MTG LEGACY GENERAL

TOTALLY BLOWING IT EDITION
Talk about times you've totally blown it.

Thread Rules:
1) Names are allowed for denoting what deck you play
2) Ignore shitposters
3) Don't turn into the Modern General
4) No counterfeit discussion, either for or against. Don't bring them up. Period.

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Blood Moon Stompy variants
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)
>Deadguy Ale
>Landstill
>Affinity
>Oops, All Spells
>Tin Fins

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Non-Eldrazi Moon-less Stompy variants
>Spanish Inquisition
>Ux Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure)

Other urls found in this thread:

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=103571
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=107204
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=105354
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=104993
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=105811
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can get Tin Fins pretty close to built, but I haven't got a solid list picked out. What do people like?

Alright boys, this is it. This is the list I'm taking to the gpt. Jank brought to the forefront.

Nice Scrubland OP. Build cleric tribal.

Nice China man trops, almost passable.

>4. No counterfeit discussion, either for or against. Don't bring them up. Period.

Who do you work for? WOTC or SCG?

>times you totally blew it
Cabal Therapy, name Force of Will, don't see it but do see two Brainstorms.

Proceed to cast another Cabal Therapy mindlessly naming Force of Will again.

How can I beat Delver with Infect? They have so much removal and counterspells, really feels like infect has the short end of the stick in the match up

counterfeiting out-of-print staples doesn't hit wizards' bottom line.

>I abrupt decay your top
>Okay
>so it's destroyed?
>Yeah
>Okay
>put top in graveyard and go fuck now I can't do the 2 top mentor combo and kill him next turn
>realize now that top was untapped and he fucked up first not me and then I proceeded to fuck it so much more

And that is how you lose against nic fit

How can you even tell that? To me it looks like their condition is just a little TOO good. Like they dont have any ware.

noble beats.

So I was watching the SCG deck tech with Joe lossett for his miracles deck. He brings up a really good point about flusterstorm and how powerful it is and how much value you can get out of it. Anyone have input on the right amount to have? I know the usual consensus is to have 1-2 but he plays 3 in his board. With 3 it's seems like it'd be easy to win WAY more counter wars and have your opponents Guard down after you cast 2. What's Veeky Forums's thoughts?

Looking at his list versus some others it seems the extra flusterstorm is in place of a red/pyroblast.

I guess if you expect more spells versus blue permanents, like delver, Jace, and counterbalance, its probably a good call. I think I would rather have the answers for permanents but as with a lot of situations its probably a metagame call.

user asking about deathrite shaman+stoneforge from last thread

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=103571

This is labeled deathblade. I've tried searching and apparently the difference is that deathblade is more midrange/aggro and stoneblade is more control. Is deathblade just stoneblade plus deathrite shaman? Hence the death?

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=107204
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=105354
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=104993

These are labeled stoneblade but have deathrite shaman. Is SCG just wrong?

I like the last list. 104993 by Josh Libassi. Is it fine? Should I add a fourth Force of Will over something like Painful Truths? It's probably stock af but I don't really care about 'spice'.

oh shit, the list I like is 61 cards. Are Thoughtseize and Abrupt Decay the only real things I get out of actually playing black?

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=105811
This looks like it'll play much more aggro, four True Name and four Daze. What actually makes Esper Stoneblade better than Bant Deathblade?

and seriously, what's the difference between death and stoneblade?

It depends on what you want.
DRS is absolutely busted and Thoughtseize improves the combo matchup. Deathblade would be something I'd play over bant Stoneblade due to it actually having DRS, which really is a dumb card.

Soooooo, I tested UBg Reanimator with MD Show and Tell. I wasn't really impressed. What should I play in that spot? Another Ponder? Animate dead?

//Lands
1 Bayou
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Island
4 Polluted Delta
1 Swamp
1 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea

//Spells
4 Brainstorm
4 Careful Study
2 Collective Brutality
3 Daze
4 Entomb
4 Exhume
4 Force of Will
4 Lotus Petal
2 Ponder
4 Reanimate
1 Show and Tell
2 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
1 Archetype of Endurance
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 Griselbrand
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Tidespout Tyrant

//Sideboard
SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
SB: 1 Echoing Truth
SB: 1 Golgari Charm
SB: 1 Grave Titan
SB: 1 Inkwell Leviathan
SB: 1 Massacre
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 3 Show and Tell
SB: 2 Surgical Extraction

why do you post a picture of ur deck in every thread?

so I think the Standstill tech seems sick, pretty sure I've mentioned that before. seems like it lets you play a longer game by slowing down your opponent, but also potentially win out of nowhere by re-gassing your hand. What I don't get is the Grip of Phyresis in the board. Does Jitte fuck with you that bad? wouldn't another Kgrip or a Pithing Needle be better? is it just for spice?

