/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Monk UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last thread: There's a single-file HTML page with all the monster stats in the Mega under Extras, it's worth checking out.

Let's have an art appreciation thread. What is your favorite art from a 5e product? Your least favorite? Any artists that you really prefer?

Personally, my favorite artist from this edition is Tyler Jacobson.

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/157339657594601472/259829598605279235/items.html
dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/113120/102960078?loadFresh=true&title=11_01_Cover
crobi.github.io/dnd5e-quickref/preview/quickref.html
youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c
youtube.com/watch?v=Sagg08DrO5U
enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?470894-How-the-heck-do-you-use-the-Chase-rules-in-the-DMG/page3#ixzz4SySzCaKb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So I've never played a ranged elf. Doing that now, went with a homebrew class that feels an awful lot like a valor bard, started lvl 5. what the fuck am i supposed to do? Do i really just pick up sharpshooter and double attack unless a spell would be better? whats better than (1d8+dex+10)*2 per round?

HA. beat the 4e faggots. Small victory today, fellow /5eg/ers.

The preferred nomenclature is /5eg/got.

Got a party without a single healer? You're welcome.

Hex/hunter's mark, maybe
Ensnaring strike (remember you have advantage on restrained targets)

Consider *Not* playing shitty homebrewed classes?

How many aliens has your party slain?

To our knowledge, one. Fucking froghemoths

my paladin of Trump has slain many illegal immigrants, if that's what you're asking

female hobgoblins a cute

Ooh, hex is a good idea. Ill see about picking it up asap.

playtesting to see if its shitty. So far... its squirrley as fuck. Sitting pretty at 18-24 AC depending on how many spell points i spend. Can Hide while observed as a bonus action and I picked up some boots of speed in the first session so I kite the fuck out of everything. Just wondering if thats all that I'm supposed to be doing. Honestly feels a lot like a mix of a rogue without sneak atack and a valor bard, but with a different (weaker? i still havent decided) spell list.

Male hobgoblins aren't half bad either to be honest

Gonna be a first time GM soon after not a whole lot of playan' but a shit ton of lurkin. Are there any general tips for running this shit? I'm doing this mostly to prove my old GM was fucking awful despite having a couple years of playing on me so I want my players to enjoy this shit as much as possible (not that player enjoyment isn't its own reward). Any variant rules that I should know of or implement or easy mapmaking stuff I could do? Right now the biggest challenge to me seems like just making maps for PCs to use in combat so that I can see traps and shit while they can't. General setting stuff is a bit more morally gray, no always evil shit, but leaning more towards chaos rather than order.
I'd be thankful for any help at all.

How the frick frack paddy whack do you get past a player spamming detect good/evil.
Betrayal gross character!

Just once I'd like to have a magic item be a piece of alien tech... Or maybe I just want to play Numenera.

*Grows

kobolds wearing garbage are adorable

Maybe make your villains humanoid?

Read the spell description.
Then have your player read the spell description.
Here:
>For the duration, you know if there is an aberration, celestial, elemental, fey, fiend, or undead within 30 feet of you, as well as where the creature is located.
Notice how it doesn't actually detect alignments, just creature types that are generally aligned one way or the other (and elementals because whatever).
I sure hope you haven't been sending Evil demons DISGUISED as humans at the party. Just send a normal human who happens to be Evil.

Use the theatre of mind and do away with the grids and minis. Theyre good and all, but players tend to get a lot more into it if you brush up on your descriptive skills and get them to really feel the environment as opposed to looking at it via top-down grid. Make sure you mention objects they can interact with mid combat - tables, chairs, chandeliers, candlestands and the like. Try to use all the senses, funky smells give them warnings about possible kobolds or goblins deeper in the dungeon, cool air wafting through suggesting some kind of air vents, the sound of trickling water echoing throughout the dark chamber and so forth.

Goodluck and godspeed, user.

>doesn't even read the spell descriptions he complains about
What kind of shit DM

Give me some F U N character ideas to run.
U
N

par for the course on Veeky Forums

Is Fifth Edition Foes not in the Mega or am I just critical shitting my perception check?

INT 8 STRONK WIZARD.

How do orcs kiss?

Thats my problem, the big bad cult use undead as front line soldiers and bodyguards.

