Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Would you rather be quietly accepted into a campaign without /pfg/ caring about it, or have a super-popular character app for a high-profile /pfg/ campaign (like RotJR) that everyone cheers for but doesn't make the GM's cut?
You guys seem to prefer the latter, so maybe that's why RotJR is so popular?

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/traits/tools/traits-filter
d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war
d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed
spheresofpower.wikidot.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I would prefer the former, because that means I get to ,you know, play?

I'd take the former.

>d20pfsrd.com/traits/tools/traits-filter

I didn't see any traits for switching Profession to Charisma.

the former

/pfg/ just likes shouting about memes

Definitely the former, given the choice.

What's the profession in question?

I think I figured out the reason most of /pfg/ doesn't play.

From what I've seen when people suggest not allowing all of DSP content, or not all races (plus 3rd party races), or suggest using golarion (except if it's an AP for some odd reason) /pfg/ will have extreme adverse reactions.

I'm not saying everyone has an adverse reaction to everything, but most folks here have a few things that trigger their autism something fierce which bars them from applying to the majority of games.

Heck, if I said:
"I'm running a game in a custom setting, you can play Humans, Orcs, half-orcs, plus these custom races." most folks would say "Fuck touching that with a 10-foot pole, I can't play kitsune". In fact I saw essentially that post responded to with people bitching they couldn't be "cute". It's very odd.

It seems for most of the people in no game hell it is to a large degree a hell of their own design.

thanks for trying

It's almost like /pfg/ isn't a hive mind.
I need Psionics at an absolute minimum. Path of War is preferred but not necessary.

I'm fine with race restrictions. I hate most fantasy races anyway.

Not a huge fan of Golarion, but it isn't a deal breaker.

My word that is a cute elf.

/pfg/ will throw a fit if a game bans any of the following:

1. Initiators.
2. Full casters.
3. Full manifesters.
4. Spheres of Power.

Even if it allows lots of other 3pp, like psionics and avowed and masquerade reveler and whatever, ban any of those four and /pfg/ riots.

Why?

I just read the Brewkeeper leaks.....
I can't believe I never thought to make an alcoholic alchemist before. Like bathtub brewin' moonshine tier. This prestige class is everything I've ever wanted.

Personally, I don't play because I now work 60 hours a week.

Maybe next year will be better.

That's what I'm saying. Not everyone is triggered by everything, but most folks are triggered by 1 or 2 common things to a point it bars them for most games.

>I think I figured out the reason most of /pfg/ doesn't play.
Counterpoint: it's hard to find some to DM, and lots of people would prefer to play in person, making it even more difficult to find a group.

whatever you said is cute, too, I guess.

I work 40-45 hour weeks and I have a hard time making time (I go to the gym for 10 hours a week as well though).

What's an initiator
what's a full manifester
what's a sphere of power

Sorry, I just have the CRB.

I'm talking about online games. In person games are an entirely different animal. No game hell for people who only want to do in person games is an entirely different issue most of the time and has lots of its own problems.

Well, given how long most sessions are and how much time this hobby takes up why WOULD you play in a game with criteria you wouldn't find acceptable.

No game is better than a bad game.

It's definitely easy to point out the problem, but after playing a couple of bad games it's not hard to start singling out certain recurring problems. I've never had a good experience with a campaign centered around androids, but I try to keep an open mind.

Because at its core, Pathfinder is about options. And to take any away is to take away why people still play the game, next to people playing just to see crazy cool shit and interact with other characters.

Apparently I've let the bard take Perform (seduction), is this dumb or not?

An initiator is a class that uses maneuvers from Path of War. It's like the Tome of Battle, but for Pathfinder.

>d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war

A full manifester is a class that has 9th level psionic powers.

>d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed

A Sphere of Power is an alternate magic system.

>spheresofpower.wikidot.com/

>when people suggest not allowing all of DSP content

Most DSP stuff is ported versions of 3.5 official stuff. I think most games do better with psionics and weaboo fightan allowed.

>or not all races
No one has a problem with not allowing some races, because technically out there somewhere is a race that's a gargantuan sized creature with a perfect fly speed of 240 and seven bonus feats alongside a rule that says all of its stats are equal to its highest stat.

That is something that makes sense to disallow. But when you're disallowing things that are functionally core races (elves, orcs, halflings) or are *very very* similar in terms of balance, you should have a pretty good reason as to why. Generally a reason much better than "I dont want you playing one" or "they dont exist lul". If you can come up with a compelling backstory, sure i'll let you play a kitsune... if you cant and you're an asshole on top of it, I probably wont.

>suggest using golarion

As far as kitchen sink goes, golarion has problems. Most fantasy settings do (be it FR, Eberron or whatever), and they're generally written with some sort of tone in mind. The tone of golarion is basically "what happens if we let SJW's run amok in forgotten realms", which most people don't want to fucking deal with.

The adventure paths are usually alright though.

Then why is RotJR so popular?

