How did war look like in the 19th century?

How did war look like in the 19th century?

infection and gangrene everywhere!

Fuck. That was meant for Veeky Forums.

>How ... like
You goddamn motherfucker.

Tetanus.

Pretty fabulous.

WWI changed a lot of things, but nothing is as regrettable as that.

The French were still basically in Napoleonic dress in World War One, but that changed eventually.

Fuck, how long did it take them to actually use helmets again? Way too long, anyway.

This.

Also, new technology and innovative new officers clash with old generals and traditional tactics, with spectacularly bloody results. WW1 is the quintessential example of this, but this was happening as early as the American Civil-Napoleon era close order formations plus new Minie ball rifles and rifled artillery made for massacres.

That would wary quite bit depending on when and where the war took place. You start the century with French Revolutionary Wars and end it with 2nd Boer War and Boxer Rebellion.

*American Civil War

Exactly the same as it does now, because War...War never changes.

Might as well ask:

How did American Civil War tactics and strategy affect European doctrine?

War has changed, though. ID-tagged soldiers with ID-tagged guns, etc. etc. And yes, I know that's not what the Fallout quote is about, but still.

The change between 19th-century and 20th-century warfare was especially obvious, since you had such an escalation in tech - hence the fuckshow that was early WWI.

As always when someone asks a question here, it's too wide to give a decent answer to.

You have to look at a specific region or shorter period of time to learn anything useful.

It's like asking "how did mobile phones look in the 20th century"

You have both 2.5 lb bricks that cost 4000 dollars and the first smart phones depending on when you zoom in on.

I'm pretty sure the first smart phones didn't start showing up until the 21st century. I remember reading about it in The Economist in 2003 or 2004 as something Samsung was experimenting with. There were PDAs back then, but they didn't get combined with phones until a few years afterwards. I wish they hadn't been combined

Or you might not have mobile phones at all, because the 20th century encompasses so much!

Fuck, when it comes to tech even talking about decades quickly becomes difficult. How did phones look in the naughts? You went from bricks being popular to clamshells to whoops, suddenly the iPhone is out. And you've got some years during that time when all three are popular and on the market at the same time!

Asking about the history of warfare in terms of centuries kind of makes sense if you go back some centuries, but the acceleration of technology after the industrial revolution kind of fucked up the scale a bit. Among other things.

Blackberry, brah. Also, look up the Nokia 9000 Communicator.

>How did war look like
Retake English.

It should be noted that technology didn't hit the world in equal waves; the Middle East was an absolute mess in the 50s where swordsmen and Renault FTs and T-55s and Maxim Machineguns and Napoleonic cannons and muskets clashed like a Civ IV game.

I recommend getting off the internet and going to any library, wherein can be found hundreds of these arcane devices we call "books".

From there, one may learn any topic imaginable, including the answers to your question.

and but thems lost the wars then

>It's this thread again