The racial negatives were intended to be a combination of flavor and balance, since some of these powers were, I feared, overpowered without something to balance them, ala Sunlight Sensitivity or Small.

So, you think that maybe I should just dump them all?

>Banshee
Banshees do have a necromantic affinity, but not actual disease protection. In fact, fluff-wise they're known for being frail and sickly, and they suffered -2 Con back in 3.5. They're essentially a race of Dirgesingers - or whatever that "necromantic bard" PRC was in 3.5. Debuffing their scream attack does sound fair, though.

>Bestial
Problem with these guys is that 1, as you've noted, they do have some obvious mechanical overlap with lizardfolk as "man-beasts who don't need artifice to kill", and 2, they do have quite a bit of variety in their possible themes. The Amazing Seal-Boy is not the same as the Incredible Wolf-Girl, even if both, thematically, are Bestial Calibans. Appreciate the suggestion that I should tweak their movement mutations.

>Brute
Glad that this one sounds okay. I was really struggling to make this one unique given we have half-orcs and goliaths, at the least, as "big bruisers".

>Cannibal
As I said above, Banshees are more "ghostly, eerie beauties", but these guys are more Lovecraftian Ghouls - slinking around in the shadows, eating corpses and murdering people. I actually need to double-check my lore to remember why I gave them It Will Not Die.

>Witchspawn
I'd love to give them more specific spells, but I couldn't think of anything. Since we've got the Abyssal Tiefling, who generates all three of its spells randomly each time it takes a long-rest, I figured a deliberate selection would be fair. Hmm... as for what to do with Blood Magic, it's a fair cop; your suggestion actually sounds pretty cool too, many thanks for sharing it! Maybe go with your take and leave the "you can burn Hit Dice to power up your spell-like abilities" aspect as a racial feat...

8 int mountain dwarf wizard with a battleaxe.

queer paladin

Locking tusks.

with their mouths like regular fucking humanoids?

lol

Popcorn initiative.

Talk with players about what they want, give them most of it, but surprise them a bit too, that'll help with your chaos.

Be prepared as fuck, write out a plan for every possiblity. You'll throw it away, but it's nice to have

Well, A) undead aren't going to be betraying the party because they're stupid and without guile, and B) no one should need a magical spell to determine that the five bodyguards this guy has are rotting zombies or clanking skellingtons

Have them hire some goddamn mercenaries for a change

>G U N

I like the goblin art
I dont like the kobold art
Black wizard amuses me

In Forgotten Realms, eskimo kisses are called orc kisses.

But their tusks make it impossible

>tfw rolled a paladin once who, as part of his backstory, took the fall for a 'crime' committed by someone else
>pussied out on adding that the someone else was a guy he loved

Every time I try to include stuff like that in a backstory I find myself cringing until I remove it.

KNOW
YOUR
FUCKING
RULES

Know that forced movement does not provoke opportunity attacks
Know how grappling, shoving, disarming (optional), and Help actions work
Memorize what each skill does and when it's rolled
Learn how Hiding works
Know what the various conditions (stunned, paralyzed, restrained, charmed, etc.) are and what they do
Be clear on object interaction rules (or be prepared to houserule half of them away if you think they're dumb [which they are])
If you have casters in your party, get their spell lists in advance and at least read their descriptions through once or twice before the session starts--here's a handy PDF

Write all the (non-spell) shit down on a single piece of paper or two so you're not flipping through manuals or PDFs for a minute 20 times a session
If you know you're going to be using X creatures in a session, have the most relevant parts of their statblocks written down as well

Here's another single-HTML page tool, this time for items (both magical and otherwise; I made it leave out all the various types of gems).

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/157339657594601472/259829598605279235/items.html

I'll probably do some work on it later to make sorting by weapon type or source easier, but it's usable for what it is now.

This reminds me... in a setting that's basically "more advanced Eberron, until World War blew it to hell with arcane nuke-stand-ins", how inappropriate is sleek, baroque enviro-suit armor that mechanically functions similar to the Survival Mantle? You know, just the survivors trying to craft a suit that will keep out the worst of the poisonous gasses and pseudo-radioactive fallout?

You dont know that.

And if you believe it, you lack imagination.

Just think about it you sick perverted fuck.

I gotta know, user, are you manually typing all this shit out to enter it into these tools or scraping them from some other resource?