>tfw want to run came in custom setting
>tfw only pathfinder race that is playable are humans

I can post the brief descriptions of the other races. They are for the most part human subspecies mutated by one of the setting features. Heck I could post their descriptions if people cared.

What perform check would puppets fall under?

Strings?

Heck if I know, pal.

We just like memes. It's the only thing we know for real; it's the rules of nature. Like a collective consciousness dictating our actions; a red sun and a hot wind telling us to be our own masters now. It has to be this way, for a stranger we remain.

Because it's all memeing about characters and not actually playing any game.

kek, probably just Act though.

Because weebs

Because it's a gestalt game with generous character creation rules.

Plus it's fascinating to see what kinda characters /pfg/ makes. Most of the fucking general is in that fucking waiting room, though at this point some people are probably just observing.

Because it's a vocal collection of faggots who sometimes shill their faggotry ironically just to try and fuel discussion. Most people don't apply or talk about RotJR.

I'm one of the ironic faggots, it's hard to repeatedly talk about something you really like without coming across as an annoying faggot, so why not identify myself as one

>Most people don't apply or talk about RotJR.
There are 80 people in the waiting room, most of the general is in there. Even accounting for "observers".

Depends on the routine. If it's a hand puppet joke show it's comedy. If it's storytelling it's oratory. If it's making them dance it's other stuffs.

Yes, because that's not a specific performance. He can take Perform (sexy dance) or Perform (Manilow-esque crooning) but seduction isn't a specific act.

So you're saying perform(anal orgasm) is a valid performance?

Because it got people chatting up character building and ideas. The campaign itself doesn't really matter That much, Back HV was taking requests it had a huge boon.

Oh. IDGAF about those things. Ty for answering!

>Generally a reason much better than "I dont want you playing one" or "they dont exist lul"
How is "This setting doesn't have X" not a good enough reason? Why would you need a better reason?

Yes. I'd give it Bluff and Intimidate for Versatile Performance.

If your setting doesn't have the core kitchen sink fantasy races, it's immediately suspect.

It better have some really compelling shit in it, or most people probably aren't going to bother.

>If your setting doesn't have the core kitchen sink fantasy races, it's immediately suspect.
Why? When the fuck have no elves, gnomes, etc been a deal breaker?

Quite frankly, a lot of my bitching about PoW comes from the fact that it's the only thing that ever gets paired with paired with "Gestalt, possibly with with SoP allowed" whenever a game comes up, and I don't like any of the initiating classes when you throw gestalt into the mix. Except maybe Stalker. Maybe in PoW Expanded 2: initiator Boogaloo I'll find some archetypes I fall in love with, but right now I'm just kind of sick of it.

What if the only 1 racial HD humanoid-shaped races in my setting are humans and kitsune?

>elves, gnomes, etc
>not core fantasy races.

In most peoples versions of fantasy, deleting these races leaves large blank spaces that are hard to fill, that most people try to just handwave away. If you were to delete the dwarves, elves, hobbits or orcs from lord of the rings you'd end up with a very different story.

What if you hung youself

Did Athas have regular Gnomes?

Its shit.

So how broken can someone using PoW really be in combat? What maneuvers are the worst offenders?

No one played dark sun because it was too hard to follow the [how to survive] rules. Fucking athasian half-giants drink too much goddamn water.

No, Gnomes went extinct.
>In most peoples versions of fantasy, deleting these races leaves large blank spaces that are hard to fill
What?

What does a setting gain or lose by replacing elves with humans that live in the forest and love nature more than city folk?
>LotR would be different if you took away shit that was important to the story there
No shit.

Steel Flurry Strike+Reflected Blade Style while in a damage stance.

Is there anything in PoW more retarded than that?

>implying all fantasy is LotR
>implying people are telling the same story as LotR and therefore need those races

what the fuck are you on about

Using Flurry Strikes from Broken Blade.

There's some stuff in Elemental Flux and Thrashing Dragon that people want nerfed, but I forget what they were.

The most commonly mentioned one is Broken Blade, and more specifically Steel Flurry Strike.

Brevoy Bandit can solve that problem right up, actually!

I'd question why Skinwalkers aren't also there, since they're effectively more primal kitsune based on Paizo.

What If you pleasure me with that cute little fox mouth of yours

Then it's time to start looking at the wildlife for options.

>If you can come up with a compelling backstory, sure i'll let you play a kitsune...
To add onto this I have in the past had custom race lists and most often do not allow elves. This to a degree is because of extremely aged characters (sometimes several hundred years old) is something I personally dislike in the hands of PCs because I have never seen someone play one convincingly. In addition I simply do not want that kind of longevity and hindsight on the player's side. Also I simply do not want elves and instead have humans + custom races.

However I have had people throw fits specifically over elves, whining over "I want to be an elf" despite the fact I have said there are none.

