Rival Schools

So I want to run a game about that most japanese of tropes: Martial arts fights between high schoolers. Is there a good system for this? Particularly one that has a lot of variety between styles or kinds of fighters or whatever you wanna call it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dN90uRyAsec
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Legend of Wulin perfectly nails the martial arts and their varieties bit.

Just throw it into a modern high school where the main characters learn of ancient ways through some method or another? Working at a shrine part-time, or being the son of a grandmaster, or having an obsessive interest in Venom Clan movies, or what-have-you.

Feng Shui.

>Feng Shui
1 or 2?

I'll look into it. Really, I'd just be cannibalizing the combat system and refitting the rest of it to be more in line with the idea.

Legends of the Wulin is perfect for this. It's originally designed for Wuxia stuff, but one of the more famous games of it, Nihao Honey, is run by one of the developers and is about anime-style high school martial arts antics. It was literally made to support this kind of gameplay.

It isn't the easiest system, the core book is unfortunately awfully edited which makes getting to grips with it a real bitch, but it's has the best combat system of any RPG I have ever played.

Have a rules light martial arts RPG OP. It's an odd game I've never heard talked about much, but it's pretty fun.

that's some lolanimation

First question; Did you play the game?

I also just watched the new Friday Nights Fisticuffs.
It could be a pretty cool game.

I've wanted to use Fate Accelerated for this sort of game for awhile now. I feel like you could hack the Approaches to make different fighting styles and use stunts for crazier powers. Plus, I think Fate's good for trope-heavy narratives when everyone's on board and eager to use clichés. Downside is the usual Fate issues: everything can feel samey and optimizing the system makes it more boring than most.

I don't dislike FATE, but in a game where combat is a major part of the storytelling I'd be very leery of using it. When combat is just a means to an end, FATE's approach of getting it out of the way quickly and simply works very well, but when fights are such a pivotal and significant part of the theme I think you'd be much better off with something like LotW.

Rival schools? Of course.

Oh, I don't disagree. Like I said, with Fate everyone needs to be in agreement with how the game's going to be played. It does do consequences nicely, with the social links and lingering effects represented by aspects. Something that could easily be ported to another system.

Try GURPS Martial Arts. There are a lot of options for different martial artists. I ran a drunken brawler in an earlier game and it was groovy.

LotW actually has that kind of alternate consequence built into it via Chi Conditions, it's really cool. Two friends sparring can leave a fight with mutual buffs, while defeating a foe could inflict them with a curse or a passion of grief at their defeat instead of lingering injuries. It's a really cool element of the system.

Cool. Yeah, I've got a copy of LotW on my hard drive, but as noted, it's not very neatly put together, so I never delved deeply into it.

Holy shit that animation is an embarassment

Oh, there are worse.

>one girls dress changes color entirely
>one dudes pants get brighter

Come on man, at least get the colors right

if you're running a game that's at all anime themed you can't go wrong with anima beyond fantasy

assuming you're willing to put in the time re-reading the books and checking fourm posts to make sense of the jank english translation and format the rules are in

This is what you get when you have multitudes of people working on the same scene at the same time and they never get to communicate.The sad thing is that this is commonplace, this is the norm.

The girl in the green's sleeves change colors too.

What about Fight! The Fighting Game RPG?

Seems pretty much made for this.

Fight!, Thrash and similar games, in my experience, try way too hard to emulate specific mechanics and end up as an overwrought, clunky mess.

If you're gonna use FATE for any martial arts stuff I suggest taking a look at Tianxia: Blood, Silk, and Jade a fate based wuxia game
It has rules for up to 36 different martial arts styles and how to create your own

only game based on martial arts i know off the top of my head was palladium's Ninjas and Superspies.

OP here. Gonna go through Final stand then LoW and FS. One of these should hopefully work. Though I am encouraged by the fact that LoW was actually used for this sort of thing before.

I backed TianXia, but was somewhat disappointed for the reasons stated in . I was really hoping they'd do more to flesh out the core combat system and make it more satisfying. It's still not bad, but... Yeah. A Wuxia game failing to nail combat is a massive problem IMO.

As mentioned above, the LotW book is a glorious clusterfuck. If you want anything explained or talked through, I've got an explanation writeup I made for a thread a few days ago I could pull stuff from.

What's up with that random Ranma picture.

At least post something more appropriate.

What about Veeky Forums's TURBO?

>Thread about highschool martial arts anime
>Ranma isn't appropriate

You what?

Any info would be good. I haven't started reading but I'm sure it would be helpful once I get started and am stuck scratching my head at some point. The PDF share thread has an archived cheatsheet, but anything more helps.

Well the thread is titled "Rival Schools" so you'd think you'd be posting images from rival schools.

No idea what that is.

Its a fighting game that is literally what the OP was describing. High school students with varied and weird techniques kungfu fighting each other.

It's actually really disappointing, because the first series did a phenomenal job with animation.

This game was my highschool life with my friends
So many hours burnt getting my ass handed to me.
Daigo/Gan/Boman

youtube.com/watch?v=dN90uRyAsec

I never watched soul eater, what is happening in that webm?
They're just swinging their arm around.
Is parkinsons a weapon or something?
Can we weaponise M.J.Fox?

One of the two major English forums for it got cut.

Anyone heard of a system called Fire Born? I heard that it has a really cinematic combat system.

>The two best schoolgirl fg characters are named Kazama

Why are they so based?

Basically, the chick with the pole is a scythe meister (weapon-wielder) and the other chick is a butterfly knife weapon (meaning she can transform parts of her body into her weapon form or become the weapon itself at will).

At this point in the story, butterfly-knife massacred some people because she was under mind control or some shit and scythe-user stepped in to stop her.

The old anime had much better animation, though it also deviated from the manga towards the end

Bottom right guy goes from grey to green too.