I like pictures of decks.

Jitte molests the fuck out of me. But I like the idea of either having killed jitte and taking a sword, or using the jitte as removal that gets around mother. Who knows if it might be terrible. I haven't actually tested it whatsoever.

Post more deckpics.

don't be afraid to berserk a delver or young pyromancer

resolve sylvan library

inkmoth nexus

it's very skill testing, but I've found the matchup to be roughly even, with rug being the hardest

I thought miracles lost to nic fit by having a bunch of essentially dead counterbalances in their deck

iirc the Counterbalances have less targets than normal, but it's still a creature-based deck vs a deck with a 1 mana boardwipe.

don't a lot of them play dumb shit like sorin grim nemesis? can't terminus that, moterfucker

I think there's a lot of variance in Nic Fit lists, since theres a lot of ways to go when you have so much mana. Terminus disrupts then from working up the Birthing Pod chain and denies them from going to gy.

>Times where you've totally blown it
I miscounted my mana during a storm turn and realized I was 1 short of casting past in flames in my hand and scooped. My opponent points out that I could have cracked the LED and just flashed it back, though he had force to stop me (I had REB and would have had the extra mana I needed to use it)

.shame

I'm playing merfolk vs CounterTop at Knightware in LA.

TWO forces in my hand, one daze. He plays senseis top....

"yeah it resolves"

I almost wanted to just get up and leave magic forever when I did that.

The rare times I do lose to Infect, it's because they got an Inkmoth Nexus out.

Also, iirc, you can Berserk opponent's creatures. It's crazy but can work.

>don't a lot of them play dumb shit like sorin grim nemesis? can't terminus that, moterfucker

All Nic Fit decks play dumb shit. I played against one that was almost literally the KTK/BFZ standard Abzan deck except it had the 4 Veteran Explorer/Cabal Therapy and a couple Meren of Clan Tel Noth.

Dude I played against called it "Standard Nightmares"

The Matchup isn't actually that terrible (I don't think miracles has any super bad matchups besides 12-post). It's around 60-40 for them and it's hard to guess what they have in their deck because no nic fit deck is the same as the next (in my experience at least).

>opponent casts needle
>"sure, resolves."
>opponent looks at me kind of funny
>I look kind of funny right back at him
>"...naming?"
>opponent shrugs, reaches over and taps my 3x Polluted delta
>shame scoop on the spot
He revealed his hand and did in fact have that stifle I was trying to play around, but that was a 100% go commit sudoku moment.

>Duress instead of Thoughtseize
>4th Duress over a 4th Cabal Therapy when you're already running 4 Gitaxian Probe
W-Why..?

not him and I don't play doomsday at all, but thougtseize in a deck where casting your wincon costs half your life seems bad. also, I think they're sometimes supposed to save probe for the combo turn, and he's really just using the discard to clear the way for doomsday to resolve.

Honestly I have no problem with the white border, except for the fact you did the fetches wrong.

This guy pretty much nailed it. There is an argument for thoughtseize in the boad as a wish hit but I still don't like that. The life loss can be very relevant. Sometimes you have to pass the turn after casting dooms day, or cast it 2-3 times in a turn, and 2 life can be significant, especially if you also need to probe and pay life. Duress is better than therapy in many situations, like when you don't know what they have. Even with 4 probe, you don't always have it to synergize with therapy, and it's one of the best can trips to hold to draw into a pile since it costs no mana.

Round 3 at gp side event (I'm on eldrazi opponent is on infect) game 1 eldrazi pound my opponent into dust. Game 2 get bad draws and opponent combos off t3. Game 3 have the absolute nuts hand on the play chalice for 1, on opponents turn they thoughtseize...ok I said...(missed chalice trigger) wanted to slap my own face. Ended up taking my nuts away and got super lucky and won with 9 infect on me...