You are once again Best Poster.
The search box reads "Find monster..." still, though.

The XML files were put together by a reddit group for the "Fight Club 5th Edition" app, I just wrote a JavaScript parser for it.

Can you release it with an open source license? I can think of some improvements

"Oh no, one of my players actually gets to use their class feature to advance the narrative"

Fuck off, your rotting guardsmens and skellybones aren't fooling or betraying anything except the cult's poor sense of logistics.

Just go ahead and edit it. The XML stuff is all copyrighted stuff anyway, and it uses Bootstrap for the layout which is under an MIT license. I even put a comment at the top of this (and the latest bestiary.html) just for you, opensourceanon.

Make the cult members less evil and more misunderstood. main guy isn't even trying to become a lich or is part of a death cult or anything, just wants to turn around the local economy by creating spooky skeletons and zombies to do all the manual labor and such. Tell the party with his dying breath and make them feel guilty as fuck.

>Dragon Slayer (SWORDS)
>Giant Slayer (SWORDS)
>Flame Tongue (SWORDS)
>Nine Lives Stealer (SWORDS)
what the fuck does wotc have against non-sword weapons
there's like 10 specific magical non-swords and, aside from the above categories, like 50 more fucking specific magic swords

Cool thanks, I'll take a look at it later

>tale of the archlich greentext
Not sure if Shit Taste or Best Taste.

Damnit google, quiche is not a fucking pizza.

Well the elemental plane are in my opinion one of the most primal energy about DnD
Spirit animals feel too much hippy duppy
I mean a barbarian following the path of the earth elemental would be sturdy like a rock, unwavering like the earth itself
The air path provide freedom, sharpness and swiftness like the wind
I'm not sure yet about the wolf equivalent
Fire seem good to match the overwhelming aspect of the wolf but i'm not convinced yet

Where'd you find these?

Aw you caught me user. Still a fucking excellent idea though. And fucking great to put up against a newbie group of adventurer's to question their own morals and that of the world early on.

I'm gonna be playing a Rogue soon, can someone give me a indepth on how hiding works in and out of combat?

dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/113120/102960078?loadFresh=true&title=11_01_Cover

The latest issue of the dragon+ magazine

It's all concept art from Dragon+.

These are by Tyler Jacobson

These and pic related are by Richard Whitters

>There is no such spell among the spell descriptons. Sounds like something that became part of
Imprisonment and escaped the editor’s undoubtedly watchful eye.

kek

Stolen. Perfect. Thank you.

You can attempt to hide from a creature that can't see you.

You usually roll your stealth check either against the creature's passive perception (if it's not doing anything in particular), or against its perception check (if it's actively searching).

You can be hidden from some enemies while not being hidden from others.

If an enemy is unaware of you, you have advantage on attack rolls against it.

>Dragon+
?

What actions are possible in 5e?
I'm coming from 4e and 3e.

No probs me china

What do you mean by "actions?"

Youve got your action, move, bonus action (if given to you by an ability) and reaction (again, given to you by an ability)

Pretty straight forward.

It's an app for mobile that they post monthly short magazine-style thingies onto. Alternatively, you can just go to dragonmag.com.

Posting more Richard Whitters

>reaction (again, given to you by an ability)
Also if you ready an action it uses your reaction when triggered

Tom Babbey

I stand corrected.

That's less WotC and more all fantasy literature and worldbuilding ever.

I demand a better version of the four elements monk! Bring it to me!

It's in the homebrew trove in the OP you chungus.

No. go look for it yourself you lazy fuck.

I don't know if I can go back to martial classes after I played a full casters in a oneshot game

Help me /5eg/...

And now I'm playing cookie clicker again. Fuck you very much.

BRING IT HERE YOU DUMB FUCKING CUNT I'LL KILL YOU

It's somewhere in third party mats.

This website is pretty handy for a quick rulecheck on action and conditions.

crobi.github.io/dnd5e-quickref/preview/quickref.html

Thanks guys.

embrace the superiority and versatility that is a full caster..... muahahahaha....

youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c

You'll be fine.

THAT'S IT YOU GODDAMN PIECE OF SHIT YOU'RE DONE

youtube.com/watch?v=Sagg08DrO5U

/5eg/, I need your help!
I'll be running a Solstice Festival. Tell me what you guys think of these activities, and if you have any suggestions please share! I stole most of these directly from Chrono Trigger.

