That feeling when campaigns never seem to end

>That feeling when campaigns never seem to end
>No matter how long they've been going
>No campaign ever seems to be complete even if it's been going on for months or longer

Nigga get some closure

I don't think you necessarily need to have extensively thought it out, but I think it's a huge mistake to not have some sort of ending in mind when you make a campaign

I like using the not-ending. Like, the current arc or storyline or whatever gets solved, but there's room to come back to the setting and the characters later if the group wants.

>group has rotating GM order
>that one faggot always tries to rush games to their end and draws out his own games as long as possible

>Talk about running a GURPS multiverse game over the break
>Didn't know who'd end up GMing
>Write up a campaign outline that's only 4-5 sessions long
>Talk to buddy
>His plan would be to have a mega campaign lasting months or years made up of several 2-3 session mini-campaigns for each universe we go to.
I'm still excited to run it with him cause I'll get to be a mech pilot with a magic sword or some crazy shit, but fuuuuuuuck.

>Our campaign couldn't finish because one player is leaving for a job in a different state and we couldn't get together to finish the last dungeon
I'm just going to write a short story to provide some closure, because fuck that.

>That feeling when games always end after a handful of sessions because players or GMs get bored or frustrated.

This is the feeling I know.

>Rest of group slowly disappears one by one
>GM recruits new folks
>Start new game
>Repeat

>that feeling when my group meets so infrequently that we can't even finish premade adventures.

The only thing we've finished is a meatgrinder we started to fuck around with high level shit for the first time ever

The shittiest part is that the majority of people who post here seem to have no trouble finishing campaigns.

Like, are we some kind of anomaly where we can't finish games?

I've never finished anything campaign style game running or playing. I've only ever finished one shots or short two and three session games.

Rolled 17 (1d100)

fug

>Campaign going on for three years
>do it in Arcs
>completed arcs include:
>Lockjaw
>The Goblin Room Experiment
>True King
>Fey Frontier
>Dreams of a Prince
>Dragon Camp
>Rovas Time
>Codename: Wendigos
>next planned legs of adventure:
>The World's Fair
>Keg in the Sky
>Dream's End
>Where We Fall

Where We Fall will be the level 20 adventure and the culmination of 4 years of game mastering and playing, a slowly building world, bizarre adventures, and a very big cast. I've been both player and GM (I GM'd until Dreams of a Prince, another player GM'd Dragon Camp, I GM'd Rovas Time, and another player GM'd Codename Wendigos. I'm coming back for The World's Fair). The adventure took characters from level 5 to 17 and into mythic ranks, and now we're approaching 20.

It's been a good time. We're drawing to a close soon.

No one gives a fuck.

user, he's just waving his dick around to feel better.

I thought we were talking about never ending games. My seemingly never ending one seems to be entering its twilight.

It comes across as "Look at this great long campaign I've been playing in! And look! Its getting a satisfying conclusion soon!"

Would you like some peanut butter with that jelly?

Yes, please.

>He has this shit separated into arcs
>This guy has had this going for almost 4 years, and he's divided it up into clear arcs
>He's actually getting his group to level 20 and the mythic ranks when he finishes

Got to say, user, you've made me want to give up playing because I know I'll never have a GM like you or a group as dedicated as yours. I just want one campaign that goes up to level 15, but almost none of mine go past... 7th or 8th. Sometimes, I think it's my fault since it seems when I join a group, shit starts going down that makes it impossible for people to attend, put up with each other, or just lose interest in a campaign after a few months. Maybe I'm cursed or something.

I GM.
This feeling is exhausting, especially when you watch players come and go. It took us two bleeding years to get to seventh level and the player who's stuck around the longest implied he wanted to get to twentieth. How do you respond to that?
I mean, I want to finish the campaign satisfyingly too, but it seems like that means tacking another six months at the end of every six months.

you just sound terrible jealous

the neverending is the end user. like a kids tv show. They adventure forever isnt that great?

I'm sure for every campaign that gets completed there are thousands that don't. its common to not finish campaigns

This. Nothing disappoints like setting unrealistic goals. Why would you try to plan out a recreational activity for two years?

Play a picaresque, or shorter campaigns where you can achieve some closure in a couple months real time.

I was always bummed when campaigns ended before we could level up much... but IMO that was only a big issue when playing post Hasbro D&D because you have to play forever to unlock the really cool abilities or stand a chance against the more interesting challenges.

In earlier editions, you start out shit and get pretty badass by level 5. Even wizards and clerics can get the fun of casting high level spells with scrolls at any time. You're not stuck waiting for the "fun" part of the game to start.

>Play epic campaign that alone will take us about 2 years to complete.
>Look up the side adventures for it and calculate about 3~4 years for it.
>Actually keep the group together and play the last adventure module for it after 3 1/2 years.
>We kick the BBEG's guy ass
>Our characters all die a sad death in the process
>Feel empty inside since the whole journey is now at an end

I feel like nothing will ever top that campaign. This was the absolute climax of all P&P games I played and will play in the future. Everything seems so worthless now and I don't even want to make other characters. I just want to somehow revive the whole group for a real happy ending and continue doing adventures.

I just want to go back and experience it again.

In a game for a year now.
Arc takes place over the course of a weekend, real time is months of work.
Finally come to the end of the arc, first real closure ever in a role playing game.
We've started the campaign again with no end in sight. At the pace of hours every few weeks will kill me.

>post Hasbro D&D
Well yeah, that's what you get when your designers have such illustrious credentials as "was a cashier for a place that sold TSR shit" and "really liked Rollmaster". a fuckload of cargo cult writing that should have been scrapped entirely and redone by anyone with a mL of real math and/or game design experience.

The reason so many games don't finish is, in my experience, a slavish dedication to rules written by people who only got their jobs through nepotism and cronyism. When there's a couple obscenely good options and a hundred traps, everyone who didn't pick the "right" path gets bored to fuck and quits.

Maybe you need to level faster?

I played a campaign where the DM insisted on using the "go back a level, be at half" rules when you get resurrected. We died often. It's bad enough crawling at that hours pace, but when you backtrack? FUCK that noise.

>made cool wizard hybrid concept
>I pick fun options and fun spells
>lol jokes on me, they are actually garbage
>one session i did NOTHING because EVERY enemy made their save or I missed
>party beats everything no problem, like i wasn't even there
>realize my character is absolutely worthless to the party and in general
>got bored to fuck and quit
You nailed it on the head user.