Fucking chalice trigger uggghhh.
Also fuck that cancerous move.

I've never heard of infect playing thoughtseize, seems bad

also, I think casting cards into chalice is fine in general, but especially in infect, where having them in the graveyard can help cast become immense.

> I don't play doomsday at all, but thougtseize in a deck where casting your wincon costs half your life seems bad.
That happens when you play a bad deck

>I think the deck is bad, so putting in cards that make it objectively worse is fine

>I don't understand how to play combo decks of any kind, so I'm going to talk out my ass and get people bootybothered

it worked

That's rough. I've done stuff like that before.
—Forgotten that Spell Mastery was a thing you needed for Dark Petition
—Played Ad Nauseam and nearly emptied my entire hand, but left an in-hand land on the table that I forgot about so I couldn't Infernal Tutor
—Spent about ten minutes looking for a discard spell to knock out my opponent's Flusterstorm. Played Past in Flames; flashed back cantrips; played Ad Nauseam; flashed back more cantrips; flashed back Ad Nauseam; finally found a Duress and comboed out. Opponent was tapped out the entire time.
—Fetched the wrong type of basic land
—Brainstormed, then rearranged the top 3 cards
—Forgot to play out LED against Pox

is there any rules or ethical concerns about using out of game information in game? like, a reanimator player reanimating a silver bullet game 1 turn 1 because he saw his opponent's last game, or cabal therapy for a certain card because your opponent plays the same deck every week?

I've found myself on both sides of the table to this and wondered how others view it

Animate Dead for sure.

I don't see a problem with it. It's a bit of an inevitability in small metagames, and I don't think it's something for which there's a realistic catch-all solution.

Also, it's not realistic to ask people not to use the information they know to play the game. Too great a chance of someone's throwing the game out of obligation.

Don't make a bunch of cunty rules and your thread won't be halfway down the catalogue next time.
cuz it sounds more like you just don't like people making fun of your terrible proxies
also Protip: you don't need to remind people to ignore trolls, this is Veeky Forums.

We've had the counterfeit discussion before and it shits up the whole thread for hundreds of posts at a time. There's no point in talking about counterfeits because it's doing nothing but arguing in a circle. The only thing anyone can agree on is that they're fine for testing but generally a scummy thing to do when you're going to a big tournament.

favorite flex slot creatures for Death & Taxes

Spirit of the Labyrinth
Vryn Wingmare
Hushwing Gryff
Banisher Priest
Thalia, Heretic Cathar

what are yours?

While playing DDFT, what matchups/scenarios would I want to pass the turn after a doomsday (versus setting up a same-turn pile)?

Of that list, I would go with THC, and Spirit.
Wingmare looks a lot better with the shift to more three drops though.

You can jerk off all you want, that does not change the fact that either ant or tes are better storm decks and Doomsday is a suboptimal build

>Buhuu if you don't Shell thousands of dollars on cardboard then you don't deserve to win buhuu
Cry more faggot

Containment Priest seems good vs SnT and Reanimator. Selfless Spirit seems like it could be a blowout, though the most popular two boardwipes in the format are Deluge and Terminus.

Eh I think doomsday does have its own merits and advantages, it however is a a lot harder to play than other storm variants. Personally I'd rather avoid doomsday and play SI and ANT because they look more fun and easier to play than doomsday.

AnT and TES are faster and both are significantly easier to play (AnT is easiest of the three; TES is the fastest), but that doesn't make Doomsday bad. I think it's probably somewhere between AnT and TES (AnT being best).

Reduced vulnerability to Chalice of the Void and CounterTop are two big advantages to DDFT, but paying half one's life to win is a major risk in a lot of matchups.

So if I ever get enough money to even consider, what merits does each one have?

>you will never have a Legacy deck
>The closest thing to a legacy deck is the agent, shaman, and four matter reshapers

Being a Spike on a budget is suffering.

Can't you respond to the ETB effect?

>Being a Spike on a budget is suffering.

Just build D&T with Ghost Quarter instead of Rishadans

Thanks to Wizards' hardon for white hate creatures and creatures in general and its dislike for anything noncreature, you should be fine.

The core of the deck is cheap AF too

reread pithing needle, bud

Needle says "as" it enters the battlefield, not "when". Can't respond to it. Same shit with iona.