>Fight a Shield Guardian
If you can deal 50 damage to it before getting knocked out you win a prize. They can also opt to arm wrestle it for a lower cost, and they get a smaller prize if they win
I'd love some suggestions for prizes here

>High Striker
Small one is a DC 20 Atheletics check (you get a little owlbear plushy), big one is a DC 27 (you get a lifesize owlbear plushy)

>Honeybeer Drinking Contest
Characters pay 2 GP to get in. Contest is between four participants to see who can drink the most beers in 30 seconds. Drinks have a base of DC 5 CON saving throw. Each beer you drink increases it by 1, and You can drink an extra drink per round, increasing the DC by an additional 2 (i.e. on round 1 first drink would be DC 5, second drink would be DC 8, third drink would be DC 11, but the first drink on round two would be DC 8). Winner gets half the pay in.
I already know that my players will want to use Dwarf poison resistance for this, should I let them?
>Jousting comptetition
Suggestions for simulating this would be appreciated!

>footrace
The other big competitive attraction. Whoever can run the fastest 400 m dash wins! Grand prize is a magic item.
I need suggestions on NPCs to include. Nothing too min max-ey please, I want to give my players a chance to win. I'll also be using these rules: enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?470894-How-the-heck-do-you-use-the-Chase-rules-in-the-DMG/page3#ixzz4SySzCaKb

>Fortune teller
There will be a fortune teller who will provide tarot readings upon request. I'll be running this with actual tarot cards. I plan to have the fortune teller become a major adversary later.

Any other suggestions for sights/attractions? It's being put on by a major adventurer's guild ala Fairy Tale

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Maybe I'm blind and can't see the file in the homebrew section, but has anyone made any compilation of homebrewed magic items I might be able to see? I'm running a relatively high magic campaign where magic items are common, but I don't want to start dishing out some of the more powerful items yet so I want some more low-level/basic magic items, and when I do I want some more variety to choose from. I can make my own of course, and I intend to, but the inspiration never hurts.

Greased Pig chasing. Roll a d10, and on a 10 the pig is at the attraction. For each subsequent attraction, lower the number to 9, 8, and so on. The pig has a +10 to its grapple check, which decreases by 2 for each attempt.

Do both and play a Valor Bard.

So I just got an Alchemy Jug from yesterday session.

It can produce 8 ounce of acid per day. Is that enough for 1 vial?

>shield guardian
Large prize is a minor magical potion of some sort - something with low value
small prize is a fine trinket of ambiguous value.

>drinking contest
sure, though technically they can get in trouble for 'cheating'. altogether, the final prize of the game shouldnt be more than 50 gold, so thats fine.

>jousting competitoin
reflavor a series of grapple checks, continual atheletics checks first to grapple, then pin the opponent. first to pin for 3 rounds wins.

>footrace
get a commoner with the mobile feat. dont let it be a wood elf. alternatively, pick a wood elf, and a ranger with longstrider or something to that effect. That alone should be a big enough challenge.

>Fortune teller
sounds like an excellent opportunity to introduce the bad guy this way. You can have him/her taint the readings somehow and give the players vibes that something isnt right with this character. maybe think they are a charlatan of sorts until the tarot readings become true throughout the rest of the festival.

>drinking contest
Dwarves and other poison-resistant races compete with each other to keep things fair.

>jousting
Just a regular jousting combat. Whoever gets knocked out of saddle loses.

>footrace
I suggest a longer race, with obstacles. Team-based. The team that first gets to the finish, in full, wins. Everything, short of killing other participants or bystanders, is allowed, knocking them out is okay.

So is getting featured in dragon+ a go ahead for using stuff in a campaign?

I'm fine with this for most environments but totally? Sorry but no, my old GM described fucking nothing and made combat, the only goddamn part of his game mind you since he removed all exploration and investigation by autopathing us places and just handing out answers through DMPCs respectively, boring shit where we mashed statblocks at each other. A map isn't to make my life easier or harder, its to give them the ability to make better, more sound decisions in a strategic sense. If combat happens there is going to be enough themeing that its not just math but strategy and I don't quite trust myself enough to have that happen off only my descriptions of a combat area without a reference sheet.