My last custom race list was the following:
>Humans
>Vodyanoy
>Borovoi
>Rusalka
>Domovoi
>Kikimora

>Level one, gives you two attacks at full BAB as a -standard action-

this is completely retarded. You have to take 10 feats for two weapon fighting to have it STILL suck ass, and they just hand you an extra attack at full BAB and it's not even a full round action?

Ok, whoever wrote this had no clue what they were doing. I understand martial shit is stupidly underpowered as written, but to just ignore the design in place so completely is pretty poor form.

Specifically, stuff like Steel Flurry Strike applied to stuff that isn't unarmed strikes or weaker monk weapons like quarterstaves. When applied to things like Santsukons or greatswords, things get stupid-powerful real quick.

>be level 6 initiator

>wield a sansetsukon (or a WMH custom monk two-hander)

>be in Pugilist Stance or Primal Warrior Stance

>Steel Flurry Strike with REFLECTED BLADE STYLE

How stupid bullshit strong is this?

>that list
Yeah I wouldn't fucking bother. Let me like an elf.

>tfw actively try to die
>literally surrounded by 8 dudes
>dice won't let me fall

I want off this ride.

God fucking dammit I just giggled so loud my neighbor smashed his fist on my wall.

What are half of those?
Anyway how is this for player races
>Humans
>Goblinoids
>Modified Orcs
>Dorfs
>Elves depending on the region
>Tieflings refluffed as being weak full on fiends depending on the region.

I want to make a character that uses a breath weapon unironically.

I am willing to sacrifice... anything for this. It doesn't have to be good, it just has to be my primary form of offense.

3.0/3.5 and any 3pp allowed.

Go next door and cum in their mouth to establish dominance.

>wanting to lose
What are you, gay?

I'd rather cum in your mouth!

dragon-pact avowed spamming the aether breath form.

Alchemists get a breath weapon discovery eventually. Does the character have to start at level 1?

This is Exactly what I wanted.
And people say fox posters are the worst.

>mfw Avowed betroathed to a dragon

Bunch of russian/slavic folk lore races.

I just want a new character

Look in Legacy of Dragons.

There's also the Draconic Sorcerer bloodline and the Dragon Disciple prestige class.

user, I know that man's pain, I myself have tried to make a character die consistently for the past seven months.

Can't you just retire the character without killing it?

Not that user, but not all GMs allow this.

That could get pretty silly.

It's literally possible right from level 1, user.

Imagine being betroathed to a silver dragon's egg, which will eventually hatch to be a spunky silver-haired brat that knows more than you do even while she's busy shaking off the embryonic fluid.

So something I've noticed for wizards both as a player and as a GM is that they have piss poor saves.

Out of all classes they have some of the worst support for saves (the best being Barbarian/Paladin/Bloodrager). Besides will save (and even will save because no class features and not a huge incentive to pump will) a wizard once forced into combat has a really bad time against anyone who is forcing saves in their direction. As a GM I have had players throw fits over this (the one I remember distinctly was a "wizards are the OP" type). Spells don't do a great job of helping saves (there are very few direct buff to a save spells) and wizards don't have as many reroll abilities as other full casters (particularly certain witches/clerics).

Why do wizards have such ass saving throws?

Then why wasn't Drow on the list?

Funny thing, I was planning an RotJR char that focused on this particular concept. He was a noble knight who was sent to rescue a princess from a dragon...only to realize that the princess was a dragon. Sure, he hates being set up, but his duty is to protect people...even if they're secretly fifteen feet tall and scaly.

I didn't go through with him because I couldn't really solidify his other gestalt half and I kept feeling guilty that if it does go lewd that it means he'll have to cheat on his darling pregnant dragon wife.

Considered.

Yep, gotta start at level 1.

Certainly examined, but the sorcerer bloodlines have this problem where their uses per day are way too limited.

Thank you all for the assistance.

I certainly could but I thought it'd be cooler to go down heroically. He does have a reason to retire I suppose.

Man where the heck is this girl from? Can't find her anywhere.

>being engaged to a new born
I don't like it.

> that knows more than you do
Silver Dragon Wyrmlings are only trained in Knowledge (local) and only have 14 int. They only have a +12 to the knowledge local.

A level 1 character will have a hard time outclassing their knowledge local, but does in fact know more than them on any other subject that the PC is actually trained in.

You never said how often you wanted to use it.

First off, your other side should have been Paladin.

Secondly, why would he cheat? This is a campaign ran by a human DM, user. You know what that means? If you have a silver dragon waifu, he'll find a way to make her a person in the caravan.

>it just has to be my primary form of offense.
Presumably, I will be attacking more than once per day. It's still a good idea --I might just get some houserules involved.

>Drow
Trow (drow origin) are a Shetlands tradition, not russian.

>Betrothed to an egg

I get the sense you and I may be looking for different things in waifus, user.

>Implying the Silver won't expect you to squire the girl
>Implying I'm not just trying to make you uncomfortable, and in truth you're "betrothed" insofar as the silver's daughter gains power just as you do.