>what merits does each one have?
This is obviously not comprehensive, and lists are always evolving, but...

TES: built for speed, less stability. 8 business spells including burning wish gives it flexibility but also adds branches to the decision trees.

ANT: good combination of speed and stability. Solid mana base, plenty of acceleration, cantrips and business spells. Strong ability to grind out long games due to Past in Flames and the ability to pack multiple Tendrils of Agony.

DDFT: plays less acceleration so gets fewer turn 1-2 kills, but 16-18 lands gives it rock solid manabase. 16 cantrips including SDT, Burning wish, maindeck abrupt decay, and lab maniac make it suprisingly resillient, especially to permanent-based hate and discard. the wealth of options and lines of play make the deck difficult to pilot effectively, and the all-in nature of the namesake card makes the deck unforgiving in the extreme.

>post more deck picks
would appreciate some suggestions or thoughts on this

my god

oh hey reani-

what in gods name is this

you ever consider B/R Reanimator?

I don't have anything constructive, just want to say young Frankenstein is dank af

First I thought it was Reanimator, then I thought it was Pox (which would be pretty cool with Pyromancer), and now I don't know what to think.

Yup that's the general reaction to the deck game 1 and entombing for dread return is hilarious

said it's usually called young Frankenstein but I've gone with Young Reanimator before

This deck is pretty sweet. Honestly I'd drop a card or two for some Cathartic Reunion or Goblin Lore as some extra draw to power through the deck.

Would love to play against it sometime.

Darkblast as a 1 of could be good, kills Flipped Delvers, Pyromancers, SFM, Thalia and DRS while feeding your gy.

No, but I'm interested. Doesn't look too budget from what I'm seeing. Is this one of those things to build up to?

Taxes are an option, it doesn't look fun to play, but beggars can't be choosers.

Yeah more draw would be nice and I've experimented with effects like goblin lore but the cheapness of faithless is what sets it above but I might be wrong
darkblast in the main instead of sideboard would be stronger if my local meta would be a bit different.

I've also been tinkering with zealous persecution against the few pyromancer decks but I think the tutor ability with darkblast is better

i'll be real that looks like the shit time to switch decks again

its pretty dirt cheap for its power relative to other legacy decks
Biggest barriers are duals (maybe you can get away with 2 or 1 with a shock because the life loss really matters) but khans fetches are serviceable enough.

got the whole thing for the cost of a modern deck on abu

I've posted this list before but here it is again.
>Eldrazi Stompy (get in da choppa edition)

>Creatures (basic Stompy list)
4x endless
4x mimic
4x reshaper
4x tks
4x smasher
2x ssg

>Artifacts
2x jitte
4x copter
4x chalice

>Spells
2x wail
1x dismember

>Lands
4x tomb
4x temple
3x eye
3x city of traitors
4x cavern
2x shop
2x wasteland
1x waste ( fluctuates with shop)

>Sideboard
4x faerie macabre
1x rachetbomb
2x wail
1x needle
1x thorn (ideally 3 but I'm lazy)
2x endbringer
2x all is dust
1x graff-digger's cage
1x newlamog

>Copter
Was having issues with bad draws and was thinking of ways to negate that. Obviously I could say splash for brainstorm or perhaps try top (tried probe but that was dumb). However wanting to keep a smooth curve and stay stompy and keep the mana base broken I stayed colorless. This is when I thought of trying the copter out. I'm not trying to take credit for this in anyway (eldrazi Stompy is still being tuned) but so far I have seen nothing but awesome happen with copter out, most of the time it's no problem to cast or activate and against some of the grindy match ups getting in for 3 in the air and looting has won games where even smashers can't!

>TL;DR Try copter In Eldrazi Stompy

what's the card behind fleshbag marauder?

2UB
Starting Loyalty 5
+1 create a colorless artifact token named Etherium Source which has T: sacrifice this and add one mana of any color into your mana pool.

-2 target creature get +x/-x until end of turn which x is the number of artifacts you control.

-7 you get an emblem with "at the beginning of your combat phase,target artifact you control becomes a 5/5 artifact creature."

ehhh, i like the other one better. the one that has 'tutor up a torrential gearhulk' as the plus ability and the -8 is 'win every creature matchup'

another fleshbag marauder in the board

>No deck pic
For shame.

