i just really dislike it because it breaks the color pie. it just shouldn't exist.

jesus christ, what are you buying? i'll put in an order of around 100 cards and have like four packages at worst. this is after switching on same set matches in the cart optimizer.

What commander would Tolkien play?

>but i just really dislike it because it breaks the color pie. it just shouldn't exist.

Jesus /edh/ is this what you've become

what's the point of colors if they all do the same thing? explain it to me like the retard i am

Probably a three colored elf that was efficient, in green and blue, had a smug face, and probably generated advantage by being on the board.

Doesn't that describe like every elf legend?

>that player who does pay attention to the game and does stupid shit because "I don't know what's going on"
Why do we let people's gfs play with us again
Man Scott Pilgrim has some fucking awful art

No.

This is fucking retarded, the best boardwipe in black is 3 mana and $6 anyways.

Not that user, but you can't have an eternal format without embracing some portion of your mistakes. The only alternative is to aggressively ban cards or rotate cards out.

A format like standard can be recreated every year in an attempt to capture how the game "should" have been, but with a twist. Aggressively putting an eternal format with an ever-expanding card pool under the knife doesn't do it any favors.

To call something a mistake in this context doesn't mean it shouldn't have happened. In legacy, mistakes are the draw of the format. In a social format, mistakes give you creative license with your decks.

If you want a real example of what happens when you try to cleanse mistakes from an eternal format rather than only focusing on the health and fun of the format, look at hearthstone's "wild" format. The classic packs in hearthstone are damned to an ongoing cycle of nerfs for the sake of standard.

>damnation isn't hugely overpowered, but i just really dislike it because it breaks the color pie.
Destroying creatures and preventing regen is pretty black

im buying a bunch of cards for a new commander deck. i guess the near mint part is making it so ridiculous?

Nigga what, black gets loads of board wipes AND it gets them cheap. Hell, even cheaper than Damnation with Toxic Deluge. Also there is languish and mutilate at 4cmc.

I could see your argument working if mono red got like, a stroke of genius... Maybe. But this is something black does already. Are you sure there isn't some other reason behind why you think people shouldn't play the card? Because right now you just look ignorant or crazy.

Damnation is not reprinted due to development concerns, not because it breaks the color pie.

Black gets tons of board wipes. It just so happens that regeneration clauses were phased out by design and 4-mana wipes were phased out by development. Damnation is very much on-color.

It's literally Wrath of God, it's only expensive because of scarcity. There's been plenty of good opportunities to reprint it, but they probably won't unless it's one of those super ultra mythic rares like the expiditions or the masterpeices.

This card is just so... perfect, seriously

Hey Veeky Forums. I was thinking of making an Urabrask Big Red Beatdown. How stupid of an idea is that?

like a 6 out of 10 on the stupid scale

So just perfect for red

middling and mediocre? Sounds about red.

yeah dude, and Concentrate wouldn't be overpowered in a white/red deck, not a staple at all

You're a fucking retard. Damnation literally is within black's colour pie, but Concentration isnt in white/red. Like at all.

Stupid enough that you've convinced me to try it.

???

black doesn't have any straight up board wipes though. damnation is the only one.

mutilate, toxic deluge are conditional. life's finale, decree of pain, in garruk's wake have an added effect which makes them cost much more.

if damnation is such an obvious black card, why is it the only one that serves in the "cheap unconditional board wipe"

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-the-double-strike-flying-monk/

What does everyone think of my Shu Yun deck? I feel that it needs some spicy tech but I don't know exactly what. Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Crux of Fate works 90% of the time and only costs 5 mana

I'll give you staple, but overpowered, no.

One thing I never understood was almost every time I see a WBx list, it'll have a Damnation but not wrath of god.

How would something like this resolve if the target player has no library?

if you have darien and trostani out whenever you lose life you immediately gain that much back...

Rhox Faithmender definitly caters more towards a lifegain win by either allowing me to kill 2 people with aetherflux reservoir or to gain enough life that i can't be knocked below 50 before my next turn to win with test of endurance

as for brawn, glory, and genesis Akroma's memorial and eldrazi monument are better than all of them combined. this is what i'm saying if i wanna focus more on creature token swarm as a win-con then i should put in those plus beastmaster ascentiion and overwhelming stampede and maybe nomads assembly

but if i were to focus on lifegain as the win con i should put in sterling grove, idyllic tutor, birthing pod, aestheticism, elvish piper/quicksilver amulet, academy rector and a bunch of removal so that i can get my insta win cards into play at instant speed and protect them

Well, if you use millstone on empty library, what happens?

that's what i'm asking

About Darien, that's wrong. He only applies to damage, and I don't think anyone is stupid enough to attack you when you control him, unless they have lethals already. This is also the reason why Darien decks absolutely NEED self pain, he's essentially 6 mana Peacekeeper.