This looks sweet. I was just thinking about putting reanimator pox together for tomorrow's weekly event. I think I'm just going to borrow cards for Sultai Loam pox though.

Infect GPT report:

Top 8, lost in the semi finals to BR reanimator.
Matches were:
Storm W
Eldrazi and Taxes L
Shardless W
Abzan Enchantress W (fucking sweet list)
Blood Moon Stompy ID
Top 8:
Sultai Nic Fit W
BR Reanimator L
Smallish turnout, but it snowed hella this weekend and the shop was about 45 minutes from where pretty much everyone who attended lives. Fun time though. Not going to Louisville unfortunately.

>abzan enchantress
whoah what was the black for?

Not too shabby, here's my thoughts:

>2UB
This is great, it needed to be 3-4 CMC to be playable. Comes out on turn 2 off Sol Land/Mox+Signet opener.

>Starting Loyalty 5
Survives a punch from SFM and the Batterskull it summoned the turn before if you tick up. Planeswalkers often act as a health buffer since your opponent usually needs to kill them to stay in a stable state and this guy buys a lot of time.

>+1 create a colorless artifact token named Etherium Source which has T: sacrifice this and add one mana of any color into your mana pool.
Ok, so he can effectively cost Hybrid U/B and 2. Shame they aren't creature tokens instead but this has a lot of potential.

>-2 target creature get +x/-x until end of turn which x is the number of artifacts you control.
This is why I'm playing him, the reason I was playing around with Grixis was for Daretti, Iconoclast since he provides a removal engine that roadblocks most creature decks but now this guy comes down and can kill something and still be at a respectable 3 loyalty.

>-7 you get an emblem with "at the beginning of your combat phase,target artifact you control becomes a 5/5 artifact creature.
This is isn't great, but once he's Dismembered all of your opponents creatures it does give you a wincon. Nothing will ever really compare to how reachable AoB is at only -4.

literal trash lol, ironically the tezz for babbies is better

I'll take one tomorrow for your sick fetishist ways

Also wow I'm stupid forgot the
1x urborg and 1x karakis
Fuck me

Fine for Standard. Offers removal and feeds the incoming artifact convoke mechanic. We need to see the rest of the set before judging him fully if there's something broken in an older format (Paradoxical Outcome as an example) in Aether Revolt.

Seemingly only for doomwake giant and some Sideboard cards. He was also running Eidolon of blossoms and Sigil of the Empty Throne. It was so sweet. I wanted more of all of it.

You know what turns me on.

Modern-Babby here.

What is the Lantern Control of Legacy?

I'm not necessarily talking about a deck that locks your opponent out. I'm talking about a deck that makes your opponent sit down and say "Oh. You're playing THAT deck..."

>Be at JewCity with a friend and decide to play some Modern
>He's playing Lantern Control
>I'm playing Bant Gifts
>Brad Nelson comes up
>"Is this seriously what you guys do for fun? Play Lantern Control?"
>whatafag.jpg

I'd love some input on this Legacy brew.

4 Bloodghast
4 Nether Traitor
4 Ophiomancer
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Haunted Dead
2 Braids, Cabal Minion
4 Bitterblossom
4 Contamination
4 Smokestack
3 Trading Post
4 Crystal Vein
4 Peat Bog
4 Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai
8 Swamp
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

It's kind of a Stax deck, but with Contamination acting as kind of a stronger Blood Moon. Ideally lock the opponent out of the game until the Stax engines are online.

Eggs. Playing against Eggs is fucking miserable because it's just solitaire for an hour.

>legacy Eggs
Go on.

Google a deck list? It just involves playing a shit-ton of cheap artifacts that sacrifice themselves then using Second Sunrise to bring them all back again and repeat the process. It involves a lot of shuffling and once the opponent goes off, you're generally stuck waiting to see if they can kill you while their turn stretches into 20 minutes of not interacting with you or your permanents.

needs more dark rits

Needs a little bit of targeted removal.

Stay poor faggot.

Stay butthurt faggot

Thanks for keeping the thread bumped guys really appreciate all the hard work you put in.

You'll probably want Chalices, in the sb at leat. Maybe Smallpox too.

More Dark Rituals, less Trading Post. Also consider Rain of Filth, Pox effects, and Toxic Deluge.

Any thoughts on BR Reanimator?