While I get what you're going for, lifegain isn't a viable wincon, at least when it comes to EDH, because of high involvement of infinites and more likely, commander damage. This is why I don't like Rhox Faithmender, at least Archive doubles your draws.
I think that redudnancy is really important, which is why I would include recursion, which you don't have. At all. Not even Eternal Witness.
If you lose an important piece, it's gone forever if it hits the grave.
Even worse, you don't have any removal, aside from Sundering Growth, Sylvan Reclamation and Aura Shards, nothing for creatures.
Again, this might be meta dependant, but I would want a couple of wraths and spot removals. At least include RTD, which costs nothing anyway in money.

Reposting this from last night. Want to get some thoughts.

don't want to power it up to huge levels, just maybe mid-tier. It only has 2 wincons right now (triumph of the hordes and leveler and Lab man). All k wanna keep.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-i-m-i-c-g-o-o-d-s-t-u-f-f/

Absolutely nothing. The ability resolves and target player mills x amount. If they can't, nothing happens, as in the ability does nothing, but isn't countered.
Only thing with Helm, is when someone has something like RiP or Leyline, they exile their libraries, because they can't exile anything anymore. It's different, because Helm's ability requires the cards to hit the grave for it to resolve, so it keeps going until the target has no library.

Posting this again because thread died within an hour or two after I posted this yesterday

Hey guys, bad alter user here. I watched many videos on how to thin my paints, and realized I wanted to attempt to improve in the field of painting rather than stay shitty forever.

Last time I posted my """art""" , I was scolded for not knowing the medium and needing to thin my paints. Well, I took my time and decided to rework and repaint my mimeoplasm under the inspiration of two of my favorite movies.

I resleeved and reboxed the deck in nice sleeves and really reworked my self-mill strategy to something workable (mimeoplasm was my second deck! )

I hope I did better, and as always I'd love to hear any feedback.

Here's my Trostani deck. I love
offer to go wide rather than tall with her, which I know would be better with Rhys but I don't wanna drop the money on him. I like Trostani incidental lifegain too. Works well with Angelic Accord.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trostani-the-sitter-of-faces/

So it effectively grants immunity. Neat.

What? You're still gonna lose when you draw a card, unless you have a replacement effect such as Abundance or Lab Maniac.
A player not being able to mill you because you have no library really doesn't do anything good for you, because normally you lose anyway.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/k-i-l-l-r-o-c-k-n-r-o-l-l/ What should I cut?

I Wrath of God + Armageddon'd to protect a Near Death Experience last night and one guy was more angry at me destroying all lands than winning at 1 life right in front of him.

Why is tactical MLD so ridiculously satisfying?

I want to be able to introduce the monarch with at least one card in all my decks because I fucking love the mechanic.

Would these two be good enough to use with Marath and OG Marchesa respectively?

Like you said, I don't lose on the spot. I can still have a Platinum Angel on the field or skip my draw step.

I think you should focus more on token spam and cards like your commander and pic related. They'll help you gain life while you go aggro with tokens.

not bad at all, i do like that you're more focused than me as far as them but surprised not to see beastmaster ascension. the extra card draw is a nice touch though definitely something i'm lacking

I did a while ago. It was really fun. I don't have a decklist but it was casual.

Yeah, that's correct.

any spicy tech for my new waifu or is it just generic voltron?

Rasputin "Just Try to Tell Me That's Not Fucking Gandalf" Dreamweaver or Angus "Also Totally Not Gandalf" Mackenzie.

three Dreams i guess? you could play mesmeric orb and how to mill some auras,

Flight of Fancy is moderately spicy with her. Too bad she has flying already. Sigil of Sleep is probably as spicy as it gets aura-wise for Bruna.

land destruction is just not fun to play against

well peacekeeper prevents you from attacking aswell but you're right darien does not work with phrexian processor or other lose life effects

still...if i was gonna go full tokens i might as well play rhys the redeemed as my commander

Thank you for reminding me, actually. I'm gonna be adding that in now that the only copy I have is now deckless. It was in Ezuri, but I dismantled that for Azusa and Edric

Something I want to add is more tutors but that's about it. Altar of Bone is pretty unused so I like it. Need a GSZ and maybe a Chord of Calling too

Cant decide should I improve my current decks or should I continue to brew new ones? Current decks and ones I have legendaries for.

Current Decks
>Niv-Mizzet The Firemind
>Bosh, Iron Golem
>Phelddagrif
>Kokusho, The Evening Star
>Sliver Overlord
>Freyalise

Decks I want to brew and have the commanders for.
>The Gitrog Monster/Titania
>Kruphix UG Cancer
>Brago King Eternal
>Zedruu
>Karametra
>Ghave
>Momir Vig
>Jazal Goldmane
>Sigarda, Heron's Grace
>Ezuri Renegade

This is true. I only ever use it to protect a next turn win though so I guess my view on it is sorta skewed towards the useful rather than nofun side ... idk

You should be able to build a decent Jazal deck easily and cheaply.